Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

^^^ #101 Thanks for posting the video link - it looks to be a well designed cooler and I'm looking forward to your review of it.

Reactions: MarcoM

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Ordered the ICECO VL60 dual-zone with cover over the weekend directly from ICECO's website, basically $125 cheaper than on Amazon due to no sales tax and a 12% discount code. I'd been debating between this larger dual-zone and the VL45, my wife kept insisting that these are "so much smaller" than ice chests but doesn't factor in how much room the ice takes. Anyway, I decided not to take any chances and ordered the VL60. One so my wife can't complain about not having enough room (if this doesn't have enough room then we're doing something wrong), two so we can bring ice cream (duh), and three I like the option of only running half of it to save energy if it's not loaded up. Looking forward to playing with it!

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I just ordered the ICECO VL45 with the cover, should be here end of the week. Got it crazy cheap. Also as a cheaper option, my brother and I tested a Fridge offered by HomeDepo with good results I have provided a link to that fridge below. They are currently on sale:

MarcoM

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, USA
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Maga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
Thanks for your input @huachuca, much appreciate it. Gave me some food for thought.

Among other features, I was also drawn to the latching system and the 'no pinch' handles, and they have built in bottle opener :-). After I read your post, went back and found a video where they highlight the features.
The cap does not come off, it unscrews out but never comes off. Good thing because it would be highly annoying to loose the cap. There is a basket sold separately, I personally never have used one but maybe time to do so. Cooler also has a limited lifetime warranty which made it also more attractive than other more expensive brands.
Anywho- after spending hours doing research I ordered the 48Q model- $220 to my door. I have a trip coming up and we shall see how this goes.
thanks again for your input.
Cheers
got bsck from a trip and Cordova cooler maiden use.
Worked out as well as could be expected. Thinking about getting a second one.

The night before use I placed a couple of cold pack in the cooler and let it sit overnight.
In the morning when I first opened the lid to pack the cooler I could feel the coldness. I packed it maybe ~85% full with items from fridge but did not have any ice so closed the lid and loaded it. This thing is 'cavernous', there was a lot of stuff that I was able to fit in this thing.
I meant to stop at the store to get ice before getting on the road, but.... of course I forgot. Fortunately I remember 4 hours later during a gas/lunch stop. Everything in the cooler was still cold (may have been able to go the rest of day without ice). filled it with a 7lb bag of ice (all it could take) and back on the road.

24 hours later most of the ice was still there, very little melted.
the two handle option is awesone and found that i mainly used the molded handles that are part of the cooler body instead of the metal handles. At one point I forced my self to use the metal handles and they were also great to use, comfortable easy to grab, soft. Both handles have good ergonomics, which ones to use are going to be a matter or preference or opportunity.
The cover mechanism that prevents the top from falling back down shut is also great and allows use of both hands to dig in cooler.
I also very much liked and found the 'T pull-up' style locking system as oposed to the 'pull-down' style. I found it easier to lock and unlock when the cooler was already packed and in a tight space.
The anti-slip 'feet' hold the cooler in place firmly, almost like suction cups. I had the cooler sitting on a weather tech mat, when i tried went to take the cooler out by just pull on a handle, it brough the matt with it even though there was other heavy stull also on the mat.

For the first time in a multi day trip, i've not had to think about the ice in the cooler even in 90-100 degree temps.

The one minor nit picky thing; the drain plug is not attached to the body as advertised. Although one does not need to fully unscrew the drain plug to drain water, draining is much, much faster with the plug fully removed. Other than that minor thing, IMHO it's a great cooler that rivals or exceeds other more expensive or foreign made brands.

Attachments

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

#105 ^^^^ Thanks for the detailed 'in the field' evaluation - looks like you've picked a winner.

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I bought an RTIC 45, and while waiting for that to be delivered, won a Grizzly 40. I mainly use the Grizzly as its lighter and seems more comfortable.

We have tried using a two cooler system, food in one, and drinks in the other. This past summer, July heat had us adding ice daily. Didn't have a thermometer on it and it was just about a week long trip. Typically don't have this issue, at least make it a couple of days.

If I have plan right, I'll typically freeze some food and drinks in advance. I'll also freeze a gallon jug with water, which comes in handy when potable water may be in short supply.

I have ordered the divider and will see if that helps.

I also won a Yeti soft cooler. The shape is odd as hell, but seems to do a great job for days at the beach.

Biggest gripe with the molded coolers is they aren't as big as you think and heavy.

I'd be game for a fridge, but really only have food or drink when camping. There may actually be weeks between getting into my rig, so can't justify the cost. Especially when I can make my own ice. Though its good to see there may be some budget friendly.

I know they don't draw much, but I'd want to get a solar panel to keep it charged. I've gone through more batteries it seems already.

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

While the hard sided coolers are big as heck it helps to see it also as a multipurpose item. I use ours as a step ladder and a table. Can also use as a bench. Space savings would be the main reason for me to go to a fridge.

Attachments