Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I know id be back like a shot. In a financially perfect world id drive there in my Defender 90. Id drag along @Neil Q Smith as a local expert and tour guide. I loved iceland when we visited last year
Thanks a lot Keith for your kind comment - nice of you to keep me in mind.

Actually, despite total unemployment and ever mounting bills, I am in the early planning stages for of our next Iceland Adventure.
I may have to do some radical "crowd funding" (i.e. begging) to make this happen, but I am determined not to let unemployment kill my dreams....
More on this later, when I get the initial plan in place.

When we plan our next Iceland Adventure, I will generate a "Rally Point" notice within OB, and see who else is up for adventure.
Maybe you can take your Defender (ferry to Denmark, then ferry to Iceland with us...)

Take care and greeting from Norway
Cheers
Neil :)

Reactions: Itacal

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Wow! I would love to do those kinds of expeditions in Iceland. My wife and I were there in 2017 and 2019, for about two weeks each time. We have driven the Ring Road and the Western Ring Road, and many parts in between, some F-roads. We rented a small 4WD SUV both times, nothing I would be comfortable taking too far off the beaten path. Car rentals are so expensive in Iceland and, then, the price of fuel is insane, compared to what we pay in the United States. I wanted to rent something larger last trip, but it was too prohibitively expensive. Still, it is our favorite place on earth and, if I ever do win the lottery, I plan to overland Iceland for as long as possible, until they throw me out of the country. Then, I plan to buy as much Risbuff as I can fit in my bags and come home to the United States until they let me back in the country and I will do it all over again.
I think from the sound of it, Iceland requires your visit again
Next time doing the real adventure stuff.....

It's also my favourite place on earth - hence my regular expedition returns

Let me know if you need any advice on where to go, next time you plan to visit Iceland

Cheers

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Let me know if you need any advice on where to go, next time you plan to visit Iceland

Cheers
There would be no hesitation from me to head straight up there. The ONLY thing preventing me from doing so is money. Youre my 1st point of contact for expert advice / company etc for a future Iceland visit

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

There would be no hesitation from me to head straight up there. The ONLY thing preventing me from doing so is money. Youre my 1st point of contact for expert advice / company etc for a future Iceland visit
Then we have a common problem - lack of money.....

I am working on a plan to generate some of the cash needed, via "ebay" sales (called www.Finn.no in Norway) - its getting off to a good start.
However, I will be seeking some kind of "crowd funding" later (begging for small cash donations, which if there is enough positive response, may prove to be a life saver for the dream.)

Will let you know when the ball starts rolling for our next Iceland adventure
probably a new website in the near future...

Cheers

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ

Cheers
I don't know when, but yes, I will definitely be returning again ... and again, and again, and again. I will definitely reach out the next time we go. We did all the tourist stuff the first time. We did stuff that was off the beaten track the second time around. From here on out, it will be wild Iceland we go back to see!

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I wish I could visit Iceland, but I need a reliable and capable 4x4 first and those are really expensive.
Hei Joey

How's it going ?
Any new car on the horizon ?
Will let you know when our next Iceland project is underway - maybe new website in near future :)
Then you need to drop by and catch up
Cheers

BJ_OTR

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fountain Valley, Ca
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Mekpongsatorn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREZ604
I have driven a lot around Iceland over the last 15 years, and organised 2 Arctic Trucks Expeditions from Norway to Iceland during summer 2015 (www.ice2015.no) and summer 2017 (www.ice2017.no).

I have a lot of maps, tracking data, books, info, photos, videos, etc., etc.... from my extensive travels to Iceland (been travelling there since 1978).

Would be happy to share information about routes, roads, campsites, hostels, equipment, expectations, suggestions, requirements, etc., to anyone who is planning an Iceland adventure in the future.

I don't have a lot of winter driving experience there yet, just one winter season, but I hope to improve upon this in the near future.

Feel free to contact me - Happy to help & share.

Cheers

View attachment 32276
Wow, I’m heading there the end of next month. We are renting a camper for 6 nights and hope to drive around the whole island . Any tips you can give on camping spots would be awesome!!!
cheers!!!!

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Wow, I’m heading there the end of next month. We are renting a camper for 6 nights and hope to drive around the whole island . Any tips you can give on camping spots would be awesome!!!
cheers!!!!
Hei Bert

Good to hear from you.

