Contributor III

Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Chou
IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

I love sleeping in the great outdoors, but I actually don't enjoy camping. I primarily hate the hassle of constantly packing and unpacking, setting up camp, taking down camp, and all the inefficiencies associated with it. Even more so, I dislike the bulk, weight, complexity, and price of RVs.

And so, I turned to the world of Overlanding to come up with an efficient and minimalistic compromise between camping, glamping, and RVing.

I've fantasized about a truck bed camper shell drawer buildout for many many years. Scouring the internet for inspiration, I spent countless hours over the years brainstorming, designing, and engineering my own custom solution. I spent more time thinking about this build than my whole home renovation.

A large amount of inspiration was from @PapaDave and his Pull Kitchen v1.0

So here is the product approximately 130 hours of labor over the course of 6 weeks of all my free time. It. Took. FOREVER. The irony is not lost on me that I spent 130 hours of time to save myself 15 minutes of setting up/taking down camp.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty proud of it, and I am damn ready to make SO MANY TACOS, and spend so many nights out in the snow sleeping in my own refuge on wheels!

Kitchen
And
Mattress
Platform
K.A.M.P. Drawers

I'm entertaining the idea of mass manufacturing these in some capacity, to sell. Only, of course, if I can somehow massively increase production efficiency. Let me know what you think! Want K.A.M.P. Drawers for your truck? What would you pay for a setup like this?

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Features include:
  • Camp Chef Everest 40,000 BTU Propane Stove. Secured but not mounted permanently, for easy removal and cleaning.
  • Silverware "drawer" with dividers for organization
  • Lift Top "coffee table hinge" for access drawer contents while keeping countertop items accessible
  • 4.5 feet of countertop space
  • Formica Jet Sequoia laminate countertop
  • Griddle storage underneath countertop
  • XL Bamboo cutting board, pull-out and free floating for greater prep space.
  • Adjustable dividers every 3" in the storage drawer
  • Heavy duty 3/4" .120 square tubing and skateboard bearing drawer slides
  • Fully Polyurethane sealed Birch Plywood
  • Duplicolor Truck bed liner
  • Easy turnbuckle mounting
  • Lifting straps for garage ceiling hoist removal and installation

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

For the maiden voyage, I spent new years weekend camping out in the snow and backcountry skiing, and it worked great! There were a few minor things I would change, and 1 major thing, but overall, I'm loving it. I can unpack and get a burner roaring within 2 minutes of pulling into camp.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Full photo album can be found here: K.A.M.P. Drawers - Kitchen And Mattress Platform
And follow me on Instagram for more adventures: @kampdrawers

Thanks for checking out my creation!

-Sam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Great work, looks awesome and functional! What's your guess on total cost of materials? Also what were the minor and major things you said you'd change next time around?

Sachou

Rank I

Contributor III

Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Chou
Great work, looks awesome and functional! What's your guess on total cost of materials? Also what were the minor and major things you said you'd change next time around?
It was somewhere around $500 for materials.

The major thing would be adding a slide to the silverware drawer instead of having it hinged, so I can get to the contents without having to remove all the stuff on top. And for minor things, there are just a few spots I'd reinforce better, and try to get the bearings lined up better.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

It was somewhere around $500 for materials.

The major thing would be adding a slide to the silverware drawer instead of having it hinged, so I can get to the contents without having to remove all the stuff on top. And for minor things, there are just a few spots I'd reinforce better, and try to get the bearings lined up better.
Gotcha, makes sense. $500 seems relatively low for all the required pieces at first glance (i.e. steel tubing, all the bearings, hardware, etc etc). Props again, I think it came out great!
Knowing what you know now, if you made it all over again from scratch, how many hours do you think it would take this time around?

Last edited:

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Nice build! Looks like you did a great job, and even though you felt like it took forever that’s certainly something you can be really proud of. Plus I have found so much value in the truth that the easier something is to use the more you’ll do it. The time saved on set up often translates to more adventures out on the trail because you are willing to get out and do it.

Great work

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I would be wanting one for sure for the Sequoia, depending on cost...... Also I would ask for less features in my case...hint hint

Jim