Land Rover Discover 2...buy or don’t buy that is the question?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Another major issue was the front driveshaft. Non greasable units would fail and take out the transmission case.
Good point, I didn't know about the lack of zerts in the u-joints. Easy fix and safety loop might be called for in the case of slinging drive shafts.
Since I have to remove the front drive shaft for the 3" lift I will replace the u-joints to be safe. Thanks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
OK OverlandBound Community here’s the question... I’ve always wanted a Land Rover Discovery 2 and I’m looking for an additional vehicle so I don’t drive my Jeep so much and put all the daily driving miles on my Jeep. So the sensible person in me says buy a Mazda or Toyota small hatchback with good gas mileage and blah blah blah... but the overlander in me says buy the one rig you always wanted even though historically it’s a maintenance fiasco. Yes I know about the 3-amigos on the dash and the all aluminum engine that needs head gaskets and the drive shafts that let go destroying everything in its path, and I know that 2002 and 2004 where there best years, etc...etc... but used ones are fairly cheap and I’ve always wanted one, but at the same time I’m thinking this could be a horrible idea...? Thoughts?!
Okay guy's, this is one for (or against ) the Toyota lovers who hate Land Rovers Discovery 2 vehicles.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Okay guy's, this is one for (or against ) the Toyota lovers who hate Land Rovers Discovery 2 vehicles.
Haha. If you follow Ronny, you know that he pushes his Cruiser pretty hard on a regular basis. Also, to be fair, that wasn't a Toyota shaft. It was a much stronger aftermarket chromoly shaft and it broke before the factory diff did. I'd say that's a W for Toyota.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Haha. If you follow Ronny, you know that he pushes his Cruiser pretty hard on a regular basis. Also, to be fair, that wasn't a Toyota shaft. It was a much stronger aftermarket chromoly shaft and it broke before the factory diff did. I'd say that's a W for Toyota.
I think I heard the guy say he replaced a broken Toyota axel with a stronger chrome molly axel. I think he said he had broken 7 axels but I may have heard that on a different video. Heck, I've broken axels on almost every vehicle I've owned and I may break one on my LDR2 also. That's the breaks HUH ?:sunglasses:

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

He broke one Toyota axle prior the the chromoly shaft breaking, I think. It was in one of his earlier videos. He said he was only the 7th person to break a chromoly shaft from that particular manufacturer, of 1400 sold I believe.

His trip episodes are really great. He and his pals do thousands of miles across Australia, really pushing their Toyotas to the limit. Easily the best overland/4x4 content out there.

He did a “Modified” episode on a Disco I.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The discovery 2 can be picked up pretty cheap these days but for good reason. There are major problems with the drivetrain of this vehicle especially transmission related as well as head gasket issues. There are a few good ones out there but you really have to go through them to make sure you dont run into any problems.

The higher cost of maintenance is also something to factor in. Both labor and parts are going to cost more for a rover.

If you have the time and money and happen to find a good running rig then by all means go for it but be aware of common issues with these.

Reactions: 702FJC and Arailt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
He broke one Toyota axle prior the the chromoly shaft breaking, I think. It was in one of his earlier videos. He said he was only the 7th person to break a chromoly shaft from that particular manufacturer, of 1400 sold I believe.

His trip episodes are really great. He and his pals do thousands of miles across Australia, really pushing their Toyotas to the limit. Easily the best overland/4x4 content out there.

He did a “Modified” episode on a Disco I.
I have to agree from what I have watched. Thx for the correction.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The discovery 2 can be picked up pretty cheap these days but for good reason. There are major problems with the drivetrain of this vehicle especially transmission related as well as head gasket issues. There are a few good ones out there but you really have to go through them to make sure you dont run into any problems.

The higher cost of maintenance is also something to factor in. Both labor and parts are going to cost more for a rover.

