IKamper Skycamp Roof Top Tent

• HTML tutorial

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

Back to the review, would you recommend it as a "buy" or look at alternative. I really dig the size the skycamp provides and ease of adding an awning or annex.

tundraconvert

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here are my first trip observations:

Had a great trip to Big Sur. This was our first trip with the iKamper RTT.
Review:
Incredibly fast set up and breakdown. Very happy overall. I will be building a low profile Prinsu style rack for it soon. Surprisingly only lost 3/4 -1 mpg max with it on Thule racks about 6” above the roof of my shell.
All four of us slept comfortably. First night shoulder to shoulder, a little cramped, we switched to head to toe alternating for the next few nights. This was much more spacious. Tent stays DARK... I didn’t think the sun was up the first morning till we opened the sky roof.
Quite a bit of condensation, I will need to research how to best deal with this. Mattress was way better than a backpacking mat but will most likely look into a memory foam topper for ultimate comfort... happy wife is a happy life.

Attachments

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I would also buy it again, simply because there is no other RTT in it's class. However, if I only needed a 3 person tent, I would choose something else.

Another area of the ikamper that needs improvement is the ladder. The existing ladder that I have (same one as Natchez), the rungs are uncomfortable to climb if barefooted. The ladder is just a generic telescopic ladder. Ideally, the rungs would be flat, when the ladder is at a 70-75 degree angle or if the rungs were round. It also needs at least 2x more adjustment intervals.

Reactions: tundraconvert

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

I would still buy and did buy just for 2 of us (currently. It allows us to bring our gear and spread out. It allows for the dog or dogs to come and then not to have to be on top of up.

Every tent has condensation if you have poor ventilation.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
You wouldn't buy it for 3 persons because of the condensation? Which one would you get?
For 3 persons, I'd probably get a James Baroud or Autohome tent. Yes, the fabric is better... and so is the mattress, ladder & window design. I also like how the support rails are integrated into the floor... flush. The iKamper has the rails mounted beneath the floor... as in most installations, the iKamper will appear to "sit" 1 inch higher than the two other tents mentioned.

The actual top shell of the iKamper feels more flimsy. It might be a good thing as it might absorb impacts better, I don't know. I have not tested the limits before it cracks. I can only say both JB and Autohome "feel" more rigid.

I agree that every (single wall) tent will have condensation if you have poor ventilation. But ventilation is also dependent on the fabric, not just windows. And if using the windows for ventilation, I feel the iKamper window designs are poor. If it had a vent or two above the windows, things would be different. I could go into it in more detail if you want.

Reactions: Jean-Yves Hudon

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
With 4 in my family sleeping inside we create a lot of warm air, and on cold nights we definitely get condensation on all the RTTs we’ve had including our old Tepui, JB and the iKamper. Air movement helps prevent condensation and likely fabric composition makes a difference too. I just make a point to try to let the tent air out in the morning or whenever it’s dry out.
I had a chance to try out the inner insulation layer on our most recent adventure and it made a big difference with warmth and condensation. We were camped at 9000’ and it got down to 5 degrees overnight and I’m so glad we had the insulation layer in there. It did great stopping any draft and felt a lot cozier inside. It seems to create a layer between your sleep quarters and the tent wall fabric which reduced the condensation on the walls. There was zero condensation on the insulation layer also. Between the 3 trucks, we had 7 kids under 6 years old so it really was important to stay warm. I’m most likely gonna keep it in my tent for all our winter camping. B9702782-14B5-47E0-9846-AADD872AC32C.jpeg A538706B-0C94-4927-B319-F2641F132978.jpeg 6B476A8F-09D4-4E4A-AD30-BD05BCB48F4F.jpeg

tundraconvert

Rank 0

Traveler I

I would also buy it again, simply because there is no other RTT in it's class. However, if I only needed a 3 person tent, I would choose something else.

Another area of the ikamper that needs improvement is the ladder. The existing ladder that I have (same one as Natchez), the rungs are uncomfortable to climb if barefooted. The ladder is just a generic telescopic ladder. Ideally, the rungs would be flat, when the ladder is at a 70-75 degree angle or if the rungs were round. It also needs at least 2x more adjustment intervals.
The ladder is an adjustment they made. Mine is the newest version and the rungs are flat, barefoot was no problem.

Reactions: Truckee

tundraconvert

Rank 0

Traveler I

Is anyone using a mattress topper? Willing to give feedback.

It looks like a queen size for the iKamper Skycamp. Just a simple 2" memory foam? Will that collapse OK with the tent?
Thank you.

Reactions: William M. W.

William M. W.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, AR
First Name
William
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Is anyone using a mattress topper? Willing to give feedback.

It looks like a queen size for the iKamper Skycamp. Just a simple 2" memory foam? Will that collapse OK with the tent?
Thank you.
I just tried a 3" memory foam mattress topper with and without the factory foam insert and it really didn't want to close. I'm worried it is putting too much stress on the hinges to make it justifiable, but man was it comfortable in there with the 3". haha

My old sleeping setup tells me that a 2" won't be perfect, as you will still feel the hard surface one pressure points. It will require higher density foam than what you are able to get with the toppers. I am going to keep sampling different things and will keep posting about it here.

I might be able to try the 2" with some high-density foam padding as we saw in the video earlier.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I'm wondering why more folks don't use inflatable camping pads under the stock memory foam? I've laid in a Smittybuilt RTT and agree the thin mattresses aren't great. I have a Roofnest Condor on order and found that two of the Klymit Insulated Double V will perfectly fit the dimensions of the tent. When deflated, they're basically non-existent and when inflated will provide another 3" of cushion plus insulation. I will be storing them in the tent then using them beneath the stock memory foam when in use. Like I said, I'm surprised I don't see this being done more often. Unless people aren't fond of having to blow them up, which is easily achieved by a small coleman mattress pump.
Klymit.jpg

Reactions: QCrunner

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I’ve been using ridgerest pads (closed cell) under the torso section of my iKamper. A self Inflating mattress would indeed be more comfortable but I prefer not to inflate/deflate every time. It takes away the advantage of an RTT... speed.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Yea speed is important but these small pads blow up in around 5 seconds with the Coleman pump.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I’ll take a look at those mats given the next opportunity. I currently use Megamats when I ground tent it and they don’t deflate very fast.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I’ll take a look at those mats given the next opportunity. I currently use Megamats when I ground tent it and they don’t deflate very fast.
Yea that's a beast of a mat. These deflate quickly enough that if I pull the plugs just before I start pulling the awning poles, they should be good to go and any extra air will get pushed out when I closed the tent down on them.

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Yea that's a beast of a mat. These deflate quickly enough that if I pull the plugs just before I start pulling the awning poles, they should be good to go and any extra air will get pushed out when I closed the tent down on them.
I pull the plugs as I start to push everything toward the hinge side. Keeping 2 down top quilts, 2 fullsize pillows, my cpap, and some other clothing in the tent I have to make sure it’s good and flat. I also have a thermorest luxury map mat inside, so that has to be deflated and stowed inside.