Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

yeah, a .22 is a pretty good round. i have several rifles and pistols in that caliber and really like my Ruger 10/22 with a laser on it...dont even have to bring it up to sight, just put the dot where i want it. i use CCI 36 grain hollow points which come out at close to 1300fps whereas some of the cheaper round nose ammo only have muzzle velocities in the 700-800 fps range, so for a LR round, I like the CCI and of course the magnum rounds will be in the 2000fps range with a good bit more energy delivered with the same grain bullet. either way, i personally wouldn't want to be shot with either!

View attachment 134709
Thats like the old 70s mp5 d cell flashlight mount. Just put a big ol d cell mag light on it and roll.
IMG_6429.JPG.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I like your 10/22. I haven't seen anything like it before.
i put it together just for fun...its not really practical the way its set up, BUT it is a lot of fun to shoot and i enjoy popping water mocassins in the head with it as they swim across my pond in the back yard. guess it could be used as home defense, but definitely not my first choice
Thats like the old 70s mp5 d cell flashlight mount. Just put a big ol d cell mag light on it and roll.
View attachment 134768.
SWEET!

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
yeah, a .22 is a pretty good round. i have several rifles and pistols in that caliber and really like my Ruger 10/22 with a laser on it...dont even have to bring it up to sight, just put the dot where i want it. i use CCI 36 grain hollow points which come out at close to 1300fps whereas some of the cheaper round nose ammo only have muzzle velocities in the 700-800 fps range, so for a LR round, I like the CCI and of course the magnum rounds will be in the 2000fps range with a good bit more energy delivered with the same grain bullet. either way, i personally wouldn't want to be shot with either!

View attachment 134709
Love that UNDERFOLDER. I have never seen one for a 10/22. What brand?

Hate a sidefolder style stock. The closest to a acceptable one, would be the Ruger mini 14 vintage one. The only downside to the AK47 under slung is using larger extended mags. But when folded, they sure are slick, and make a very compact package.

I inherited a vintage Winchester pump (octagonal barrel) in 22 WMR. You have to plan your ammo purchase, as it only seems available every 3 years or so, when they make a production run/batch. Otherwise, you pay what the retail hoarders charge. ($$$)[emoji30]

Last edited:

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy

Hate a sidefolder style stock. The closest to a acceptable one, would be the Ruger mini 14 vintage one. The only downside to the AK47 underslung is using large mags.

I inherited a vintage Winchester pump in 22 wmr. You have to plan your ammo purchase, as it only seems available every 3 years or so, when they make a production run/batch. Otherwise, you pay what the retail hoarders charge. ($$$)[emoji30]
I was in Sportsmans Warehouse in Flagstaff today and they had at least 3K rounds of it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Hate a sidefolder style stock. The closest to a acceptable one, would be the Ruger mini 14 vintage one. The only downside to the AK47 underslung is using large mags.

I inherited a vintage Winchester pump in 22 wmr. You have to plan your ammo purchase, as it only seems available every 3 years or so, when they make a production run/batch. Otherwise, you pay what the retail hoarders charge. ($$$)[emoji30]
You can say that again. For awhile, like 5 years even a box of 22 LR cost upward of $5 a box for the off brand junk. 22 wmr were $15 a box around here if you can even find it at all. I cant even find 30-30's any more, don't know why it would be scarce except in my area where a lot of ranchers carry 30-30 Lever action rifles. I haven't seen a mini 14 in years, no one sells their used ones any more at the gun shows.. I was told the reason the cost of ammo was so high is because of high demand and low production due to the government (DOJ) buying tons of banned ammo that they don't even use like the 9mm along with their normal ammo purchases being extra high. Government orders take president over civilian needs.

That Winchester 22 wrm pump is a valuable piece, a collectors piece for sure. Hang on to it or any 22 wrm rifle you can get your hands on. The manufactures have upgraded all of them to a fine grade rifle now. No more Marlins for $95 rifles to be found.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

Hate a sidefolder style stock. The closest to a acceptable one, would be the Ruger mini 14 vintage one. The only downside to the AK47 under slung is using larger extended mags. But when folded, they sure are slick, and make a very compact package.

I inherited a vintage Winchester pump (octagonal barrel) in 22 WMR. You have to plan your ammo purchase, as it only seems available every 3 years or so, when they make a production run/batch. Otherwise, you pay what the retail hoarders charge. ($$$)[emoji30]
hummm....not sure the brand of the stock. i did these in the 90s, so it has been a while and i dont remember and the stock doesnt have any markings on it. i used to have an FFL and gunsmithing cert, so i was always building stuff for me and my buddies. i was on a stainless steel kick at the time and did these three together...well, the 870 is actually a heavy nickel plating...

i scoped the anaconda because i had tuned it and was making some pretty hot reloads for it and it actually reaches out far enough to justify optics

IMG_4224.JPG

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

1229181456_HDR.jpgThis is as close to North America legal as I can get.

Ruger GSR .308 18.7" with Aimpoint M3 and also (now pictured below) 1-5x24 Weaver Super Slam Dangerous game both in ADM QD mounts

And Ruger Alaskan .375Ruger also with 1-5x24 Weaver Super Slam in Warne QD mounts

Handguns assuming you abide laws (if for no other reason than to avoid a legal battle if discovered) create too many restrictions on free travel, particularly into and out of Canuckistan and our misguided bright blue states.0526191344_HDR.jpg

Now with more GSR

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
View attachment 135345This is as close to North America legal as I can get.