If you have the time and money and happen to find a good running rig then by all means go for it but be aware of common issues with these.
All off road rigs require deep pockets from what I know about it. It all really boils down to how much of the work you can and will do yourself. It's a labor of love for the sport ??? , And the vehicle.

Reactions: Arailt

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

All off road rigs require deep pockets from what I know about it. It all really boils down to how much of the work you can and will do yourself. It's a labor of love for the sport ??? , And the vehicle.
Not all rigs require deep pockets. I have about 5 grand into mine including aftermarket parts and vehicle cost and it will go anywhere in the country.

With a little research you can see land rovers are a significantly higher cost to maintain (even if you do the work yourself) than most domestic vehicles. Ive built multiple rigs in my lifetime and know a ford or chevy costs a whole lot less to work on and parts are a whole lot easier to find. This is a fact.

Reactions: 702FJC

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
They get a bad rap - I've owned a few of them, super comfortable, good space and amenities. The ass hangs out a bit but solid off road. I would go 2004 to get the center diff lock, it does make a noticeable difference. I also had a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Tru Trac upfront in one and it was amazing. Keep it out of the red or yes, the head gaskets will be an issue. I'd look for one thats had them done already. Also, keep a sharp eye on driveshafts - the u-joints can go and then your transmission is wasted by the impact. Ask me how I know! You can do most of the work yourself, get a 3 Amigos reset module from RSW Solutions and go to it...
Nothing better than hearing from a voice of experience. Youse a cool guy.

Reactions: Dirty Ape

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have far less that 5 grand into my d2, I have done the work myself and maintenance cost is no greater than my wifes jku. I switched from a fzj80 to the d2 both had the 3rd row which I need. I find the d2 simple for me although I have a bare bones no ace or air bags.
View attachment 88973
Matt, did you overhaul your engine yourself ? Is it a V8 or the straight line little job that I love ! Are you saying you have a total cost of around $5000 or is that what you put into it after you purchased it. I'm thinking around $5000 for upgrades on my $2000 D2. I don't see how anyone can get by any cheaper than that for any off road rig modifications regardless of the make or model ! Will you be adding a roof rack for your touring ? I think I will attempt to build my own, they are very expensive, what isn't these days. What did you have to give for the steel wheels. I bought a set for my Dodge Ram 2500 (8 hole) and paid well over $100 each with lug nuts and caps. That was 6-7 years ago though. I have yet to install them because I need a 2" life on the front for the 315 70R 16 Pro comp tires I also purchased. I thought I would do that when I wear out the tires I have on it now that are a bit smaller. Did you relocate the window washer container or just do away with it ? Sorry for all the questions but I don't know any other way to learn the answers and you seem to have most of the answers for me.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not all rigs require deep pockets. I have about 5 grand into mine including aftermarket parts and vehicle cost and it will go anywhere in the country.

With a little research you can see land rovers are a significantly higher cost to maintain (even if you do the work yourself) than most domestic vehicles. Ive built multiple rigs in my lifetime and know a ford or chevy costs a whole lot less to work on and parts are a whole lot easier to find. This is a fact.
No argument there about parts cost or availability. I don't need to spend $5000 on my $2000 LDR2 to go anywhere, it already does. I wouldn't go rock crawling with it, do you with yours ? If I spend $5000 on my rig it will be to protect it from the elements of serious off roading and enhance it's already great ability, not for just trail riding. My 4 wheeling club require $5000 worth of equipment to even go on the back roads with them. That does take deep pockets, not the vehicle itself. So it all depends on what you use the vehicle for and how it is abused.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Bull. I own a Series Land Rover, there has been no "significantly" higher cost to maintain it than any other rig I've owned. My wife's 20 year old Infinite costs more to maintain.

