Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Man, this kind of parenting is so scary to me.. Much more frightening than the thought of anyone openly carrying any firearm.. Heck, even bazookas! Shielding a child in that way only serves to handicap them in life, IMO. When those kids are no longer being 'protected' by momma burying their head under her wing, they don't know how to appropriately respond to adversity and otherwise 'uncomfortable' situations later in life.

I am of the opinion that this is of the reasons so many people today have an irrational fear of guns in the first place.

Among many problems with the snowflake generation, I guess...

I agree 100%. The scary part one day these same kids we are talking about will be running this country. Thats what scares me the most!!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Every state is different but here in Orygun carrying a hand gun in a pickup is somewhat of a gray area. In a car it needs to be in the trunk or locked glove box. If you have CC it needs to be on your person. I bought a Hornady rapid safe vehicle safe.

Works great and keeps me legal. The law is soft on long guns, unloaded, preferably in a case. I understand about LEO's and hand guns in cars. Makes them nervous.

Reactions: Craig M

Dana L

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mesquite, NV
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Lakeman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7AMR
Dido Ryan Blair's post. I am always armed when in NV, AZ and UT: where I travel the most. I avoid CA at all costs. There is a bill in Congress to make a CCW in one State valid in all States. I hope everyone contacts their Representatives and urges them to support the bill. I already know one NV Congressman (Democrat) doesn't. There is crime and idiots everywhere, especially in Las Vegas. Shootings almost daily. I refuse to be a victim. I've been shooting for 62 years; rifle, pistol, and more recently trap & skeet. I conduct mental and physical drills with my pistol in case I have to defend myself. I've taken training in the practical and legal aspects of carrying concealed. The green dot from my pistol's laser is going to send the bullet exactly where I want it in a panic situation or not!

Reactions: Dusty

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Every state is different but here in Orygun carrying a hand gun in a pickup is somewhat of a gray area. In a car it needs to be in the trunk or locked glove box. If you have CC it needs to be on your person. I bought a Hornady rapid safe vehicle safe.

Works great and keeps me legal. The law is soft on long guns, unloaded, preferably in a case. I understand about LEO's and hand guns in cars. Makes them nervous.
In colorado. Its an open carry state. Chl for anything concealed. This state also allows you to carry a handgun. (Not a rifle. You can have a mag locked but nothing chambered in a rifle. Fish and wild life issues) loaded in your vehicle open or concealed. For any law abiding citizen. I have a website I look at for out of state travel! So i can look up other states gun laws. I avoid the red states. But California is a no go for me.

I love colorado for their gun laws. Even though some citys are pretty liberal its still a good state.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]
It all depends on who you are with, as others have stated. Exploring old mines, a revolver and snake shot might be a good idea. Human predators, maybe a open carry pistol or concealed depending on state law. Vehicle and ATV can be legal one way, and illegal the other, just by switching rides. Know the law, and sometimes it is a good idea to carry a copy for the clueless officer with the state regulation statute on it.

If you are with a mixed group where you have no idea of their thoughts on this....keep it put away. Most will be clueless you have it with you. Backpacking or back country horseback, you can bet someone is packing, visible or not. Unless it is bear or lion country, you don't need a cannon. In the end.....carry wisely and be safe.

Reactions: DVC

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

I have not been able to find it written clearly but have been told that in Kalifornia you may carry OPEN when Hunting and/or Fishing( go figure). With my ccw I carry just about everywhere. As far as Mr. Ranger... don’t ask, don’t tell .Pointed Sticks are
OK, unless you paint them Black then they are “Assault Sticks “ and you have to register them.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I have not been able to find it written clearly but have been told that in Kalifornia you may carry OPEN when Hunting and/or Fishing( go figure). With my ccw I carry just about everywhere. As far as Mr. Ranger... don’t ask, don’t tell .Pointed Sticks are
OK, unless you paint them Black then they are “Assault Sticks “ and you have to register them.
Assault stick ha that is great! I really need to get a ccw. This is another great thread to keep an eye on!

ethan1911

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Strafford Missouri
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Hand
Member #

I always carry a handgun for protection and a bow for hunting and recreation when I’m headed outdoors.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Has anyone heard of anyone getting “popped “ for not having the latest “Ca. Compliant parts on an AR?“
Not knocking the state but do they enforce that kinda of stuff? We have a mag ban on anything over 30 but our county sheriff doesnt care. We can still get parts kits for them or go an hour north and buy em in cheyenne wyo. But furniture wise on a ar like your talking. Do you have to have them checked out if you have them in cali? My chl isnt legal in cali so id never cross the state line. Plus my truck isnt “legal in California “. Just wondering how that went. If it was a big or deal or what not. Im sure anything black that has a rail on it. Is taboo in that state. Im sure if it had a vibration setting it be legal. But an ar comes in all colors so..

