Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

You are asking a very broad question and getting responses from all over.

I have had my California concealed carry permit for over 30 years. To answer your question, yes, I carry when camping and overlanding, but I am careful to know the laws where I am traveling. The truth is that you are probably much more likely to get in trouble for breaking the law than you are likely to need to use a weapon to defend yourself.

So while I know that the previous responses come from well intentioned people, you should not be taking advice on when or how to carry from ANY Internet forum.

If you are concerned about protection out in the wild then certainly a firearm is one tool that you could have at your disposal. But it is far and away the most dangerous tool. You need good training, you need to practice, and you need to know the pertinent laws.
Your post made me think a little bit. So i'm not going to change my response, but add to it, because I believe you are correct.

If someone asks me "do you carry a gun" or "what do you do for self defense", then yall saw my answer. That's a short answer, but that's where I am.

If someone were to ask me "do you think I should carry a gun", then my answer would be right now, no, because you asked the question, which means you don't know anything or much about it.
I've carried for years. I've also taken classes, and I've treated carrying, shooting, and self defense as developable and maintainable skills. Not saying I'm an expert, I'm really not. But I know how to use my gun, I know the laws, and I'm comfortable with my preparedness. That said, the longer I've carried, the more i've noticed some trends in my own approach to self defense.
1) I'm less inclined to pull my gun than I was before (I've never pulled my gun, I'm simply referencing my mindset). If someone wanted my wallet, I'd probably give it to them. I'd much rather deal with getting replacement ID and cards than I would deal with the legal issues from having shot and killed someone. The longer I carry, the more I feel the weight of the decision to pull my gun, if I were ever to do so.
2) My gun makes me feel much less "invincible" than it used to. It's just a tool, only as useful or dangerous as the person holding it. It offers no guarantees, other than the fact that when pulled, we have officially escalated whatever is happening, and there's no turning back from that point.
3) I believe mindset is a MUCH more valuable tool than my gun is. I work hard to develop and maintain a safe, and aware mindset. I listen to talks and podcasts from a lot of military leaders who focus not so much on guns, but survival mindset, and how that approach touches leadership, and decision making. Every day that I spend managing people, I work to develop the skill of talking well with people, and de-escalating situations, and maintaining a consistent mindset, no matter the situation. The longer I carry a gun, the more I've realized mindset affects everything. Your ability to talk down someone confrontational is 100% a survival skill. Being able to assess the situation around you and get out of a bad situation, is also a valuable survival skill. I can do either or both of those things, whether or not I'm carrying a gun. I'm ALWAYS going to go for those skills first, before I decide to go with the deadly force approach.

All of this to say, you can ask questions about whether or not you should carry, but that's not really the right question. You should instead be handling firearms if you haven't before, and learning from professionals who KNOW experientially about survival and self defense. As I've learned those things, I have found my own approach that fits me, and my personality and strengths. Nobody can tell you where you fit into these questions, especially on an internet forum. So if you're asking the question, start learning and going slowly. Don't do what I did. I bought a .38 special, and carried it for a year before I ever even practiced shooting it. I was probably in more danger then than I was before I bought it, because I didn't know what I was doing.

Pappy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington NC.
Member #

f250ben is right a gun is not a fix all. It is a last resort always try to stay out of putting yourself in that position. If you carry get the training and know the law.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I have been in 5 situations wherein I was thankful I had a firearm with me. In three of them the situation was deescalated and the firearm never entered the equation.

There were two instance in which I drew my weapon. The first one involved my wife. I was within my legal rights to use my sidearm in order to protect her - I didn't. Instead I held that person at gun point until the police arrived. In this instance the wife informed the 911 operator that I was armed so that the police were fully aware of it.

The point is - get training and know your local laws! If you live close to another state, and or travel to other states, know their laws as well.

WutHoLeChit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mustang OK
Member #

I conceal almost the time. Everywhere except 30.06 (legally banned cc) areas and government buildings. All day every day at work too.

