Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I don't think your rig will disappoint you in any way. I would have bought the p38 had I found one. I don't think there is much difference between the P38 and my LRD2 other than rear body shape, after all they are sister-brother born. What engine does it have. How much lift, it dosent look lifted. Why do you not like the tires, is it the brand or size ? Anyway I think it's super and a keeper.
Thanks. Yeah, the only difference is that the D2 has a lot more aftermarket support than the P38. [emoji58]

-I've got the 4.6l Bosch V8.

-I've also got the heavy duty springs from Atlantic British that provide about 3 inches when empty. I'll be getting 2" spacers later on.

-Personally, I don't like the tires either. They're General AT2 on the 18 inch hurricane rims that the previous owner out on. I want to get some good All terrains or mud terrains in a larger size.

I've got a lot in stock for the RR as well, tire carrier and Jerry can mount, winch, sliders, larger tires, more lift, and the works.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks. Yeah, the only difference is that the D2 has a lot more aftermarket support than the P38. [emoji58]

-I've got the 4.6l Bosch V8.

-I've also got the heavy duty springs from Atlantic British that provide about 3 inches when empty. I'll be getting 2" spacers later on.

-Personally, I don't like the tires either. They're General AT2 on the 18 inch hurricane rims that the previous owner out on. I want to get some good All terrains or mud terrains in a larger size.

I've got a lot in stock for the RR as well, tire carrier and Jerry can mount, winch, sliders, larger tires, more lift, and the works.
I think I'll be through with buying equipment for my LRD2 with the purchase of sliders, a rear bumper and a decent tent.

My funds are limited so my build is slow but I have my front winch bumper, 2" lift, 1" wheel spacers, 5 new AT BF Goodrich 265/75/16" tires, and a super roof rack built in Africa for Safaris.

The rest of my rig stuff has been obtaining solar panels, 2 batteries, inverter, storage drawers, and a ton of camping needs. At the same time I have been updating my old 13' Scamp trailer with new tires, new electrical and some propane hoses. It's a 1976 model and needing some paint and TLC but it's road worthy and very livable, nothing fancy. All I really need is getting back the use of my legs again so that I can walk more than 10' and finish my rig.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I think I'll be through with buying equipment for my LRD2 with the purchase of sliders, a rear bumper and a decent tent.

My funds are limited so my build is slow but I have my front winch bumper, 2" lift, 1" wheel spacers, 5 new AT BF Goodrich 265/75/16" tires, and a super roof rack built in Africa for Safaris.

The rest of my rig stuff has been obtaining solar panels, 2 batteries, inverter, storage drawers, and a ton of camping needs. At the same time I have been updating my old 13' Scamp trailer with new tires, new electrical and some propane hoses. It's a 1976 model and needing some paint and TLC but it's road worthy and very livable, nothing fancy. All I really need is getting back the use of my legs again so that I can walk more than 10' and finish my rig.
I would like to do a lot of what you talk about, but most of it would have to be DIY because there is a lack of support for P38s. I know of 2 rock sliders companies, and they are both super expensive. No good rear bumpers or front bumpers (there's one good one in Slovokia...).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would like to do a lot of what you talk about, but most of it would have to be DIY because there is a lack of support for P38s. I know of 2 rock sliders companies, and they are both super expensive. No good rear bumpers or front bumpers (there's one good one in Slovokia...).
Nothing economical about anything land rover. I didn't realize until I checked Lucky8 how few parts they carry for the P38. I found out a long time ago that none of the bumper manufactures have reasonable costing bumpers, sliders or any armor for a working mans budget. Best solution is make them yourself and if you cant then find a welder that is not trying to get rich and work with him. I have the skills to do as good a job as the makers of these parts but I don't have the physical ability anymore. I like doing it enough that I use to build things for my friends if they brought me the material. I find that people in the racing community are a bigger group and getting in with them can be very beneficial. If your lucky enough to have a large off road community you will find them to be very helpful with their skills as well. The nice thing is that your rig is very capable without a lot of mods as shown in this video. Good luck

