Enthusiast I

Evansville, Indiana
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Thompson
Service Branch
US Navy
I'm new to overlanding (and the forum). Great topics and tips folks! The rig I am going to work with will be a 2003 Kia Sorento. It is what I have currently to work with. Do any members of the forum have any knowledge and experience with the Kias? There doesn't seem to be a good aftermarket for parts other than old man emu for a suspension upgrade. At least based on my research so far.
Anybody have any tips, hacks, and advice for me. I am planning on getting a different truck in the future but for the time being....

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

An old coworker of mine used to live out of hers, both here in the northeast and in Colorado.

Don't know a Damn thing about them beyond that but it seems like a solid endorsement.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

The Old Man Emu lifts seem to have good reviews for the Jeep ones. I would imagine the quality would be good for any.

Good to see we have a variety on here.
Also good to see people aren't falling into the it's not a designated "offroad" vehicle so it can't do anything.
Many people never take there rigs on anything more than dirt roads for camping. As a 2wder I've made mine far more capable for overlanding, whether forestry roads, trails etc don't let it hold you back.

Also don't be discouraged if there isn't that much designed specifically for the Sorento, with a little grinding, welding etc you or a shop could make things work and look great.

thompsongtx

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Evansville, Indiana
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Thompson
Service Branch
US Navy
It is a little jolted in the front end. 205k and still runs strong. It's been good to me so far. Just regular maintenance upkeep and oil changes. Still a quiet and comfortable ride and a daily driver!

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

hey i have a 2014 kia sorento AWD they are pretty hardy....the problem i have is the lack of ground clearance so when the wife goes back to england in feb i'm going to build some lift "pucks" and raise her 2" from what i can see the suspension should in theory be able to be realigned to be with in factory settings so i shouldn't have any wheel scrubbing issues......then i am building a under belly guard that goes up and wraps the front end so that i'll be able to Jack off the front and eventually build the same for the back end with a swing away on it for the spare.
these are all things i did to my 2004 land rover freelander back in england and the suspension looks to be the same and the land rover was uni-bodied too so i know about spreading load for the under belly protection/jacking points.
The Kias are really a good base BUT like the original poster put there is no offroad/overland products on the market for them :(

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

2014 cannot handle a full two inches of lift. 1.5 is about it.
And without low range you will be very limited on what it actually be able to do.

If you haven't done so yet check Sorento nation.com

Mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

It has the Daystar coil spacers as well as the old man emu medium-duty coil springs and fender trimming to allow clearance of 265 75 16 tires.
Bumper in rock sliders are custom built.

It's basically stock other than that and with the Factory limited slip it will go way more places then even I ever imagined it would go and it is Better Built than any jeep product I have ever owned

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

i had a look on sorento nation and there is a 2013 on there with the 2" puck on the front and the 2" on the rear with a spring to giving 3" of rear lift ...... now what will limit the 2" on the 2014 model? and also with the 6 speed auto its can handle some steady crawling the factor that really limits me is the 2.4 engine......... i lack torque and need to rev it to make the power and in an ideal world the low gear would help that just so i can use the torque of the BETA 2 engine better. so the limited slip was factory in yours..hmm wish i had that but the traction control does do an amazing job and got me out of many cross axle situation up to date.