Let’s be honest; Roof Top Tent- Yay or Nay?

• HTML tutorial

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Have you actually tried and used all of these options? You should start a thread really breaking down all of them and sharing your experiences with them. So much of this world is niche, it’s often hard to find first person experiences with a style upgrade or change you’re considering. I for one would love to hear about all those experiences of yours. Sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge!
I kind of just did :)
I tried to point out which options I'd tried and which I'd "tested" and which I'd love to try.
Things I've done more than once: Bushcraft shelter, Poncho (no flat ground, damn cold and wet), small tents -REI, Sierra Designs, Kelty, Stephenson, big nylon tent - REI, big canvas tent (10x12) Colman (I think - long time ago), Kifaru Sawtooth - hot tent, Back of the Subaru, Back of the Rubicon, Rubicon + Autohome Airtop, Back of pickup + canopy, Back of pickup no canopy + pad, airbed, and cot - I found the cot the most comfortable. Full camper (not mine). Full trailers (useless for overlanding - but very comfy) - lived in one for about 9 months while I was helping a friend build his house.

I test drove a Sportsmobile and tried out everything including a couple of bed options - Amazing vehicles, but not cheep, I'd say if you can afford it they're worth every penny. Popup campers - nice, practical, really convenient. I explored tear drops at the time I was camper shopping (about 12 years ago). There are now off road teardrops - that's tempting.

Want to try: Tent Hammock (that cold happen) Earthcrusier (possible not not likely) Earth Roamer - yeah, maybe if I win the Power Ball.

Most likely next test: Tent Hammock in back of truck - if I can work it out. Followed by an Oregon Trail"R teardrop.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin108

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

My buddy did okay in a hammock with a light rain, but when it came down like this, the rain ran down the straps in along the bottom of the hammock. Meanwhile, I was high and dry.

Damn! That's a lot of rain! That reminds me of one of the first times I got out in my RTT-over 7" of rain in less than 24hrs, storm came out of nowhere. Sat in my tent and just stared outside :)

Reactions: Kevin108

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
I just bit the bullet this past Friday and ordered a Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized. I've done a fair bit of ground camping in the past and huffed it on some of the Colorado trail a few years ago. I made the decision because I didn't want the sleeping and actual campsite to be the focus...like wow I was actually able to make it through out there...I wanted the journey and the destination to be the focus.

The ease of use of the modern tents and integrated systems like awnings and bedding that stays done just sealed the deal for me. My budding overland rig is my new daily driver, but I got a rack that will make it easy to install rails directly to the bottom of the tent and take it off whenever it isn't being used. I've seen it done several times before, and I will be creating a pulley/gantry crane system in my garage to take it off and store it easy.

Cool thread and nice to read other's experiences and opinions.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I absolutely love my RTT. I went with the Tepui Kukenam 3 and it has been fantastic. Much more comfortable, more easily deployed as well. If I decide I want to go vehicle exploring it takes about 8 minutes to close up and drive away. No regrets on my part. Some shots from a recent trip to the UP of Michigan. The really funny thing is, after my trip I took it off assuming gas milage had suffered with it installed. There was no difference in milage , it's going back on top.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sorry to thread hijack but....trying to determine whether this mounting option would be feasible on a 5th gen 4Runner? I know the hatch wouldn't be able to open fully but need to know if it would hit the ladder or not?..thanks and sorry again for the hijack.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I bought my roof top tent last summer in prep for a ten week drive around the country. Before that many years of backpacking(which I still do)/ground tent camping.

The RTT is on my daily driver and won't fit in my garage. And I don't care, honestly. For me, it's that useful.

I take a lot of weekend trips, and it's nice to be able to leave the night before, drive until I'm tired, find a campground (or the occasional WalMart parking lot), pop the tent, go to sleep. Wake up, close the tent, and hit the road.

I do have a hardshell, so set up and tear down is quick and easy. Two or three minutes on either end.

I get that it won't work for anyone. But it's about perfect for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
What tent is this? EDIT: never mind just saw your next post...Alucab 3. I am also looking at the Eezi-awn Blade. Thinking this setup would be ideal for my situation. A lot of cost up front but should pay for itself over the years.

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

Installed a Tuff Stuff RTT on my 2007 FJ. The rack I use is a Bajarack medium size flat rack. I love this tent. It's very comfortable, warm, and has plenty of ventilation. The mattress is just a bit larger than a queen, but I made a queen fitted sheet work on it since it's only 4" thick. I really should've mounted it facing to the passenger side. I'll be rotating it to the other side soon.

Tuff Stuff is a great company to deal with. Highly recommended.

Attachments

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I've camped out in probably every scenario. From a blanket beside the fire to a 36' travel trailer. My current setup is a Toyota Tacoma short bed with RTT. It's better and more convenient than a ground tent but if I had it to do over, I would have bought a Toyota 4 Runner and converted to a permanent bed in back. My reason being mostly security. Too many crazies these days stealing stuff to get a meth fix or whatever. My current security system is my chihuahua and a loaded .44 pistol but I'd feel better at night with locked doors. My second choice would be a long bed with camper shell. Lockable from inside. I'd never go back to a ground tent or a travel trailer. The latter is too limiting in where you can go. All that being said...I don't regret my choice of a RTT. The CVT is a quality product and has lasted me a long time without any trouble or signs of wear.

IMG_0819.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0805.jpgIMG_0815.jpg

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I spent 50 bucks or so on a Walmart Instant Tent that sleeps 6. It takes about 3 minutes to set up, stake, and install the rain fly, and not much more to break it down. It takes up little space and was super easy on the wallet, which is very good because the Jeep and its mods were very expensive!

