Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
In my area I don’t carry for Bear or Cougar but both are common. I’m sure I could go find a bear this evening with the blackberries being ripe right now. We live in the cascades an hour east of Portland. The place people come to do bad things. My wife works in the courtroom so has first hand knowledge of what goes on in the woods around here. Recently a guy from the Portland area brought his boyfriend here to stab and shoot to death. Couple winters back a man and his son from California jump a guy on the trail and beat his face off his skull with a tree branch and dragged him into the brush thinking he was dead. Even after the guy offered to just let them have his car. Or maybe after 9/11 you heard of the “Portland 7”? A terrorist group training at a local gravel pit just a couple miles down the road from my house.

I’m friends with the Sheriff and most of the local LEO around here. They have always been 100% supportive those that choose to carry.

As for carrying. I’m a firm believer that if you are going to do it, you train. I’m not talking “practice” shooting paper at the pit with your buddies, but seeking out the best instructors you can afford and having someone teach, drill, and critique your skills. It will quickly destroy any John Wick fantasy you may have. I go at least once a year, usually twice, and expend 2-400 rounds a week with my carry gun. I’ll be driving to Arizona this Fall for a week of training and looking at Thunder Ranch with Clint Smith next Summer. An no, it’s not a fear thing. That would be a miserable existence. It’s taking responsibility for your own security when the boys in blue are 30-40 minutes away.
Thanks guy's. I hope you all know that I wouldn't open carry if I didn't know how to use my weapon or have the skills needed. I'm not worried about me as much as I am about those that are more vulnerable than me. The guns in my truck rack are there only when I go hunting or shooting, only a fool would leave them in the truck all the time. Keep in mind I am a rural resident at this point and deal with rural issues, not big city problems thank God.

Reactions: Ghost and darjo242

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Thanks guy's. I hope you all know that I wouldn't open carry if I didn't know how to use my weapon or have the skills needed. I'm not worried about me as much as I am about those that are more vulnerable than me. The guns in my truck rack are there only when I go hunting or shooting, only a fool would leave them in the truck all the time. Keep in mind I am a rural resident at this point and deal with rural issues, not big city problems thank God.
I'm in the same boat. In a rural area of north-eastern AZ that borders 2 reservations. Lots of backwoods country where some sketchy stuff has been known to go on. Besides the 2 legged traffic, lots of bears and other critters around here, so protection is always good to have, even if only used to scare something off. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I try and train when I can and have been around firearms my entire life, so I am used to them and comfortable with them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm in the same boat. In a rural area of north-eastern AZ that borders 2 reservations. Lots of backwoods country where some sketchy stuff has been known to go on. Besides the 2 legged traffic, lots of bears and other critters around here, so protection is always good to have, even if only used to scare something off. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I try and train when I can and have been around firearms my entire life, so I am used to them and comfortable with them.
To many people are under the impression we live in a civil world, not any more. I'm not an aggressive person by nature, but the thought of cowering from skum is not my nature either. I've lived on the border all my life and know the dangers we face unlike those who have never lived with border issues. With animal issues I know I am not at the top of the food chain but I'd rather deal with a bear than a Drug crazed maniac looking for an easy touch, or some idiot walking around in a Wal -Mart store shooting innocent bystanders.

Reactions: darjo242 and Ghost

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

In my area I don’t carry for Bear or Cougar but both are common. I’m sure I could go find a bear this evening with the blackberries being ripe right now. We live in the cascades an hour east of Portland. The place people come to do bad things. My wife works in the courtroom so has first hand knowledge of what goes on in the woods around here. Recently a guy from the Portland area brought his boyfriend here to stab and shoot to death. Couple winters back a man and his son from California jump a guy on the trail and beat his face off his skull with a tree branch and dragged him into the brush thinking he was dead. Even after the guy offered to just let them have his car. Or maybe after 9/11 you heard of the “Portland 7”? A terrorist group training at a local gravel pit just a couple miles down the road from my house.

I’m friends with the Sheriff and most of the local LEO around here. They have always been 100% supportive those that choose to carry.

