First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
This came up on another site..

Apparently someone in a Chevy busted his axle in Death Valley and after he replaced the axle he left the busted one on the side of the road!!

The guy is from Utah and very well may be a member here. WTF was he thinking...

Anyone know who this is or the full story?

4E45C6DD-B5C6-40AD-99A8-3C4053773DCD.jpeg C8FE2C73-8AF1-4957-81EF-3FD858FA5406.jpeg

Reactions: JungleSkunk

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Can't spot the obvious OB emblem on the rig.
But also don't know the whole story so kind of easy to judge.. Maybe he had a family with him and had no room to bring the axle out and he will come back? To easy to judge by the pictures really. But if they just left it there, yea that aint to good.. Leave it better then you found!

Reactions: Truckee and Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I know the circumstances surrounding this repair, and the dire urgency. It was kids or axle. In that case, you take the kids. The Park Service is aware, and also aware the axle will be retrieved. I'm sure @A-Aron will chime in.

We adventure. When we do, the unexpected happens and you have to improvise. I urge the community to assume noble intent in the absence of information.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Good Morning guys, yes, this is our stuff, and yes we did leave it behind. Its a long story, but in short we either had to leave the kids behind, or the axle.. The Death Valley NPS service has been contacted and informed and we are coordinating an effort to retrieve it. It is approx 300 lbs (might be shooting a little high on that, but after 6 hrs of gear wrenching in 35 deg windy weather.. it might be closer to 200 lbs) and we couldn't get in on the roof rack with only of us and had to put our kids (3 each rig) in the back seat which we folded down to get the replacement. Any help would be appreciated, GPS coordinates are 37° 3'29.92"N 117°38'19.53"W and we're grateful for any assistance this wonderful community can lend.

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
For @A-Aron , out of curiosity, when you went to pick up the used axle, why not take the broken axle with you and dispose of it?
It was still attached to the rig, like I said, long story.. had to shuttle my brother and his family to warm springs so they didn't freeze in the canyon, they had to camp in the canyon that night because I had to drop my family off somewhere safe to be able to go back and get him and his family. Wind was around 50 mph in that canyon, temps down to 20 deg.

We would have had to drive 2 hours through steel pass, pull off the old one, load it, return to Warms Springs, then drive 4.5 hours to Ridgecrest, pickup the new one, return to warm springs, then back through Steel pass to put the new one on. Then back to warm springs.. we had 6 jerry cans of fuel, filled my tank full wherever we could.. we had 5 gallons left when we got out, which we used to get my brothers rig to Furnace creek when we finally made it out because all the other pumps close at 9:30 PM. I rolled in on fumes.

I slept 6 out of 68 hours, and drove 430 miles on those DV roads in 2.5 days, did Steel Pass 3 times, Decker canyon 5 times. Believe me.. if we could have gotten it out.. we would have.

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Every single hour of that incident is vivid in my memory, and if I had to do it all over again.. I wouldn't change a thing, realize that our families were and will always be our top priority, its easy to look back in hind sight and see what you could have done different or better. But in reality, it was a miracle that nobody was hurt or frozen, and that we made it out on a junk yard axle that was 20+ yrs old, without rear brakes (the replacement axles brakes were ruined, and rebuilding with the broken axle's brakes didn't fix it) Had circumstances been different.. weather, # of people, etc. It would have been a different story, we even had the help of a few passers by lift the axle into place, huge thanks to them. Unfortunately, none of them had room to haul out the axle either.. a couple Jeep JKs loaded down or a Toyota 4 Runner, there was a Tacoma loaded with gear and a bed rack without any room as well.

We're grateful to those that did stop and offer to help, some just drove on through and took pictures and didn't take a second to try and understand the circumstances, in the meantime I stopped what I was doing and helped guide 7+ rigs through the canyon throughout the day. I have talked to Administration and Law enforcement at DV and they have both expressed their gratitude for the contact and appreciate that we are making an effort. Luckily we have a great community here on OB, I've been able to share information about DV that I learned that has helped others safely make it home.. the information on DV is extremely sparse and as a result.. we went over prepared, which turned out to be a blessing.

Since, I have reached out in several places, including on Posted Routes here on OB, to help inform and educate those that are traveling through Death Valley about conditions, routes, fuel, etc. It is remote, dangerous, and extremely worth while trip.. do not expect to be able to communicate to the outside world in any shape or form unless you have a form of satellite communication. We experienced 65 degree temps, down to 15 deg with winds up to 70 mph. Went from 282ft below sea level to 7500'... where we hit black Ice and spun out of control and barely missed the canyon wall in the middle of the night, where my wife went into shock due to the days events. It was a high stress, adrenaline pumping, prayer inducing experience that we made it home safely from as a result of the intervention of God's hand. So please don't assume the worst, the world is full of good people that are trying to do their best with the cards they are dealt.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

If anyone has a ham ticket, be sure you pre-load your phone/tablet with RepeaterBook or take down all the repeaters in the area.

