Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I've been looking around and haven't seen a thread on bike racks. I personally have a Thule on the back of my rig, but I'd like it to be higher up so I don't bump it on rocks. So I was thinking about adding a 10" riser to my trailer hitch for more clearance.

Share your bike rack pictures here please!

Reactions: shoredreamer

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have a pair of Yakima Forklift rooftop racks. I've had them in various locations on the Outback. Initially they were on the factory aero crossbars. Then I mounted them to the top of the extended Yakima LoadWarrior basket.

Then we got the kayaks, so I took off the OEM crossbars and added a set of Thule bars. U put the Hull-a-Port Pro racks inboard and the Forklifts outboard.

I don't have the bike racks on the 4Runner yet. On top of the basket would require a step ladder, plus I used the spare basket crossbar for the LED lighting. For now, they fit in back for local trips, and I may have to do something hitch mounted or lift gate mounted for longer trips. Our eldest daughter has an older version of the Saris Bones rack that has rubber-coated steel straps on a ratcheting spool for security and ease of use I might borrow.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
One up rack USA.
Crazy expensive especially to carry just one bike(they have extensions for up to 4 bikes). But it’s very high quality and super easy to install and put bikes on

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Kuat NV 2.0 (base because I wanted black)... and the nv 2.0 2-bike add on.

I like the look and function of these better than the one up racks, but if you are going to buy something... kuat and 1-up are probably the best. I find this less fiddely than the 1-up and better looking. (I don't want industrial aluminum looking stuff)

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I actually enjoy the industrial look. Stainless steel, aluminum and titanium make me happy ha. But I will probably trade up to something like this. I’m rarely riding by myself anymore and could really use the extra space for kore bikes

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I made one, 2 actually, out of a CCM carrier. One fits into a 2" receiver on the back of my Jeeps and trailers. A 2nd one fits into it when I want to take 2 bikes. I originally built it for my Jeep TJ & LJ. I wanted something that would allow me to open the tailgate with the racks mounted (but bikes off).

Here it is as a single carrier on my TJ ...

And as a double carrier on my (incomplete at the time) trailer …

I have a 2nd pair of CCM carriers that I adapted for use on my utility trailer. I will be using a similar set up with Yakima carriers on my expedition trailer.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Ours was a simple and very practical solution for a swing-gate spare tire holder. Only holds 2 bikes, but that’s all we needed. It also keeps the bikes lifted high in the back for steep approach and decent angles. I had them on a roof rack until I almost destroyed my bike on a lower than perceived tree branch! With my lift, heavy springs, 35” tires, the rig was around 13’ tall making it impractical for any forested trails. Also, one other great benefit is the bikes swing out with the spare giving us easy access to the tailgate. Yakima Spare Ride is the one we chose. I know Thule makes one too....and I own 3 other Thule systems, but I liked Yakima’s design for this purpose better.IMG_3609.JPG

Keith Bieschke

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ours was a simple and very practical solution for a swing-gate spare tire holder. Only holds 2 bikes, but that’s all we needed. It also keeps the bikes lifted high in the back for steep approach and decent angles. I had them on a roof rack until I almost destroyed my bike on a lower than perceived tree branch! With my lift, heavy springs, 35” tires, the rig was around 13’ tall making it impractical for any forested trails. Also, one other great benefit is the bikes swing out with the spare giving us easy access to the tailgate. Yakima Spare Ride is the one we chose. I know Thule makes one too....and I own 3 other Thule systems, but I liked Yakima’s design for this purpose better.View attachment 64820
How does this hold up off-road? We have been looking for a spare tire bike carrier and the Thule and Yakima are the only two that don't specifically say do not use off-road or do not use on a trailer. I would like to put it on the back of our Turtleback Adventure Trail trailer but also buy a second mount and have the ability to put it on the truck. Thanks.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

How does this hold up off-road? We have been looking for a spare tire bike carrier and the Thule and Yakima are the only two that don't specifically say do not use off-road or do not use on a trailer. I would like to put it on the back of our Turtleback Adventure Trail trailer but also buy a second mount and have the ability to put it on the truck. Thanks.
I have the same (Yakima) spare tire rack. I haven't had any issues with off-road, although I have read once that a guy had issue with his loosening over time, needed to re-tighten. I also have a tire carrier that bolts to the Jeeps frame, vs relying on the gates hinges.

If you are carrying more than 2 bikes, you might look at getting a rack that utilizes the trailer hitch. The downfall is having to fold it down to get inside the rear.

IMG_20180902_161030.jpeg