First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Here's a question for all you out there:

What kind of radio communications are you using on the trail? I've used CB radios for years/decades (have them in three of my current 4x4 vehicles), but lately GMRS seems to be becoming the norm. I have a portable radio that covers GMRS frequencies in my Jeep (with an external antenna), and I used it on my last couple of group overlanding trips. I've never had issues with either one honestly.

Antenna.1.jpg

So is anyone still using CB radio? No license required for CB (I remember when we did though). GMRS you've gotta buy a license (good for ten years but no test required). I don't expect folks to go out and get a ham license.

We need to pick one (CB or GMRS) for this TAT trip, and I'd like to specify which one we're using when I post the Rally Point.

Last edited:
Reactions: NØMAD

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Like you I've used CB for years and that's what I have. I did get my ham license this year but don't have a radio.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@armyRN i run CB/Ham and listen to GMRS, I have full HF capabilities as well.

I’m looking this trip over, and I am very excited for you. The Northwest Overland Rally is going to be early fall of 2021. (This is coming from information Roger gave me.). The Northwest Overland Bound CampOut is going to be May 28-31st if we ever get out of Covid Jail.

I mention all of this because I am very interested, but at this point in time can’t commit because of a few other things going on in my life at the moment that would have to take priority to a long trip. But I’m fallowing a long in case my original plans fall through.

Reactions: DevilDodge

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well I ran this idea past my wife for a backup plan for the summer... she kindly reminded me I have other obligations at the end of June, so I won’t be able to make the trip...

• Sad

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
@armyRN i run CB/Ham and listen to GMRS, I have full HF capabilities as well.

I’m looking this trip over, and I am very excited for you. The Northwest Overland Rally is going to be early fall of 2021. (This is coming from information Roger gave me.). The Northwest Overland Bound CampOut is going to be May 28-31st if we ever get out of Covid Jail.

I mention all of this because I am very interested, but at this point in time can’t commit because of a few other things going on in my life at the moment that would have to take priority to a long trip. But I’m fallowing a long in case my original plans fall through.
Thank-you for confirming what I suspected about the NWOR dates. I will get the Rally Point up for this TAT trip shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok... The rally point for the TAT trip is posted! We're starting 12 June 2021 in WV and ending on the OR coast. Let's do this!

Link: Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast - Overland Bound

M Rose - if you would be so kind to look-it-over (the Rally Point I posted) to make sure I did it right I'd appreciate it (and make sure folks can register). For region I put down the PNW even thought we're starting on the eastern side of the US (but we're ending in the PNW). I didn't have a "North America" option.

Last edited:

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

CatButt had some good pointers above. Tools are good. Bring what you think you need but don't bring every tool known to man. Tools are another area you can go expensive on (Snap-On and such), or just get a good set at Harbor Freight and be done with it. I will have tools. But if there's a specialty tool specific to your vehicle (like a certain hub socket) it wouldn't hurt to own one and have it with you.

I'd like a Safe Jack Bottle Jack kit (someday), but so far what I've got works. If you don't think your factory jack is up to the task or is missing, check out Safe Jack.

I didn't mention a first-aid kit as a requirement, but I'd hope everyone has one in their vehicle.

Speaking of medical stuff (help me out here nOmad)...

If you're doing this trip with us solo and you have a medical condition (diabetes, seizures, cardiac history, etc.) let me know about it before we hit the trail. I don't need all the details. And have some sort of PRINTED OUT abbreviated medical chart/record with you with a basic history (medical and surgical), list of medications, and a point-of-contact to notify along with your main physician's contact info. And keep it in the glove box where we can find it. So if something happens to you out in the middle of nowhere and we need to get you help, we'll have something to go-by to tell the EMS or hospital. Doesn't do us any good if all the info is on your phone and you're passed-out and we know nothing.
Thanks @armyRN on the considerations and moderation suggestions with the gear. I'll keep it in check.

GREAT advice on the medical history for the glove box. Put it in an envelope, write your name and "in case of emergency" on the outside and then seal it up....

A few essentials elements of information should be in there:
1. Your first & last name
2. Your date of birth
3. Your home address
4. Emergency contact name & phone number
5. Copy of your medical insurance card
6. Past medical & surgical history (a simple list and years and type of any surgery)
7. Current medications and doses you take
8. Allergies to medications, foods, insects, etc
9. Copy of your living will (if you have one, which you should)
10. Copy of your driver's license

Let's all hope the envelopes do not get opened, and we all return better off for having been together. But if needed, this will be essential to making sure you get the right care. We'll be there to help.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thanks @armyRN on the considerations and moderation suggestions with the gear. I'll keep it in check.

GREAT advice on the medical history for the glove box. Put it in an envelope, write your name and "in case of emergency" on the outside and then seal it up....

A few essentials elements of information should be in there:
1. Your first & last name
2. Your date of birth
3. Your home address
4. Emergency contact name & phone number
5. Copy of your medical insurance card
6. Past medical & surgical history (a simple list and years and type of any surgery)
7. Current medications and doses you take
8. Allergies to medications, foods, insects, etc
9. Copy of your living will (if you have one, which you should)
10. Copy of your driver's license

Let's all hope the envelopes do not get opened, and we all return better off for having been together. But if needed, this will be essential to making sure you get the right care. We'll be there to help.
I updated the post I made on the Rally Point to include this information. And gave you credit for it. Thanks!

