Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Yup. Make it happen. Would definitely be an adventure of a lifetime.

Block off those days, prep your vehicle, get your gear, and lets do this.

How can we help you?
Awesome! Working on the list of equipment and supplies. Have a 2020 4Runner ORP, that is stock at the moment. Have rock-sliders ordered. Not exactly sure what to prioritize for the vehicle prep...and appreciate suggestions.

My background is in emergency medicine, so happy to support the medical needs of the trip.

Thank you. -Scott

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Sure. Let's see if we can work something out. Colorado is one of the states I'm really looking forward to visiting on this trip.

I'll decide on a WV departure date sometime in January and will post it so others can plan if they want to join me. I'm a lil' bit leaning towards the 12 June WV TAT departure date so by the time we get to CO the passes are clear. You'd probably know better than me (TELL ME) when these passes are generally open (Mid June? Late June?).

The other thing is, I don't know how long it will take to get to get to Buena Vista once we start in WV. The TAT folks toss-out 200 miles/day, but that's based on an 0700 - 1800 driving days, and that was on motorcycles. So 4x4's (especially if we have a group) I'm thinking it might be closer to 100 - 150 miles/day (off the top-of-my-head). Depends on the terrain and such of course and how many kittens I'm trying to herd. I'm having a hard time figuring out how many miles it is from the start in WV to the Shadow of the Rockies turn-off.
When I originally cautioned you about the Colorado Passes being open I was overlooking your plans to do the Shadow route. Since you're not doing the stretch that includes the Passes around Lake City and Ouray it's not nearly as big of a concern. As best as I can tell, the only pass that may be an issue is Tincup Pass and you'll have a beautiful highway bypass of Cottonwood Pass. I suspect that Tincup will be at the top of the list on the rockiest of trails you'll encounter.

I've been coordinating the June Jam in Buena Vista the last couple years for a couple reasons. The first is that it's only a couple hours drive for most of us on the front range of CO. The other is that it has a lot of fun mild trails that are already open if the high elevation trails aren't. I do it in June in order to save July - Sept for trips to places like Ouray to give them time to melt out. Given the choice between Ouray and Buena Vista, however, I would choose Ouray hands down.

I mention all of this because, in my opinion, Ouray, CO and Moab, UT are two of the crown jewels of the TAT route. If you can figure a way to include these portions (even if you miss the Buena Vista event) I highly recommend you do so. (I must mention though that while the weather in CO will be great at that time, Moab will be getting quite warm.) These two areas have so many great off-road travel options that there are many variations to the TAT route in those areas. Depending on which route you choose, these are some of the trails you could take:

Engineer Pass <--Click me
California Pass
Hurricane Pass
Corkscrew Pass
Ophir Pass
Imogene Pass
Black Bear Pass (Optional Side Trip)

Long Canyon
Gemini Bridges

This is the main trail on Shadow that you'd miss:
Tincup Pass

But whatever you decide, I hope we're able to share at least a couple CO campfires!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Awesome! Working on the list of equipment and supplies. Have a 2020 4Runner ORP, that is stock at the moment. Have rock-sliders ordered. Not exactly sure what to prioritize for the vehicle prep...and appreciate suggestions.

My background is in emergency medicine, so happy to support the medical needs of the trip.

Thank you. -Scott
Awesome! I hope you come on board. My background is critical care nursing and trauma nursing (armyRN - get it?)

Vehicle prep. I haven't posted vehicle requirements yet, but they include:

4WD or AWD vehicle with decent ground clearance.

At least All Terrain tires in good repair with plenty of tread. Must have a MATCHING size spare tire in good repair on the same size rim as your other four tires. No temp spares as your primary spare. A plug kit, while nice to have, is not a substitute for a proper spare.

Dedicated tow strap attachment recovery points front and rear. I'm talking securely mounted tow hooks, tow rings, etc. front and rear. A 2" receiver counts as an attachment point. Those little wire loop thingies welded under the frame are not tow or recovery points. Sometimes tow hooks or recovery point thingies are a factory option - other times you need to go aftermarket for tow hooks and such. The best set-up vehicle sometimes needs a tug, or you're the one doing the tugging to help your fellow overlander.

