Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I bought 3 surplus German shovels at the Army surplus store for 5 bucks. The handles are old and dried out, and has some surface rust, but I think they are salvageable... I was thinking of trying a homemade version of the murder spork, with enough dremmel cut off wheels I think I can pull it off. If I fail, ohh well its $1.66 waisted.

shovel.jpg

Reactions: Road

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
@Cort - I really like the look of the Council Tool Forest Fire Shovel. For more occasional use with a guy like me, which is no fire trail work but more general camp use, is it worth the extra expense over a good long-handled shovel from farm supply stores? It's about 2.5 times the cost of mine, but sure looks rugged and I like the longer shank on it.

Which one of the Rogue Hoe tools would you recommend for general off-road and camp use? They have a wide selection. I like the looks of the Beast, which is much like larger mattocks I've used before with edges going both vertical and horizontal (I think they mean Pulaski style, not Pulsaki), and like the double-edged Hoe as well.
The shovel is forged steel, much thicker than box store and sharpened. The angle of the shovel is optimized for all day use. The wood in the handle is far superior found with ash or hickory. The shape is great. Your write up on the crazy beaver was spot on, I guess my biggest complaint is the length. Me being 6’4” I like longer tools.

I keep the Rogue 55F in my truck, I also have their wide rake and small hand tools. I freakin love these. Talk about indestructible. I love the beast for short jobs but it would be hard work for all day jobs. https://roguehoe.com/product/55f/

Reactions: RainGoat and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The shovel is forged steel, much thicker than box store and sharpened. The angle of the shovel is optimized for all day use. The wood in the handle is far superior found with ash or hickory. The shape is great. Your write up on the crazy beaver was spot on, I guess my biggest complaint is the length. Me being 6’4” I like longer tools.

I keep the Rogue 55F in my truck, I also have their wide rake and small hand tools. I freakin love these. Talk about indestructible. I love the beast for short jobs but it would be hard work for all day jobs. https://roguehoe.com/product/55f/
Cool, Cort, good advice, thanks.

I hear you on the short handled shovels. At only 3'8" tall even I don't like short handled tools. No, no, I am short though, at around 5'6", but have always preferred a longer handle over a short one for spade or shovel. Good tip on the Roguehoe.com site. I had not known about it.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I bought 3 surplus German shovels at the Army surplus store for 5 bucks. The handles are old and dried out, and has some surface rust, but I think they are salvageable... I was thinking of trying a homemade version of the murder spork, with enough dremmel cut off wheels I think I can pull it off. If I fail, ohh well its $1.66 waisted.

View attachment 50200
Hey @Bouncer - I wonder how a regular grinder would work, too, at cutting spork teeth. Probably use a lot less in wheels. A jig saw or band saw with metal cutting blades would make quick cuts, too, if you have access to either.

Let me know if you want any dimensions/angles of cut from my shovel to use as a guide, then let us all know how it went if you do it.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Hey @Bouncer - I wonder how a regular grinder would work, too, at cutting spork teeth. Probably use a lot less in wheels. A jig saw or band saw with metal cutting blades would make quick cuts, too, if you have access to either.

Let me know if you want any dimensions/angles of cut from my shovel to use as a guide, then let us all know how it went if you do it.

I have a Jig saw, but have never been very proficient with it. My cuts are not pretty with it at all. with a dremmel though I don't know why, but I can usually choke up on it and get somewhat detailed. I am going to see if the wife can just sharpie an outline on it for me, as shes pretty good at eyeballing stuff like that. If not I may hit you up for the dimensions. I will try and make a DIY guide of it, if its somewhat of a success.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have a Jig saw, but have never been very proficient with it. My cuts are not pretty with it at all. with a dremmel though I don't know why, but I can usually choke up on it and get somewhat detailed. I am going to see if the wife can just sharpie an outline on it for me, as shes pretty good at eyeballing stuff like that. If not I may hit you up for the dimensions. I will try and make a DIY guide of it, if its somewhat of a success.
Cool, let me know, man. I can do an actual physical tracing of the teeth and mail it to you. All it'll cost is a coffee or beer when I come through Wagoner County on my way down to the borderlands. Ok, and maybe a hot dog.

I like that you're going to experiment with the idea.

Reactions: Bouncer

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Cool, let me know, man. I can do an actual physical tracing of the teeth and mail it to you. All it'll cost is a coffee or beer when I come through Wagoner County on my way down to the borderlands. Ok, and maybe a hot dog.

I like that you're going to experiment with the idea.
Man that is a deal. would love to check out a real rig... ha.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I may even try to put serrations in one of the edges.
Hey Bouncer, serrations on shovels and such chip really easy, just take a bastard file and put an edge on that shovel, you’ll love it.

If you use a tool like a grinder it will heat the shovel enough to lose temper and get soft so it will roll the edge. If you want to cut teeth do it with a hack saw then clean it with a file.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Hey Bouncer, serrations on shovels and such chip really easy, just take a bastard file and put an edge on that shovel, you’ll love it.

If you use a tool like a grinder it will heat the shovel enough to lose temper and get soft so it will roll the edge. If you want to cut teeth do it with a hack saw then clean it with a file.
Thanks for the heads up, had not thought aboit that. Hack saw it is.

Reactions: Road and Cort

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

A pick and a shovel would be nice. I've never carried a pick though. Maybe I should. Certainly would not look as BAD ASS!!!

-M
They also make smaller "hand" picks, like what a geologist uses (I learned this from an ex girlfriend who was a geologist). They are small enough to be easy to pack away but you can pull them out when all you need is a little ground breaking. Obviously, it's not the same as a full sized pick axe but it's way more convenient to carry and how often do you really need a full size pick axe.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Those that have your Krazy Beaver on the roof rack, how's the fiberglass handle holding up in that environment? sometimes fiberglass gets beat up by UV rays & you'll eventually get tiny shards of 'glass in your hands.
Thanks in advance for your replies

Reactions: Desert Runner