Kayaks - Inflatable, Rigid, Folding. . . whaddya have and how do ya like it?

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm new around here but this is a topic I'm pretty good at.
I drank the koolaid of the Hobie and I'm on my 4th one. I fish tournaments, this is the reason I joined here. I'm working on a 4x8 runway trailer for my tournaments and prefishing and was looking for ideas on the easiest way to rooftop it.
But I've had two Outbacks then went to a 14 Pro Angler (Cadillac, but heavy as hell). Now I'm back to a 2019 Outback and love it. Peddling is where it's at, hands free casting. The Hobie marriage drive is by far superior here in the marsh of South Louisiana. Grass doesn't get tangled and you can do the half stroke flutter in skinny water.
Once I get my post count up I'll share some pics, and if any of you guys find your way down here, I'll take you out on what we call a Cajun sleigh ride.

Cool cool, I might just take you up on the offer to get out on the waters of Cajun country. Spent around a month, I think, down there last Dec-Jan around Abbeville, Charenton and Jeanerette, Lake Fausse Pointe and general Atchafalaya Basin area.

I posted images of my canoe earlier in this thread, here and here, after starting it wondering about other's experiences with kayaks, inflatables, canoes, etc.

When I was paddling 'round south of I-10 in Cajun country, several people asked if I made my pirogue or where I got it. Was a fast education on traditional pirogues, though I can certainly see why they thought what I have was from their neck o' the woods. I adore paddling 'round in my canoe. It's a 14' Hornbeck Nomad Solo/Tandem with a 30" beam and low profile. Glides slick, true, and easy through the water and at only 28lbs, yes, really only 28lbs, it's super easy to portage or load up on my trailer or van.

Looking forward to canoe camping with it this summer around New England. Thinking about making removable arched covers for fore and aft, too, that will snug up around me for big weather to keep me and my gear dry.

Boarider

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Burton
Roof vs bed/ trailer carry is a big factor where weight is concerned. Do you use any type of landing gear to launch?
If so, is it temporarily or permanently mounted?
I have a maximus cart that slides over the stern. It's a simple cart and easy to put on and take off. I've seen a lot of guys fight with the scupper hole karts getting them to line up while in the water to pull them out. I try hard not to make any holes in the hull for mounting. The PA is nice with the H-rail mountain system, but the 19 Outback has lots of options also.20190421_161622.jpg

Reactions: grubworm and LD5050

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

I just picked up an Advanced Elements Island Voyage 2 inflatable tandem. i was looking for a 14 foot fishing boat and trailer but realized after seeing a few i have no room for that, so i started looking at kayaks. i have a roof tent on my forester and dont like the idea of strapping yet another weighty item to my roof rack. this popped up on massdrop (group purchasing site) for half off and i jumped on it. been out a few times and super happy with the purchase. great for fishing, great for fun.

1564428129883.png

Reactions: Road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I just picked up an Advanced Elements Island Voyage 2 inflatable tandem. i was looking for a 14 foot fishing boat and trailer but realized after seeing a few i have no room for that, so i started looking at kayaks. i have a roof tent on my forester and dont like the idea of strapping yet another weighty item to my roof rack. this popped up on massdrop (group purchasing site) for half off and i jumped on it. been out a few times and super happy with the purchase. great for fishing, great for fun.

View attachment 109762
We bought a rigid kayak and an inflatable stand up paddle board...the inflatable paddle board is really nice and very tough and easy to store. Im getting an inflatable kayak for my oldest son whos in college and camps a lot and doesnt have a lot of room to store stuff...that Advanced Elements looks great!

Reactions: Hobie01

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

We bought a rigid kayak and an inflatable stand up paddle board...the inflatable paddle board is really nice and very tough and easy to store. Im getting an inflatable kayak for my oldest son whos in college and camps a lot and doesnt have a lot of room to store stuff...that Advanced Elements looks great!
I love it! i suggest this brand to anyone. they have different models for different things. i bought mine on drop.com for $250 on sale from $450. they stock them from time to time. i think right now they have an advanced frame single sit in kayak for $300 or so..

Reactions: grubworm

midwesttrekker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

O'Fallon, MO, USA
First Name
Galen
Last Name
Sinkey
Member #

I went with an inflatable Advanced Elements kayak last month. I set it up for solo use and I'm loving it; it tracks straight and glides really nicely. I have the backbone / spine bar for it... I see that as a necessity. I like not having to worry about fastening it to a roof rack.

kayak_day_1007_main.jpgkayak_day_1007_solo.jpg

Reactions: Road and Hobie01

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
Well, the title of this thread says it all, pretty much. I've been pondering the purchase of a kayak to take along on my wanderings.

Mostly for getting out there alone for fishing and photography, though I may have a dog at some point and would like to be able to accommodate another person from time to time, so a tandem is more appealing.

Wondering what you have and how you like it and, as this would be my first kayak--done lots of canoeing over the years--any tips you might have for what to look for.

I'm presently leaning towards an inflatable kayak for a couple reasons. Packing, mostly, in that I won't have to keep moving it out of the way on a rack or on top of my RTT, but also so it is not as likely to go missing. I'm not one to hang overland bling all over my van or trailer, and keep my tools, jacks, shovels etc as inside as I can other than when actually on a trail.