Carry a spare fan belt for your vehicle. Or for an older vehicle, put on a new fan belt and save the old one as a spare (if it is in decent condition).

Carry a tow strap with looped ends (not metal hooks).

Radio for communication of course. GMRS seems to be in vogue now, but CB has worked for years. We just need to all be on the same wavelength (pun intended).

A way to air-down (I just use my tire gauge) and air-up tires. If it plugs into the cigarette lighter, it isn't heavy duty enough.

A jack that will lift any of your tires off the ground (check to see if your factory jack still works if you've lifted your vehicle).

That's about it for requirements. Notice I didn't say lockers, winches, way oversized tires, lifts, light bars, etc. were required. I might suggest a mild lift if you're itching to lift it, and if you're running open diffs it doesn't hurt to at least put a limited slip in one or both axles. A winch is always nice to have, but sometimes the winch itself is the least expensive part of putting a winch on a vehicle. You'll be with a group.

Comfort is important as you'll be in your vehicle driving over rough terrain for multiple days.

I hope this helps. Keep asking questions.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I will not be able to join in on this trek but I am following along rooting for the group to be able to complete this in 2021.

I love planning a trip and the satisfaction of making it happen.

I have followed along on @armyRN last trip also.

I hope your trips continue to happen into the future and someday I can join along for a section.

Maybe one of those will be north from WV and I will for sure lend my experience and my company.

Your giving me the itch to hit the outdoors. Hopefully my schedule clears out the next couple weekends.

This is the reason I joined OB. To get the knowledge of those who went before and to find like minded people to enjoy writing our own journey.

Sorry. Didn't intend to interrupt. Just wanted to express an interest and follow along.

Good luck.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Got a question. Once you do get the gps tracks and the departure date set do you think you will have a better idea of when you will be doing certain portions of the TAT? I think 2021 will the year I start doing electronic maps and gps magic.

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Awesome! I hope you come on board. My background is critical care nursing and trauma nursing (armyRN - get it?)

Vehicle prep. I haven't posted vehicle requirements yet, but they include:

4WD or AWD vehicle with decent ground clearance.

At least All Terrain tires in good repair with plenty of tread. Must have a MATCHING size spare tire in good repair on the same size rim as your other four tires. No temp spares as your primary spare. A plug kit, while nice to have, is not a substitute for a proper spare.

Dedicated tow strap attachment recovery points front and rear. I'm talking securely mounted tow hooks, tow rings, etc. front and rear. A 2" receiver counts as an attachment point. Those little wire loop thingies welded under the frame are not tow or recovery points. Sometimes tow hooks or recovery point thingies are a factory option - other times you need to go aftermarket for tow hooks and such. The best set-up vehicle sometimes needs a tug, or you're the one doing the tugging to help your fellow overlander.

Carry a spare fan belt for your vehicle. Or for an older vehicle, put on a new fan belt and save the old one as a spare (if it is in decent condition).

Carry a tow strap with looped ends (not metal hooks).

Radio for communication of course. GMRS seems to be in vogue now, but CB has worked for years. We just need to all be on the same wavelength (pun intended).

A way to air-down (I just use my tire gauge) and air-up tires. If it plugs into the cigarette lighter, it isn't heavy duty enough.

A jack that will lift any of your tires off the ground (check to see if your factory jack still works if you've lifted your vehicle).

That's about it for requirements. Notice I didn't say lockers, winches, way oversized tires, lifts, etc. were required. I might suggest a mild lift if you're itching to lift it, and if you're running open diffs it doesn't hurt to at least put a limited slip in one or both axles. A winch is always nice to have, but sometimes the winch itself is the least expensive part of putting a winch on a vehicle. You'll be with a group.

Comfort is important as you'll be in your vehicle driving over rough terrain for multiple days.