Dusty

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seymour TX
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Dunn
Member #

I love Texas. I'm almost always carrying. I also have a LTC (License To Carry). Never had any issues accept for the occasional rattlesnake. A time when I wasn't carrying I was involved in a minor accident and officer was more annoyed that I wasn't. Just practice gun safty and treat everyone they way you want to be treated. Even when they are dicks. We all have bad days and act like a jerk from time to time.

Jacob Silberfarb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I have spoken to a local LEO and read the laws in California. What I have decided to do is get those behind the seats gun racks. They have a storage pouch in them and keep the rifle unloaded but with the mag in the storage pouch above it for easier access.

Can anyone just confirm this would be legal in CA?

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
I have spoken to a local LEO and read the laws in California. What I have decided to do is get those behind the seats gun racks. They have a storage pouch in them and keep the rifle unloaded but with the mag in the storage pouch above it for easier access.

Can anyone just confirm this would be legal in CA?
If it is in a pickup and locked otherwise in the vehicle trunk and locked. I would also put the ammo/clips in a separate locked container.

"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container." https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

I have also found in speaking to LEO, OAG, CCW instructors, Gun Store owners, etc... each have a slightly different interpretation of the laws. I would recommend being more cautious.

Jacob Silberfarb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

If it is in a pickup and locked otherwise in the vehicle trunk and locked. I would also put the ammo/clips in a separate locked container.

"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container." https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

I have also found in speaking to LEO, OAG, CCW instructors, Gun Store owners, etc... each have a slightly different interpretation of the laws. I would recommend being more cautious.
But if its a rifle it can be unlocked, like in the backseat if unloaded?

"Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported."

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
You have a point. My focus has been handguns. However, I thought the weapons had to be in a different part of the vehicle, i.e. trunk. Vehicles w/o a defined trunk are always a little different in how they are handled. I'll see if I can find more specific info on it.
Either way, I'd still lean to the more conservative/cautious side.

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
But if its a rifle it can be unlocked, like in the backseat if unloaded?

"Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported."
You are right.
This sight has some good information https://gunlaw.com/transporting-guns/ that might be helpful.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

From what I see, most people in this stream are out west, but if you go through New York City at all, don't have a gun. All guns require a permit from the city itself (long and hand); even if you have a NY state permit. Just an FYI if you are travelling to the Northeast.

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
Personally, EDC. Have about 4 I rotate through depending on weather and attire. When camping in the mountains I prefer to have a bigger bore rather than smaller, .40 or .45 caliber keeps my mind at ease. Plenty of backup in the truck if need be.

- “The purpose of your pistol is to get you to your rifle.”

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Personally, EDC. Have about 4 I rotate through depending on weather and attire. When camping in the mountains I prefer to have a bigger bore rather than smaller, .40 or .45 caliber keeps my mind at ease. Plenty of backup in the truck if need be.

- “The purpose of your pistol is to get you to your rifle.”
Thats right! Its primary tell you get to your rifle then it becomes secondary

Was told that training to master weapon craft can be your best friend. Train like hell with your edc and heavy boom stick. But know how to run everything else. Because if ive got my pistol and mr bad guy has his ak and a revolver and I run dry taking that ak from him with my pistol. I should and better know how to use it. Ak is a language I cant speak same with a revolver but its like spanish. I know enough to speak bad words in.

I recently picked up 300 black out. Ar pistol with a folding law tactical pistol brace. Whole thing is 10 inches folded up. Put that in a backpack falls under my chl carry 60 rounds with that. And my edc 19 with 32 rounds. Ballistics that 300 black out doesn’t have the track record as the 556. But for a go bag itll do work

Reactions: Jkk