Land Rover Discover 2...buy or don’t buy that is the question?

• HTML tutorial

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
All I know is that I'm not going to pay anyone three times the price just because it is made by an OEM. Auto parts has great warranties but I usually buy replacement parts from NAPA, mostly because they stock them better, at least here they do. I only showed you the web site to show that the prices for one vehicle are not that much different than the other vehicle when comparing the costs.
By the way, your rig looks great and I do like Toyotas for the most part. I cant see it too well and don't know how to see it up close on the thread. If you know how I can see it better please let me know.

Reactions: Correus

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I hear ya. I buy aftermarket when I know the OEM part is not the best, like bearings, brakes, brake lines, etc. Pretty much anything in the drive line from the TC back. I stick to OEM for the engine because why mess with perfection :wink:.

Thanks! It's pretty much stock with bigger tires. I plan to swap out the air bags and do a mild lift this summer. Then maybe skids, bumpers, and a Gobi rack once I have enough equity in my house to take out a HELOC haha. Bigger pictures here.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I don’t think it’s fiction that there are several well documented common points of failure on the early Discos. OEM LR parts are much more expensive than the aftermarket “OE replacement” stuff. I’d be wary of a $40 water pump, especially on a motor notorious for overheating.
My OEM water pump cost less than $60. I purchase OEM as much as possible unless the non OEM has been a proven better performer.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The reason I mentioned low cost water pumps for LRD2 was because I know where a really nice LRD2 is hiding out with a bad water pump. It can be bought for $1000 or less. I'm considering buying it for spare parts or a resale item. If I had found it two weeks sooner it would be my ride but I found mine, bought it and am satisfied.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hear ya. I buy aftermarket when I know the OEM part is not the best, like bearings, brakes, brake lines, etc. Pretty much anything in the drive line from the TC back. I stick to OEM for the engine because why mess with perfection :wink:.

Thanks! It's pretty much stock with bigger tires. I plan to swap out the air bags and do a mild lift this summer. Then maybe skids, bumpers, and a Gobi rack once I have enough equity in my house to take out a HELOC haha. Bigger pictures here.
Oops, didn't mean to call your Lexi a Toyota. That's like calling a Cadillac a Chevy. Are Lexi's made in the USA ? Sorry but I don't know much about any car made outside the USA. or the Lexi brand. All I know is that they are supposed to be great vehicles (that's from a friend who bought a sedan for his wife to stop her from complaining about her Dodge caravan)..

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Oops, didn't mean to call your Lexi a Toyota. That's like calling a Cadillac a Chevy. Are Lexi's made in the USA ? Sorry but I don't know much about any car made outside the USA. or the Lexi brand. All I know is that they are supposed to be great vehicles (that's from a friend who bought a sedan for his wife to stop her from complaining about her Dodge caravan)..
Haha, it has Toyota stamped all over. It’s just a Land Cruiser Prado with lipstick. They’re made in Japan.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Another major issue was the front driveshaft. Non greasable units would fail and take out the transmission case.
I plan to put greasable ujoints on mine when I do the lift kit on the front since you have to remove the front drive shaft anyway. I don't understand why anyone would break a joint and ruin a tranny in the process. Ujoints let you know when they need replacing with vibration and clanking when you shift. Just shows me people don't maintain, no maintaining means break downs !! So why blame the car for mans mistakes.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Pretty sure I still have the D2 Workshop manual as well...if you are interested let me know.
Thanks Dirty Ape, How much would you want for them ? Always nice to have good info before I tear into something unfamiliar. Did you use to have some Land rovers ? What do you have to say about the discussion that is trashing the LRD2 on this thread. It surprises me that everyone seems to want to blame the vehicle for the so called problems with LRD vehicles. I see it as normal wear and tear especially if they are being thrashed severely and under maintained.

Reactions: blackntan

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh man, that rig is soooooo nice! I don't know if mine will ever look as good but I'm tickled to death that you have this sweet rig. I'm good with the chewed up shoes, it won't be the first time or the last.
My son lives up there in Colorado City and in the process of building his 1996 GMC suburban 4x4. I plan to come up that way in early summer to trail with him. Maybe we can get together if your interested. I also plan to go to expo in Falstaff this year. Let me know if your have similar plans.
What lift do you have on your girl (or boy)? What size tire ? What kind of front and rear bumpers do you have? How did you attach your awning, I can't see a roof rack but your roof tent is perfect for your existing factory rack location.
I cant tell if you have sliders, if you do what make are they ?
I call my girl Sheila, do you have a name for yours.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

We absolutely love our 2004. We have had it for about five years. I replaced the front joints with serviceable ones. I installed a top hat motor. Soldered the shuttle cable connection to get rid of the 3 amigos. Super comfortable and quiet. If you want a comparison check the towing capacity of the 2004 Disco (7,700 lbs) against other vehicles. Brakes, Axles, everything is well built.IMG_3042.JPG

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
FWIW, I bought a Toyota ('08 Lexus GX470) because I wanted a relatively maintenance free/bulletproof vehicle. The 4.7 has legendary reliability. Since I bought it a few years ago, I've had to replace two wheel bearings, both exhaust manifolds, the entire exhaust (literally), power steering rack, passenger side driveshaft, both front brake calipers, rear height sensors, rear control arm, clock spring, HVAC fan, and I'm sure I'm missing something. I just put $1,500 worth of brakes on it and I'll be dumping another ~$1k into it for a timing belt and water pump in the summer. Granted, some of those were preventative maintenance and none of those problems would have left me stranded like a head gasket or slipped piston ring in the LR, but my point is older vehicles come with their fair share of maintenance regardless of make.

