Land Rover Discover 2...buy or don’t buy that is the question?

• HTML tutorial

RevelOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Foster City, Ca
Member #

OK OverlandBound Community here’s the question... I’ve always wanted a Land Rover Discovery 2 and I’m looking for an additional vehicle so I don’t drive my Jeep so much and put all the daily driving miles on my Jeep. So the sensible person in me says buy a Mazda or Toyota small hatchback with good gas mileage and blah blah blah... but the overlander in me says buy the one rig you always wanted even though historically it’s a maintenance fiasco. Yes I know about the 3-amigos on the dash and the all aluminum engine that needs head gaskets and the drive shafts that let go destroying everything in its path, and I know that 2002 and 2004 where there best years, etc...etc... but used ones are fairly cheap and I’ve always wanted one, but at the same time I’m thinking this could be a horrible idea...? Thoughts?!

Last edited:

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I think you mean Discovery 2?

This is a Series 2

Disco 2s have overheating and head gasket issues, among other things. I understand they're fairly simple to work on though. I've wanted one for the longest time, but I don't have the wrench time.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

FWIW, I bought a Toyota ('08 Lexus GX470) because I wanted a relatively maintenance free/bulletproof vehicle. The 4.7 has legendary reliability. Since I bought it a few years ago, I've had to replace two wheel bearings, both exhaust manifolds, the entire exhaust (literally), power steering rack, passenger side driveshaft, both front brake calipers, rear height sensors, rear control arm, clock spring, HVAC fan, and I'm sure I'm missing something. I just put $1,500 worth of brakes on it and I'll be dumping another ~$1k into it for a timing belt and water pump in the summer. Granted, some of those were preventative maintenance and none of those problems would have left me stranded like a head gasket or slipped piston ring in the LR, but my point is older vehicles come with their fair share of maintenance regardless of make.

If you have your heart set on a Disco II and you're aware of the potential problems going in, I say go for it!

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

They get a bad rap - I've owned a few of them, super comfortable, good space and amenities. The ass hangs out a bit but solid off road. I would go 2004 to get the center diff lock, it does make a noticeable difference. I also had a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Tru Trac upfront in one and it was amazing. Keep it out of the red or yes, the head gaskets will be an issue. I'd look for one thats had them done already. Also, keep a sharp eye on driveshafts - the u-joints can go and then your transmission is wasted by the impact. Ask me how I know! You can do most of the work yourself, get a 3 Amigos reset module from RSW Solutions and go to it...

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I think you mean Discovery 2?

This is a Series 2

Disco 2s have overheating and head gasket issues, among other things. I understand they're fairly simple to work on though. I've wanted one for the longest time, but I don't have the wrench time.

I have one of those. I think the one pictured is actually a SIIa SW. I have the deluxe package.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
OK OverlandBound Community here’s the question... I’ve always wanted a Land Rover Discovery 2 and I’m looking for an additional vehicle so I don’t drive my Jeep so much and put all the daily driving miles on my Jeep. So the sensible person in me says buy a Mazda or Toyota small hatchback with good gas mileage and blah blah blah... but the overlander in me says buy the one rig you always wanted even though historically it’s a maintenance fiasco. Yes I know about the 3-amigos on the dash and the all aluminum engine that needs head gaskets and the drive shafts that let go destroying everything in its path, and I know that 2002 and 2004 where there best years, etc...etc... but used ones are fairly cheap and I’ve always wanted one, but at the same time I’m thinking this could be a horrible idea...? Thoughts?!
I JUST PURCHASED ONE.. Every vehicle has some quirks. I know many guys who have spent thousands of dollars buy and change out both front and rear differentials on their Jeeps. The same goes for drive shafts, universal joints, radiators etc. I don't know any auto that wont break down when it is not maintained or mistreated. Mine is a 2000 D2 and I am happy to own it. I found another in a wrecking yard in Albuq. last week that could be bought for $1000 or less. The only thing wrong with it was a bum water pump. How many times I have changed water pumps on my Fords, Chivvies, and Dodges. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it for parts if nothing else. Anyone who wants the phone number for it just let me know, before I go back (220 miles) to get it. 88731

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I absolutely love my D2! View attachment 88730
I'm drooling all over it. Did you have the bumper built or is it sold by someone. I designed something similar to it that I plan on having my local welder build. Do you have side rock sliders ? (is there any rocks in Michigan ? ) :blush: I'm planning a 3" lucky8 spring lift kit and some 33" tires, what you think Matt ?

MattAnderson1986

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Elkhart County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I'm drooling all over it. Did you have the bumper built or is it sold by someone. I designed something similar to it that I plan on having my local welder build. Do you have side rock sliders ? (is there any rocks in Michigan ? ) :blush: I'm planning a 3" lucky8 spring lift kit and some 33" tires, what you think Matt ?
Front bumper is rovertyme aka rte fab I have matching sliders and rear bumper. Lift is a 3 inch with radius arms.
Plan on regearing, I run 4:11s with tru tracs front and rear.
Tires are 285/75/16 I'm due for a set.