Excellent - a week in Iceland during late winter / early spring - Sounds great !!!

First of all, your route will dictate where your potential campsites will be - and your route will very much depend upon the weather in Iceland (which is highly unpredictable at the best of times...whatever time of year)
Not all roads are open or accessible during this period, unless you are a fully dedicated 4x4 with snorkel (river crossings) and compressor (reinflate tyres after adventure...) and seek the high risk adventures
Take a look at the Icelandic Meteorological Office (IMO) website
and the Icelandic Road and Coastal Authority to see which roads are open / closed due to snow & ice (updated regularly).
Both websites are invaluable...

You say you are renting a camper, so I guess you are looking for the more "plug & play" campsites, which offer better facilities and electric, etc.
Due to the style of expeditions we do, we also camp in the less obvious / remote campsites.

Most "obvious" campsites are located near or on hringvegurinn (Ring Road 1), or near major tourist sights.
They are usually well organised, with toilet huts, water and electic, shared cooking facilities, etc.
However, Iceland is more "raw" than some other parts of the world, so you may find the facilities "basic" even at the better campsites.

If you like swimming, there are lots of great places to swim, and commonly close to campsites.
They are a great way to relax after a days trip - usually very hot water form local geothermal areas - the hot pots are wonderful.

Some campsites have a small "office" where you pay.
But a lot have no office, with just someone coming around in the evening or morning to collect the fees.
The fees are usually not so expensive (but I live in Norway, where absolutely everything is expensive...)

Not knowing your itinery or route doesn't allow me to be specific about campsites, but I can help later, if I know where you intend to visit :)

Top tip - Take sensibe winter clothing - Iceland can be very, very cold that time of year.
Sensible walking boots when not driving.

If you are not used to driving on snow and icy roads, I suggest you take it easy, and never push yourself whilst driving.
We are used to driving on compacted snow and ice roads over here, but it can really catch you out if you are not used to it.
Most car accidents in Iceland are tourists - a lot of these accidents are due to inexperience on loose dirt / gravel roads and / or Snow & Icy roads.

Visit our last Iceland website: www.ice2017.no - There is a lot of useful info, maps, links, travel blogs, etc.

Good luck with your trip :)
And if you fancy a quick and funny Icelandic Lesson, watch this "inspired by Iceland" Tourism Video: The Hardest Karaoke Song in the World!

Cheers

Reactions: BJ_OTR

BJ_OTR

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fountain Valley, Ca
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Mekpongsatorn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREZ604
Hei Bert

Good to hear from you.

Excellent - a week in Iceland during late winter / early spring - Sounds great !!!

First of all, your route will dictate where your potential campsites will be - and your route will very much depend upon the weather in Iceland (which is highly unpredictable at the best of times...whatever time of year)
Not all roads are open or accessible during this period, unless you are a fully dedicated 4x4 with snorkel (river crossings) and compressor (reinflate tyres after adventure...) and seek the high risk adventures
Take a look at the Icelandic Meteorological Office (IMO) website
and the Icelandic Road and Coastal Authority to see which roads are open / closed due to snow & ice (updated regularly).
Both websites are invaluable...

You say you are renting a camper, so I guess you are looking for the more "plug & play" campsites, which offer better facilities and electric, etc.
Due to the style of expeditions we do, we also camp in the less obvious / remote campsites.

Most "obvious" campsites are located near or on hringvegurinn (Ring Road 1), or near major tourist sights.
They are usually well organised, with toilet huts, water and electic, shared cooking facilities, etc.
However, Iceland is more "raw" than some other parts of the world, so you may find the facilities "basic" even at the better campsites.

If you like swimming, there are lots of great places to swim, and commonly close to campsites.
They are a great way to relax after a days trip - usually very hot water form local geothermal areas - the hot pots are wonderful.

Some campsites have a small "office" where you pay.
But a lot have no office, with just someone coming around in the evening or morning to collect the fees.
The fees are usually not so expensive (but I live in Norway, where absolutely everything is expensive...)

Not knowing your itinery or route doesn't allow me to be specific about campsites, but I can help later, if I know where you intend to visit :)

Top tip - Take sensibe winter clothing - Iceland can be very, very cold that time of year.
Sensible walking boots when not driving.

