Iceland Overlanding / Expeditions - Shared Experience

• You may have noticed, things have changed round here! If you would like more information about the recent changes, please visit this post:

Software & Migration Update

• Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!

Neil Q Smith

Rank V

Advocate III

Sandnes, Norway
Member #

I have driven a lot around Iceland over the last 15 years, and organised 2 Arctic Trucks Expeditions from Norway to Iceland during summer 2015 (www.ice2015.no) and summer 2017 (www.ice2017.no).

I have a lot of maps, tracking data, books, info, photos, videos, etc., etc.... from my extensive travels to Iceland (been travelling there since 1978).

Would be happy to share information about routes, roads, campsites, hostels, equipment, expectations, suggestions, requirements, etc., to anyone who is planning an Iceland adventure in the future.

I don't have a lot of winter driving experience there yet, just one winter season, but I hope to improve upon this in the near future.

Feel free to contact me - Happy to help & share.

Cheers
Neil :)

20287038_1207449606065860_9211801097558771561_o.jpg

Reactions: Joey83

Joey83

Rank VI
Benefactor

Advocate III

Sandnes, Norge
Member #

Winter driving in our part of Norway is easy!

I've been doing it since 2003/2004 and have not had any problems when driving this far south.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V

Advocate III

Sandnes, Norway
Member #

Do you ship your vehicles there? Wife and I have wanted to go to Iceland for some time. Always figured we'd rent a car to explore.
Hei

Yes, we shipped them from Norway to Iceland on the Smyril Line Ferry, which operates from Faroe Islands, to Denmark and Iceland.
Had to take a separate ferry from Norway to Denmark to catch this...
It's a 2 day trip each way (Denmark-Faroes-Iceland), but it's nice to go with your own vehicle, and take whatever you wish and need.

You can of course also ship them via containers, which takes a few weeks to process, from hand-over to final collection.
I know a few friends who have done it from Norway to Iceland.
It's not that expensive, but they have experienced theft form the vehicle whilst in transit, which they find hard to make insurance claims for afterwards (word of warning).

Renting a quality 4x4 in Iceland is SUPER EXPENSIVE.
Be prepared to spend a lot of money if you plan a trip this way.
Iceland has become very expensive (even for Norwegians !!!)

But, if you do get to Iceland, and drive the F-Roads (Mountain Passes / Gravel Roads) the results can be significantly rewarding !!!
And the drives are also vey interesting and challenging at times, especially the multiple river crossings.......

DSC_0123-1024x681.jpg

Good Luck with your future Iceland Planning.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help or advice.
Cheers

Neil Q Smith

Rank V

Advocate III

Sandnes, Norway
Member #

I belive he did, the silver truck has norwegian plates on it. :)

I want to visit Iceland myself someday.
Hei Joey
Thanks for helping with your reply :)
I have just sent him a full reply, explaining options and costs.
Iceland is a great place to visit, but very expensive....
Cheers

Neil Q Smith

Rank V

Advocate III

Sandnes, Norway
Member #

Hei Keith

Nice photo mate...….glad you are over there now and enjoying Iceland...…….and showing off the cool OB T-Shirt :)

Looking forward to more inspiration Iceland photos

Cheers