I hope this helps. Keep asking questions.
Thanks Paul - great to connect with another RN! (I've been a paramedic & RN since 1990...worked ED, ICU, helicopter etc.)

Appreciate the suggestions on what to have, as I run the list I think I have most of these already. My 4Runner is new (2020) and a stock build, so shouldn't need too much in way of maint (I hope).

I have:
Radio comms (ham & GMRS licensed), a full-size spare, recovery point rear, 30' tow-strap with looped ends, and the 4WD vehicle, GAIA GPS downloaded on iPad mini & iPhone.

I will check on/get:
Front recovery point, air-down device, air-up compressor, tire repair kit, spare fan belt.

Questions:
Do you recommend extra fuel can?
Do you recommend a Garmin inReach?
What about Maxtrax (or similar)?

That's all for now. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: DevilDodge

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Thanks Paul - great to connect with another RN! (I've been a paramedic & RN since 1990...worked ED, ICU, helicopter etc.)

Appreciate the suggestions on what to have, as I run the list I think I have most of these already. My 4Runner is new (2020) and a stock build, so shouldn't need too much in way of maint (I hope).

I have:
Radio comms (ham & GMRS licensed), a full-size spare, recovery point rear, 30' tow-strap with looped ends, and the 4WD vehicle, GAIA GPS downloaded on iPad mini & iPhone.

I will check on/get:
Front recovery point, air-down device, air-up compressor, tire repair kit, spare fan belt.

Questions:

Your Toyota 4Runner will be an excellent TAT vehicle. I would personally answer "yes" to your 3 questions. Planning to carry all of these .

Reactions: NØMAD

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC

I have:

Questions:
-HAM is great idea and for the most part easy to get. The license is a barrier to entry, but not an insurmountable one.
-Full size spare is a must...so either keep tire sizes close enough to stock to run a spare in stock location or commit to a swing-out carrier. Bonus is the swingout gives you some room for more fuel (mandatory IMHO) and to carry traction pads (mandatory) and many a neeato coffee/kitchen table (or cocktail preparation station...just sayin').
-I run an InReach and have since they first came out. Prior to that, we used PLB...I am USMC, swift water rescue, wilderness first responder, etc...and I have used a satellite communicator on more than one occasion. I think the InReach is the best consumer-grade product out there as I can send non-emergency messages as needed and folks that care can follow along with my travels easily. I have folks that watch for my progress and know what to do if my progress seems suspect and they have not heard from me. In Colorado and other states on the TAT or other trails you are gonna be WAY away from cell service and HAM repeaters and if you need help or just want someone to find you a NAPA or whatever, the InReach is a great way to do so. Get one, pick the right service plan for your needs and you will find yourself carrying it more than thought you would.
-Extra fuel is a must in my book.
-I run traction pads 80% of the time...I have only used them a few times in my life, likely could have gotten by without them, but I have loaned to them to folks on the trail or friends that used them way more than I. If you have room, take them, if not make room, if you can't make room then hope you don't need them.
-Tow strap AND a snatch strap...those are two different things that perform two different tasks. They can be used in conjunction. But get both. They are small enough and worth their weight. Get a couple of hard U-type shackles...but also get a couple of soft shackles too...much safer in almost all scenarios.
-I am sure you will have the first aid bit covered.
-Why not take a small camping water filter...just in case.
-Tools...take what you need. Do some repairs before you go, including a serpentine belt change and basic maintenance, and put those tools in your tool bag. Along with some wire and some bailing wire and some electrical pliers and Scotch Locks and fuses.
-Tire plug kit...don't worry about tire tools and patches for this trip unless you have the means to perform those repairs...not easy nor fun. You should be fine with just a plug kit.
-A GOOD bottle jack. Hilift jacks are cool, but there are times you need to get a wheel off, and a Hilift just won't work. I use Safe Jack bottle jack and I think they are smaller, lighter, and safer than a Hilift.
-A good compressor.

