Let’s be honest; Roof Top Tent- Yay or Nay?

• HTML tutorial

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

That's and absolute bargain! I didn't get any snow maybe a little sleet but it was was 26-38ºF most nights of that trip and even when it didn't rain the bottom the mattress was quite wet but the top and sides was dry.

I don't find the thickness of the mattress is problem, it's the firmness. I prefer firmer mattress's but this is ridiculously firm. I can stand on it and it doesn't feel like I am hitting the ground under it, so me lying on it probably only compresses it less than 1/6" and I am a side sleeper. I don't really want to add a topper to the standard mattress as I don't want to make it any thicker than it already is.
Tepui makes those anti-condensation mats to put under the mattress but I’m skeptical if they really work or not. That mattress could definitely be softer though. I’m a side and belly sleeper and the first night I slept in it I woke up on my side and my hip was killing me. I don’t know if a topper would make much of a difference or not. Not sure if I’m gonna throw a lot of money at the tent or not till I decide if I wanna keep it or maybe switch it up to a nicer one down the road.

ZFrick

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Zack
Last Name
Frick
Member #

I have a FSR A49H and it sets up in under a minute . We love it. Rocks, mud, whatever, where ever we can camp... now when we had an ARB... different story. It was too much work and took too long

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

I have a Smittybilt Overlander XL and I LOVE it!

I use my tacoma as my Daily Driver, and cannot have the tent mounted all the time, so everytime I want to go camping, I need to mount it... It sounds like a PITA, but no... I actually enjoy it!
I live in Mexico City, in an apartment, so there is not enough space to have the tent and, therefore, I have to rent a storage warehouse... Now all my camping gear is in one place and can go at any time and grab, pack, mount everything for my camping trip and its great! I find this more practical and I do get everything quicker than before (nobody is calling you or asking for stuff).

As many stated above, it has its pros and its cons... but, the pros weight a lot more than the cons...

What I love:
-Easy to setup
-Comfortable
-Easy to Pack
-Gives you extra shade (apart from the Awning)
-You don't have to clean or search for a "cleaner" spot to setup camp
-All your sleeping gear is already inside the tent!

You can camp wherever you want in a sec:
-There was one trip where 10 of the 15 cars couldn't make the complete route and had to turn back (it was very muddy), radios didn't reach, no phone signal, etc... the 5 trucks that made it, went back to the starting point (through nice roads) and camped at the initial part of the route... 5 hours later the other group joined us, that day I knew that was my best accesory for the truck.

What I "don't love that much"
-I need to setup everything with at least 1day
-I don't have all the gear here
-It's heavy
-Increased the height of the truck, I cannot park everywhere
-EVERYONE wants me to open it so they can see how it works...

Of course I'm keeping my ground tent, sometimes you need it for a quick camp or whenever you need to set a base camp... but since I bought the RTT I haven't used it!

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Tepui makes those anti-condensation mats to put under the mattress but I’m skeptical if they really work or not. That mattress could definitely be softer though. I’m a side and belly sleeper and the first night I slept in it I woke up on my side and my hip was killing me. I don’t know if a topper would make much of a difference or not. Not sure if I’m gonna throw a lot of money at the tent or not till I decide if I wanna keep it or maybe switch it up to a nicer one down the road.
I was skeptical too and that's why I didn't buy a condensation mat. If I do another cold/wet trip later this year I will just try and find some rubber matting from home depot. or simular.

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

I was skeptical too and that's why I didn't buy a condensation mat. If I do another cold/wet trip later this year I will just try and find some rubber matting from home depot. or simular.
I bought a condensation mat and it works well. I don't know what Tepui sells, I bought the mat that they use on boats. On some mornings I lift the mattress and mat and can see water, but the mattress is dry. The mat provides air circulation so the water can evaporate.
Well worth it in my opinion.

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I bought a condensation mat and it works well. I don't know what Tepui sells, I bought the mat that they use on boats. On some mornings I lift the mattress and mat and can see water, but the mattress is dry. The mat provides air circulation so the water can evaporate.
Well worth it in my opinion.
Might have to look at getting one. I plan on going on a few fall trips to the VA mountains and it gets pretty cool up there after October

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

Might have to look at getting one. I plan on going on a few fall trips to the VA mountains and it gets pretty cool up there after October
I'd recommend it. I think you only need it when you have to fully zip the tent. If you've got good ventilation going, less necessary.