Reactions: Arailt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It's a horrible idea from a practical standpoint, but if you really love them (they are very, very cool and incredibly capable) and you know what you're getting yourself into, then go for it! Personally, I'm not rich enough to own a Disco lol
When I see people spend $1500 on roof racks, $500 to $700 on bumpers each, Expensive Refrigerators, roof top tents, $1200 to $2000 on tires and thousands of dollars on electric components , lights and communication systems, A blown gasket doesn't bother me at all. Every body breaks something if we use them. A lot of us start with older vehicles that have not been well maintained by previous buyers. The idea to me is to start with something cheap and build on it. Not buy a $30,000 rig, add another $10,000 in off road equipment an then go tripping. I'm not knocking your thoughts but the Land Rover type vehicle is a great idea from a practical point of view as I view it. To each his own I say. I'll stay with my LDR2 I think. I have spent $2000 on minor parts (no labor cost) for my Dodge Truck in the past 1000 miles of driving which has taken me 12 years to drive. Now that was a mistake and the truck was a real horrible idea for me, but I love it just the same.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Front bumper is rovertyme aka rte fab I have matching sliders and rear bumper. Lift is a 3 inch with radius arms.
Plan on regearing, I run 4:11s with tru tracs front and rear.
Tires are 285/75/16 I'm due for a set.
Why did you feel the need for new radius arm's ? Lucky8 told me they are not needed. The 4:11's sound good to me but I wont change that for now. (I don't know what the stock gear is on my LDR2) Is a tru track a locker axel ? Is it air lock or manual automatic operation. I had a 67 Bronco I built years ago that came with 4:10's and Detroit locker from factory. I never changed anything and I went anywhere I wanted and got back home, the name of the game. What year model is your rig ? Have you had any heating problems. I think it is an overblown issue and probably caused by bad maintenance or severe usage as I have stated in other threads. At my age I don't abuse anything knowing that us old folks crack easily...

MattAnderson1986

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Why did you feel the need for new radius arm's ? Lucky8 told me they are not needed. The 4:11's sound good to me but I wont change that for now. (I don't know what the stock gear is on my LDR2) Is a tru track a locker axel ? Is it air lock or manual automatic operation. I had a 67 Bronco I built years ago that came with 4:10's and Detroit locker from factory. I never changed anything and I went anywhere I wanted and got back home, the name of the game. What year model is your rig ? Have you had any heating problems. I think it is an overblown issue and probably caused by bad maintenance or severe usage as I have stated in other threads. At my age I don't abuse anything knowing that us old folks crack easily...
Radius arms are not necessary but make a difference.
Stock is 3:54?
The 4:11 work well with 33s
Tru tracks are a limited slip not a locker
Ive had my head gaskets replaced but they are actually easy to work on, it's a push rod v8
I have a 2001 4.0

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you Matt. What is the difference between a tru-track and the original equipment ? What kind of differential is a stock unit ? Mine seems to work okay as is. I watched a lot of videos that compare stock versus altered (locked) and the stock vehicles hold their own against all comers with the exception of extreme situations that I would never find myself being in. Do you have any problems with the turning radius with tru trackers ? Is that what is better with your new radius bars you bought ? Your winch is mounted high. Which is better, lower or high like yours ? I know we don't want to be dragging it over obstacles but I was thinking of mounting mine just below the grill and under it rather than out front for a better approach angle. What do you think ? Can you cruse at 70 mph with the 4:11's and 33" tires ? What is your rpm at that speed ? Did you do anything extra to help cool the engine after your overhaul. I'm told the snorkel does more for cooling and breathing than water protection so It will be on my list of must haves even before the bumper changes. I see you don't have a bunch of lights blocking your grill (air flow) area. I plan to spread mine farther apart to give as much open area as possible to the radiator. I had hood a scoop on my Bronco and I'm thinking that might be a good idea since the newer Land rovers also added the hood scoop from the factory. G'day friend Matt

MattAnderson1986

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I have no problems turning with the tru tracs, open differentials are fine depending on the situations you get into. My bumper requires the grille to be cut so it does not overhang or sit low, it also has a front skid. The radius arms correct the caster due to the lift. With the 4:11 gears it cruises on the highway like it did stock. I have done nothing for cooling besides general maintenance and I use water wetter addative in all my vehicles. The snorkel keeps my air filters cleaner, without it dust cloged them up quickly. I've considered hood louvers to help lower under hood temps as I have done in the past with other vehicles. I have done alot of modification but I am also pretty hard on them!

IMG_20180927_215747_534.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
One last question. What temperature range thermostat do you use in your LRD2 ? I'm told to use a 180 degree which is what I use in every car I own based on my altitude of 5 to 6000 ft.

MattAnderson1986

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

One last question. What temperature range thermostat do you use in your LRD2 ? I'm told to use a 180 degree which is what I use in every car I own based on my altitude of 5 to 6000 ft.
Good question! I have an OEM thermostat I believe it's a 190 It gets cold here so i havent done any low temp thermostats.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good question! I have an OEM thermostat I believe it's a 190 It gets cold here so i havent done any low temp thermostats.
Okay thanks. I saw somewhere that the OEM was a 212 degree thermostat and thought that might be the reason for the hot running LRD's.
Temperatures out here in the south west range from the 90's to 120 degrees in spring to fall weather, depending on which desert your in.
A good idea I think may be consulting with a Radiator repair shop. I think another wise choice might be to install a 3 core radiator in lieu of
the stock 2 core. Anyway I'm going to concentrate on the heating problem everyone claims LRD's are supposed to be famous for having.
FYI early Ford Mustangs were also famous for overheating and blown head gaskets too, so I don't think it's such a big deal.