I don't know where you're getting your info about it being hard to get parts either. I have as yet to run across a repair where I couldn't get the parts. Don't even try to tell me "I can go to O'Reilly's, or Autozone, and get the parts" - Bull. I have been to those places to get parts for domestic vehicles, parts you'd think they'd have on hand; most of the time I'm told "we can have it here by tomorrow, or a couple of days". I've had harder times getting parts for the wife's car as well as my mother's Dodge and my dad's Chevy. The parts for those have cost significantly more than I've paid for my Rover's parts.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

There are well documented issues with this model including extensive repair costs for vehicles of this age and thats what the OP was asking. Arguing opinions is pointless when facts clearly support this. Jd power, Car and driver, and other reputable agencies have published reports on the reliability and maintenance issues with these vehicles.

If you want a discovery and are willing to pay for it then why not buy one?

Can you buy one and maintain it? Sure... but why ask for facts and then ignore them?

Back to being helpful... Check this link out for things to look for if you decide to buy one.

Reactions: Arailt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Bull. I own a Series Land Rover, there has been no "significantly" higher cost to maintain it than any other rig I've owned. My wife's 20 year old Infinite costs more to maintain.

I don't know where you're getting your info about it being hard to get parts either. I have as yet to run across a repair where I couldn't get the parts. Don't even try to tell me "I can go to O'Reilly's, or Autozone, and get the parts" - Bull. I have been to those places to get parts for domestic vehicles, parts you'd think they'd have on hand; most of the time I'm told "we can have it here by tomorrow, or a couple of days". I've had harder times getting parts for the wife's car as well as my mother's Dodge and my dad's Chevy. The parts for those have cost significantly more than I've paid for my Rover's parts.

Hurray, it's nice to know someone knows the facts and ignores the fiction about Land Rovers. I checked out a water pump for a Discovery 2 at Discount auto and found it for $46.00 (in stock too) ! As far as being hard to work on I could change out two water pumps on a LRD2 in the same time it use to take me to change out the water pumps on my Ford mustangs. Not saying all things are easy but from what I know about the broken parts on LR's, Most are because of poor maintenance or careless usage and disregard of the vehicles ability. They ALL break, ALL are hard to fix and ALL are expensive. Funny thing is I don't hear anyone complaining about paying $700 for a refrigerator when a $30 cooler will do nicely, or a $1500 roof tent when a $80 sportsman Guide tent will do in most cases.
Heads up my friend..

Reactions: Correus

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

You must not have had any work done to your car in awhile. I have one of these so called cheap cars to work on. It's a 2008 Ford escape. Recently the alternator went out on it and neither Ford or any parts store had one in stock. I ordered it from NAPA (it was closest) and the cost was nearly $300. I'm too old to be climbing under any of the new cars that have the alternators on the bottom of the car, not the top. I paid another $300 in labor to have it put on. A BIG sign at my Ford dealer say's "Labor automobiles $110 an hour, 4x4s $145 an hour". They are All ripping us off regardless of the label. Land Rover dealers will rip you off but so will Cadillac, Mercedes, and Toyota and other dealers. My Dodge dealer cant even overhaul my tranny, they have all become parts replacers, not mechanics.
If you really read that article about LRD2 (should you buy one), the guy who made the video didn't spend the $8000 the repair people wanted. He is driving it and even uses it for a recovery rig up in Colorado. He say's it's one the best rig's he has ever owned. That's the facts...

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Hurray, it's nice to know someone knows the facts and ignores the fiction about Land Rovers.
I don’t think it’s fiction that there are several well documented common points of failure on the early Discos. OEM LR parts are much more expensive than the aftermarket “OE replacement” stuff. I’d be wary of a $40 water pump, especially on a motor notorious for overheating.

Reactions: JungleSkunk

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don’t think it’s fiction that there are several well documented common points of failure on the early Discos. OEM LR parts are much more expensive than the aftermarket “OE replacement” stuff. I’d be wary of a $40 water pump, especially on a motor notorious for overheating.
Which one would you buy..
or this for a Toyota 4 runner.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
Both are listed as new pumps and have lifetime guarantees. I looked at the OEM land rover water pumps and they were similar in cost but with out a choice of mfg's.