Ruger GSR .308 18.7" with Aimpoint M3 and also (now pictured below) 1-5x24 Weaver Super Slam Dangerous game both in ADM QD mounts

And Ruger Alaskan .375Ruger also with 1-5x24 Weaver Super Slam in Warne QD mounts

Handguns assuming you abide laws (if for no other reason than to avoid a legal battle if discovered) create too many restrictions on free travel, particularly into and out of Canuckistan and our misguided bright blue states.View attachment 135358

Now with more GSR
Very good collection. I love Stainless also but I only have one piece. My collection is shabby in comparison but one of the reasons is because I collect old military firearms, mostly Russian and German. I've given most of my American made firearms to my kids, so most of the kids are well armed. This is my favorite, my wife bought it for me with 3 green stamp books valued at $3.50 each in 1960 when we were very poor.

Attachments

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Very good collection. I love Stainless also but I only have one piece. My collection is shabby in comparison but one of the reasons is because I collect old military firearms, mostly Russian and German. I've given most of my American made firearms to my kids, so most of the kids are well armed. This is my favorite, my wife bought it for me with 3 green stamp books valued at $3.50 each in 1960 when we were very poor.
Looks loved, the entire purpose of those two rifles is to travel and live under what can potentially be inclement weather conditions and minimal care.

165gr Swift A Frame in the .308 and 300gr solids in the . 375R deliver the mail

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the entire purpose of those two rifles is to travel and live under what can potentially be inclement weather conditions and minimal care.
exactly. i was always wood and blued steel until i moved to the swamps of south louisiana and everything started to rust. stainless and composite quickly became my new favorite materials. i had a ruger 40 cal in a nylon holster i took in my boat and forgot it in the console. a few weeks later i saw it and it was trashed. everywhere the holster touched the steel, there was already pitting :disappointed:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

exactly. i was always wood and blued steel until i moved to the swamps of south louisiana and everything started to rust. stainless and composite quickly became my new favorite materials. i had a ruger 40 cal in a nylon holster i took in my boat and forgot it in the console. a few weeks later i saw it and it was trashed. everywhere the holster touched the steel, there was already pitting :disappointed:
Worth mentioning that "stainless" is a generic and more importantly RELATIVE term. Most "stainless" used in firearms will corrode under the right circumstances, salt exposure most particularly.

Ruger does a pretty good job with their alloy, others not so much. Back in the day when Walmart sold handguns I bought a Colt Officers ACP in stainless marked down substantially because it had Mongos thumbprint permanently embossed on the side of the slide.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Alaska. That is a whole different ball game. When I got off the boat at Naknek South dock I was carrying a 12 gauge with 3.5" slugs at the ready, had an AK slung, and a .45 on the hip. Grizzlies up there are like squirrels down here. You will be walking down the road, come around a bend and there are 3 of them.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Worth mentioning that "stainless" is a generic and more importantly RELATIVE term. Most "stainless" used in firearms will corrode under the right circumstances, salt exposure most particularly.

Ruger does a pretty good job with their alloy, others not so much. Back in the day when Walmart sold handguns I bought a Colt Officers ACP in stainless marked down substantially because it had Mongos thumbprint permanently embossed on the side of the slide.
Those finishes that actually penetrate the surface of the material are the best for those environments. Before GLOCK changed their coatings you could sink one in Saltwater for months and the only rusted parts would be the springs.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Looks loved, the entire purpose of those two rifles is to travel and live under what can potentially be inclement weather conditions and minimal care.

165gr Swift A Frame in the .308 and 300gr solids in the . 375R deliver the mail
That's what ss does very well. My first 308 was in 1958 when I rechambered my Japanese rifle to that cartridge from a 6.5.
It was a very good cartridge for speed, accuracy and distance compared to the 6.5.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Those finishes that actually penetrate the surface of the material are the best for those environments. Before GLOCK changed their coatings you could sink one in Saltwater for months and the only rusted parts would be the springs.
True, to a degree.

When Glick used a melonite treatment on their slides and barrels they were very resistant to wear and corrosion, but small parts made of steel were left untreated and would still corrode into oblivion.

Same is true of "stainless" guns, there are always parts subject to corrode.

Moral of the story is nothing is maintenance free when made of steel regardless the alloy.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
True, to a degree.

When Glick used a melonite treatment on their slides and barrels they were very resistant to wear and corrosion, but small parts made of steel were left untreated and would still corrode into oblivion.

Same is true of "stainless" guns, there are always parts subject to corrode.

Moral of the story is nothing is maintenance free when made of steel regardless the alloy.
I've been told that wd40 will render ammo useless do don't clean ammo with wd40. Anyone disagree ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've been told that wd40 will render ammo useless do don't clean ammo with wd40. Anyone disagree ?
I don’t clean my ammo, But just wondering why it would be harmfull to the operation of said ammo. Bullet crimps are air tight so therefore water tight... can wd-40 penetrate the crimps.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Why the hell would you use a petroleum product to clean ammo? If the ammo is that corroded or dirty I get rid of it and get some better ammo.

Reactions: M Rose

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I don’t clean my ammo, But just wondering why it would be harmfull to the operation of said ammo. Bullet crimps are air tight so therefore water tight... can wd-40 penetrate the crimps.
I would be more worried about where the primer/brass meet, if anything could go bad that would be the place.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I clean ammo with a primer strike :)

WD40 is shit for a penetrating oil, so I kind of doubt it. Nonetheless, I treat my ammo like my pecker, clean and dry in a cool dark area until ready for use.