Let’s be honest; Roof Top Tent- Yay or Nay?

• HTML tutorial

AdventurousRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leuven, België
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Boydens
Member #

Im curious how tight of trails yall go on with the rtt, as we all know pinstriping is a real thing, do any of you worry or have had a tent get ripped open by a rouge tree branch?
Here is a small video. It was a bit more dense before the video but then the co driver couldn't get out anymore :relaxed:

Reactions: JButtress

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

If any one in the north east coast is interested in viewing three versions of Cvt tents.. we are always fishing at the shore of democratic point Robert Moses park. We can offer you a walk around. As well as how to open and close unit.. message me for viewing.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Here is a small video. It was a bit more dense before the video but then the co driver couldn't get out anymore :relaxed:

Yep no way that would stand up to what im thinking we have alot of bois d arch trees around aka one of the hardest wood on earth and they have 1+ inch thorns on the branches i watched a whole roof rack get ripped off a pathfinder and numerous light barson other rigs in one of the places i go. Heck ive had my snorkel head popped of quite a few times on trails so i can imagine what will happen if i get a rtt.

AdventurousRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leuven, België
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Boydens
Member #

Yep no way that would stand up to what im thinking we have alot of bois d arch trees around aka one of the hardest wood on earth and they have 1+ inch thorns on the branches i watched a whole roof rack get ripped off a pathfinder and numerous light barson other rigs in one of the places i go. Heck ive had my snorkel head popped of quite a few times on trails so i can imagine what will happen if i get a rtt.
If it rips off roofracks and snorkels then the RTT would be the least of my concerns :grinning:

Reactions: Viking1204

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If it rips off roofracks and snorkels then the RTT would be the least of my concerns :grinning:
Not too worried the snorkel is clamped back on easily and i have extra heads in case any are lost but i need to remember to face it backwards so i dont have to get out and retreive it. I dont have a roof rack so no problem there, i do have a contractors rack we use sometimes but it will have to take the whole bed of the truck with it. if i did get an rtt id have to get hardshell type

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

UPDATING my views on preference of rooftop tent, ground tent, or vehicle. I wrote earlier in this thread, in April of 2018, that my first choice of sleeping quarters was not my rooftop tent, but my van. In fact, I think I wrote the rtt was pretty much my last choice after van or ground tent.

After another 350+ nights out and 20,000 miles or so since then, my first choice now is always my rooftop tent. These are the reasons why:

- Whether just stopping for the night or setting up a longer basecamp, my hardshell RTT is easiest, quickest to set up and pack away, and most comfortable.

- I love sleeping in my van, though with the amount of gear I carry for my multi-month adventures--this last cross-country trip was 8 months--the van bed is usually either stowed or covered with gear. It is also darker in the van in the morning and I tend to sleep in more. In the RTT, I'm usually up at first light and eager to get exploring. There is also far more air movement in the RTT, if I want it, than in the van.

- I do carry a great ground tent that is super comfortable, too, though a lot of places I go it is SO much easier and quicker to level the trailer, and therefore the rooftop tent, than it is to find and clear a large enough level spot for a ground tent. Easier and quicker to level the trailer than van, too. I'll probably sell my OZTent RV-5 and accessories, as I haven't used it in a year and I can't justify keeping it. I have a far more portable and easily packed 4-6 person ground tent if I need it.

- Now the van usually gets used for sleeping only when on the big road and in truck stops or SUV (stealthy urban van) camping in cities, etc. Though if I have company in camp, I always offer the rooftop tent to them as most comfortable and use the van myself.

- I've had absolutely no problems with the tent being comfortable, durable on the trail, or failing yet in any way. I've used it regularly from below freezing to temps over 100F.

After having this hardshell and being able to undo just four latches and give it a shove to open, I don't think I'd ever go for the any of the more complicated and time-consuming fold-out soft-shell rooftop tents. That's just my preference for ease and efficiency; I realize others love theirs.

I can set up all the basics of my adventure rig seen in the images below, including tent up, awning out, and galley ready to use, in under twenty minutes in any type of weather. If I am just using the rooftop tent, as seen in the images with no awning out, literally three minutes or less.