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Nothing economical about anything land rover. I didn't realize until I checked Lucky8 how few parts they carry for the P38. I found out a long time ago that none of the bumper manufactures have reasonable costing bumpers, sliders or any armor for a working mans budget. Best solution is make them yourself and if you cant then find a welder that is not trying to get rich and work with him. I have the skills to do as good a job as the makers of these parts but I don't have the physical ability anymore. I like doing it enough that I use to build things for my friends if they brought me the material. I find that people in the racing community are a bigger group and getting in with them can be very beneficial. If your lucky enough to have a large off road community you will find them to be very helpful with their skills as well. The nice thing is that your rig is very capable without a lot of mods as shown in this video. Good luck

Yep. I'm about to do some welding classes that will help with fabing my own items. Good luck with yours as well!

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Just found this thread today... I've got an '06 LR3 with a little height added via GapTool, 265/70/18 Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DIY hidden winch mount, DIY roof rack, DIY vertically stacked drawers and planning a DIY dual swing out tire carrier when the weather warms up. It currently has about 215k on the clock. We've previously owned an '04 D2 SE7. I've found a TDI manual D1 with steel bumpers and F&R ARB lockers that I would REALLY like to pick up, but haven't convinced my wife yet. I am starting my 5 year plan to buy a new (used) Defender unless I find an old defender or series before then. I think I have a problem...
IMG_7560.jpgIMG_8193.jpgIMG_8323.jpgIMG_8371.jpgIMG_9252.jpg

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Ok need advise from LR3/LR4 that have wired their roof racks up.
What route did you take to wire your lights from the roof to inside?
I was thinking to the back but I don’t want to break the seal and allow water in. But that may be the only way.
If you haven't already figured something out, behind the LH taillight is a rubber plug that you can carefully cut and run wires through. This is where my radio antenna wire is run on my 3.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It started just fine, but runs like crap. Needs a new crank sensor, just have not had the time to put in to it. I miss driving it
How do you determine that it's the crank sensor ? Is that the thing on the rear of the engine on the drivers side ?

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Just found this thread today... I've got an '06 LR3 with a little height added via GapTool, 265/70/18 Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DIY hidden winch mount, DIY roof rack, DIY vertically stacked drawers and planning a DIY dual swing out tire carrier when the weather warms up. It currently has about 215k on the clock. We've previously owned an '04 D2 SE7. I've found a TDI manual D1 with steel bumpers and F&R ARB lockers that I would REALLY like to pick up, but haven't convinced my wife yet. I am starting my 5 year plan to buy a new (used) Defender unless I find an old defender or series before then. I think I have a problem...
View attachment 136874View attachment 136875View attachment 136876View attachment 136877View attachment 136878
Nice LR. Would you suggest one to someone looking to do a lot of overlanding and offroading?

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Nice LR. Would you suggest one to someone looking to do a lot of overlanding and offroading?
I would definitely. The LR3 makes a great daily driver/adventure rig. It's comfortable for my 1/2 hour commute or traveling back to MN and is more than capable for the trails we tackle in our backyard. In my experience it's pretty reliable as well, the engine and trans are pretty good. The age of them now you are likely going to have to do some maintenance on the EAS, but don't let that scare you it's not really that complicated of a system. Some people do a coil conversion, but 1 it's not necessary and 2 takes away from the strength/appeal of this vehicle IMO.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I would definitely. The LR3 makes a great daily driver/adventure rig. It's comfortable for my 1/2 hour commute or traveling back to MN and is more than capable for the trails we tackle in our backyard. In my experience it's pretty reliable as well, the engine and trans are pretty good. The age of them now you are likely going to have to do some maintenance on the EAS, but don't let that scare you it's not really that complicated of a system. Some people do a coil conversion, but 1 it's not necessary and 2 takes away from the strength/appeal of this vehicle IMO.
Neat! My RR had EAS as well. The previous owner went to coil though. [emoji51]

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Smart owner.
I don’t agree with this at all. I don’t know which RR he’s got, maybe it’s an early one, but EAS systems as a whole get an undeserved bad rap. By the time it hit the LR3 and the RRS they had it figured out and reliable. I don’t understand why some people are in such a hurry to get rid of it.