The list can go on...but this is basic stuff I carry 100% of the time in my vehicle (along with cold/wet gear and emergency sleeping stuff and dop kit). I can safely cross the country in remote areas equipped like this. It seems like a lot of stuff, but almost all of it can fit in a small tote, it is all quality stuff that will serve you well for years, and even if you never use any of it...it'd be better have it and not need it.

I will be following your dream trip, as it is one of mine, and it'd cool to meet up as you progress to the western states.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

I have:

I will check on/get:

Questions:

I have my HAM license too (KI7TSP). I have a CB and a little UV8R radio mounted on my Jeep's dash with an external antenna. It'll get all the GMRS frequencies (have my GMRS license too). Both will work. I'm not trying to scare folks off by making them think they need a lot of high-dollar items to run the TAT with a group.

To answer your questions:

Extra fuel? Always a good idea to have and extra few gallons. I've got a 5-gallon Jerry can on the back of both my Jeeps, have two 2.5 gallon Jerry cans on the trailer, and another three - four gallons in Kolpin fuel cans on the front of my trailer (either one 4-gallon cell, or two 1.5 gallon cells). Often one of the 1.5 gallon cells is pre-mixed chain saw gasoline 50:1 ratio.

Willys and trailer.6 (2).jpg

Garmin in-reach? I'm not too up on them. Don't go out and buy one just for this trip, but if you're looking for an excuse to convince the spouse you need one, then go for it. I'll back you up.

Maxtrax? I don't think you'll need them for this trip. But again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a set, go for it - now's the time. I've got two pair of X-Bulls (low-buck MaxTrax knock-offs) that I carry either on the roof of my TJ or they can go on the lid of my trailer (shown below). I'll have them on the TAT trip. Of the MaxTrax knock-offs, I think they're the best. $300/pair for MaxTrax; around $75/pair for the X-Bulls.

Arctic Trip.1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
A lot of folks read the Overlanding magazines, are on more than one Overlanding Forum, and see all the expensive vehicles and gear and might think "I've got to have all that to go overlanding". No you don't. I've listed what I consider the minimum vehicle requirements to do the TAT (or about any overlanding trip really; especially if not going solo). If you've got that and some half-way decent camping gear, you're good. You could outfit all your camping gear from WalMart and be ok. Come join us. The object is to get out there and have an adventure; not be trying to work overtime to afford expensive stuff that you won't have time to use. We're not trying to keep up with the overlanding-Joneses.

I'll admit it is fun to buy new stuff for Overlanding. But only buy it if you can afford it, and you'll actually use it. Keep it simple. See what other folks are using and ask them would they do it/get that again. You might be surprised what they tell you. I've got stuff I bought on impulse at Overlanding Expos and have yet to use it, or used it just once.

I've yet to figure out how a Tembo Tusk Skottle Grill (some folks love them) would make my overlanding trips or meals better than what I've got now. I'd love to have an electric fridge, but so far my Igloo ice-chest (not a Yeti) seems to keep stuff cold just fine. Figure I'm getting gas every day or so, so if I'm getting low on ice I'll just buy a bag at the gas station, drain out the water and top-off with new ice. MaxTrax are $300/pair; X-Bulls are $75/pair; both will get you unstruck. My Home Depot $30 shovel will move dirt just as well (or better) as some of those couple-hundred dollar shovels folks are trying to sell to Overlanders. Roof Top Tents run from $800 to a couple thousand dollars. Both will keep you dry in the rain and off the ground. So will a ground tent and a cot for much cheaper. Spaghettios and meatballs taste the same cooked in a titanium pot or... in any other pot you can heat them up in.

Get the picture?

Maybe on this trip we'll have some fun with contests such as "Who's got the cheapest ________ that serves its purpose". Like Dollar store plastic plates to eat meals meals from (don't knock the Dollar Store for camp cooking supplies - just sayin'). Or "The cheapest dinner that serves two that isn't a one-can meal" (bonus points for presentation).

You don't have to spend a lot of money to go overlanding. The scenery is the same no matter what rig you've got, or what kind of gear you have.