I haven't minded having to use a ladder, in the middle of the night (quite rare, actually) or otherwise. On the contrary, I found that climbing up and down the ladder and all over my rig helped my level of activity. Over the eight months out on this last leg of wandering North America, I became far more fit, trim, and agile than when I began.

Captions under each image.

o-basecamp-woodlands_8081-900.jpeg
This was last week in NH and shows full basecamp setup with the triangle corner extensions at each end of the awning. I don't always use them. They double my footprint under each awning end and add around 20 minutes to normal set up time.

o-vannery-int_6042-900.jpeg
Van set up when it's organized for sleeping. Rarely looks like this neat when base-camping with the RTT in use. The bed is usually covered with gear or stowed away. The bed board is movable anywhere along the length of the side boxes, can go along the length of either side, or be folded and stowed behind the white bulkhead at left. The two-piece mattress is upholstered and easily stowed with the folding bed board.

o-roaddude_XV2-milkyway-7124-900.jpeg
Extended basecamp setup in the Chihuahuan Desert, where I explored a hundred mile stretch of borderlands for seventeen weeks straight, documenting this year's awesome desert bloom and even more awesome night sky. The rooftop tent was a godsend as far as ease of use, efficiency, and overall comfortable sleeping quarters. The lines coming from the awning were used to help flare out FPG Thermashield field blankets to add more shade against late afternoon sun.

o-van-n-rtt-bibe_6778-1000.jpeg
One night setup style: just the rooftop tent up and a few pieces of gear out. This image was actually made as I was setting up for longer basecamp. The awning would still be zipped in its bag and I may or may not have cooking gear out or the cargo cover rolled back.

The tent is always able to be popped up, no matter how much other gear is packed on or in the trailer or van. The four latches are always accessible and my sleeping gear is always inside ready to be used. Because I sometimes have company, I keep additional sleeping gear in the van, so never have to open the tent just to grab sleeping gear if I'm on the road and stealth camping.

o-roaddude-packedupontrail.png
Loaded up and rolling. This shows the latch arrangements on the back end of the RTT. Two notched rubber straps that go through keepers. The other two straps with buckles are backup and are used when I hit the interstate. I've had no problems on the trail or highway with this RTT, no problems getting in and out of anywhere back-country I've wanted to go, and personally, I could care less about pinstriping. This is a working adventure rig and I expect dings and scratches.

o-van-trailer-roaddude-bibe_6729-900.jpeg
Borderlands camp, one-night style, cold and windy. Just tent popped up, no awning out, though I did raise the rack and moved the canoe to the ground because I was organizing the trailer's nosebox, and later, cargo area.

rtt-int_4990-900.jpeg
Interior measurements on my RTT are 82"L x 56"W (mattress dims) x 33" high from mattress to inside top. Mattress is actually a little longer but a tad narrower than a standard Queen mattress. Plenty roomy. I often sit up there to work on my laptop. Easily enough room to play cards with someone. I keep a standard TV tray up there to keep things on, especially drinks, phone, and edc flashlight, so they don't fall over or get lost in the covers.

Again, the overall ease and efficiency of popping up the rooftop tent makes it the easiest and most logical choice for any night I'm camping, and far away the most comfortable. Having openings on all four sides and allowing a breeze to waft through makes naps and overnight sleeping in the RTT a treat.

If anyone has questions on anything in this post, you can see more on my insta @roaddude or can post here. I'll be on and off-grid all summer, so not always able to get back in here to respond quickly.

Last edited:

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
For me, it comes down to being mobil. I usually setup camp and then go exploring. A rtt would tie me down, but I'm a Basecamp kinda guy, establish a nest and work the area until ready to move on.
I have a RTT and a Ground tent for just that situation.

KDR Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Elm, TX, USA
First Name
KEVIN
Last Name
RODGERS
Member #

I am with you with a nay on the roof tent. Though it looks cook you cant go exploring without packing up and if you do any crawling well it would be a big mess on a roll over. Also it restricts taking the top down limiting your options.