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Here's a question for all you out there:

What kind of radio communications are you using on the trail? I've used CB radios for years/decades (have them in three of my current 4x4 vehicles), but lately GMRS seems to be becoming the norm. I have a portable radio that covers GMRS frequencies in my Jeep (with an external antenna), and I used it on my last couple of group overlanding trips. I've never had issues with either one honestly.

View attachment 181383

So is anyone still using CB radio? No license required for CB (I remember when we did though). GMRS you've gotta buy a license (good for ten years but no test required). I don't expect folks to go out and get a ham license.

We need to pick one (CB or GMRS) for this TAT trip, and I'd like to specify which one we're using when I post the Rally Point.
GMRS or HAM for me... I guess I could get a CB if that's the group choice.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
GMRS or HAM for me... I guess I could get a CB if that's the group choice.
I put GMRS on the Rally Point as our communication method of choice.

Have you registered? I need someone to register to make sure I set-up the rally point correctly. Since I set-it-up, it already assumes I'm registered so I can't tell.

I just noted you did. Thanks!

Reactions: NØMAD

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Well I ran this idea past my wife for a backup plan for the summer... she kindly reminded me I have other obligations at the end of June, so I won’t be able to make the trip...
Couldn't you join in for the later part?

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Is there a way to make this event show up on other region's events pages? We're going pretty much from the east coast to the west coast. At least show up on the US East region's event page?
I was just thinking about that very same thing. It's a feature I've requested more than once, but don't think it's come to fruition.

@Kent R Have there been any developments? We really need a way to cross post this RP between multiple regions.
Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast - Overland Bound

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Ok... The rally point for the TAT trip is posted! We're starting 12 June 2021 in WV and ending on the OR coast. Let's do this!

Link: Running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from WV to the OR coast - Overland Bound

M Rose - if you would be so kind to look-it-over (the Rally Point I posted) to make sure I did it right I'd appreciate it (and make sure folks can register). For region I put down the PNW even thought we're starting on the eastern side of the US (but we're ending in the PNW). I didn't have a "North America" option.
I'm currently "Rejuvenating" my 92 Hilux for what was intended to be a solo TAT run in June '21, but open to sharing the adventure. I am flexible with start dates, and end dates (I factored 6 weeks round trip). I live in Central NC, so, if we can make it work, I could meet up in Western NC. I'm in the very early stages of mapping, but I believe the trail passes very near Maggie Valley, NC, where I intended to jump on. If not, I can make adjustments. We might split ways at the "Shadow of the Rockies" portion, but I may be persuaded to go that route depending on difficulty ( my truck won't be set up to do the "red" options). I do plan to do the Pacific Ocean Spur.

I'm manually mapping out routes in GAIA, pulling from GPS Kevin's website (which includes some, if not all of Sam's route). I'll break down and buy Sam's files if required. But, the additional GPS Kevin routes might provide some handy alternates to Sam's route.

I'll register and add some background info as you requested.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I'm currently "Rejuvenating" my 92 Hilux for what was intended to be a solo TAT run in June '21, but open to sharing the adventure. I am flexible with start dates, and end dates (I factored 6 weeks round trip). I live in Central NC, so, if we can make it work, I could meet up in Western NC. I'm in the very early stages of mapping, but I believe the trail passes very near Maggie Valley, NC, where I intended to jump on. If not, I can make adjustments. We might split ways at the "Shadow of the Rockies" portion, but I may be persuaded to go that route depending on difficulty ( my truck won't be set up to do the "red" options). I do plan to do the Pacific Ocean Spur.

I'm manually mapping out routes in GAIA, pulling from GPS Kevin's website (which includes some, if not all of Sam's route). I'll break down and buy Sam's files if required. But, the additional GPS Kevin routes might provide some handy alternates to Sam's route.

I'll register and add some background info as you requested.
Sounds good.

I'm planning on sticking with Sam's official TAT maps and routes to keep everyone on the same track and minimize confusion. But yes, other routes might come in handy if we needed to detour for whatever reason.

I had to make the call about whether we do the Shadow of the Rockies or keep going an skip Colorado. Both options have their perks, but in the end I picked the Shadow route for us. We may have more than one vehicle that keeps going and doesn't do the Shadow portion, so you still might not be going solo.

You're only about 6hrs from where we'll be starting out in WV. Are you sure you don't want to get in from the beginning?

It'll be fun, and quite the adventure!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We might split ways at the "Shadow of the Rockies" portion, but I may be persuaded to go that route depending on difficulty ( my truck won't be set up to do the "red" options). I do plan to do the Pacific Ocean Spur.
To the best of my knowledge the Shadow route is easier (for the most part) than continuing straight. There is one rocky section on Tincup Pass that will slow you down for a bit. I've been over it in my stock full size Chevy and would do it again. Last year we had a stock Jeep Commander on street tires with us. It might have been a little harder than he wanted, but he came through it unscathed. This whole trail can be easily bypassed by taking beautiful Cottonwood Pass.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Couldn't you join in for the later part?
The last part of the trip is when I have my prior commitments... from June 1st through the 18th I’m free, then the rest of the month is full.
Trip end date is estimated at JULY 31. There's four weeks for ya! I was hoping you could hop on in CO. :)

Reactions: M Rose