Launch Member

Enthusiast III

massachusetts
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Sorber
Member #

Yeah i've heard great things about lifetime coolers. Rtic coolers are great as well for the money. Personally im running an otterbox 45quart cooler and love it. Than i have a smaller cooler also for drinks.

Reactions: JCraig

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
For what it's worth, I purchased one of these.

I haven't used it in extreme heat, but it gets down to well below freezing pretty quick, and it draws minimal power. I was able to run this cooler overnight only from my Yeti 400 battery. It only used a quarter or less of the charger on the battery. It also comes with 12v and regular power cords. So far so good.
FINAAAAALLLLLY! An off brand cooler, that ships to me for a reasonable cost, and it has a verified user to boot! we are ordering one of these ASAP! I figure since you have to keep the pelitier inside the coleman free of obstruction, you get about 30 liters of true storage.

Reactions: Downs

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
First off let me say, I really like your Bronco, I came very close to buying one back in 89’ but hey, my credit back then was not good. As far as coolers go? We went with ice coolers for decades, literally decades. When the fridge freezers came out they were way too expensive. Then not, so finally last summer we got a 63 qt fridge. We used to easily spend 50-60 bucks on ice each trip, no longer. No longer do blocks of ice swash around smashing everything in its path. No longer do we get to camp after a long day of hiking and wheeling to find that yogurt or chocolate mousse exploded. Hind sight is always 20/20 and looking back we should have gotten one a decade ago. If I were you I’d be patient, continue doing what you’re doing. 40 million people are out of work. There will be a lot of good fridge freezers on the used market very soon for peanuts. ( that’s how I got into really good digital camera and equipment back in 2010 ) peace out !

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yup, i have one grocery store, and one hardware store that carries dry ice.
You guys out west have it made. Around here only one dry ice facility in the tri county area. and can’t even find block ice. Ask for either and you get an odd look as if you’re from another planet.

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm in the same boat. I've got a big lifetime one as well. I typically only get out for a couple days at a time anyway. Harder to get folks in my area to go out and explore since we have to drive a good bit to do anything

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm in the same boat. I've got a big lifetime one as well. I typically only get out for a couple days at a time anyway. Harder to get folks in my area to go out and explore since we have to drive a good bit to do anything
You're only an hour away from Holly Springs National Forrest. 154,000 acres. Looks like they have some decent Forrest Service roads, dispersed camping should be easy enough to find.

Reactions: joshjunior

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

You're only an hour away from Holly Springs National Forrest. 154,000 acres. Looks like they have some decent Forrest Service roads, dispersed camping should be easy enough to find.
True. I'm kinda new to this. Everyone rages about Ozarks and lbl and that's a hump. I'll look into Holly springs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Ozarks is nice. I'm about double the distance as you. A 3 hour drive out there would make it worth it to me for regular weekend trips. It's about 6 hrs one way for me and I'd want 3 or 4 days out in it to make it worth my while.

Reactions: joshjunior

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ozarks is nice. I'm about double the distance as you. A 3 hour drive out there would make it worth it to me for regular weekend trips. It's about 6 hrs one way for me and I'd want 3 or 4 days out in it to make it worth my while.
I day tripped it once but didn't feel comfortable being out solo with no cell reception lol

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Orca for me. I've got two that typically turn into food (40qt) and beer (58qt... both to drink and that which is collected on the way) coolers that are absolutely fantastic.

Definitely second the aforementioned Cooler Shock packs as well for shorter trips or those where you intend to be in a hotel every other night. They will literally freeze things you put next to them... I tossed two in a soft-sided REI cooler over the weekend and 8 hours later, all 10 bottles of water (both cooler and water were room temp previously) had a fair bit of ice in them.

Only downside to them is that they take some time to freeze solid. Give them 48 hours prior to your trip, pre-chill your coolers, and refreeze them every other day for 8-10 hours and they will go indefinitely. Start stretching that to 3 days and you'll need to give them longer than a typical overnight (for me that's at most 12 hours) to re-freeze. For longer trips, I typically just use them to pre-chill the cooler and I can get 7 days out of bag ice without fail.

Slambo1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gaffney, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Slamin
Member #

Service Branch
Army/Air Force
I have several cheap Colman and Igloo coolers about 50qt sized. This summer my family of three are planning on a 3 week trip (middle of June to mid July) (the longest I have done is a little over a week). My three coolers work fine for about a week if properly and carefully stocked. 1 cooler for drinks, and the other two for perishables. However, going on this long of a trek, and not sure how often I will be able to find Ice combined with the limited room of my Bronco, I am in need of a larger cooler. I have a very tight budget for more gear, so Yeti and ARB are out of the equation (my first two choices ).

What are some good brands of inexpensize coolers both conventional and electric models. I have a budget for under $300, and going used is also an option to get something of better quality.
Hmmm, inexpensive....Well, I have dealt with this issue for years! Eventually, I just got tired of spending $$$$ on cheap styrofoam or “made in China” coolers and patiently hoarded monies until I was able to buy a cooler that shall last me a lifetime. Buying cheap coolers over and over again results in you sending more money in the end; and you will be back at square one with a busted up cooler in the end. Orca coolers are MADE IN THE USA and of a higher quality than Yeti! I am glad you intend to avoid Yeti - they are “designed” in the US but MADE IN CHINA!! Stop giving our dollars to them to that evil empire! ! Good man!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hmmm, inexpensive....Well, I have dealt with this issue for years! Eventually, I just got tired of spending $$$$ on cheap styrofoam or “made in China” coolers and patiently hoarded monies until I was able to buy a cooler that shall last me a lifetime. Buying cheap coolers over and over again results in you sending more money in the end; and you will be back at square one with a busted up cooler in the end. Orca coolers are MADE IN THE USA and of a higher quality than Yeti! I am glad you intend to avoid Yeti - they are “designed” in the US but MADE IN CHINA!! Stop giving our dollars to them to that evil empire! ! Good man!
So I can’t make ice... a bag of ice is 2.99, I need 2 bags of ice a day... so that’s $6.00 a day, for 30 days is $360 a month... 12 months in a year... that’s $4,320 a year in ice. I pay 1200/ year for my electricity.... the added savings buys me an electric cooler/freezer. If you read further down you see where I decided to buy an electric fridge due to the added savings and it’s not a camping only purchase for me.

loyotadisa

Rank 0

Contributor I

FRANCE
First Name
loha
Last Name
bitadia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM
Yes I could build my own.... might look into modifing an Old RV refer to be used in A portable setup.
and the other two for perishables. However, going on this long of a trek, and not sure how often I will be able to find Ice combined with the limited room of my Bronco, I am in need of a larger cooler. I have a very tight budget for mo gear, so Yeti and ARB are out of the equation (my first two choices ).

Last edited:

JeremyS

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Austin Tx
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Schmid
I roll with two coolers and a fridge. One is a high quality molded Kodi 20l that is distributed by HEB grocery stores. This is the best cooler I own (I have a Yeti Tundra as well). The smaller Kodi holds ice for at least 5 days if used as food storage. I guess my point is you can save $200 on something that would be good or even better an the high dollar coolers. Take the chance!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m kind Of leaning toward this one

i live full time in a 32’ travel trailer, and this chest looks like it would serve double duty as my freezer when not on the road.
Well I finally ordered it... it will be here Thursday, just in time for me to unbox it and throw it into the back of @KRose 4Runner and head out to the Cascades Trip. This will be the maiden voyage for her 4Runner.