Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Once again it has happened. At an OB event a member was showing bad gun ownership. Long time followers of this thread can see what happened at another event I attended a few years back with poor firearms ownership. I don't really care if you carry a gun or not. That's your own business and I'm not going to butt in on it. When you pull it out and start pointing it around without regard to the others around you then it does become my business. But for a second time at a OB event I was witness to firearms being handled in a manor that would get you kicked out of a firing range. I was sitting in a chair enjoying the view and a few members had been talking guns. On of the people disappeared for a bit and showed back up with his pistol in hand and was showing off it's features to another member when in his eagerness to please I had the weapon inadvertently pointed at me. I exploded into a loud protest to have him point the weapon away from me. He told me it was unloaded. (this is never a proper response to pointing a gun at someone) I told him I didn't care and to put the gun way if he couldn't handle it properly. As a gun owner myself I NEVER pull it out to show it off. I was taught from a very early age that you don't show your hole card. What is even more disturbing is that he was ex military. Of all the people who should know how to handle a weapon it should be him. He did come up and apologize to me in person for the incident but that was little comfort. I believe he should have been asked by the Rally Point organizer leave the event. I did not organize the event but If I had I would have asked him to leave. What are your thoughts on this type of negligence? Am I overreacting? @Kent R @Michael
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grubworm:
"there have been many people shot with "unloaded" guns, so yeah...i would be pretty pissed having any gun pointed toward me. i used to gunsmith and i had an FFL
years back and even with that level of comfort, i certainly would not be pulling out any guns in public right now, especially considering how volatile that subject is. i figure a carried weapon is like a wallet full of cash...good to have, but not something that anyone needs to know about.
unfortunately, people like the guy you mentioned is the very reason there are so many laws in place...to protect people from themselves and other's carelessness"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I might not be so adamant about showing off a sidearm/long-arm,.........You have to know the competence of those you show to before NOT AFTER! A OB event is not a firearms session. As stated above, there is no place for such things, and as mentioned it is not recommended. I totally agree about being pi**ed-off . I too have been down wind of idiotic behavior, and it is not a comfortable feeling. If some-one is carrying a HOLSTERED side arm in a group, I am not going to be too concerned in a group gathering. But if seen being passed around.......you bet. Take it outside camp at the minimum, or hold a impromptu class where safety guidelines and prior clearing can be done in a controlled setting and verified by all. One thing I always asked was how familiar with the make and model on display. Finger control is the big telltale also, it says a lot.....visually, It was also ALWAYS passed over in a open, out of battery condition (revolver/auto)...actions open.

For me too, It was driven into me SAFE gun handling by my parents. From a early age on, I have been very conscious of that aspect. Decades ago my father and I did State sponsored SAFE HUNTER training to those wanting to get a hunting license and being qualified to do so. I would like to think we were successful with many classmates.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Nobody likes being swept with a muzzle, it happens all to often. But rather than blow up at someone, try calmly explaining that they are being reckless. I am glad that the offender apologized to you, but he or she could have just as likely, fired the weapon accidentally upon being startled. I have, as a regular practice, 2 firearms in my possession at most times. I do not ever when I plan to drink spirits as an example. However when the topic of firearms comes up in casual conversation, I am not afraid to show someone who asks what might be on my hip once I am comfortable with them. I will even allow them to handle it once it has been properly cleared. No one has ever known I carry a backup until now. I also think it is important to teach the uninformed and often ill informed, about firearms and bring new people including children into the shooting sports. Most any non criminal can acquire a weapon, Hell, I bought my first rifle at Kmart on my 18th birthday for 75 bucks(I'm 52 now). But the purchase of a firearm does not as a matter of course, come with a mentor to teach you proper firearm handling. Millions of weapons are out there and I would warrant that a sizable chunk of them are in the hands of the untrained. Instead of screaming at someone, you should be educating them. Just my 2 bits.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Nobody likes being swept with a muzzle, it happens all to often. But rather than blow up at someone, try calmly explaining that they are being reckless. I am glad that the offender apologized to you, but he or she could have just as likely, fired the weapon accidentally upon being startled. I have, as a regular practice, 2 firearms in my possession at most times. I do not ever when I plan to drink spirits as an example. However when the topic of firearms comes up in casual conversation, I am not afraid to show someone who asks what might be on my hip once I am comfortable with them. I will even allow them to handle it once it has been properly cleared. No one has ever known I carry a backup until now. I also think it is important to teach the uninformed and often ill informed, about firearms and bring new people including children into the shooting sports. Most any non criminal can acquire a weapon, Hell, I bought my first rifle at Kmart on my 18th birthday for 75 bucks(I'm 52 now). But the purchase of a firearm does not as a matter of course, come with a mentor to teach you proper firearm handling. Millions of weapons are out there and I would warrant that a sizable chunk of them are in the hands of the untrained. Instead of screaming at someone, you should be educating them. Just my 2 bits.
I didn't scream at this gentleman....I protested loudly....I'm not really a screamer....but I get your point....education is the key...I just feel that at OB events weapons should not be taken out unless there is some clear and present danger that warrants it. I will neither confirm nor deny whether I had one of my weapons on me or near me. That is really no ones business but my own. I feel an OB event is no place to be taking out a weapon for show and tell. At a previous event someone left a gun on their bumper ( I guess it was just too uncomfortable for him to carry it properly) and pulled away for a day trip. Came back and he couldn't find his weapon. Then it was found by someone who had never handled a fire arm and was pointing it around asking who it belonged to. This all happened within yards of a playground. So I've seen this mishandling at events twice now. I'm just hoping that it doesn't happen a third time and someone is severely hurt or killed. I have often witnessed gun owners treating their weapons way to casually. This disturbs me more than anything.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
The idiot who left the weapon on the bumper and walked away would have permantly lost is with me around. I would have taken it and turned it over to the local police and explained to them where I found it. Negligence is inexcusable, that said, I think that I would choose not to attend any event, just as I choose not to do business with any establishment that prohibits me from exercising any of my rights.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
What is even more disturbing is that he was ex military. @Kent R @Michael
This is unfortunately a mistake many folks make, assuming because someone wore a uniform (police or military) they know anything about weapons. I did fire arms instruction for rifle and pistol for the better part of a decade, I saw so many messed up situations with people who should know better. Ammo in magazines backwards. Trying to put mags in upside down or backwards. Flagging everyone. Not to mention the amount of firearms myths that pop out of the military in general.