This thread at Tacoma World has some good information on repeater stations in the area. It is really worth it to get your ham licence and a good car-mounted unit if you don't have a SPOT or other GPS locator beacon.

Here is some more information about emergency communications near Panamint.

For those traveling and/or camping in the Panamint Valley near Ballarat, there is limited Emergancy Communications available. A buddy of mine monitors a simplex frequency and can relay data into Ridgecrest. Here is his info:

Call: KF6VAE
Freq: 147.770 MHz
Time: 1800-2100 (Local)

I was able to get into the Randsburg repeater from Balarat on a Cushcraft 3db gain mag mount. I was also able to contact a station in Ridgecrest via 2m simplex on only 10 watts from the campgound in Balarat.

Ed
KI6PSP

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Reactions: RainGoat and TerryD

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
If anyone has a ham ticket, be sure you pre-load your phone/tablet with RepeaterBook or take down all the repeaters in the area.

This thread at Tacoma World has some good information on repeater stations in the area. It is really worth it to get your ham licence and a good car-mounted unit if you don't have a SPOT or other GPS locator beacon.

Here is some more information about emergency communications near Panamint.
Since this happened we purchased a Garmin inReach. Also.. since we're on the subject.. the "Camp Host" at Warm Springs has a AT&T booster if you go over by his trailer that gets you service. Otherwise the closest service is Big Pine through North pass.

My brother has also got his HAM license now.. and I am working on mine.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

From the dates of the thread post this happened on Jan 09. It is now Feb 15. I am trying to wrap my head around why this is still sitting out in the desert and arrangements have not been made to retrieve it.

Your other posts indicate you have had time to work on your rig and organize a trail scouting event locally... in this case you should have the time to recover your trash or pay someone else to do so.

I am completely understanding of the situation but its been over a month and you have a level of respect for the trail as a member that should be upheld.

Not only does this make you look bad but the entire community comes into question when this type of stuff happens.

The Thread:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/17837-broken-chevrolet-axle-left-in-death-valley-backcountry/

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
and get ranked up for doing so
I'm 3 states away and have a family and a full time job, I've reached out to people that have gone there that I have been aware of to help and asked for assistance, DV NPS officials have my info and are aware of the situation. I can organize and participate in local events, day trips, and work on my rig after my children go to bed... My brother.. is even farther away. It's not like I we can take an afternoon and run down to pick it up. How many have driven past with the capacity to remove such items and left them where they sat?

I can't count the bags of trash I've hauled out of places we've visited, there is no excuse.. there are things we can do, and things we can't. Can we retrieve it.. yes, have the stars aligned to enable us to.. no, but that doesn't mean we've stopped trying..

The times that an attempt could have been made the weather has horrible and that is not a place where anyone should be in poor weather.

People will judge and be negative no matter the situation... I bust my but for 60 hrs a week, see my children 1.5 hrs a day, and after they go to bed I work on my rig and actively participate in things I enjoy, Sundays I have religious obligations and I have not traveled more than 60 miles from my home since this happened...

Please don't even pretend to be judgemental, you don't understand the situation, and it's not like it's hidden from the world. The OB community is about helping people, not smearing their problems around in the web. The appropriate officials are aware and I have been in contact with them.

The appropriate action should be to share with others that the off road community is aware and has been in communication with the officials in the area and sharing so the problem can be resolved.. not finger pointng and blaming.. that doesn't help anyone.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'm 3 states away and have a family and a full time job, I've reached out to people that have gone there that I have been aware of to help and asked for assistance, DV NPS officials have my info and are aware of the situation. I can organize and participate in local events, day trips, and work on my rig after my children go to bed... My brother.. is even farther away. It's not like I we can take an afternoon and run down to pick it up. How many have driven past with the capacity to remove such items and left them where they sat?

I can't count the bags of trash I've hauled out of places we've visited, there is no excuse.. there are things we can do, and things we can't. Can we retrieve it.. yes, have the stars aligned to enable us to.. no, but that doesn't mean we've stopped trying..

The times that an attempt could have been made the weather has horrible and that is not a place where anyone should be in poor weather.

People will judge and be negative no matter the situation... I bust my but for 60 hrs a week, see my children 1.5 hrs a day, and after they go to bed I work on my rig and actively participate in things I enjoy, Sundays I have religious obligations and I have not traveled more than 60 miles from my home since this happened...

Please don't even pretend to be judgemental, you don't understand the situation, and it's not like it's hidden from the world. The OB community is about helping people, not smearing their problems around in the web. The appropriate officials are aware and I have been in contact with them.

The appropriate action should be to share with others that the off road community is aware and has been in communication with the officials in the area and sharing so the problem can be resolved.. not finger pointng and blaming.. that doesn't help anyone.
I agree. OB should be a community that rallies around its members to help them when difficulty arises. Most often I see that; now I'm excited to see how OB can help retireve this axle :D

Status
Not open for further replies.