If you have your heart set on a Disco II and you're aware of the potential problems going in, I say go for it!
I agree that older vehicles need maintenance, the flip side is that newer vehicles cannot have regular things done like transmission fluid changes and things like that. I have a 2015 jeep patriot with the non cvt transmission. I cannot replace the fluid or filter in my transmission and it is now skipping on slow speed accelerations. I will have a fight on my hands now since I am at 80k and my warranty runs out at 100k. I am making an appointment for my rig today. My wifey and I are both in agreement that from now on our rigs will be older and in NO RUST condition and deal with mechanical stuff as it arises. She's keen on an older Cherokee or FS wagoneer, and I am looking at a 3rd gen 4runner, some sort of older suburban (square body is my preference) or a FJ80.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I agree that older vehicles need maintenance, the flip side is that newer vehicles cannot have regular things done like transmission fluid changes and things like that. I have a 2015 jeep patriot with the non cvt transmission. I cannot replace the fluid or filter in my transmission and it is now skipping on slow speed accelerations. I will have a fight on my hands now since I am at 80k and my warranty runs out at 100k. I am making an appointment for my rig today. My wifey and I are both in agreement that from now on our rigs will be older and in NO RUST condition and deal with mechanical stuff as it arises. She's keen on an older Cherokee or FS wagoneer, and I am looking at a 3rd gen 4runner, some sort of older suburban (square body is my preference) or a FJ80.
OLD IS GOLD , COS THEY MAKE EM NOW SO YOU BREAK EM FAST AND THEY KNOW THE WONT LAST

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I agree that older vehicles need maintenance, the flip side is that newer vehicles cannot have regular things done like transmission fluid changes and things like that. I have a 2015 jeep patriot with the non cvt transmission. I cannot replace the fluid or filter in my transmission and it is now skipping on slow speed accelerations. I will have a fight on my hands now since I am at 80k and my warranty runs out at 100k. I am making an appointment for my rig today.
My GX is the same way. Toyota went to a “sealed” transmission around 2005. That doesn’t mean you can’t change the fluid. There has to be a drain and fill plug on the transmission. Hard part is figuring out how. For me, it’s easiest to let Toyota do it for about $350 because it’s a royal PIA to do DIY. You can always drop the pan if you really want to change it yourself.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hear you, my only local mechanic is going out of business because he dosent have the money or the tools to do work on newer cars.
It takes specialized equipment and education to work on the new stuff.
The name of the game is to get rid of all shady tree guys and force us to go to dealerships. I experienced this first hand last year when the alternator went out on my 2008 For Escape with 122000 miles. I took it to a dealership, they gave me a price of almost $600 for parts and labor. Being a smart A-- I went to the parts store to buy an alternator with the thought of doing the work myself. I really got a surprise when the price was no different than the Ford dealer. I opened up the Bonnet to see if I could change it myself (I'm 84), once open I couldn't even find the dang thing. I didn't have a manual to find it so I took it to a reputable mechanic in town, he charged me over $300 for the labor. What made it worse for me was that the week before the alternator on my old Dodge truck went out. I purchased a life time warranty alternator from Auto Zone for under $80. I put it on myself in 20 minutes and it was fixed. So the surprise I got about the cost of the Ford alternator was truly shocking when told I needed to pay $600 + for the Ford. By the way, the ford alternator was under the car, under some shields that had to be removed and also needed a new serpentine belt that God knows where that goes.

Reactions: Arailt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
We absolutely love our 2004. We have had it for about five years. I replaced the front joints with serviceable ones. I installed a top hat motor. Soldered the shuttle cable connection to get rid of the 3 amigos. Super comfortable and quiet. If you want a comparison check the towing capacity of the 2004 Disco (7,700 lbs) against other vehicles. Brakes, Axles, everything is well built.View attachment 89343
Great Rig Mark. I'd like to know more about what you did about the 3 amigo's. I think I may have a problem because a bunch of lights are lit up on my dash panel. The previous owner said not to worry, but I do. Everything seems to work okay but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Iam glad ive lived when i have lived we are living at the begining of the new age order , The internal combustion engine has a bleak future , Trucks of the simplisty of the seriers LR 's and defenders , early discos were parts are interchangeable are numberd emissions and the great globel warming lie propergated by the globilists will see the travel modes of future. Civilisation made more controllable hence taxable ENJOY YOUR. OLD UNREALIBLE GAS GUZZERLING
DINOSARS WHILE WE CAN