Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Interesting see all the responses here and the differing views. Not political, just the regional and other country perspective per se.

I carry a 1911 Officer Model .45 - Backpacking, hiking, Search/Rescue, Camping etc it is with me.

Couple stories:

First, about a year ago, we were camping in our tent trailer, my wife and kids, and father in law. We were up around 9pm playing games and at one point, I faintly heard what seemed a growling sound. I didn't acknowledge it as I just figured it was my imagination or just a noise, but a moments later, I heard it again. Only this time, my father in law and I locked eyes as he heard it too. We both said "did you hear that!" I jumped from the table and unholstered from my hip, my father in law jumped up and went to his gun case; locked in the front of the trailer. I ran out of the trailer thinking there was a bear, mountain lion, etc and started to search around the camper with my flashlight and the spots on my Jeep. After about 2 minutes of fumbling with his gun case, my father in law joined me outside to search also. He started looking around in the bushes, brush and forest also. ...after about 5 minutes of this, my wife announced "guys, I think I found the bear!" To our surprise, she had found my then 6 yo son asleep in his bunk, snoring like a bear! We all had a good chuckle about the situation.

Second, a few months back on a camping trip, in the hustle to get out of the house to get a good spot for Labor Day Camping, I forgot my carry weapon in my safe! I went the entire weekend without my .45, and let's just say I did NOT sleep as well as I do when I have it. I tossed at night and slept with my axe next to my head. It was unnerving and made me realize how comforting having a firearm can be. I will not make that mistake again.

Lastly, On a Search and Rescue mock sar mission, it was myself and 4 other searchers (two of which were deputies) and when we came to a break for food/water, one of the members asked "who all is carrying?" It turned into an instant show and tell where everyone pulled their weapons and set them on a stump.....I was happy to see I had the biggest hand cannon of them all. HAHA. Even one of the Deputies announced "My God man, you carry your 1911 locked, cocked and loaded??!!" I told him there isn't any other way!

Guns aren't for everyone, and you have to be conscious, safe and situationally aware when you have them. I am blessed my Sheriff and Police Chief are pro-carry in our county....so many don't have the opportunity in CA.

Carry proud, carry safe!
Well worded. One never knows what threat may come your way and having your "poin-ed stick" available quickly is sometimes important. I'm not trying to be some kind of Bad ass, but when I'm out in the wilderness with my wife in a tent and I hear something that is not right, I will use any and all resources to protect what is mine.

I carry my .45 Beretta at all times, in the city or not for both two legged and 4 legged issues.

When doing light hiking, I carry in my Hill people gear chest pack. It's got a couple of compartments for the few things you need when not hiking far, and the one rear pocket specifically for my gun.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/37/Default.aspx

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Well worded. One never knows what threat may come your way and having your "poin-ed stick" available quickly is sometimes important. I'm not trying to be some kind of Bad ass, but when I'm out in the wilderness with my wife in a tent and I hear something that is not right, I will use any and all resources to protect what is mine.

I carry my .45 Beretta at all times, in the city or not for both two legged and 4 legged issues.

When doing light hiking, I carry in my Hill people gear chest pack. It's got a couple of compartments for the few things you need when not hiking far, and the one rear pocket specifically for my gun.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/37/Default.aspx
I have always wanted a Hill People Gear chest rig, but had to settle for a Condor Admin Pouch on a condor chest harness. It has been a great setup. I had a local guy make me a kydex trigger guard for my 1911's that goes into the pouch too. The guard is tethered to my chest rig on a piece of 550 cord that unclips at the same length the pistol clears the pouch. Works well....except for chest sweat that can make the gun damp at times. Ewwww.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I don't think I could conceal that ^ in my workout shorts or chest rig. HAHA

Nice rifle! I am deficient in the rifle and shotgun category...let alone the mini-gun category!

Reactions: NetDep

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I carry concealed ( AZ CCW) its just part of my life now. I try to switch up my carry methods and training based on clothing. I rarely carry open unless I'm at camp or out shooting.
Sometimes ill keep a rifle and some gear with me if im on a long trip or for shooting. Ive considered getting a rackbone but i dont know how often id use it.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I don't feel like I'm properly trained enough to conceal carry my 9mm H&K VP9, I feel like I would panic or not be able to properly defend myself if the situation arose and I would be putting others at risk. I do keep my pistol within arms reach though in my bedroom, when we lived in Michigan we had an attempted break-in and I'll be damned if someone is going to come into my house like that and put my family or property at risk.

I haven't looked too much into Utah laws yet, but it looks like getting a conceal weapons permit is fairly straightforward, but I don't know what kind of training is out there to help me be more comfortable with a gun. Having it with me when we started exploring the back country would probably make me feel a little better since we'd be outside the range of the authorities. It would also be fun to do some target shooting way out in the bush instead of having to go to a range where I always feel like I make a fool of myself since I'm not a great shot.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I don't feel like I'm properly trained enough to conceal carry my 9mm H&K VP9, I feel like I would panic or not be able to properly defend myself if the situation arose and I would be putting others at risk. I do keep my pistol within arms reach though in my bedroom, when we lived in Michigan we had an attempted break-in and I'll be damned if someone is going to come into my house like that and put my family or property at risk.

