• HTML tutorial

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

SkyCamp by Ikamper

This is sort of a hybrid rooftop tent. With a clamshell style hard shell top with a folding extension. Unfortunately, racks cannot be attached to the shell like some james baroud and Alu-cabs tents.

Footprint inside is the size of a king size bed so there's plenty of room for your gear and a couple kids/dogs.

Tent weights about 150lbs so it's not too bad to remove and install if needed.

I have had it for almost 3 months now and this weekend will be the first camping in temps over 35º. Lows are supposed to be in the 50's so I am interested to see the amount of condensation that forms inside the tent. The last three trips in the cold have resulted in quite a bit of condensation.

I will update this review with answers to any questions you all may have. I will also update with better / more photos.

27496400_2010109815910531_751298301_n.jpg 25587883_1388674164598954_3645543357537513424_o.jpg 26678369_1410382142428156_572238885509677209_o.jpg

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Spent two nights in Croatan National Forest. Low’s into the forty’s but no condensation issues at all. Happy that the tent was mounted to bedrack and not the top of say a lifted land cruiser, cause getting my 65lbs Pit up in the tent wasn’t real easy

8B57692F-2DBF-47F6-ABFD-6C05C6536AC5.jpeg C8ABCA45-C833-4012-B692-B01C51D40179.jpeg Reserved

Last edited:

bionicman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Renton Highlands, WA
Member #

Do you have any questions about it?
I guess overall do feel the quality fit finish commands the price tag on these things?
Aero noise while traveling down road?
Comfort while camping in low 20- 30 deg temps?
Noise within temp during 20-30mph winds?
Operation of skylight .does it really provide night star view?
Overall experience differing from ground camping?
Would you buy the ikamper again or look at other models?

Reactions: Rebel_Girl

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

I guess overall do feel the quality fit finish commands the price tag on these things?

I got mine for less than $3k with the Kickstarter

None at all but it’s mounted on a bed rack below the roofline.

That depends on your sleeping arrangements, it retains body heat really well, even with the poly. poly/cotton canvas would probably be better.

Better any ground tent I have ever slept in.

There is a screen and a clear plastic window. It lets light in but certainly not a really clear view. Think boat windows.

I love that the ground conditions are never an issue, leveling the truck has not been an issue. Setup and stow away time is crazy fast and even if you put away wet you could almost dry it in the time it takes to get gas if it clears up on the way home.

I would love to have a full Alu-cab bedbox tent setup, but I still use my truck bed. The Alu-cab and James Baroud tents were on my wish list but I’m not going full on expeditions. The size of the bed in the Skycamp compared to the AC and JB tents makes up for the shortfalls like no option for rack system. I would buy again.

bionicman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Renton Highlands, WA
Member #

I got mine for less than $3k with the Kickstarter

None at all but it’s mounted on a bed rack below the roofline.

That depends on your sleeping arrangements, it retains body heat really well, even with the poly. poly/cotton canvas would probably be better.

Better any ground tent I have ever slept in.

There is a screen and a clear plastic window. It lets light in but certainly not a really clear view. Think boat windows.

I love that the ground conditions are never an issue, leveling the truck has not been an issue. Setup and stow away time is crazy fast and even if you put away wet you could almost dry it in the time it takes to get gas if it clears up on the way home.

I would love to have a full Alu-cab bedbox tent setup, but I still use my truck bed. The Alu-cab and James Baroud tents were on my wish list but I’m not going full on expeditions. The size of the bed in the Skycamp compared to the AC and JB tents makes up for the shortfalls like no option for rack system. I would buy again.
Thank you for taking the time!

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

QCrunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Any issues with condensation? how does it perform in camp with high winds? Any experience with the annex? How is the mattress holding up?

Thanks!

Frank&Bride

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arizona, USA
Member #

Thanks for posting real world info on these tents, they are on our short list for purchase. Like the idea of the hard shell for transportation (living in Arizona the UV rays are brutal). Getting feedback does help with deciding if the extra cost is worth it in the long run.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Terrific design, certainly pushes the traditional canvas RTT out IMO.

