Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
First off let me say, I really like your Bronco, I came very close to buying one back in 89’ but hey, my credit back then was not good. As far as coolers go? We went with ice coolers for decades, literally decades. When the fridge freezers came out they were way too expensive. Then not, so finally last summer we got a 63 qt fridge. We used to easily spend 50-60 bucks on ice each trip, no longer. No longer do blocks of ice swash around smashing everything in its path. No longer do we get to camp after a long day of hiking and wheeling to find that yogurt or chocolate mousse exploded. Hind sight is always 20/20 and looking back we should have gotten one a decade ago. If I were you I’d be patient, continue doing what you’re doing. 40 million people are out of work. There will be a lot of good fridge freezers on the used market very soon for peanuts. ( that’s how I got into really good digital camera and equipment back in 2010 ) peace out !
@MOAK i don’t know how I missed this earlier. Thanks for the Bronco love. I’m going to start a build thread on the Adventure Machine soon. I finally have enough progress and a clear direction of where I’m heading with it to make an interesting.
Hmmm, inexpensive....Well, I have dealt with this issue for years! Eventually, I just got tired of spending $$$$ on cheap styrofoam or “made in China” coolers and patiently hoarded monies until I was able to buy a cooler that shall last me a lifetime. Buying cheap coolers over and over again results in you sending more money in the end; and you will be back at square one with a busted up cooler in the end. Orca coolers are MADE IN THE USA and of a higher quality than Yeti! I am glad you intend to avoid Yeti - they are “designed” in the US but MADE IN CHINA!! Stop giving our dollars to them to that evil empire! ! Good man!
I got to see an Orca cooler last month... I’m very impressed with it... then found out that a feed kit store here in town sells them, I’m thinking of getting one for my “fishing” cooler to put in my boat, or to just tote down to the shores of my favorite high mountain lakes.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well I finally ordered it... it will be here Thursday, just in time for me to unbox it and throw it into the back of @KRose 4Runner and head out to the Cascades Trip. This will be the maiden voyage for her 4Runner.
Wait, so you ordered a fridge? That's on my list to get for next year. Let me know what you think of that whynter fridge.

I've been running the lifetime 52qt cooler for a year now, and it's done rather well so far. Did a 4 day trip last month through the Oregon desert in 90+ degree heat and no A/C, and still had solid blocks keeping everything cool.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Wait, so you ordered a fridge? That's on my list to get for next year. Let me know what you think of that whynter fridge.

I've been running the lifetime 52qt cooler for a year now, and it's done rather well so far. Did a 4 day trip last month through the Oregon desert in 90+ degree heat and no A/C, and still had solid blocks keeping everything cool.
same here. i have a dometic i keep in the tear drop camper, but still like to take the lifetime 52qt to keep in the back of the truck. it holds ice very well and its nice to have an ice chest i can beat around and leave outside in the rain, etc.

hope that unit works well for you, @M Rose. the reviews look good, so hopefully you got a winner!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Yup, just ordered it... realized that Kallie’s 4Runner wasn’t going to do well with 2 coolers, and 4 people on this trip coming up. I’ll give a full review next week... if you notice, they have a 5 payment plan for Amazon Prime members... no credit checks... I used that option, but will pay it off in August.

Reactions: reaver

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
same here. i have a dometic i keep in the tear drop camper, but still like to take the lifetime 52qt to keep in the back of the truck. it holds ice very well and its nice to have an ice chest i can beat around and leave outside in the rain, etc.

hope that unit works well for you, @M Rose. the reviews look good, so hopefully you got a winner!
I hope so, but also bought a 2 year protection plan with it... hope I don’t need to use the protection plan though.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Yup, just ordered it... realized that Kallie’s 4Runner wasn’t going to do well with 2 coolers, and 4 people on this trip coming up. I’ll give a full review next week... if you notice, they have a 5 payment plan for Amazon Prime members... no credit checks... I used that option, but will pay it off in August.
Unfortunately, no money for a fridge over here right now. Doing a bunch of work on the back yard. If that deal is still around when I am ready though, I'll take a look for sure!