Police are guilty of it as well. Using your weapon mounted light to look at a vin and blasting a hole in some poor dudes dash for instance.

Last edited:

Lexuswoobie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harker Heights, Texas, USA
First Name
Tri
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX545
Once again it has happened. At an OB event a member was showing bad gun ownership. Long time followers of this thread can see what happened at another event I attended a few years back with poor firearms ownership. I don't really care if you carry a gun or not. That's your own business and I'm not going to butt in on it. When you pull it out and start pointing it around without regard to the others around you then it does become my business. But for a second time at a OB event I was witness to firearms being handled in a manor that would get you kicked out of a firing range. I was sitting in a chair enjoying the view and a few members had been talking guns. On of the people disappeared for a bit and showed back up with his pistol in hand and was showing off it's features to another member when in his eagerness to please I had the weapon inadvertently pointed at me. I exploded into a loud protest to have him point the weapon away from me. He told me it was unloaded. (this is never a proper response to pointing a gun at someone) I told him I didn't care and to put the gun way if he couldn't handle it properly. As a gun owner myself I NEVER pull it out to show it off. I was taught from a very early age that you don't show your hole card. What is even more disturbing is that he was ex military. Of all the people who should know how to handle a weapon it should be him. He did come up and apologize to me in person for the incident but that was little comfort. I believe he should have been asked by the Rally Point organizer leave the event. I did not organize the event but If I had I would have asked him to leave. What are your thoughts on this type of negligence? Am I overreacting? @Kent R @Michael
The main issue of this post is the very wrong idea that all military vets should be a firearms expert. It is simply not the case. Like cops, they qualify in basic training and then only once every 6 months with a rifle
(Army and MC. Air Firce and Navy people MAYBE once a year.). Very few of us get really proficient with firearms if they are not a daily part of your job. Its like saying everyone in the Army is proficient with the A1Abrams tank. The Air Force only in the last number of years even qualified with long perisable skill.guns...
Firearm sa

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Our Jeep is less than secure with it's soft top on. Bringing a shotgun along for the ride creates headaches for the storage of it at night or when away from the vehicle. I'm in Canada, our laws state that it has to be (ambiguously) 'safely stored'. Also, handguns are not permitted outside of your residence or an approved gun range, unless you are one of the very few fortunate enough to have received the rare-as-unicorn-teeth blessing of a permit.
A knife, sure - no problem. Bear spray, same thing. An axe or hatchet, yep - they're good to go. A big problem for us is if you are ever asked why you are carrying something. Self defense seems to be frowned on here, in general. As a tool, no problem. Confused??
A large flashlight or even a hockey stick, no one would cast a second glance! :grinning:

My only real bit of advice is to know the laws of the areas you are traveling. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
Very well put! Yup! Hockey sticks and baseball bats can come in handy
Guns are pretty much frowned upon here in Canada. And, if you’re not hunting in designated areas, and wish to show off your rifle in camp or public, chances are, you’ll end up in serious trouble with the law.
Even archery equipment (bow and arrows) follow certain legal requirements in terms of permits.
Agree that knowing the law before venturing into a country is important. As you said, ignorance is not an excuse.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a gun is good, also good to have motion detection lights around your tent/camper and if the area is really creepy....i will put a couple tacks in the wife's shoe so if we have to suddenly run for our lives in the middle of the night, i figure having that extra edge cant hurt...

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

a gun is good, also good to have motion detection lights around your tent/camper and if the area is really creepy....i will put a couple tacks in the wife's shoe so if we have to suddenly run for our lives in the middle of the night, i figure having that extra edge cant hurt...
Motion detection lights, That is something to add for sure

Reactions: Ubiety