Reactions: Road

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

Just looked up what I have. It's called Hypervent.
It won't be as finished as the Tepui mat, you'll have to cut and piece it to fit. Might be a little cheaper. But it's used in the marine industry for a long time now, and I imagine they know something about wet environments.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Just looked up what I have. It's called Hypervent.
It won't be as finished as the Tepui mat, you'll have to cut and piece it to fit. Might be a little cheaper. But it's used in the marine industry for a long time now, and I imagine they know something about wet environments.
I’ll have to look into getting some. Thanks for the tip!

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
A lot of good information here, derived from real experiences. I think that's a great reflection of the OB community.

I run an RTT on an all aluminum trailer, which I tow with a 2016 JK, which is also my daily driver. Trailer and tent weigh 720# empty. The tent is a private label unit, on a 96 x 56 platform (unfolded). I really have no idea of who manufactured the tent. Like many, it's synthetic canvas, has proven to be waterproof in legitimate rainstorms, surprisingly quiet in the wind, and very draft-free in the cold. All advantages over ground tents IMO.

Here are the pros I consider most useful with this setup:
  • Tent is low to the ground, minimal ladder climb to get in or out.
  • The tent interior is accessible from all four sides while standing on the ground. Really eases setup/takedown and movement of gear in and out.
  • All the advantages of not being on the ground for sleeping, tent durability, rocks & twigs, etc.
  • When deployed, the tent creates a sheltered space under the deck, very handy to keep chairs, gear, etc. sheltered from dew or light rain. If necessary, I can use the RTT travel cover as a tarp of sorts for more gear protection. I can even sit under it in a low chair in a pinch.
  • The trailer stays loaded with gear, and is kept in my garage. I just need to add consumables, hook up, and take off. This has literally allowed (promoted?) "spur of the moment" weekend trips I otherwise might not have made.
  • Trailer can remain attached while camping for security/additional stability, or unhooked for unencumbered use of the Jeep. No need to fold up and break camp.

And the cons:
  • It's expensive compared to the RTT on a vehicle. Probably three times the cost of a high end RTT alone, depending on your trailer choice.
  • Everything about pulling a trailer. Even though it is small and light, it's still a trailer. Gas stations, some campsites, any stop you make can become somewhat challenging and inconvenient to maneuver.
  • The tent is good for two adults. Spacious even, in the mild weather. When you start to add cold weather sleeping bags, and layers of clothing, you find it fills up quickly. If I have to shelter more than two on the trip, I pack a regular ground tent in the trailer.
  • Muddy/wet/dirty boots (my pet peeve). Unlike a ground tent with a vestibule, there is no way to plop down on the tent floor with your boots outside while you take them off and leave them in the vestibule. Best solution for me is to keep an old pair of deck shoes as my "tent shoes", and basically use them only to climb the ladder in or out of the tent.
  • Security. All of the things that make the trailer handy for camping also make it attractive for thieves. Not really an issue when off the grid, but a real consideration when in a campground. This setup gets a lot more attention than a regular ground tent campsite.

All things considered, I have no regrets about this setup. It's been a great way to enjoy 20 or 30 nights (and increasing) a year in the outdoors.

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

And the cons:
  • Security. All of the things that make the trailer handy for camping also make it attractive for thieves. Not really an issue when off the grid, but a real consideration when in a campground. This setup gets a lot more attention than a regular ground tent campsite.

All things considered, I have no regrets about this setup. It's been a great way to enjoy 20 or 30 nights (and increasing) a year in the outdoors.
If I ever get a trailer, I'll definitely get a vehicle boot for it and lock it when I'm away from camp. It's just not worth it to leave it unlocked and I know someone who had his very expensive teardrop trailer stolen from camp. It'll be like my trailer has a bunch of unpaid parking tickets. :laughing:

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If I hitch up to a tear drop, boot, no boot, tires, no tires, no problem.

The boot grinds off in a few seconds at 40mph. Ask me how I know.

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

If I hitch up to a tear drop, boot, no boot, tires, no tires, no problem.