Contributor III

Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Janish

This is my new ground tent. It’s 8’4”x8’4” and I can stand upright (I’m 6’1”). Can set up a table and chairs to play games or whatever in bad weather. Try that in a RTT. First time I set it up, it took me 7min;4sec. And 5min;15seconds to completely pack it up. And it only weighs 18 lbs. RTT’s are good for foul weather. For everything else, I’ll keep my ground tents.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
That is a nice sized tent!!

spencer graham

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Albuquerque, NM
Member #

I am good with a pop up ground tent... so I can drive away from my tent and the camp. But my wife like a bit more security in the rooftop. Does not matter if security is real or perceived. So rooftop

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Nay
My rig is also my daily driver and I use the bed of the truck to haul things on nearly a daily basis. So, the constant removal, storage and re-attaching of the RTT (and the rack it goes on) would be a serious pain. A ground tent, even as large as I have, compacts into a much smaller footprint and stores nicely in a weatherproof case unti I need it. Then, it just slips into the bed with the rest of the gear. Plus, 99% of the time, my wife and one of my teen sons will be with me, so space is a real concern. no RTT has the room of my 10'x14' Kodiak ground tent. I can fit both a queen and a twin air mattress and still have room in the middle to walk. It's also tall enough for anyone up to 6' tall to stand upright without hitting the roof, even on the sides.
K2.jpeg

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

we cant do to medical conditions we can put our 10 man tent put and all the supplies in an hour. upside your not bear food if up top.

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

I first got a truck bed tent (Rightline) to see how that would work. I found out two things - it sucks to break camp every day if you need to drive to a trailhead or do four wheeling. Secondly, my wife didn’t like crawling in and out of the back. I went back to a ground tent. If you have a pickup - that route will tell you whether you like a RTT.

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

A very interesting thread, to say the least. I was a little disappointed with one aspect of it as one who owns and uses a 2018 JKUR as my vehicle to explore in. The disappointment is that nobody who posted mentioned the Ursa Minor J30, which is what I am on the fence about when it comes to pulling the trigger on. I have been going back and forth on this issue since the day I ordered my Jeep. I imagine it might be considered a roof top tent by some, and no one by others...I certainly have no opinion on that particular aspect of it.

Let me explain a little first. Yes, I love exploring and camping, I have done so all my life and I am 58 years old. While I do explore and travel for the sake of the trip itself, many times I do so to hunt, fish (I love to fly fish) and rock hound or to prospect. I have camped by just sleeping on the ground, just a sleeping bag, to hammocks, to tent(s) of every conceivable size and comfort, to sleeping in my vehicle, to sleeping in a "camper" shell, a slide in truck camper to motorhome. I like the idea of the rtt, however, my girlfriend is rather short and my Jeep is rather tall so putting it on and taking it off would be a chore.

I realize the cons of a J30, starting with the cost, as we say in South Georgia, "They ain't cheap" and I also realize they might not have as much space as many of the other roof sleeping options, but I can live with that. As for exploring, (base camp would create the ideal situation, especially for hunting and fishing) well, they take a minute or two at most to set up or take down, and if saving my spot is a concern, a cheap Wal-Mart tent that is small and takes no time to set up or tear down and if someone steals it, so what, solves the issue of "marking my spot" so to speak. As for those days of rain and more rain leading to being cooped up in your vehicle, well, there are enough awning annex options available for inclusion with the J30 to solve those rainy day issues. I am sure there are numerous other cons that I am not away of, so anyone with one please say something.

Now for the pros, as I see them. Ease of setting up and taking down, literally less than a minute or two. Entry from inside the vehicle or with a ladder, the outside. Storage, those with JKUs know, storage space is at a premium, and not having to store bedding, cots or sleeping pads you open up more space, they all store readily in the unit itself. Off the ground, I explore a wide range of areas, from the swamps and piney flatwoods of the deep southeast, the southern Appalachians (both of which experience a good bit of inclement weather at times) not to mention all the venomous snakes, raccoons, possums, etc...which at times seek shelter in ones ground tent along with the occasional bear who might stumble across your camp (vehicle entry as opposed to a ladder which bears can use). One last aspect, you can get load bars on them and also carry a light kayak or canoe on top along with a light rod vault for all your fishing tackle if you so desire (fly rods can take time to assemble and rig, especially with my aging eye sight and having that already done makes life a lot easier when you stumble across that magical spot)....and/or store a rifle or shotgun or two up in the camper top when traveling out of sight from those who might not be as inclined to respect others' property as I am.