I haven't looked too much into Utah laws yet, but it looks like getting a conceal weapons permit is fairly straightforward, but I don't know what kind of training is out there to help me be more comfortable with a gun. Having it with me when we started exploring the back country would probably make me feel a little better since we'd be outside the range of the authorities. It would also be fun to do some target shooting way out in the bush instead of having to go to a range where I always feel like I make a fool of myself since I'm not a great shot.
There is a class required to get a CCW. Its safe handling, clearing and dos and don'ts. Some gun shops have a basic pistol class that has live fire training and also qualifies you to be able to apply for a CCW. I would look around for a place that offers something like that then you can get a few things done at once. Even if you decide on not carrying your 9mm, I would suggest looking for a basic class. Even if there is only one thing you pick up from it. For me it helped with those same worries you have. A little confidence and instruction and a lot of practice and i now have a better handle on things.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Sorry, I am just catching up on threads in which I have watched. Utah is a pretty easy state to carry and for gun laws in general. They even allow open carry and honor a permit issued by any state or county. They do require a weapon familiarity certification, so you will learn a lot in that course. You probably already have this, but this is a helpful site:

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/how-do-i-apply-for-a-concealed-firearm-permit/

Take care!

Reactions: Joey D

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I' been thinking about a new camp gun. I think I'm in love with the Henry Big Boy .44 carbine (16.5" barrel) in steel instead of brass. It weighs in at 6.5# and comes with sling points, so it would be much easier to carry than my brass 20" octagonal barrel.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Sorry, I am just catching up on threads in which I have watched. Utah is a pretty easy state to carry and for gun laws in general. They even allow open carry and honor a permit issued by any state or county. They do require a weapon familiarity certification, so you will learn a lot in that course. You probably already have this, but this is a helpful site:

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/how-do-i-apply-for-a-concealed-firearm-permit/

Take care!
Thanks for the info!

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

We always carry with us when we go out, wife and I are both permitted in Nevada and I also Carry a Utah permit. My "camp gun" as I like to call it, is a Glock 19. Its a good size for around camp, and can be concealed if needed when going in and out of towns. If were going to be way out in the sticks, sometimes I'll throw a rifle in the truck and a few mags.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

We always carry with us when we go out, wife and I are both permitted in Nevada and I also Carry a Utah permit. My "camp gun" as I like to call it, is a Glock 19. Its a good size for around camp, and can be concealed if needed when going in and out of towns. If were going to be way out in the sticks, sometimes I'll throw a rifle in the truck and a few mags.
You can't go wrong with a Glock 19! I have my UT and finally got my MA and NH license to carry. I moved from out west to east and it's been very interesting gun wise - as well as trail wise! [emoji592][emoji902][emoji379]

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've never been a fan of the Glock.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine pistol; rugged, reliable, and affordable. For some reason, though, I just don't like them. Part of the problem is the grip angle, my muscle memory is for a more vertical grip, when I practice drawing and firing quickly I make a somewhat effective anti-aircraft gun.

For about the same money, I've found the CZ P-07 and P-09 to be more comfortable, I also think they have a much better trigger than the Glock and have the advantage of being able to fire double or single action.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine pistol; rugged, reliable, and affordable. For some reason, though, I just don't like them. Part of the problem is the grip angle, my muscle memory is for a more vertical grip, when I practice drawing and firing quickly I make a somewhat effective anti-aircraft gun.

For about the same money, I've found the CZ P-07 and P-09 to be more comfortable, I also think they have a much better trigger than the Glock and have the advantage of being able to fire double or single action.
Good information! [emoji106] thanks.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I myself jumped off the Glock bandwagon recently. Have I G27 gen 4 that I now need to get rid of. I like the gun, feels nice in the hand, but I am not nearly as accurate with it as I am with my new carry pistol. Picked up the Walther PPS M2. Love it. Shoots real nice. I would love to be a glock guy. Most of my friends have glocks, but me and the glocks just don't seem to see eye to eye.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I myself jumped off the Glock bandwagon recently. Have I G27 gen 4 that I now need to get rid of. I like the gun, feels nice in the hand, but I am not nearly as accurate with it as I am with my new carry pistol. Picked up the Walther PPS M2. Love it. Shoots real nice. I would love to be a glock guy. Most of my friends have glocks, but me and the glocks just don't seem to see eye to eye.
Thanks for this comment, as I was wondering about the Walther PPS M2, as it seems to get great reviews. Looks like a great carry pistol.... I'm heading gun shopping tomorrow and will take a look at this one. Right now I have a simple S&W 38 special for a carry, it's really comfortable and reliable, but not accurate at all - though as much as can be expected I guess.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Thanks for this comment, as I was wondering about the Walther PPS M2, as it seems to get great reviews. Looks like a great carry pistol.... I'm heading gun shopping tomorrow and will take a look at this one. Right now I have a simple S&W 38 special for a carry, it's really comfortable and reliable, but not accurate at all - though as much as can be expected I guess.
Nice. In my personal quest, the M&P Shield and the PPS M2 were real close. I shot them both identically, I like the feel of the PPS grip a little better and had no problem concealing both so I went with the PPS. Besides, it makes me feel like James Bond ;) (I know its not a PPK)