Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
P
Member #

Hey all, just checking in from Indianapolis. New to overlanding. I drive a 14 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. Any good spots to explore? I’ve been to the Hoosier National Forrest but found mostly gravel roads. Would appreciate any suggestions.

mtaylo32

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey guys, just moved to South Bend from Seattle, WA. Have driven mostly forestry roads and would love to learn more about spots in Indiana and Michiana area as well as any tips for learning more technical driving. Have a 2011 Land Rover LR4. Hope everyone is well!

Reactions: ShieldandSword

Bert Rains

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Decker, IN 47524, USA
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Rains
Member #

Hi from SW corner of the state Evansville!!! I'm 59 fat, retiree. Just picked myself up a 2006 H3. Going to take me awhile to have it ready for any tough trails but I'm looking for opportunities to get my Hummer a little dirty!!! Drop me a line with any thoughts!View attachment 138321
Hey I drive an H2 just north of you in Decker have been working on mine for the last year and a half.

Reactions: ShieldandSword

ShieldandSword

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
P
Member #

Hey guys, just moved to South Bend from Seattle, WA. Have driven mostly forestry roads and would love to learn more about spots in Indiana and Michiana area as well as any tips for learning more technical driving. Have a 2011 Land Rover LR4. Hope everyone is well!
Those LR4s are nice. I’m still looking for good places in Indiana.

ShieldandSword

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
P
Member #

ShieldandSword

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
P
Member #

Reactions: Motoboss

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm planning a trip to Drummond Island, MI when things open up. They have some great trails there and it is just beautiful country, including a ferry ride across one of the busiest waterways in the world, if not THE busiest, to the island. There are also the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in western MI, and the Badlands in Attica, IN, which is currently open. There is also Redbird and Interlake state ORV areas. Those 4 are off-road parks, but many overlanders create a route that hits them all. There is also an Indiana overland route I think I saw on this forum somewhere that looks fun. Kentucky has lots of places, and if you make your way to Tennessee, Windrock is a good trail network, as is Royal Blue. Both are huge and offer every level of challenge. I'm sure I'll think of more.

I believe Michigan has huge potential to create routes because you can get permits to drive their forest roads, some of which are VERY remote. For example, Manistee National Forest has many and the UP is full of them. Someone could study them and patch together some wonderful routes, if they took the time, had the maps, and knew the area. I'd bet those routes are out there, but I've just not stumbled across them yet.

Reactions: DadJokes

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
I'm planning a trip to Drummond Island, MI when things open up. They have some great trails there and it is just beautiful country, including a ferry ride across one of the busiest waterways in the world, if not THE busiest, to the island. There are also the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in western MI, and the Badlands in Attica, IN, which is currently open. There is also Redbird and Interlake state ORV areas. Those 4 are off-road parks, but many overlanders create a route that hits them all. There is also an Indiana overland route I think I saw on this forum somewhere that looks fun. Kentucky has lots of places, and if you make your way to Tennessee, Windrock is a good trail network, as is Royal Blue. Both are huge and offer every level of challenge. I'm sure I'll think of more.

I believe Michigan has huge potential to create routes because you can get permits to drive their forest roads, some of which are VERY remote. For example, Manistee National Forest has many and the UP is full of them. Someone could study them and patch together some wonderful routes, if they took the time, had the maps, and knew the area. I'd bet those routes are out there, but I've just not stumbled across them yet.
Our first trip to the UP was last January and even then we had a nice time. No trails per se but we drove past many trails . It’s my understanding you have to be careful though as some trails end up on islands, so to speak, of private land amongst the public land.

I looked at Gaia and it seems easily doable to plan a multi stop route but not living close by, doing a dry run would not be practical. In that case, I’d run things past a Michigan UP familiar group like on here or one of the FB groups.

The wife and are looking forward to going back sometime and getting offroad.

Reactions: DanW

Simeri

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

A few friends and i are planning on hitting some trail and camping this weekend. I used Gaia and found some awesome routes just east of Bloomington. Turns out the hours i spent route planning, i was planning on driving on hiking paths...damn!

I'm in need of help. Does anyone have any cool routes planned out around the INDY area (within a 2 hour drive) they are will to share?

Reactions: DanW

Blue Moon Journeys

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Attica, IN, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

That was my fault on my end. I went and changed the share/visibility setting to public.

OVERLAND ROUTES: Everyone should be able to view now! Here is a small collection of Midwest/TN KY IN routes
TURKEY BAY: And here is a color coded Park map of Turkey Bay OHV park from the main easy routes to the small technical ones here
FILE DUMP: If you just use my google maps, you can go on your phone and tap the 3 horizontal bars next to the search, go down to Offline maps and hit Select your Own Map. This allows you to zoom around the entire area you want (Turkey Bay) If you just want the raw gpx file (without color coding it will all be one color) it is in this folder here Overland routes GPX - Google Drive
Thanks so much for this. The Shawnee is just south of my location. Greatly appreciated!

Blue Moon Journeys

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Attica, IN, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

I've been putting together a map of some GPX files I am finding here My Maps. And some offroad parks as well that I have been to. Take a look here near Brown County/ Yellowood, that is a lot of gravel road. or hop on gravelmap.com
Thank you so much for your efforts. We took a portion of the covered bridges route and had a great time. It was our new Jeep’s virgin ride. I could see my wife’s concern with each rock that hit the Jeep. I’ve lived in the area, but saw so many back roads that I never knew existed.

DougO

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Kokomo, IN, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Obenchain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9NWN
Doug, here in Kokomo. Not new to camping but new to over landing. Just getting started, currently with my stock 07 Silverado so we will see where this adventurer takes me

Reactions: Chief Indy and DanW

jgivens

Rank I

Traveler I

Fortville, IN
First Name
John
Last Name
Givens
Member #

Hello. My name is John, I am 43, Single, and I work at Ingram Micro ITAD.
My vehicle is a 1998 Chevy Blazer ZR2. When I got it, it already had a 2" body lift and a roof rack, I'm looking to do more to it in the coming months.
I live just outside of Fortville, IN.

I'm new to Overlanding. I came across some videos on YouTube and thought "I could do that"...plus, I need some adventure in my life. I find myself being cooped up all the time any more, so I'm looking to start getting out more.

I look forward to getting out there and having some fun and meeting some new people!

20200729_172539.jpg20200729_172424.jpg

Reactions: Bert Rains and DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hello. My name is John, I am 43, Single, and I work at Ingram Micro ITAD.
My vehicle is a 1998 Chevy Blazer ZR2. When I got it, it already had a 2" body lift and a roof rack, I'm looking to do more to it in the coming months.
I live just outside of Fortville, IN.

I'm new to Overlanding. I came across some videos on YouTube and thought "I could do that"...plus, I need some adventure in my life. I find myself being cooped up all the time any more, so I'm looking to start getting out more.

I look forward to getting out there and having some fun and meeting some new people!

View attachment 173134View attachment 173133
Nice Blazer! Always loved and wanted one of those Blazer ZR2's!

Reactions: jgivens