I don't really need a sleek expert-level kayak, either, but one I can get out on lakes and slow moving streams and perhaps along the occasional ocean shoreline.

I looked at an interesting folding kayak, but in the end decided against it as being not as stable and likely more of a hassle to put together, and not as long-lived.

So, having an inflatable kayak seems to fit the bill, so far. I'm looking mostly at the Aire Tributary Tomcat Tandem Inflatable Whitewater Kayak, though with a long-assed name like that I'll probably call it Fred. Maybe Shirley.

Has a more rigid floor than others, has stong and movable thwart seats, and can be used solo with gear or tandem with another person. Packs up to around 25 x 21 x 16 and weighs between 42-50 lbs, depending on which site you look. That's plenty doable for an 82yr old like me and with my mongo van, I'll be able to secure it inside on day jaunts away from camp, or in my trailer for longer rides.

It's $799 most places and at REI I'll get $79 back in dividends.

Anyone have personal experience with one of these, or have experienced advice on another I should consider?

Suggestions/advice on paddles, other gear for the applications mentioned above? I don't see myself doing whitewater rapids, so won't need specific gear for that.

View attachment 50991
I myself have an inflatable Kayak the brand is Aquaglide XL it's a complete fishing set up kayak but tracks well . Not a fast kayak but tracks well .
I can also accommodate 2 person . Myself and my wife . It packs well in my JKU .
What's your budget. It was pricey but well worth
It. Good investment very quality product . 20170719_180114.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I myself have an inflatable Kayak the brand is Aquaglide XL it's a complete fishing set up kayak but tracks well . Not a fast kayak but tracks well .
I can also accommodate 2 person . Myself and my wife . It packs well in my JKU .
What's your budget. It was pricey but well worth
It. Good investment very quality product . View attachment 112704
Thanks for the post and info, @Scrambler84 .

I ended up getting a 14' Hornbeck Nomad canoe last year in May. It is only 28lbs, made of a kevlar/carbon fiber matrix. I posted several images earlier in the thread of it when new and later in the water. I love it.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's the latest from my Hornbeck 14' Nomad, from lake camping this past week.

and this one from just this morning:

Last edited:

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Picked up an Intex Excursion Pro Kayak. It's nice enough for what I use it for. It's slower than a hard kayak, in cold water you will need to carry the pump, and the included paddles leave much to be desired. But it's price point is perfect for the occasional paddle in a lake, slow river, or calm ocean.

Reactions: Hobie01 and Road

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Great thread to find.

The Varmints seem to think they are Labrador Retrievers. They are doing their best to get me to throw money into a hole in the water. We bought a couple of cheap Intex inflatables, but they are pretty much just a kayak shaped object. They aren't horrible, but they leave me wanting.

I am now in research mode to find something better.

The Hobie Mirage Pro Angler looks sweet, but the price tag, well, that is more than I have paid for most of my vehicles. Plus there is the storage and transport side of the picture.

The NRS Pike (now apparently replaced by the Star Pike) is looking like a reasonable option.

I just need to find out more about what all is out there. And probably watch Craigslist for a while. And see what shows up during the winter when no one wants a kayak.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Been gone for eight months on the road camping backcountry, mostly along the border with limited or no cell service, and this place has always been hard and slow for me on a phone, so I'm just now catching up with posts in this thread since Oct when I left.

This is really great feedback on the Oru folding kayak and I hope others in this thread who have considered it, see your post.

Thanks for coming back to add it, man, much appreciated.
We ended up with the Advance Elements inflatable. It’s a bit more work to set up and take down than the Oru but it’s very stable and fun to use.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

We ended up with the Advance Elements inflatable. It’s a bit more work to set up and take down than the Oru but it’s very stable and fun to use.
Cool, looking forward to seeing some images of it in action!

I've been using the hell out of my Hornbeck Nomad and loving every minute of it. To the point that I'm planning some of my next big long adventure around places I can slip her into the water again for fishing, wildlife photography, or just paddling.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

Alan S

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

windsor ca
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

I have six kayaks, plastic, Kevlar, and the latest addition is an Intex excursion pro. It has quickly become a favorite due to portability and the fact that my wife and I don’t have to load them up on the roof rack. Very comfortable, super easy to inflate/deflate. At 250 bucks, it was a no brainer for us!

Reactions: Road and RoadTrip1

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
Great thread to find.

The Varmints seem to think they are Labrador Retrievers. They are doing their best to get me to throw money into a hole in the water. We bought a couple of cheap Intex inflatables, but they are pretty much just a kayak shaped object. They aren't horrible, but they leave me wanting.

I am now in research mode to find something better.

The Hobie Mirage Pro Angler looks sweet, but the price tag, well, that is more than I have paid for most of my vehicles. Plus there is the storage and transport side of the picture.

The NRS Pike (now apparently replaced by the Star Pike) is looking like a reasonable option.

I just need to find out more about what all is out there. And probably watch Craigslist for a while. And see what shows up during the winter when no one wants a kayak.
Check out Aquaglide Kayaks you will love em.

Reactions: Road