Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
a gun is good, also good to have motion detection lights around your tent/camper and if the area is really creepy....i will put a couple tacks in the wife's shoe so if we have to suddenly run for our lives in the middle of the night, i figure having that extra edge cant hurt...

That last part got me to lol

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I was elk hunting several years ago. Found an amazing series of drainages. Would walk one out return to my truck move on to the next. Grab a few hours sleep under the shell and repeat. Did this for a couple of weeks. When I got home I started researching a few things to make the next trip a little more comfortable. That’s when I discovered that I was basically overlanding. Now I hunt, fish and sight see the same way I did back then. Overlanding to me is a combination of everything I love to do and an opportunity to do it all at the same time. No matter where I am there’s a few things you will always find in my truck - fishing poles, firearms, tools and a spare can of Copenhagen. Firearms and hunting brought me to overlanding. They are part of my essential gear.

AnthonyD1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
D
I always have a gun on me and a dedicated handgun that stays in the truck that's easier to get to than the one in my waistband while driving.

Depending on where I'm going that day I also carry one of the below. The CZ Scorpion folds up nicely and makes a good backpack gun. So glad I made the move out of Cali 1.5 years ago. The hoops I had to jump through to have a carry permit and own guns was insane. Now I'm in the most gun friendly state and county in the nation.
IMG_0618.jpg
62968184440__04C41188-64B3-42E5-BCF2-28EDDD1969D0.jpg

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I always have a gun on me and a dedicated handgun that stays in the truck that's easier to get to then the one in my waistband while driving.

Depending on where I'm going that day I also carry one of the below. The CZ Scorpion folds up nicely and makes a good backpack gun. So glad I made the move out of Cali 1.5 years ago. The hoops I had to jump through to have a carry permit and own guns was insane. Now I'm in the most gun friendly state and county in the nation.
View attachment 189775
View attachment 189776
Yep!

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

I have always felt the safest in the woods, away from people. I never felt a need for any type of weapon. Man, animal....it didn't matter.
That all changed shortly after the episode in Ely, MN known as the "Ely Six".

It was just 2-3 years after that I was on a canoe camping trip down a remote river with my wife and another couple. After a great day on the river, we pull into a very nice unreservable paddle in only site and set up. After dinner clean up, we hear the crashing of ATV's coming down a trail from quite a distance. It gets closer and pretty soon they roll up right into the paddle in only river site.
They get off and announce that they are taking the site and that we better get our shit and leave. The sun is starting to set and I tell them straight out that we are not about to travel by canoe down a class II river in the dark.
The standoff started. I settled back down on the log by my friend and very gently removed my knife without them noticing as others pulled up and they discussed what they were going to do with us. We were outnumbered.They huddled together in hushed voices giving us the stink eye every so often. I whispered to my friend that if I moved, it was time to fight with everything we had.

The standoff lasted over a half hour with me appearing calm, sitting there (it was the only way I could hide the small knife) and insisting that we were not moving and going over the rules for the use of the site and that we were in the right. I would hear nothing else.

They jumped back on their machines and said, "We'll be back!"
Now, too dark to embark safely, we fortified what we could, made spears and threw deadfall across the trail to warn us of another approach. They never came back.

Nobody slept that night.
Now....I carry every single time. And it sucks that I have to.

Do some reading on the Ely Six. Anyone would have been justified to defend themselves with lethal methods that night. And that comes from a Judge and a State Prosecutor I often hit the backcountry with either backpacking or paddling.

AnthonyD1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
D
I have always felt the safest in the woods, away from people. I never felt a need for any type of weapon. Man, animal....it didn't matter.
Thank you for sharing that story!

Where I'm at, it's assumed that everyone is carrying. The first week I moved here I saw a mountain lion running from tree line to tree line. I have a feeling he was following me for awhile.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Thank you for sharing that story!

Where I'm at, it's assumed that everyone is carrying. The first week I moved here I saw a mountain lion running from tree line to tree line. I have a feeling he was following me for awhile.
Yep. You were lucky to even see him...most don't.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)

It was just 2-3 years after that I was on a canoe camping trip down a remote river with my wife and another couple. After a great day on the river, we pull into a very nice unreservable paddle in only site and set up. After dinner clean up, we hear the crashing of ATV's coming down a trail from quite a distance. It gets closer and pretty soon they roll up right into the paddle in only river site.
They get off and announce that they are taking the site and that we better get our shit and leave. The sun is starting to set and I tell them straight out that we are not about to travel by canoe down a class II river in the dark.
The standoff started. I settled back down on the log by my friend and very gently removed my knife without them noticing as others pulled up and they discussed what they were going to do with us. We were outnumbered.They huddled together in hushed voices giving us the stink eye every so often. I whispered to my friend that if I moved, it was time to fight with everything we had.

The standoff lasted over a half hour with me appearing calm, sitting there (it was the only way I could hide the small knife) and insisting that we were not moving and going over the rules for the use of the site and that we were in the right. I would hear nothing else.

They jumped back on their machines and said, "We'll be back!"
Now, too dark to embark safely, we fortified what we could, made spears and threw deadfall across the trail to warn us of another approach. They never came back.

Nobody slept that night.
Now....I carry every single time. And it sucks that I have to.

Do some reading on the Ely Six. Anyone would have been justified to defend themselves with lethal methods that night. And that comes from a Judge and a State Prosecutor I often hit the backcountry with either backpacking or paddling.
Yep. That's a perfect example that drives home the point that anything can happen anywhere and at any time. It's amazing, and fortunate, that no one was injured or killed that night.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Yep. That's a perfect example that drives home the point that anything can happen anywhere and at any time. It's amazing, and fortunate, that no one was injured or killed that night.
It makes one rethink everything. I feel we were very lucky.
Outnumbered and outraged, it wasn't looking good. even typing that out, I still get goosebumps thinking about the "huddle" with them occasionally looking back over their shoulders at us, watching us and planning their options. The fact that they had to even discuss it shows that there was at least some thought of violence against us among the small group.

Had that happened today, even standing up as they rolled into camp with an open carried weapon on my hip signifying we were not an easy target would have ended it right there. My buddy also carries all the time now also.
It sucks, but society is what it is anymore. We used to laugh at the senseless violence of third world countries. We are no longer that far behind.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
It makes one rethink everything. I feel we were very lucky.
Outnumbered and outraged, it wasn't looking good. even typing that out, I still get goosebumps thinking about the "huddle" with them occasionally looking back over their shoulders at us, watching us and planning their options. The fact that they had to even discuss it shows that there was at least some thought of violence against us among the small group.

Had that happened today, even standing up as they rolled into camp with an open carried weapon on my hip signifying we were not an easy target would have ended it right there. My buddy also carries all the time now also.
It sucks, but society is what it is anymore. We used to laugh at the senseless violence of third world countries. We are no longer that far behind.
Totally agree. Things could've gone way different than they did.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i are wanting to do some dispersed camping out in new mexico
...don't have the slightest clue what kind of weapon is needed out there...:confused:

1615392887521.png

• Haha
Reactions: velo47 and Ubiety

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

the wife and i are wanting to do some dispersed camping out in new mexico
...don't have the slightest clue what kind of weapon is needed out there...:confused:

View attachment 190633
I would think I’d pack whatever it takes to keep them from getting to use those rubber gloves. From what I’ve seen on tv, they have big long fingers. I don’t want get butt probed with a little tiny finger.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I would think I’d pack whatever it takes to keep them from getting to use those rubber gloves. From what I’ve seen on tv, they have big long fingers. I don’t want get butt probed with a little tiny finger.
It's funny because it's true.

Reactions: grubworm and Ubiety