Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Anyone interested in a camping trip out to Joshua tree? I am thinking about camping on blm land near pioneertown (an old ghost/mining town) I am working on getting coordinates to the area I'm looking at camping. Just trying to get an idea of who is interested... If you're interest post up and let's get the ball rolling!

Edit: I've got some camp coordinates for us and have been asusured it's a good spot on blm land. If you use Google maps it comes up with an address of 66455 broadway, but looking at the map it appears to be in blm land just outside of Joshua tree np.

34 09' 50.6" n 116 12' 41.6"w

Also I have started a list of people who have replied to this thread as interested. As the date gets closer please try to confirm if you can make it or not. Of course if you do not confirm, it is not a problem, the more the merrier.

1. Scott
2. Raul B
3. Grizzcamp + 1 rig
4. Johnny5isalive - cant make it now :(
5. 1bigjimmy
6. Bronco12 - can't make it now :(
7. Hidesertwheelin - can't make it now :(
8. MarkD - can't make it :(
9. Jimbohotwings

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Here's the coordinates to pioneertown, so I'm thinking we will camp fairly close to that if we can..

34° 9′ 26″ N, 116° 29′ 41″ W

34.157222, -116.494722

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I've added the thread to the calendar for anyone who's interested. I think the thought is, if it works out, to meet at the pioneertown coordinates, then go look for a camp spot from there... Thoughts?

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

We would be interested in going if its family and 2WD friendly for the campsite also? Were new to OB forum so have not yet had a chance to do any meet-up yet.

Reactions: SlashX and Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

We would be interested in going if its family and 2WD friendly for the campsite also? Were new to OB forum so have not yet had a chance to do any meet-up yet.
I'll check to see how friendly the site is. I'm 95% sure you won't need 4wd but there might be some soft sand. And yes it's kid friendly. I'll have at least one of my kids and I know Scott will have his whole family there as well

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

So good to hear its family fun. I'll run this by the boss and see what she thinks tonight. Soft sand sounds like I might need to acquire some recovery gear, shovel and traction boards for some fun.

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV 2WD. Just picked it up a late last year so no modifications yet. This is our first truck and new vehicle so were enjoying the new truck smell lol.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

If we all can meet somewhere before hitting camp I know Raul and I have recovery gear. We welcome anyone who's willing to come out. I can try and figure out how to get there for you

Last edited:

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV 2WD. Just picked it up a late last year so no modifications yet. This is our first truck and new vehicle so were enjoying the new truck smell lol.
like scott said... I'm planning to take that Friday off so we can all meet somewhere before heading in just in case you get stuck...

-Raul

GrizzCamp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Laird
Last Name
Maresch
Member #

Thanks guys, I am not sure about Friday as my wife would not be able to get off work till 7pm so we could possibly head out late Friday night or be out there real early Saturday morning. Would either of those options work out? What was the rough itinerary for Fri-Sat-Sun? Up till now we have usually been a setup and relax kind of camping sorts, like to get fun photos of my little man camping.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Thanks guys, I am not sure about Friday as my wife would not be able to get off work till 7pm so we could possibly head out late Friday night or be out there real early Saturday morning. Would either of those options work out? What was the rough itinerary for Fri-Sat-Sun? Up till now we have usually been a setup and relax kind of camping sorts, like to get fun photos of my little man camping.
we really don't have any plans... generally once i set up camp I'm not moving haha... we did want to go see pioneer town on sunday on our way back home.... other than that we are completely open to anything.

-Raul

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Hi there all!

Sounds like a great run. Not sure if it fits into our family schedule, but I'll check... I happen to remember a post that Michael from OB posted a while back. He was kind enough to post his route via KML file. You can check it out by opening it via the Google Earth app then just add to it for your planning. Also, not sure what your favorite Joshua Tree camp sites are but we happen to enjoy camping at Jumbo Rock. Hope this helps you on your journey.

Here is a link to his original thread on this trail as well...

J

Attachments

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I am interested. I am going to take the Friday off as well. It has been a while but if I remember correctly there shouldn't be an issue getting to Pioneer Town with a 2wd. I was at Joshua Tree over MLK weekend and it was packed. I almost didn't get a spot. If it wasn't for 4wd they would not have allowed us, (me and my dog,) down the trail. J.T. had had recent rains and there were very large mud patches. But low and behold about 4 miles in I passed a group of cars with one truck that made it way back, the people were off enjoying a day hike. You never know what you will find.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have edited the op but will also post the edit in a new reply so it doesn't get missed.

I've got some camp coordinates for us and have been asusured it's a good spot on blm land. If you use Google maps it comes up with an address of 66455 broadway, but looking at the map it appears to be in blm land just outside of Joshua tree np.

34 09' 50.6" n 116 12' 41.6"w

Also I have started a list of people who have replied to this thread as interested. As the date gets closer please try to confirm if you can make it or not. Of course if you do not confirm, it is not a problem, the more the merrier.

1. Scott
2. Raul B
3. Grizzcamp
4. Johnny5isalive
5. 1bigjimmy
6. Bronco12
7. Hidesertwheelin

Last edited: