Krazy Beaver Super Shovel

• HTML tutorial

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
TL:DR The Super Shovel is a little better for digging in some media, way better for digging in others, far more useful for zombie killing and general destruction and far more bad ass looking than a standard shovel. Skip to the end for a video demo and comparison to a regular shovel.

If you’ve never spend an afternoon digging a truck out of mud, sand or snow, you might be wondering why so many 4x4s have shovels clipped to the roof or bumper. It might seem like just another dirtbag gewgaw, hood ornament or bumper sticker. Well, as most of us know when you need a shovel nothing else will do. Not a helmet, not a snowboard, not a Maxtrax (what they heck is THAT?!?!?!). Well I submit to you, friends that the Super Shovel, by Krazy Beaver is the one thing that may be better a little bit than a shovel for digging and FAR better for general destruction.

The Krazy Beaver Super Shovel is burly. The spiked tip can be used as a pick to break up and lever out rocks. Since it’s made of 13 gage, heat-treated steel, it is much stronger than a typical shovel. It is effective too. For digging in hard, dry rocky dirt the design of the Krazy Beaver Shovel is much more effective. Still, I wouldn’t recommend digging in that kind of environment…

The handle is crimped on to the shovel blade much the same way any regular shovel would be. My True Temper shovel is made with the same technique and has weathered the last 15 years of landscaping abuse perfectly. I don’t think you can break one of these. The D-grip is plastic and attached with a removable pin. Maybe they think that could break. Not sure, but I don’t think there are any other attachment options. Some hand gun locks will fit through the pin hole and can be used to secure the shovel to your truck.

All in all is seems like a good investment in both an intrenching and breaching tool. Krazy Beaver has a number of videos on their YouTube channel where the shovel performs difficult, if unlikely, tasks. This thing can do some DAMAGE!

You can get the shovel from Amazon or Direct from Krazy Beaver for $79 shipped. The little shovel cover is extra.

Watch the video below for a demo and comparison to a regular shovel.

[video=youtube;Hre69YkpUz4][/video]

-Mike

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We bought one a couple weeks ago during their Instagram sale. Still too pricy, but we needed a new spade anyway due to one breaking in the garden. The material is significantly thicker than any other shovel we have, and should last a long time. Deb gardens quite a bit, and that's where it will be used most of the time. I figure the teeth should be great on roots.

As seen in the above photo, ours lost the paint on the center tooth, too, the very first time it went into the ground. it was loamy sand, too, not rocky clay. Sorta poor paint, but none of our other shovels have any paint on them, so I didn't expect it to last.

Overpriced? Yea, probably. But it sure has utility, and looks like it is ready for anything.

Reactions: RainGoat

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I have one and I sell them through my store. Sold out every time, the Handel is removable because the top portion of the shaft is hollow so you can store small things like hook&lines, water proof matches ect it's as much a shovel as it is a piece of survival equipment or for search and rescue.
That makes sense. Mayne I'll come up with a cache of stuff to cram in there and forget about.

-M

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
This got ZERO love on Expedition Portal. I posted it there and all the comments were about how gimmicky it is and useless, would puncture tires, etc. Also that I don't know much about digging.

-M

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

Maybe they never used it? The issue with certain groups of people is that they knock it first without knowing how or if it works. I saw this thing when it first came out and I knew I had to have it. It's functional and it looks cool. Haters gonna hate.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Maybe they never used it? The issue with certain groups of people is that they knock it first without knowing how or if it works. I saw this thing when it first came out and I knew I had to have it. It's functional and it looks cool. Haters gonna hate.
I was skeptical. But then I got an idea for a video...

-M

Reactions: Steve

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

I had a great shovel I bought at homedepot a few years ago for $15 but after sitting In the sun and being used numerous times the blade was completely rusted and the wood had cracks. My wife surprised me at the overland expo with a new shovel (murderspork) she had seen me looking at it and decided to make an impromptu purchase and surprise me with it. She didn't tell me how much she paid but did tell me she haggled for a good price. The shovel has amazed me. It cuts through the ground like butter and I have even pulled it out at home when the ground was to hard for a traditional shovel. I don't know if its worth the money but its definitely a great tool to have and built to take a beating.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
image.jpeg

Sure it's pricey but I've never had an issue paying extra for a high quality anything. It's also a ridiculous conversation starter because it truly looks badass and the nickname is fitting. If I could add anything to my murderspork it would be the ability to remove the D handle on the end and add another fiberglass section for the times you need a longer handle.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
View attachment 7330

Sure it's pricey but I've never had an issue paying extra for a high quality anything. It's also a ridiculous conversation starter because it truly looks badass and the nickname is fitting. I could add anything to my murderspork it would be the ability to remove the D handle on the end and add another fiberglass section for the times you need a longer handle.
That shouldn't be too hard since the fiberglass handle has a solid core at the shovel end. The fiberglass might not be strong enough to withstand the strain though.

-M

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Whenever I've had to shovel the ground has been soft.... which is why I had to shovel, lol.... it was TOO soft. I can't honestly think of a time I used a shovel Overlanding (off-roading) when it was too hard to shovel with a basic $15 shovel.

IMHO a longer handled shovel is more important than one that can slice through tough ground.

Reactions: Envious Outdoors

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Whenever I've had to shovel the ground has been soft.... which is why I had to shovel, lol.... it was TOO soft. I can't honestly think of a time I used a shovel Overlanding (off-roading) when it was too hard to shovel with a basic $15 shovel.

IMHO a longer handled shovel is more important than one that can slice through tough ground.
Yeah, that's a good point.

They say this is more of an all purpose rescue tool, not necessarily for digging soft ground. Though, digging near or under a truck makes a short handle shovel advantageous. Something like this is a decent, though expensive, and overkill, compromise.

-M

Reactions: Winterpeg