As for carrying. I’m a firm believer that if you are going to do it, you train. I’m not talking “practice” shooting paper at the pit with your buddies, but seeking out the best instructors you can afford and having someone teach, drill, and critique your skills. It will quickly destroy any John Wick fantasy you may have. I go at least once a year, usually twice, and expend 2-400 rounds a week with my carry gun. I’ll be driving to Arizona this Fall for a week of training and looking at Thunder Ranch with Clint Smith next Summer. An no, it’s not a fear thing. That would be a miserable existence. It’s taking responsibility for your own security when the boys in blue are 30-40 minutes away.
You should look at Steve Fisher, Craig Douglas, Jarod Reston, or John Corria. John is in AZ and the others travel.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

To many people are under the impression we live in a civil world, not any more. I'm not an aggressive person by nature, but the thought of cowering from skum is not my nature either. I've lived on the border all my life and know the dangers we face unlike those who have never lived with border issues. With animal issues I know I am not at the top of the food chain but I'd rather deal with a bear than a Drug crazed maniac looking for an easy touch, or some idiot walking around in a Wal -Mart store shooting innocent bystanders.
Preach Man! An we may be a bit off the rails on what the original post was about but it’s good to know there are people out there that have not become complacent, understand todays reality, and are prepared and willing to deal with what comes. Good on you, and those like you.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I grew up in LA, spent 10 years in Phoneix before moving to the rural area. We haven't lived in a civilized world in a long time. I was also in Boy Scouts growing up and learned to be prepared and it's also something my dad drilled into my head growing up as well. And like yourself, I'd rather deal with a 4 legged critter than some drug-crazed lunatic. The 4 legged ones are much more predictable.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Depressing? which part exactly? I found it informative and thought provoking but hey to each their own you and I can agree to disagree.
This is the most depressing thread ever. So many people scared of their own shadow thinking a gun will make them safer.
soo sad.
Some people prefer to be in charge of their own security and safety. Others are either dependent on others (strangers) for their safety or are resigned to let bad things happen to them and their loved ones.

Someone who is scared of their shadow, falls more into the category of being resigned to bad things happening to them without resistance.
Those who are aware of the reality of life , the pleasures and dangers that come with traveling would be more likely to take control of the safety of themselves and loved ones. That would include being armed. A Civil Right as affirmed by the Second Amendment.
Democrat controlled States go through great efforts to disarm law-abiding citizens while empowering the criminal element. I see no reason to travel to those States where law-abiding citizens rights are being discriminated against.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Some people prefer to be in charge of their own security and safety. Others are either dependent on others (strangers) for their safety or are resigned to let bad things happen to them and their loved ones.

Someone who is scared of their shadow, falls more into the category of being resigned to bad things happening to them without resistance.
Those who are aware of the reality of life , the pleasures and dangers that come with traveling would be more likely to take control of the safety of themselves and loved ones. That would include being armed. A Civil Right as affirmed by the Second Amendment.
Democrat controlled States go through great efforts to disarm law-abiding citizens while empowering the criminal element. I see no reason to travel to those States where law-abiding citizens rights are being discriminated against.
Couldn't have said this any better. Well said!!

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

You should look at Steve Fisher, Craig Douglas, Jarod Reston, or John Corria. John is in AZ and the others travel.
I’ve seen some of their stuff. I don’t usually travel as far as Arizona to train (since it’s literally almost a US border to border drive) but I won a free fighting pistol class with Tactical Response and Arizona was the closest they where coming to Washington this year to teach. Before the Yeager hate train fires up I’ll put it out there that I have trained with him before. He trains people to fight, no frills. He also treats his students like family. No matter how he may come across on YouTube he is one of the most down to earth, sincerely nice guys I’ve met.

Example: Guy rolled into class parking lot a couple minutes late with his wife driving on a flat tire. It pretty much stopped the morning lecture. The guy apologizes and goes to fix the flat so his wife can leave. James calls bull$hit on that and tells the guy “I know what you paid to be here, you need to be training, get your gear and get on the line”

James then proceeded to go pull out the spare, jack it up and swapped the tire for the guys wife while her husband got to training. That’s one example of the kinda guy he is and the type instructors he employs.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Preach Man! An we may be a bit off the rails on what the original post was about but it’s good to know there are people out there that have not become complacent, understand todays reality, and are prepared and willing to deal with what comes. Good on you, and those like you.
Thank you Trever, I know there are many out there who would disagree as I have seen here already. Be it man or beast the dangers are equal when you are in their environment.
Stay safe my friend.

