Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have several cheap Colman and Igloo coolers about 50qt sized. This summer my family of three are planning on a 3 week trip (middle of June to mid July) (the longest I have done is a little over a week). My three coolers work fine for about a week if properly and carefully stocked. 1 cooler for drinks, and the other two for perishables. However, going on this long of a trek, and not sure how often I will be able to find Ice combined with the limited room of my Bronco, I am in need of a larger cooler. I have a very tight budget for more gear, so Yeti and ARB are out of the equation (my first two choices ).

What are some good brands of inexpensize coolers both conventional and electric models. I have a budget for under $300, and going used is also an option to get something of better quality.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

No matter what coolers you pick, you should look into Cooler Shock (or the like) ice packs. They stay cold for a long time. When I'm out on a trip, I usually plan a couple of nights here and there in a hotel. I drag the coolers inside and re-freeze the packs in the hotel fridge.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No matter what coolers you pick, you should look into Cooler Shock (or the like) ice packs. They stay cold for a long time. When I'm out on a trip, I usually plan a couple of nights here and there in a hotel. I drag the coolers inside and re-freeze the packs in the hotel fridge.
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
keep it coming

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Any brands of electric coolers I should draw away from?

Personally, I would shy away from the thermo-electric type of coolers, like the Coleman 40qt PowerChill Thermoelectric and others. I've had a couple over the years. As a rule, generally, they cool the contents to about 40º F below ambient temps by means of a fan, not refrigerant or compressor. All fine if camping in 60º or 70º F weather or below, but if in temps above that, or if in a vehicle whose temps may soar above that, it means the contents of your fridge will be too warm most of the day to not spoil.

Hope you find something suitable.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Personally, I would shy away from the thermo-electric type of coolers, like the Coleman 40qt PowerChill Thermoelectric and others. I've had a couple over the years. As a rule, generally, they cool the contents to about 40º F below ambient temps by means of a fan, not refrigerant or compressor. All fine if camping in 60º or 70º F weather or below, but if in temps above that, or if in a vehicle whose temps may soar above that, it means the contents of your fridge will be too warm most of the day to not spoil.

Hope you find something suitable.

I’m kind Of leaning toward this one

i live full time in a 32’ travel trailer, and this chest looks like it would serve double duty as my freezer when not on the road.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Look at RTIC. They are built just like the YETI for less money. Their 65 qt is on sale right now for $183 w/free shipping. My 45 qt RTIC will keep ice longer than my buddies YETI and has survived 4 hard years of offroading and river drifting with absolutely no issues.

rtic.jpg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I’m kind Of leaning toward this one

i live full time in a 32’ travel trailer, and this chest looks like it would serve double duty as my freezer when not on the road.
At least with this you don’t have to worry about getting ice every couple of days and it taking valuable space.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Hmmmm, maybe use two coolers.

Put dry ice in one and use it to condition blue ice packs for the one you are using for food and rotate the packs in/out as needed..

The Yeti, RTIC, Igloo, etc. roto-molded coolers all work well, but they are extremely inefficient from a space consideration.

I used just plain old fashioned Igloo Marine coolers for decades. They were the correct color and were adequately constructed. Keep the lid shut as much as possible.

Reactions: grubworm

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Peltier coolers (the thermo-electric ones posted above) are extremely inefficient. So stau away from them.

I have used dry ice before and was able to keep stuff frozen for about 4 days in a cheap cooler.

You can also build your own cooler.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Put dry ice in one and use it to condition blue ice packs for the one you are using for food and rotate the packs in/out as needed..

The Yeti, RTIC, Igloo, etc. roto-molded coolers all work well, but they are extremely inefficient from a space consideration.

I used just plain old fashioned Igloo Marine coolers for decades. They were the correct color and were adequately constructed. Keep the lid shut as much as possible.
I already do this with my cheap Colman coolers. Yes it works. But three coolers takes up way too much room in my Bronco.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Peltier coolers (the thermo-electric ones posted above) are extremely inefficient. So stau away from them.

I have used dry ice before and was able to keep stuff frozen for about 4 days in a cheap cooler.

You can also build your own cooler.

Yes I could build my own.... might look into modifing an Old RV refer to be used in A portable setup.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I already do this with my cheap Colman coolers. Yes it works. But three coolers takes up way too much room in my Bronco.
How about putting the dry ice in your food cooler(s), and insulate around it with blue ice packs forming a nucleus of cold without burning the food?

If you can source the dry ice in uniform size pieces(?) you could glue up the blue ice packs to take the dry ice insert.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I put dry ice in my RTIC with a piece of cardboard and stack ford according to what needs to kept frozen/coldest - meat, pre frozen food, cheese, eggs, fruits and vegetables. We have kept stuff in the bottom of the cooler frozen at elk camp for 5 days.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How about putting the dry ice in your food cooler(s), and insulate around it with blue ice packs forming a nucleus of cold without burning the food?

If you can source the dry ice in uniform size pieces(?) you could glue up the blue ice packs to take the dry ice insert.
I’ll look into it, dry ice around here is kind of hard to come by...only one or two stores sell it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I’ll look into it, dry ice around here is kind of hard to come by...only one or two stores sell it.
Yeah I don't know, but it looks like if you can find it at all, by slowing the exchange rate using ice packs would serve both masters and get it done. I would think more space efficient than ice

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have several cheap Colman and Igloo coolers about 50qt sized. This summer my family of three are planning on a 3 week trip (middle of June to mid July) (the longest I have done is a little over a week). My three coolers work fine for about a week if properly and carefully stocked. 1 cooler for drinks, and the other two for perishables. However, going on this long of a trek, and not sure how often I will be able to find Ice combined with the limited room of my Bronco, I am in need of a larger cooler. I have a very tight budget for more gear, so Yeti and ARB are out of the equation (my first two choices ).

What are some good brands of inexpensize coolers both conventional and electric models. I have a budget for under $300, and going used is also an option to get something of better quality.
You might try using what I call hot ice or dry ice. It takes forever to evaporate in a cooler. Just don't let it come in contact with water or it could blow up your cooler. I have used it for my home made air conditioner as well. Going to build a slightly larger one before to long if I can ever get back on my feet long enough to spend a couple of hours building it from a larger old cooler box.

Happy New Year Michael and everyone else who reads this thread.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the tip Jim, yea dry ice bombs are fun to make. I think I’m still leaning towards an electric fridge/freezer model like I posted a bit a go since it could be used for more than just expeditions. Right now my coolers are used as foot rests, end tables, and weird storage in my TT.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks for the tip Jim, yea dry ice bombs are fun to make. I think I’m still leaning towards an electric fridge/freezer model like I posted a bit a go since it could be used for more than just expeditions. Right now my coolers are used as foot rests, end tables, and weird storage in my TT.
I would look into buying what is called a truckers refer. They usually sell for $100-$200 range. That is if you have battery and inverter for 110v. I haven't seen a 12v model. I saw one on amazon that is chest type or vertical standing that I am contemplating.

Block ice last longer than crushed ice if you keep the cooler drained regularly it should last at least a full day longer. If you cooling drinks then leave the water in.
I have looked for over a year for a good used refer but I haven seen more than one for $500 which included the slider, but it cost over $100+ to ship. :-(