Haven’t been convinced on an RTT as yet, weight and pack up are a factor for me.

Despite our mostly overlanding overnight style - we do also like to claim a campsite and then go out exploring - occasionally.... obviously a challenge if you have nothing to literally stake ones claim!

The iKamper looks like good kit however. Especially the 2x

https://rlhydnoverland.com
https://instagram.com/rlhydn_overland

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Any issues with condensation? how does it perform in camp with high winds? Any experience with the annex? How is the mattress holding up?

Thanks!
Condensation. Yes, only once. but I think it was more fog than condensation. Not inside the tent but in the overhang above the door, not to the extent that it dripped but it was wet.
High Winds, Last week I was parted on the beach and the wind was probably blowing 45-50kts. I had the tent with the openings facing the wind instead of using the top to block the wind. It was great.
The Mattress is holding up great and lots of people say its great, but I think they are lying. It leaves ALOT to be desired. Its ok for someone that's really tired and basically passes out after a long day but if you are looking for a relaxing night sleep you have to add something. I am a side sleeper and I'm big 300# so 1.25" very squishy foam is basically like laying on a piece of fabric. I have a 2-week trip planned in September and I will be ditching the factory mattress for an Exped Megamat Duo before then. I will also be gluing 1/2" closed cell exercise mat to the floor for extra insulation.

Reactions: Rebel_Girl

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Thanks for posting real world info on these tents, they are on our short list for purchase. Like the idea of the hard shell for transportation (living in Arizona the UV rays are brutal). Getting feedback does help with deciding if the extra cost is worth it in the long run.
The hard shell is awesome but like any fiberglass vessel it needs to be taken care of or protection added. I still have plans to Line-x the whole thing because it stays on my truck.
When you camp by yourself sometimes you lose sight of one of the major advantages of the SkyCamp (Ikamper) but when you camp with people that have normal softshell RTTs you immediately see the difference. The Ikamper be set up before the others can even get their cover un-velcroed or unzipped.
Is it worth the extra cost? Do you drive long distances to camp or leave the tent on the truck? YES its worth it.

Reactions: OdessaUA

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Terrific design, certainly pushes the traditional canvas RTT out IMO. Haven’t been convinced on an RTT as yet, weight and pack up are a factor for me. Despite our mostly overlanding overnight style - we do also like to claim a campsite and then go out exploring - occasionally.... obviously a challenge if you have nothing to literally stake ones claim! The iKamper looks like good kit however. Especially the 2x
If you dont need the extra room I think the 2x would be awesome.

I will be adding some racks to my utility trailer to mount the tent to for extended campsite visits. Like heading to the lake and locations where I set base camp.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Despite our mostly overlanding overnight style - we do also like to claim a campsite and then go out exploring - occasionally.... obviously a challenge if you have nothing to literally stake ones claim!
I have thought about bringing along a small, cheap pop-up tent for that very purpose of staking my claim!

The Mattress is holding up great and lots of people say its great, but I think they are lying. It leaves ALOT to be desired. Its ok for someone that's really tired and basically passes out after a long day but if you are looking for a relaxing night sleep you have to add something. I am a side sleeper and I'm big 300# so 1.25" very squishy foam is basically like laying on a piece of fabric. I have a 2-week trip planned in September and I will be ditching the factory mattress for an Exped Megamat Duo before then. I will also be gluing 1/2" closed cell exercise mat to the floor for extra insulation.
I have heard the new ones come with a slightly thicker mattress.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have thought about bringing along a small, cheap pop-up tent for that very purpose of staking my claim!.
Bah! I met someone who brought 4 hiking tents along on a trip to claim a huge space by surrounding themselves with said tents. Cheeky, but to hell with carrying more camping gear than needed.

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

I have thought about bringing along a small, cheap pop-up tent for that very purpose of staking my claim!

I have heard the new ones come with a slightly thicker mattress.
The 2x can use a thicker mattress because it doesn’t have the folding portion like the Skycamp. The Mega Mat Duo is 4.5” Inflated ans I think would be the perfect mattress.