Kayaks - Inflatable, Rigid, Folding. . . whaddya have and how do ya like it?

• HTML tutorial

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I used to have a couple inflatables we used to kayak the N. Fork of the American River (Colfax to Yankee Jim's) in. They were cheap, but beat the inner tubes (!) we used to use prior to the kayaks.

If I were to do it again, I'd do inflatables, but I'd opt for nicer ones (self bailing).

Reactions: Road

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I was strictly a fly fisherman, who waded streams for several years. Last year, a buddy I fish with quite a lot, convinced me to buy a kayak so we could cover more river on our fishing trips. I bought a Jackson Big Rig FD. It's 13.25 feet long, 40 inches wide and weighs 145 pounds, with the pedal drive. I tried putting it on my Xterra, at first. That lasted two trips to a river near my house before I broke down and bought a trailer. It's big, heavy and not the easiest thing to maneuver, but once I get it in the water, it's a dream. It slices through the water effortlessly and it displaces such a huge volume, I can float it in less than 2 inches of water without scraping. At 40 inches wide, I can stand an throw a skagit line with a single-hand fly rod or grab a baitcaster and pitch a frog. I rarely fish lakes, but when I do, I never worry about the wakes from other boats. If you like to fish, but have never done so from a kayak, I highly encourage you to try it. It is so much more of an intimate experience than any other method of fishing I have ever experienced.

Kayak.jpgKayak IV.jpgKayak III.jpgKayak I.jpg

Reactions: BlackDog1

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I know the OP already made a decision but I figured I'd throw my hat in on Advanced Elements for anyone else in the market.

Researched extensively for months and my partner and I decided the Advanced Frame Convertible would suit our needs well.

It's a 15 footer set up for tandem at the moment. Bit weighty at #50 but stable as all get-out. Plenty comfortable for two plus the mutt. Rated for coastal as well as up to Class II Rapids. Capacity of #550. Tracks well and goes fast enough for my taste. Plus plenty of accessories to opt for later on. Got the setup down to about 10-12 minutes.

Paid $699 through REI (since Amazon was backordered at the same price). The kayak with 3 vests, two paddles, floor protector (thick foam pad), dry bag, and foot pump came to right about a grand.

Very happy with the purchase and I definitely recommend it (if you can carry it).

Reactions: Road and Hobie01

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Bit weighty at #50
we bought a vibe skipjack last year at #72...that's a lot more weight that i realized once i started trying to get it on top of the camper. i dont remember 70 pounds being so heavy....i wish i went lighter now

20190701_133612.jpg

Reactions: Road

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

...at #72...that's a lot more weight that i realized once i started trying to get it on top of the camper.
No doubt. Being inflatable, the #50 is much easier to carry on my shoulder after its inflated as its easier to handle and comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it that way for a moderate portage. Transportation is a little different as it packs into bag about 1.5 standard duffel bags long and 2 high. Too long to carry with both hands horizontally in front of you (won't get down stairs between the railings), and too heavy for most to swing over one shoulder. I can move it around without too much trouble but my partner can't without stopping every few feet to set it down.

Reactions: grubworm

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We have a GUMOTEX Scout since quite some time. It is great. Easy and quick to inflate and deflate, enough space inside, very robust and stable. All this with a reasonable pack size to put it in the rig or carry it on the roof.

Enjoy kayaking!

Bjoern

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I know the OP already made a decision but I figured I'd throw my hat in on Advanced Elements for anyone else in the market.

Researched extensively for months and my partner and I decided the Advanced Frame Convertible would suit our needs well.

It's a 15 footer set up for tandem at the moment. Bit weighty at #50 but stable as all get-out. Plenty comfortable for two plus the mutt. Rated for coastal as well as up to Class II Rapids. Capacity of #550. Tracks well and goes fast enough for my taste. Plus plenty of accessories to opt for later on. Got the setup down to about 10-12 minutes.

Paid $699 through REI (since Amazon was backordered at the same price). The kayak with 3 vests, two paddles, floor protector (thick foam pad), dry bag, and foot pump came to right about a grand.

Very happy with the purchase and I definitely recommend it (if you can carry it).
I had been looking at those and your post got me to look again. Seems like its no longer available now except for one place that's higher than list price. Damn. Probably sold out everywhere. Oh well, Have to wait again.
Did you buy the backbone and or the drop stitch floor also? Looks like the elite has the floor standard, those are sold out too.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@smritte
For the time being, we do not. Fishing isn't a regular activity for me, so the added stability of the drop stitch didn't seem necessary. I may consider it in the future, as it will stiffen up the middle of the boat and keep it from sagging when carried by two people. But for 250 bucks, I need a better reason.

The backbone is something I might consider first but as I said earlier, I'm not all that unhappy with its tracking abilities on flat water. Our local lake is quite long and funnels wind so white caps are a regular fight. I will probably come back and update this if I decide to spring for it later on.

There is also a wind sail available that I'm keeping an eye on. Seems like a neat and useful idea around where we travel.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
@smritte
For the time being, we do not. Fishing isn't a regular activity for me, so the added stability of the drop stitch didn't seem necessary. I may consider it in the future, as it will stiffen up the middle of the boat and keep it from sagging when carried by two people. But for 250 bucks, I need a better reason.

The backbone is something I might consider first but as I said earlier, I'm not all that unhappy with its tracking abilities on flat water. Our local lake is quite long and funnels wind so white caps are a regular fight. I will probably come back and update this if I decide to spring for it later on.

There is also a wind sail available that I'm keeping an eye on. Seems like a neat and useful idea around where we travel.
Thank you. I didn't realize a sail was available. I'm not much of a fisherman, so it would be for cruising around my local small lakes and out in the bay.

Reactions: Shakes355

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@smritte

The windsail they have available looks very interesting as an option to me! Seems to me well thinked through!

I like also some of the boats of Advanced Elements. They make a professional impression to me and have a lot of additional equipment available to customize the kayak for ones special needs.

2xAGM114

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Perception Carolina 12s x 2. Third season, great boats. Longitudinal stability is great, tracks straight without a rudder. Sits low in the water unlike a sit on top. We've had them in dozens of lakes in the PNW region including some choppy, windy conditions with no issues. Got ours from Austin Canoe & Kayak with free shipping.

I would recommend against an inflatable for serious kayaking.

Reactions: freedomomelet

DMC707

Rank 0

Contributor I

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mcbride
Have a couple of Pelican singles and a tandem. My rigs areof the inexpensive box store variety, but my fiance and i just like to get out and get some exercise.
If we ever advance past the. Novice stage, id consider upgrading but for now they are great for allowing us to have some fun on the water occasionally

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I'm really starting to lust over the idea of the Kokopelli Rogue Lite inflatable packraft/kayak. These things only weigh 5lbs and pack down to almost the size of a roll of paper towels! Friend has one and loves it.

neri

Rank 0

Contributor I

Argentina
First Name
Neri
Last Name
That ones look quite interesting! Have never seen boats like these before. I guess, that they suite well for fishing. Do they have a good stability?
Yes, a lot of stability and the best: turn into a backpack for easy transport.

Reactions: El-Dracho and PCO6

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes, a lot of stability and the best: turn into a backpack for easy transport.

Interesting! Thanks!

Reactions: neri