Reactions: M Rose

Kvocal

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Inglewood, CA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Long
Member #

Does anybody have any experience with high ICECO and their coolers? They seem to be very inexpensive but not sure of the long-term viability of them. Of course at their current price if it lasts more than 5 to 7 years you may be ahead of the game. As technology changes so rapidly newer fridges may become more efficient or cheaper.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Well I finally ordered it... it will be here Thursday, just in time for me to unbox it and throw it into the back of @KRose 4Runner and head out to the Cascades Trip. This will be the maiden voyage for her 4Runner.
I have the Rovdun 54 qt. No chance to use it yet but it supposed to get down to -13 * f on the deep side of the ref.. Reviews are excellent for what it cost me, $269 on sale. They are listed on Amazon currently for $314 which I think is still a good buy.

Reactions: M Rose and reaver

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Does anybody have any experience with high ICECO and their coolers? They seem to be very inexpensive but not sure of the long-term viability of them. Of course at their current price if it lasts more than 5 to 7 years you may be ahead of the game. As technology changes so rapidly newer fridges may become more efficient or cheaper.

The amazon reviews are hit and miss... mostly cosmetic damage during shipping iirc.

Reactions: Kvocal

Kvocal

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Inglewood, CA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Long
Member #

The amazon reviews are hit and miss... mostly cosmetic damage during shipping iirc.
Great idea I will check the Amazon reviews. Was thinking about getting this device because it had the ability to be filled with water and have that water turned into a block of ice. The cooler is designed to work without power using that frozen block of ice, that kind of appeals to me.

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I just picked up the Ozark trail 55 qt cooler, and I gotta say it's amazing. Cost like 137. I think it's a little better built then the lifetime ones and they sell all the replacement parts too! Holds ice for days!

Reactions: TexasGMG and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just got my fridge... very heavy construction... just plugged it in and set the temp to -8F. The thermometer says it’s internal tamp is currently at 81F, so we will see how long it takes to drop it down 90 degrees. I also got the insulated cover for it... can’t wait to try it all out tomorrow. A6C06F2A-B0F6-42C0-A37E-CAA69BFA391E.jpeg813FB0CC-44B7-4B7D-9701-921AA33C8133.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Just got my fridge... very heavy construction... just plugged it in and set the temp to -8F. The thermometer says it’s internal tamp is currently at 81F, so we will see how long it takes to drop it down 90 degrees. I also got the insulated cover for it... can’t wait to try it all out tomorrow. View attachment 164923View attachment 164924
very cool! (pun very much intended) i was thinking about an insulated cover for mine...are you going to bring it down to temp an then unplug it and see how long it takes to get back to ambient and then do the same with the cover on? not sure how to test to see how effective the cover is unless you watched it like a hawk and recorded the run time, etc. too much work that way.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
very cool! (pun very much intended) i was thinking about an insulated cover for mine...are you going to bring it down to temp an then unplug it and see how long it takes to get back to ambient and then do the same with the cover on? not sure how to test to see how effective the cover is unless you watched it like a hawk and recorded the run time, etc. too much work that way.
Yes one with cover on and one with cover off.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yes one with cover on and one with cover off.
nice. i''l check out your findings later...i'm mainly interested in the cover helping reduce the compressor cycling more so for longevity than power comsumption. i figure if a few bucks extends the life of the unit, its worth it. the inside of your unit looks just like the dometic i have...i wouldnt have spent $1K on the thing, but it came with the camp trailer...otherwise i would certainly would have gotten what you got

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
No officialView attachment 164926View attachment 164927 test but this I do know in hot and humid weather doing this will cause condensation. But I have found no issue with the electronics.
hummmm...not a bad idea. i used to use that insulation on commercial buildings to go between the purlins and roof sheets...i think it is close to an R-5 value, which aint bad and it reflects radiant heat. shit, i outta make one instead of buy one, i still have a lot of the foil tape left over. good post @Boppa's Travels :grinning:

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
hummmm...not a bad idea. i used to use that insulation on commercial buildings to go between the purlins and roof sheets...i think it is close to an R-5 value, which aint bad and it reflects radiant heat. shit, i outta make one instead of buy one, i still have a lot of the foil tape left over. good post @Boppa's Travels :grinning:
just no test how effective it is but I figured better than nothing.