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

What tent is this? EDIT: never mind just saw your next post...Alucab 3. I am also looking at the Eezi-awn Blade. Thinking this setup would be ideal for my situation. A lot of cost up front but should pay for itself over the years.
I was looking at the Eezi-awn as well. I went with the Alucab mostly because I could drive to see it in person.
That said, I got my Eezi-awn rack from equipt1, and Paul and is staff have been great.
I doubt you could go wrong with either.

Reactions: Wallygator

rs680

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Barrie
Member #

For me this is a hard pick.
Right now I would have to say nay to a roof top tent.
But then again I never have used one so I am not sure.
I use to have a Toyota Tacoma in my younger years and use to use a ground tent.
But now I am older I sort of move up to a 32foot motorhome over time.
But I have been gaining more and more interest in overlanding and I would like to get in to some setup but I was thinking more of a hard wall off road trailer.
Also something with a bathroom inside so I do not have to go search the woods at 3 am to relive myself. At my age and due to some health issues I just can not rough it like I use too.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I've camped out in probably every scenario. From a blanket beside the fire to a 36' travel trailer. My current setup is a Toyota Tacoma short bed with RTT. It's better and more convenient than a ground tent but if I had it to do over, I would have bought a Toyota 4 Runner and converted to a permanent bed in back. My reason being mostly security. Too many crazies these days stealing stuff to get a meth fix or whatever. My current security system is my chihuahua and a loaded .44 pistol but I'd feel better at night with locked doors. My second choice would be a long bed with camper shell. Lockable from inside. I'd never go back to a ground tent or a travel trailer. The latter is too limiting in where you can go. All that being said...I don't regret my choice of a RTT. The CVT is a quality product and has lasted me a long time without any trouble or signs of wear.

View attachment 91578View attachment 91579View attachment 91580View attachment 91581
TacomaDave, I hear ya with the "theft & security" concerns. While I'm with my rig at campsites it's all too common to have unknown vehicles show up at all hours (day or night) and it creates a bit of a tense moment.

Thankfully, so far, while remote/dispersed camping when the driver & passengers see me stand up, look straight at them, and begin walking in their direction to intercept them - before they enter my "space" - they usually wave or offer a "howdy" then turn around driving away as if it were all a mistake. What has me more freaked out is when I want to take a hike either along my track to a campsite or at a trailhead near my campsite... I feel like I've got to pack up entirely and secure my kit as best I can.

My setup is much like yours - RTT on a locking rack system over the bed of my PU (02 Ford Ranger 4x4). I have a three storage bin setup which I "secure" with a long thin cable and padlock system. However since bins are plastic my efforts are really more to slow or discourage theft not an actual prevention strategy. So plan "A" is to pack and load everything then back up to a tree or boulder as to prevent potential thieves (meth-heads or otherwise) from being able to easily open the tailgate and pull the bins out - or any other gear for that matter. But if they are really determined they could break a window of the truck cab and have access to my tools, concealed electronics, portable air pump, etc.

Bottom line is that I hike only for brief periods away from my rig - sad - but as far as faith in my fellow man?? Not much of that left anymore. I miss the days where respect for others property was commonly shared by everyone who was venturing out into the "wild". I don't expect it will get any better in the foreseeable future either. Wish I had a "cloaking device" so I could just have my rig disappear when I wanted to venture away to catch a sunset or sunrise on a nearby ridge...

Honeymooners

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kalispell, Montana, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Reese
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Honeymooners
I love my RTT. Quick and easy. I am a firm believer in having it on a trailer though so you can go adventure. My wife and I can have camp set up in about 5 - 8 minutes. This is really nice for those bad weather days. There are multiple problems with ground camping. Main reason is not being flat. Seems there is always a root or a hole that ends up right where you sleep. Secondly is the bottom of the tent usually get dirt/mud and pine needs stuck to it that then gets in your storage place for it. Lastly there's the critter factor. I've had Grizzlies walk through my camp and being up off the ground give me that few seconds more of reaction time if needed. So far so good on them not bothering us up in the tent. So far they have only just sniffed and looked around. Every thing is on a slide out except 1 table too so at night is is an easy close everything up. 20180728_183040.jpg

Mattyspies3

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle, WA, USA
Member #

I love my RTT. Quick and easy. I am a firm believer in having it on a trailer though so you can go adventure. My wife and I can have camp set up in about 5 - 8 minutes. This is really nice for those bad weather days. There are multiple problems with ground camping. Main reason is not being flat. Seems there is always a root or a hole that ends up right where you sleep. Secondly is the bottom of the tent usually get dirt/mud and pine needs stuck to it that then gets in your storage place for it. Lastly there's the critter factor. I've had Grizzlies walk through my camp and being up off the ground give me that few seconds more of reaction time if needed. So far so good on them not bothering us up in the tent. So far they have only just sniffed and looked around. Every thing is on a slide out except 1 table too so at night is is an easy close everything up. View attachment 92836
I completely agree with the trailer route if you have a place to store it at home and can afford the combo. Every setup has it's benefits and disadvantages. The ability to set up base camp and take off on an adventure with the rig makes this setup ideal for most. That being said I have a ground tent for now because I don't have a place to store a trailer and couldn't afford it lol;) Love your setup! Thanks for posting.

Reactions: JButtress

Honeymooners

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kalispell, Montana, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Reese
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Honeymooners
I built these trailers. Both have even been on the Rubicon Trail. The one on the right is my proto type. We beat the hell out of it. If you are interested I can build you a trailer for about 10K depending on what you want. A base trailer that you would accessorize would be $4500.