If you are not used to driving on snow and icy roads, I suggest you take it easy, and never push yourself whilst driving.
We are used to driving on compacted snow and ice roads over here, but it can really catch you out if you are not used to it.
Most car accidents in Iceland are tourists - a lot of these accidents are due to inexperience on loose dirt / gravel roads and / or Snow & Icy roads.

Visit our last Iceland website: www.ice2017.no - There is a lot of useful info, maps, links, travel blogs, etc.

Good luck with your trip :)
And if you fancy a quick and funny Icelandic Lesson, watch this "inspired by Iceland" Tourism Video: The Hardest Karaoke Song in the World!

Cheers
Awesome Neil, thanks for all that information. We usually like camping in remote spots as well. But seeing as we are renting a camper (that is not allowed on f roads) we will be sticking to the tourists spots this time of year. We’re hoping to come back again when the highlands are open so we can explore properly. Thanks again my friend!

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Awesome Neil, thanks for all that information. We usually like camping in remote spots as well. But seeing as we are renting a camper (that is not allowed on f roads) we will be sticking to the tourists spots this time of year. We’re hoping to come back again when the highlands are open so we can explore properly. Thanks again my friend!
No worries mate :)
Always happy to help.

Will let you know when our next Iceland Expedition plans start - probably with new website..soon

Wishing you a safe and exciting trip !!!
Cheers

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Neil,

Sounds good!

I made a trip to iceland nine years ago which was great! Would like to go again. Maybe in winter.

Are you planning a summer or winter trip? What is your time horizon for the next Iceland trip, 2021 or later??

Cheers, Bjoern

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hi Neil,

Sounds good!

I made a trip to iceland nine years ago which was great! Would like to go again. Maybe in winter.

Are you planning a summer or winter trip? What is your time horizon for the next Iceland trip, 2021 or later??

Cheers, Bjoern
Hei Bjoern
Good to hear from you :)
I was hoping to go this summer 2020, but that has not been finalized.
I lost my job 3 years ago, when oil price slumped, and most of us Oil & Gas contractors were sent home to wait....and wait....and wait....
Now when I apply for jobs, I am either too old at 57, too overqualified with PhD, or too experienced (therefore expensive...)
Therefore, my readily available cash for trips has dried up to zero.
Receive zero income / benefits from Norway state either....
I still keep the plans and ideas flowing with my regular expedition pals, but it's frustrating not having the money to make things happen.
I am selling hundreds of items on Norway ebay equivalent (www.finn.no) but the sales are slow and for small amounts of money (pocket money, rather than large funds).
Having said all this, I push myself to remain positive and keep focus on the dream.
We have done both winter and summer trips to Iceland in the past - not sure what we will choose next time - maybe a winter trip ?
Probably for a 4-6 weeks trip (once you are there, no point rushing home).
We may generate a new website soon, to officially start the process for the next trip, and seek sponsors and supporters - will let you know when it's live.
I see you are based in Germany :)
Did you take your own vehicle to Iceland last time (via Smyril line from Denmark)?
Are you planning a trip over there soon ?
Cheers

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Did you take your own vehicle to Iceland last time (via Smyril line from Denmark)?
Are you planning a trip over there soon ?
Hi Neil,

Yes, went wit the ferry from Danmark via Faroer to iceland and back.

Will definetly not go this year, because I will do some other trips. But maybe 2021 - don´t know yet.

Bjoern

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I lived in Iceland for many years and still have lots of friends who are willing to help anyone planning trips.
I believe it. After spending four weeks in Iceland, during the past two years, perhaps the best thing I can say about Iceland (and there are many great things in and about Iceland) is that Icelanders are the most generous and genuine people you will ever meet, even to complete strangers!

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Do you ship your vehicles there? Wife and I have wanted to go to Iceland for some time. Always figured we'd rent a car to explore.
If this is still on your bucket list, we just got back from a week trip in June and rented a "Happy Camper" and went all the way around the island. so much to see and after you do the outer ring road then you all can think about shipping your rig over to do the F roads but it is a must do trip.