The boot grinds off in a few seconds at 40mph. Ask me how I know.
I'm not sure most people would have your...tenacity...and persistence. It's not something I would voluntarily think to try ha. :laughing:

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

For me I am currently using a RTT on a mid-level rack on the back of my truck; the RTT sits so the top is level with the top of the roof of the truck. We have done the ground tent as a young family, moved up to a pop-up Coleman trailer, to a 25 foot travel trailer. Needs changed as family grew.

2017 I took my wife out to Overland Expo East at the Biltmore Estate. I wanted to see the Overland stuff and was able to talk her into going with me using Biltmore as a draw for her. We took the travel trailer out to Ashville NC and stayed in a local campground with full hookups, momma was a happy camper, she had her bathroom with full shower and the queen size bed to sleep in. 2019 I wanted to hit Expo again but this time I was looking to stay in the on-site camping. I knew the travel trailer was out of the question since it did not fit with the venue parameters so I borrowed a nice ground tent from one of my daughters, a cot from another daughter, and an easy-up canopy from my third daughter; I had a pretty nice camp layout, I even had a little red campfire that runs on propane so I could sit out at night enjoying the evening. I am getting too old for sleeping on the ground so while sitting there I got to looking at all the different rigs around me, everything from the Sprinter vans, to the trucks with a camper slide-in, to the RTT. My dream is to have a nice truck with a slide in truck camper; that is my end goal (at least for now). I got to thinking I could put a RTT on my Trailblazer and start doing the overlander thing with the vehicle I had. Then whenever I got around to getting the truck I could move the RTT to the truck and keep on going out; and eventually when finances allowed I could move a truck camper into the bed of that truck and be set.

This past weekend I got the opportunity to sample the truck camper by transporting a FWC Granby from Western NC to Tulsa OK with a stop in Springfield MO for MOORE. The truck camper was it, I was able to "stealth" camp at a rest area on the way out. Just laid the cushions on the floor of the camper without having to pop it up. When I got to the campground at SMORR setting up the camper took a whole of about 5 minutes and I was all set. Breaking down in the morning only took about 5 minutes also so it made for a quick transition to MOORE.

I knew going in with a RTT that I would be establishing a base camp once I set-up (and the truck camper would be the same) so I got a small dual sport moto that is my get around transportation. Now my camping spot is secured for multiple nights and I can run into town if needed on the moto or hit some of the trails that I would not take the full size 2WD truck onto anyway. For now I plan to keep the moto even when I transition to the truck camper so I will have the mobility option if I should need it. Will the truck camper fill that final nitch? Who knows but for now I am happy with the RTT, I am off the ground, the mattress is pretty comfortable, and I am getting out there; beats sitting on the couch any day of the week.

Last edited:

scantoros

Rank 0

Contributor I

Istanbul
First Name
Idel
Last Name
Toros
I say YAY ALL THE WAY Hi people! am a huge camp lover since 2018 and I have struggled with many problems during our adventures. But I found a solution. I learned about a brand named Mekik Motors Roof Top Tents which I met 3 months ago now I can travel safely and camp in style and comfort. I am using the AirCamp Mini model at the moment. The product is made of fiberglass !! The best part is that its on the roof of my car :D I bought it with a guarantee of 100% waterproof. You know we campers act spontaneously so we have to stop at a place suddenly and camp out, open our tents. The beds are comfortable too . I think you should check it out:)

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Nay, too heavy and expensive. I also like the ability to base camp without packing up my tent or even just move the rig once the tent is setup.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I have considered a RTT, a hard sided enclosed purpose built trailer and a military style trailer with RTT attached. While each were extremely appealing to me I accepted the fact that I’ll only use it once or twice a year for “boys” weekend camping trips.
Any camping trip involving my wife also involves our 26’ Artic Fox hard sided trailer.

In the end I decided a simple sleeping platform in the back of my Wrangler would provide me with the best bang for the buck solution that didn’t involve storing a RTT or trailer.

Reactions: MMc

Red Ox Overland

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Olympic mtns, WA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Modispacher
Member #

As much as I’d love to get one and I still may in a year or two is strictly weight. With the armor my rig weighs in at 6300lbs with an empty yeti and my kitchen stuff in the back. Rack + tent plus full gear I’d be around 6800. This is strictly personal I’m though. For convenience and if you don’t mind the weight penalty, I’d say absolutely go for it.