IKamper Skycamp Roof Top Tent

• HTML tutorial

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I'll measure my Skycamp mattress next time. I've been told the density is improved too. I agree, the Megamat is very comfortable. But will require additional time to inflate/deflate.... so IMO, less than perfect for me.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I have one of the early runs of the Skycamp and I immediately had to upgrade the mattress. I didn’t want to have to inflate and deflate as well so my option was to find better quality foam. I ended up getting 2 pieces of high quality foam custom cut to match the iKamper mattress size (76”x48” main floor and 72”x32” wing floor). I upped the thickness to 1.5” too.

Also put Thermarest .6” Solite pads between the mattress and floor which nets me a 2” mattress overall. Completely happy with the setup now.

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

I have one of the early runs of the Skycamp and I immediately had to upgrade the mattress. I didn’t want to have to inflate and deflate as well so my option was to find better quality foam. I ended up getting 2 pieces of high quality foam custom cut to match the iKamper mattress size (76”x48” main floor and 72”x32” wing floor). I upped the thickness to 1.5” too.

Also put Thermarest .6” Solite pads between the mattress and floor which nets me a 2” mattress overall. Completely happy with the setup now.
Do you had any trouble to close your tent? Your configuration (mattress + Thermarest) have 1,5" in total?

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Do you had any trouble to close your tent? Your configuration (mattress + Thermarest) have 1,5" in total?
I don’t have trouble closing our tent up. The total thickness of the mattress and Thermarest nets about 2”. I roll up our 2 Snow Peak bags and 4 camp pillows and push it to the the hinge side and it closes fine. Pics for reference:2291518F-10CB-4CAE-B7C2-12C7CCDA6388.jpeg915AAE5E-D27A-4EFE-ABE8-38AAF8F81BCA.jpeg

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

It looks perfect! Great solution to have some comfort on your tent!
Tks!

I don’t have trouble closing our tent up. The total thickness of the mattress and Thermarest nets about 2”. I roll up our 2 Snow Peak bags and 4 camp pillows and push it to the the hinge side and it closes fine. Pics for reference:View attachment 62914View attachment 62915
looks perfect!

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

Just got back from our first family outing with our Skycamper. Lots of good: plenty of space for the family. Annex room adds lots of space for kid gear and even some of my own stuff. Setup and take down super quick and easy.

The anex room is where I am not entirely sure I like the design. We had LOTS of condensation. Based upon the design the only way to get sufficient air circulation is to leave one side entirely open - screen closed but the tent side rolled up.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a better mechanism to fight condensation.

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Hi Skycampers! I'm looking for a Skycamp roof top tent. Could you tell me your impressions about Skycamp? What is the best/worst about it? Is it a really trustful roof top tent, specially on cold wethers?

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

So with any poly tent you are going to get condensation, you just have to keep air moving through it.
So, your tent was made by "poly cotton canvas" or "poly 250D"? On my research I concluded the first one is better for prevent condensation, isn't it?

BigT

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

I have been kicking around upgrading to the ikamper for its ease of use. My Tepui is set up on top of my rig and even unzipping the cover is difficult let along getting it back on. Is it possible to mount a rack on the ikamper for a surf board, or will the struts not allow the extra weight?

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

I have been kicking around upgrading to the ikamper for its ease of use. My Tepui is set up on top of my rig and even unzipping the cover is difficult let along getting it back on. Is it possible to mount a rack on the ikamper for a surf board, or will the struts not allow the extra weight?
The struts could be upgraded very easy but that’s not he issue. The ikamper has a fairly thin double wall fiberglass lid with no structure to support weight on top of it.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I have the Poly-Cotton version of the Skycamp. I think they discontinued the Poly250D. My number one complaint about the tent is it's breathability. If you take close look at the tent, all the black nylon material is not breathable including what is over the two windows. Only "brown" canvas is breathable (or semi-breathable). The top of the tent is poly-canvas but it is covered in nylon which make it non-breathable.

If I was designing this tent, I'd get rid of all the non-breathable nylon, get rid of the clear- plastic sunroof, and use only breathable canvas or poly canvas. The two side windows should roll down vs roll up (like most Autohome tents). Better for privacy too. On my last trip, I unzipped the side windows for ventilation and the wind flapped the nylon material like crazy. I finally figured I could unzip the windows halfway and the roll the nylon windows up, secured in position by using clothes pins. Kinda ghetto but worked. Without the clothes pins, it is either fully open or fully closed.

image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
It’s not recommended to mount anything to the roof of the iKamper Skycamp. You may wanna wait for the iKamper XCover to come out. It will solve your current soft shell problems and allow you to mount gear on top of it.

Reactions: tundraconvert

tundraconvert

Rank 0

Traveler I

It’s not recommended to mount anything to the roof of the iKamper Skycamp. You may wanna wait for the iKamper XCover to come out. It will solve your current soft shell problems and allow you to mount gear on top of it.
What is the XCover? Can you elaborate? I haven't heard of it.
Thanks.

On a side note, I just purchased the Skycamp and will be using with the family next week. I will try and post up observations.