Reactions: Boucher

jonAeschimann

Rank I

Contributor III

Valais, Switzerland
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Aeschimann
Hey Guys,

Nice to find some people talking about Overlanding in Iceland ^^
I'm a bit surprised to not find a lot of info regarding the beauty of doing it ;)

I'm planning 3 weeks (August-september 2022), with my GF and my Jeep Wrangler 4xe. I will add my experience here during the 2-day come-back trip on the ferry ;)
We will be alone and I have some experience of off-road driving in the Swiss Alps. Veeeeery steep and rocky roads in summary.

To prepare the best I can, I'm focusing on security, rescuing, and comfort.

In summary: sand recovery boards (2), exhaust jack & bottle jack, compressor, water tank (20l), Gasoil tank (20l), propane (5kg), snorkel. I will install the bed inside of the vehicle directly, with a fridge as well.

I have a few questions for you guys:
- Do you have a few F-roads to propose as 1st intro to off-roading in Iceland (small-medium river crossing mainly)?
- Where can you and cannot go with a stock Wrangler? Hard question but more to have your feeling about it based on the Jeep, my experience and we are alone.

I'm planning to add a 2'' lift kit and 35'' tires.
Do you think it really adds value to the peace of mind to drive in Iceland?

Because it impacts the ferry... The limit is 1.9m, my stock wrangler is 1.85! Nice! less than 1000euros for the round trip.

If I'm doing the upgrade, 2'' lift kit + 1'' of tires, I get ~ 75mm than a total of 1.925 m. 25mm above the limit, and an extra 1000 euro for the round trip!!!
Then my question is, 25mm is in the margin of the ferry? or 1.9 is 1.9... I ask Smyrilline about that and they said there is a hydraulic deck and it risks damaging my car...
I have a hard time thinking that there doesn't have a least 10cm of margin in this kind of ferry.
Do you have any experience with vehicle checks during onboarding?

Looking forward to reading you and share my future experience with you =)

Best,

John

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I will take a try at this

1. To prepare the best I can, I'm focusing on security, rescuing, and comfort.

* Security really isn't an issue in Iceland, I would focus more on rescue recovery and Comfort also a good sat service

2. In summary: sand recovery boards (2), exhaust jack & bottle jack, compressor, water tank (20l), Gasoil tank (20l), propane (5kg), snorkel. I will install the bed inside of the vehicle directly, with a fridge as well.
* All good items

3. I have a few questions for you guys:
-Do you have a few F-roads to propose as 1st intro to off-roading in Iceland (small-medium river crossing mainly)?

* Rivers run based on the weather, morning water crossings are prob best for crossings as summer heat melts the ice and snow and afternoons the rivers are higher

- Where can you and cannot go with a stock Wrangler? Hard question but more to have your feeling about it based on the Jeep, my experience and we are alone.

* My vehicle, while I lived in Iceland, was a stock 74 bronco with 6 cyl used it 2 summers exploring and crossing rivers later I Lifted it 3 inches on 33 inch tires and went everywhere on the island

I'm planning to add a 2'' lift kit and 35'' tires.

*Good combo

Do you think it really adds value to the peace of mind to drive in Iceland?

*Yes

Because it impacts the ferry... The limit is 1.9m, my stock wrangler is 1.85! Nice! less than 1000euros for the round trip.

If I'm doing the upgrade, 2'' lift kit + 1'' of tires, I get ~ 75mm than a total of 1.925 m. 25mm above the limit, and an extra 1000 euro for the round trip!!!
Then my question is, 25mm is in the margin of the ferry? or 1.9 is 1.9... I ask Smyrilline about that and they said there is a hydraulic deck and it risks damaging my car...
I have a hard time thinking that there doesn't have a least 10cm of margin in this kind of ferry.

no experience with the ferrys

I would say have

- Tire repair kits
- Watch your fuel
- Carry spare fluids for the vehicle
- Ensure a good way to communicate to the outside world aka sat plan,
- Bring a variety of different clothing weather changes within minutes can be really warm one sec and 5 min later snowing.
- Also, make sure always park into the wind, or your doors may bend in the opposite direction
- Don't speed and DO NOT hit any sheep on the roads

Hope that helps

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

no experience with the ferrys
Perhaps just airing down your tires prior to boarding would get you well within the limits.