Kayaks - Inflatable, Rigid, Folding. . . whaddya have and how do ya like it?

• HTML tutorial

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I was strictly a fly fisherman, who waded streams for several years. Last year, a buddy I fish with quite a lot, convinced me to buy a kayak so we could cover more river on our fishing trips. I bought a Jackson Big Rig FD. It's 13.25 feet long, 40 inches wide and weighs 145 pounds, with the pedal drive. I tried putting it on my Xterra, at first. That lasted two trips to a river near my house before I broke down and bought a trailer. It's big, heavy and not the easiest thing to maneuver, but once I get it in the water, it's a dream. It slices through the water effortlessly and it displaces such a huge volume, I can float it in less than 2 inches of water without scraping. At 40 inches wide, I can stand an throw a skagit line with a single-hand fly rod or grab a baitcaster and pitch a frog. I rarely fish lakes, but when I do, I never worry about the wakes from other boats. If you like to fish, but have never done so from a kayak, I highly encourage you to try it. It is so much more of an intimate experience than any other method of fishing I have ever experienced.

View attachment 136555View attachment 136556View attachment 136557View attachment 136558
How do you like that Yakima Trailer? I too fly fish from a Kayak. I have a Nucanue Frontier, 12 long and 42 wide and can double haul standing in aggressive rollers on the lake. Fishing form it down the river is even better. I can load it up for a couple of nights camping on the rivers edge. Love it. But, ts heavy and a pain when out of the water, getting it in/out of the truck is tough I am not getting stronger these days.

Reactions: Itacal

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
How do you like that Yakima Trailer? I too fly fish from a Kayak. I have a Nucanue Frontier, 12 long and 42 wide and can double haul standing in aggressive rollers on the lake. Fishing form it down the river is even better. I can load it up for a couple of nights camping on the rivers edge. Love it. But, ts heavy and a pain when out of the water, getting it in/out of the truck is tough I am not getting stronger these days.
Dude, get a trailer when/if you can. It requires little effort to get my kayak on and off the trailer. Makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable. I cannot imagine ever putting my kayak on the roof of a vehicle ever again. I will tell you this, I look forward to getting up and going fishing with the kayak, and I don’t dread getting off the water because I’m gonna have to load a kayak onto my roof. I did buy the 72” bars (it came with 66”) because my buddy has a Jackson Mayfly, which is 36“ wide. I am able to fit my Big Rig FD, which is 40” wide, and his Mayfly without any problems whatsoever.

As for the Yakima, it’s awesome. I’ve had it on the highway several times at 70mph with no problems whatsoever. It is incredibly light, but solid. It stays tucked behind my vehicle, turns well, and I haven’t found it to wobble, shake or anything like that, even at 70mph. I would definitely buy it again.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Tight lines!

Reactions: BlackDog1

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Dude, get a trailer when/if you can. It requires little effort to get my kayak on and off the trailer. Makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable. I cannot imagine ever putting my kayak on the roof of a vehicle ever again. I will tell you this, I look forward to getting up and going fishing with the kayak, and I don’t dread getting off the water because I’m gonna have to load a kayak onto my roof. I did buy the 72” bars (it came with 66”) because my buddy has a Jackson Mayfly, which is 36“ wide. I am able to fit my Big Rig FD, which is 40” wide, and his Mayfly without any problems whatsoever.

As for the Yakima, it’s awesome. I’ve had it on the highway several times at 70mph with no problems whatsoever. It is incredibly light, but solid. It stays tucked behind my vehicle, turns well, and I haven’t found it to wobble, shake or anything like that, even at 70mph. I would definitely buy it again.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Tight lines!

that helps a lot. thanks

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I had an inflatable kayak, and it was terrible. It would not track well because your butt sits lower and causes you to track off center, unlike a plastic kayak with the molded in rudder.

I’ve seen the foldable ones, now that looks compact enough to store without causing a storage issue, but I am unsure of the durability/comfort/ease of use.

Reactions: Road

PeterPaul

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Storniolo
Member #

Well, the title of this thread says it all, pretty much. I've been pondering the purchase of a kayak to take along on my wanderings.

Mostly for getting out there alone for fishing and photography, though I may have a dog at some point and would like to be able to accommodate another person from time to time, so a tandem is more appealing.

Wondering what you have and how you like it and, as this would be my first kayak--done lots of canoeing over the years--any tips you might have for what to look for.

I'm presently leaning towards an inflatable kayak for a couple reasons. Packing, mostly, in that I won't have to keep moving it out of the way on a rack or on top of my RTT, but also so it is not as likely to go missing. I'm not one to hang overland bling all over my van or trailer, and keep my tools, jacks, shovels etc as inside as I can other than when actually on a trail.