I realize it sounds like I have already made the decission, I haven't. Hence this post. Anyone who has experience with the J30, please speak up, especially with cons as you see them. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: RPilk

TBox0194

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Moody
I started out with a few ground tents, the cheap ozark trails, graduated to a higher end one from REI (I don’t recall the brand), then got my front runner rtt. The tent was awesome and had zero issues, I ended up getting rid of the tent and stopped camping for a few years. I am now getting back 8nto the outdoors and have already purchased a 4 person ground tent from Academy and had a few nights in it with no issues. I miss my rtt but for practicality I do not miss having to take down camp For short driving trips. I am looking to build a trailer soon to alleviate this. For now the money that would be spent on a rtt is going toward a much needed new kayak and gear.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I like the idea of the rtt, however, my girlfriend is rather short and my Jeep is rather tall so putting it on and taking it off would be a chore.
One thing I don't understand is why people go to the trouble of installing and removing a rooftop tent. Maybe I'm spending more time in mine, but from the time I get home from one trip to the time I'm ready for another is minimal - often as little as two weeks. My tent has been on top of my FJ for over 4 years. Of course, sun and weather take their toll on everything. When I found the cover to be leaking slightly, I replaced it, but it was only about $125, and was a solid upgrade from the original cover.

Reactions: Jay61 and 100RNR

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

A Hard-shell tent you can leave on indefinitely. I live in Belgium, Brussels in an apartment, I have no garage. The Landcruiser is parked on the street with the RTT on as a permanent fixture and in Brussels it rains significantly 220 days /year on average.
I have some antitheft bolts on it, but honestly, it is 77 kg, you need a forklift or some kind of pulley system to steal it from the car.
When I open the tent is absolutely dry inside, after staying closed in the rain for 2 months. At least my tent, it is an Autohome Columbus is made from a fiberglass used in boat construction, so it is designed to take the UV and rain beating , no issues so far.
I do have a second daily driver, a small city hybrid car. I would have a hard time going in to the small underground parking lots, most of them allow height of only 2.5 m and I can't fit in.
Most tracks in Europe are very narrow and full of trees on the side, it gets hit all the time by branches, all I have so far are superficial scratches.
If I have to drive off from the camping spot.. no issues.. I leave my chairs and table there and drive off, everything else is in the car. So I can drive off in 5 min . If they want to steal a 60 euro chair and 30 euro table.. fine.. I would probably get robbed anyway if I stay longer there.. :) I take it as a sign to leave. But it never happend so far.. :)

Reactions: Viking1204

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

One thing I don't understand is why people go to the trouble of installing and removing a rooftop tent. Maybe I'm spending more time in mine, but from the time I get home from one trip to the time I'm ready for another is minimal - often as little as two weeks. My tent has been on top of my FJ for over 4 years. Of course, sun and weather take their toll on everything. When I found the cover to be leaking slightly, I replaced it, but it was only about $125, and was a solid upgrade from the original cover.
I reckon it all depends on where you live. I live in south Georgia, where humidity, tropical storms, hurricanes and rain and then more rain is an issue. I would be concerned with mildew during the summer when it rains and nothing really dries out for days...I see you live in Virginia Beach, at least y'all have sea breezes to help with the drying. We tend to have no breeze at all during the summer thunderstorm season. I am just assuming it would be an issue here, it might not be.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I just used Virgina Beach as an approximation. I'm a bit further west and more like halfway between the Dismal Swamp and the coast - the worst of both worlds! lol

Unless they get wet and stay wet, these tents are incredibly resistant to mildew. I did have a slight leak on my original cover. I opened the tent up and bombed it inside and out with a floral-scented Lysol. There's still staining, but nothing active and no odor.

Leaving it installed is probably a better option than you might believe.

Reactions: Jay61

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

I just used Virgina Beach as an approximation. I'm a bit further west and more like halfway between the Dismal Swamp and the coast - the worst of both worlds! lol

Unless they get wet and stay wet, these tents are incredibly resistant to mildew. I did have a slight leak on my original cover. I opened the tent up and bombed it inside and out with a floral-scented Lysol. There's still staining, but nothing active and no odor.

Leaving it installed is probably a better option than you might believe.
I literally live in a swamp...I was standing maybe 75 ft from my front door when I took this picture. DSC02691.JPG