Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I grew up back in Ky and my grandpa always brought Spam with us fishing... cut part of the can up for us and use the other part for catfish bait... hum... didn’t learn a darned thing from that ironic lesson but I still eat it today...
I have always said catfish has good taste.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Good News! Unopened Spam lasts forever ( or almost ).

View attachment 134349
No, no sugar. Lots of salt but no sugar and low carb, that's why it's soooooooo good!
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 oz (56g); Servings: 6

Calories: 180 ; Total Fat: 16g (24.62); Saturated Fat: 6g (30); Cholesterol: 40mg (13.33); Sodium: 790mg (32.92); Total Carbohydrates: 1g (0.33); Dietary Fiber: 0g ; Sugars: 0g ; Protein: 7g

bowtie-spam-salad-655.jpg

All salads have dressing, but not all salads are dressy. This SPAM® salad is so well dressed that it dons multiple bow ties. It is also so well flavored — with chopped bell peppers, honey mustard and elegant white wine vinegar.

6 servings10 ingredients
Ingredients
  • 1 12-ounce can SPAM® Classic, cut into julienne strips
  • 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
  • 2 cups cooked bow tie pasta
  • 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons honey mustard
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 garlic clove, minced

Directions
  • 1.In large skillet, brown SPAM® Classic until lightly browned. In large non-metal bowl, combine SPAM® Classic, broccoli, pasta, bell pepper, and onion; mix well.
  • 2.In small bowl, with wire whisk or fork, combine remaining ingredients; add to SPAM® mixture and mix well. Cover; refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
This SPAM® salad is so well dressed that it dons multiple bow ties.
YES INDEED!!

nerd.jpg

In all seriousness, that is a good looking salad! The wife is out of town so I'm bacheloring it here and THAT is definitely on the menu for this weekend. I'm already thinking of another version I can do using Terriyaki Spam and a sesame oil dressing. Nice find!

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

No, no sugar. Lots of salt but no sugar and low carb, that's why it's soooooooo good!
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 oz (56g); Servings: 6

Calories: 180 ; Total Fat: 16g (24.62); Saturated Fat: 6g (30); Cholesterol: 40mg (13.33); Sodium: 790mg (32.92); Total Carbohydrates: 1g (0.33); Dietary Fiber: 0g ; Sugars: 0g ;

That’s odd. The nutrition value says no sugar but the ingredients says sugar on the Spam website for the Spam Classic.

IMG_5816.JPG

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

My Ol' Lady was born & raised in Japan. She's happa, reads & speaks (can write a bit), and has grown up with Spam being a highly valued & prized commodity. And indeed, it is. I've seen ornate wooden boxes lined with velvet and cut outs to hold 4 containers of Spam. She eats it several times throughout the month, and if we're anywhere near a Japanese center (used to go to Japan town in SF frequently when we lived in CA), she will get it for breakfast every time. It's part of her comfort food.

I can't wait to show her this thread. She'll read a few posts, look at me with that "see? I'm tellin' ya" look, and say "yeah? Lots' of people love Spam!" and then she'll rattle off something in Japanese, and I'll say "hi" (agreeing with her).

I like the stuff if it's sliced thin & fried like bacon.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I love spam!

Unfortunately I cant eat it anymore, having heart issues sucks.

1 slice of spam is more than my daily intake of sodium now.

I loved slicing them thin, frying em on the cast iron and then cracking an egg around them when they're half done.
Then stuff them into a tortilla.
Great for camping.