I don't really need a sleek expert-level kayak, either, but one I can get out on lakes and slow moving streams and perhaps along the occasional ocean shoreline.

I looked at an interesting folding kayak, but in the end decided against it as being not as stable and likely more of a hassle to put together, and not as long-lived.

So, having an inflatable kayak seems to fit the bill, so far. I'm looking mostly at the Aire Tributary Tomcat Tandem Inflatable Whitewater Kayak, though with a long-assed name like that I'll probably call it Fred. Maybe Shirley.

Has a more rigid floor than others, has stong and movable thwart seats, and can be used solo with gear or tandem with another person. Packs up to around 25 x 21 x 16 and weighs between 42-50 lbs, depending on which site you look. That's plenty doable for an 82yr old like me and with my mongo van, I'll be able to secure it inside on day jaunts away from camp, or in my trailer for longer rides.

It's $799 most places and at REI I'll get $79 back in dividends.

Anyone have personal experience with one of these, or have experienced advice on another I should consider?

Suggestions/advice on paddles, other gear for the applications mentioned above? I don't see myself doing whitewater rapids, so won't need specific gear for that.

View attachment 50991
Is your trailer an xventure? We are about to buy one. How do you like it?

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I have only started kayaking this past summer and only got out a few times. So far I really enjoy it, the freedom of it and am hoping to do some weekend wheeling/kayaking trips this coming summer.

Attachments

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Is your trailer an xventure? We are about to buy one. How do you like it?
Hi there @PeterPaul - no idea why I was never notified of this, and just noticed it tonight.

I LOVE my XV-2 and have had it all over the country for well over 600 nights out. I depend on it to be the solid foundation of all the back country base camping I do.
There aren't many people who have used one as much as I have, according to the folks at XVenture. I've been up to their plant in Clintonville WI a couple times.

Feel free to contact me through private message here, or through my site, instead of adding to this canoe thread, if you there's some other way I can be of help in regard to XVenture trailers.

leveledup-loaded_2270-900wm.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Poking around old threads and found this one I started long time ago on kayaks, inflatables, and canoes, so am updating it with how extremely thrilled I've been with my Hornbeck 14' Nomad Solo-Tandem.

I've been out on the water more since I've had this canoe in a couple years than all the rest of my many years combined.

Here are a few favorite image made possible by having this canoe.

limitedhorizons_0704-1028.jpg

limitedhorizons_1026-1028.jpg

nomad_1900-1000.jpeg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Road - Seeing your last picture above reminded me of this one of mine ... minus the boots. :blush:

View attachment 188885
Nothing quite like having watercraft that allows you to go ashore pretty much wherever you want. I love getting out there at dawn and dusk for the steam fog that happens. Great way to start and end one's daylight.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Nothing quite like having watercraft that allows you to go ashore pretty much wherever you want. I love getting out there at dawn and dusk for the steam fog that happens. Great way to start and end one's daylight.
Totally agree. With a travel mug of coffee in the morning and a shot of whisky at night ... when I get back to shore.

Reactions: Road

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Here is a site I found with some interesting inflatables. They have figured out how to put a zipper on the tube so you can store items inside the pontoon. Some actually are able to strap an E-bike onto it. Interesting company history too. The Ranger is on my wish list!

Reactions: Road and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Here is a site I found with some interesting inflatables. They have figured out how to put a zipper on the tube so you can store items inside the pontoon. Some actually are able to strap an E-bike onto it. Interesting company history too. The Ranger is on my wish list!

nice. we have a vibe tandem kayak that is close to 80# and getting to be a pain to transport on long trips. the inflatables are making a lot of sense to me now....

Reactions: M Rose and Road

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I built this one in 2018. A Millcreek 16.5 open cockpit tandem from plans by CLC. She weighs 65#.

Right after I finished her, my daughter and I took her to Wyoming.

Attachments

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I used to have inflatable kayaks for packing into the back of the Jeep, but they are a pain to paddle any distance because they don't track all that well and they drag in the water. I switched to some cheap second hand pelican kayaks and they work great I'm adding a few fishing gizmos to mine and I have opened them up for a bit more storage. they have been taking us to back country lakes for a few years not with no complaints.
I never trusted fishing from the inflatable because I didn't want to get the hook caught in the side. I tried a few times but i get blown across the lake and it was awkward to fish from. the hard kayaks are not really less awkward, but i know I'm not going to sink it with a fishing hook.
I may look into an actual cheap fishing kayak in the future but for now mines working .

Reactions: EBasil

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I have had my eyes set on REI's 14ft Sit on Top and Cabelas 12T Ascend Kayaks. Since I want to bring one of my pups along the inflatable option is out the door.