Reactions: Ghost and darjo242

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Thanks for the conformation of my thoughts and feelings. Someone please tell me how we can protect ourselves if we have travel with a weapon unloaded and in the trunk of our cars.
Luckily I live in NM and a car is like your home. You can carry concealed or open, loaded, in your car, which I do. Gun owners are fighting the liberals in this state to keep and bare arms every day. We don't want to go the way of Texas and Colorado, though Texas is working on the situation.

Reactions: mep1811

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I grew up in LA, spent 10 years in Phoneix before moving to the rural area. We haven't lived in a civilized world in a long time. I was also in Boy Scouts growing up and learned to be prepared and it's also something my dad drilled into my head growing up as well. And like yourself, I'd rather deal with a 4 legged critter than some drug-crazed lunatic. The 4 legged ones are much more predictable.
I appreciate you comments. You are ALIVE right because you believe the way you do. It scares me to death to see liberal thinking women joggers out here in the boon docks running half naked down the road fearlessly.
Thank God for the good people in my community for keeping an eye out for these
Unsuspecting young stupid women.

Reactions: darjo242

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I appreciate you comments. You are ALIVE right because you believe the way you do. It scares me to death to see liberal thinking women joggers out here in the boon docks running half naked down the road fearlessly.
Thank God for the good people in my community for keeping an eye out for these
Unsuspecting young stupid women.
Always gotta keep an eye out for other people if you're able to, it's the good and human thing to do.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Always gotta keep an eye out for other people if you're able to, it's the good and human thing to do.
If you guys want to hear something really crazy, get this: I'm a nearly 12 year law enforcement veteran who carries a pistol and 51 rounds of ammo on a daily basis, and I'm not permitted to carry off duty because Canada.

When I'm in the boonies, I almost always have a non restricted firearm with me, though, typically a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If you guys want to hear something really crazy, get this: I'm a nearly 12 year law enforcement veteran who carries a pistol and 51 rounds of ammo on a daily basis, and I'm not permitted to carry off duty because Canada.

When I'm in the boonies, I almost always have a non restricted firearm with me, though, typically a 12 gauge pump shotgun.
Very logical choice. The law dosent make sense to me. I'm glad you have something to defend yourself. My first choice of home and camp protection is a shotgun loaded with buck shot. Thank you for your service and bravery to defend law and order no matter what country you serve.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Beyond crazy. So you are trusted to carry while on the clock but not when you are not? Or is it that you are paid to protect & serve but don’t have the right to defend yourself with a handgun unless it’s allowed by your employer? Bizarre and a bit disturbing:) either way the 12ga is a very affective problem solver.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Beyond crazy. So you are trusted to carry while on the clock but not when you are not? Or is it that you are paid to protect & serve but don’t have the right to defend yourself with a handgun unless it’s allowed by your employer? Bizarre and a bit disturbing:) either way the 12ga is a very affective problem solver.
Yeah, it's all kinds of insane. Don't even get me started on some of the stupid laws we have in Canada about weapons and self defense.

I agree about the shotgun. There are a ton of bears and cougars in my neck of the woods, and when I'm camped in the back country, my Rem 870 sleeps right beside me, empty chamber but 6 00 buck in the tube. It's 6+1 with the safety engaged when I'm up and about. Heh.

Thanks for your support and kind words @Lanlubber. :) It's much appreciated, especially in these times.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Plus, it is a right given to us by our founding fathers when they founded this nation and became independent of royalty.
A gentle correction if you don't mind; it is not a right given to us by our founding fathers, it is a natural right AFFIRMED by our founding fathers...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A gentle correction if you don't mind; it is not a right given to us by our founding fathers, it is a natural right AFFIRMED by our founding fathers...
My father was not a violent man, I asked him as a child what I should do to when I am attacked by someone with the intent to harm me. He quickly said "son you run till you find a bigger stick than his, then you turn and beat the hell out of them with it" !

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL

That is just seriously ridiculous.