I’ve considered moving to open carry when out and about camping. Mainly haven’t because of the cost of a new holster and belt setup. It would be much more convenient and comfortable though. Concealed carry is ok for going about your regular day, but I find it incredibly annoying when I’m jumping about being active outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I typically carry open when fishing or outdoors. It’s way more comfortable and practical I feel. I tend to keep my revolver in a paddle holster, stays secure and is still close to my body. If I’m wearing a jacket or fishing shirt/flannel it just disappears anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I always carry my little SIG (P238). For the most part I dont leave WA, ID, or MT so Im good to go with a WA CPL. When Im out hiking or trail running I have a holster that attaches to my backpack strap ( Alien Gear Shapeshift backpack, puts it right about where an old school tanker holster would). I love it, its out of the way and easily accessible. Im far more worried about people than animals so the little 380 is good for me. I dont like making a spectacle of myself, so smaller is better for me.

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I tend to always have one of my sidearms with me when camping, fishing, hiking or hunting. I have only had to draw my civilian weapon one time (involving a human being) and I did not have to utilize it. I have however had to use my weapon while fishing and hiking. I have had a stand off with a couple Mountain Lion and the occasional bear...especially on a hunting trip outside of Valdez, AK. I spent 7 years in the Army so carrying isn't an issue for me as far as whether I should or shouldn't. It is something I have done for many years and it has become second nature to me. To the point where I almost feel vulnerable without it but not for the sake of superiority but for the EDC feel. Where I live and have lived in the last 20 years aside from the Military, here in CA, I have seen plenty of violence, beatings, car jackings etc. and I would much rather be comfortable than always turning over my shoulder to see what is possibly there.

Each person carries for their own reason. If you have to ask questions then it either isn't right for you or you need training. It shouldn't be something that is a burden. It should just offer a slight piece of mind in the event of the necessity of severe protection should an unfortunate circumstance arise. One should always take the non violent path and try to deescalate the situation multiple times in various ways before ever resorting to deadly force. I am not the one who will tell anyone whether or not they should carry. That decision should come from your own mind after having spent some time seriously considering it and after doing some research in the possible outcome of what may happen should you ever need to use your weapon.

Please think smart, act smart, take some classes and training before considering it. After you have done so then if you are comfortable with the entire situation...make your decision.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I conceal daily and have for years. I open carry on my property, especially during hunting season when I patrol for hunters who are poaching my land. The firearm is indeed a last resort. I have drawn twice on human beings and I was fully prepared to fire and kill as needed in those situations. Thankfully the situations deescalated when the BG saw the weapon.

Reactions: Correus and DVC

Teufelmeister

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southeast
Member #

I always carry. Just make sure your legal. There are some apps that give all the state reciprocity privileges. I agree open would be so much easier. But, to many people get so bent out of shape at the mere sight of a weapon. It would be nice if common sense and civility were the norm.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I always carry. Just make sure your legal. There are some apps that give all the state reciprocity privileges. I agree open would be so much easier. But, to many people get so bent out of shape at the mere sight of a weapon. It would be nice if common sense and civility were the norm.
I open carry. It's rare I have someone get bent out of shape over it, but when they do I find it rather amusing.

Reactions: Jkk

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
Great thread! I have been wondering about this lately, so it's nice to see some opinions...

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

So while I know that the previous responses come from well intentioned people, you should not be taking advice on when or how to carry from ANY Internet forum.

You need good training, you need to practice, and you need to know the pertinent laws.
Very well said. Sadly, there's so much bad advice and bad ideas out there regarding firearms. :(

Reactions: Craig M and RedRob

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
open carry here. i never seem to get people that flip out over the sight of a firearm. more people curious and wanting to know where to start on their own journey to feeling comfortable carrying.

but overlanding/camping. i always have one on me.

Reactions: DVC and Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

open carry here. i never seem to get people that flip out over the sight of a firearm. more people curious and wanting to know where to start on their own journey to feeling comfortable carrying.

but overlanding/camping. i always have one on me.
Open carry alot when I am in the woods or biking and hiking. When in my pickup. I have it moved to a holster in the truck. Open carry Not really cus its faster. Concealed is just as fast. Have come across a few situations where them seeing that on my hip made them drop what they were doing and slink off. I have a chl and conceal everywhere i am allowed too. The only time ive had any guff for open carrying in the woods. In 12 years was just after the Parkland shooting. Was snowshoeing and this lady and her husband were snowshoeing with their 12 y/o boy and she didnt say hi or anything like that. First word was omg dont let my son see your gun. I dont want to scare him. I was like how is that gonna work when its on my thigh ma'am? I walked off the trail so they could be pass me and covered it with my hat. She could of acted worse and totally get why she was concerned. The husband was like dont worry about it.. I complied but its no difference if they came across a LEO. I dont like concealing with a pack on cus the pack get in the way. But conceal 90% of the time. Other ten % is when ive got a pack on.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Very well said. Sadly, there's so much bad advice and bad ideas out there regarding firearms. :(
I would take that one step further and apply that standard to pretty much any information you are getting from the web.. We should always make sure we are considering the source, and if we don't know their qualifications to make teh recommendations, do our own due dilligence to independantly verify information before acting on it. I have heard of plenty of people causing irreparable harm to the vehicles, for example, by following bad advice found online.

I also try to remember to always throw in disclaimers when I give suggestions or advice, reminding people of the same. "This is what I do / think, but I'm not a *mechanic / doctor / lawyer / etc* so you should confirm before trying it."

Infact, I just did that very thing a couple of posts ago in another thread (see below)! :p

Without knowing more details about your vehicle, your overall goals and use, and your budget.. A quick and safe shock recommendation would be Bilstein 5100's. They're usually a pretty nice improvement over stock, especially if the stock stuff is worn, and are very reasonably priced. They're pretty nice for a mix between daily driving and mild offroad.

That said, even though they are likely a safe bet, I would do some research (searching this and other forums, and general google searching) for more info on them with your specific application. I've not owned a Silverado (only a Suburban) so

What have you done so far, if anything? Based on the pic, it looks like you're 'leveled' at least. What year is it, 2004? (wait, based on your SN I'm guessing '03, duh..) :p

Good AT tires and a set of better than stock shocks should be a pretty noticeable improvement and a good foundation until you learn more. I wouldn't recommend rushing into buying a bunch of cheap suspension parts as you will probably end up just replacing it with better stuff later. Also, depending on condition, you'd probably notice a lot of benefit from going through and replacing and servicing some of your worn stuff, depending on mileage. Bushings, lube points, etc.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I would take that one step further and apply that standard to pretty much any information you are getting from the web.. We should always make sure we are considering the source, and if we don't know their qualifications to make teh recommendations, do our own due dilligence to independantly verify information before acting on it. I have heard of plenty of people causing irreparable harm to the vehicles, for example, by following bad advice found online.

I also try to remember to always throw in disclaimers when I give suggestions or advice, reminding people of the same. "This is what I do / think, but I'm not a *mechanic / doctor / lawyer / etc* so you should confirm before trying it."
Do you mean that not everything you read on the inter web isnt creditable?

I agree with you. Heard a story one time on live radio.. Deer warning signs. This lady called in to tell
The Dj that someone needs to tell the deer that the deer cross walk signs need to be moved to a safer location.. That these deer are still getting hit. And he goes on to tell her. That those are just warning signs that they are in the area. Its a high traffic area for them. Tried to tell her that it warns you to be careful.

She still wasn’t convinced because of what she saw on the internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

...First word was omg dont let my son see your gun. I dont want to scare him...
Man, this kind of parenting is so scary to me.. Much more frightening than the thought of anyone openly carrying any firearm.. Heck, even bazookas! Shielding a child in that way only serves to handicap them in life, IMO. When those kids are no longer being 'protected' by momma burying their head under her wing, they don't know how to appropriately respond to adversity and otherwise 'uncomfortable' situations later in life.

I am of the opinion that this is of the reasons so many people today have an irrational fear of guns in the first place.

Among many problems with the snowflake generation, I guess...

Last edited:

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Legal weapons and overlanding

Im sure others in this thread have covered this.

I thi

Do you mean that not everything you read on the inter web isnt creditable?

I agree with you. Heard a story one time on live radio.. Deer warning signs. This lady called in to tell
The Dj that someone needs to tell the deer that the deer cross walk signs need to be moved to a safer location.. That these deer are still getting hit. And he goes on to tell her. That those are just warning signs that they are in the area. Its a high traffic area for them. Tried to tell her that it warns you to be careful.

She still wasn’t convinced because of what she saw on the internet.
Haha.. I remember hearing about that.

Critical thinking, sadly, seems to be a dying art. Hell, thinking at all, in some cases, seems to be a dying art! :p

Reactions: Dusty