I won't judge.

Last edited:

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

I have my HAM license too (KI7TSP). I have a CB and a little UV8R radio mounted on my Jeep's dash with an external antenna. It'll get all the GMRS frequencies (have my GMRS license too). Both will work. I'm not trying to scare folks off by making them think they need a lot of high-dollar items to run the TAT with a group.

To answer your questions:

Extra fuel? Always a good idea to have and extra few gallons. I've got a 5-gallon Jerry can on the back of both my Jeeps, have two 2.5 gallon Jerry cans on the trailer, and another three - four gallons in Kolpin fuel cans on the front of my trailer (either one 4-gallon cell, or two 1.5 gallon cells). Often one of the 1.5 gallon cells is pre-mixed chain saw gasoline 50:1 ratio.

Garmin in-reach? I'm not too up on them. Don't go out and buy one just for this trip, but if you're looking for an excuse to convince the spouse you need one, then go for it. I'll back you up.

Maxtrax? I don't think you'll need them for this trip. But again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a set, go for it - now's the time. I've got two pair of X-Bulls (low-buck MaxTrax knock-offs) that I carry either on the roof of my TJ or they can go on the lid of my trailer. I'll have them on the TAT trip. Of the MaxTrax knock-offs, I think they're the best. $300/pair for MaxTrax; around $75/pair for the X-Bulls.
Roger all that. I'll focus on the other items as priority, and keep the redundant equip to a minimum. This is helpful.

Reactions: Old Tanker

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

A lot of folks read the Overlanding magazines, are on more than one Overlanding Forum, and see all the expensive vehicles and gear and might think "I've got to have all that to go overlanding". No you don't. I've listed what I consider the minimum vehicle requirements to do the TAT (or about any overlanding trip really; especially if not going solo). If you've got that and some half-way decent camping gear, you're good. You could outfit all your camping gear from WalMart and be ok. Come join us. The object is to get out there and have an adventure; not be trying to work overtime to afford expensive stuff that you won't have time to use. We're not trying to keep up with the overlanding-Joneses.

I'll admit is is fun to buy new stuff for Overlanding. But only buy it if you can afford it, and you'll actually use it. Keep it simple. See what other folks are using and ask them would they do it/get that again. You might be surprised what they tell you.

I've yet to figure out how a Tembo Tusk Skottle Grill (some folks love them) would make my overlanding trips or meals better than what I've got now. I'd love to have an electric fridge, but so far my Igloo ice-chest (not a Yeti) seems to keep stuff cold just fine. Figure I'm getting gas every day or so, so if I'm getting low on ice I'll just buy a bag at the gas station, drain out the water and top-off with new ice. MaxTrax are $300/pair; X-Bulls are $75/pair; both will get you unstruck. My $30 shovel will move dirt just as well (or better) as some of those couple-hundred dollar shovels folks are trying to sell to Overlanders. Roof Top Tents run from $800 to a couple thousand dollars. Both will keep you dry in the rain and off the ground. Spaghettios and meatballs taste the same cooked in a titanium pot or... in any other pot you can heat them up in.

Get the picture?

Maybe on this trip we'll have some fun with contests such as "Who's got the cheapest ________ that serves its purpose". Like Dollar store plastic plates to eat meals meals from (don't knock the Dollar Store for camp cooking supplies - just sayin'). "The cheapest dinner that serves two that isn't a one-can meal".

You don't have to spend a lot of money to go overlanding. The scenery is the same no matter what rig you've got, or what kind of gear you have.
I like this approach, I'm a minimalist by nature and practice...this feels right!

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
CatButt had some good pointers above. Tools are good. Bring what you think you need but don't bring every tool known to man. Tools are another area you can go expensive on (Snap-On and such), or just get a good set at Harbor Freight and be done with it. I will have tools. But if there's a specialty tool specific to your vehicle (like a certain hub socket) it wouldn't hurt to own one and have it with you.

I'd like a Safe Jack Bottle Jack kit (someday), but so far what I've got works. If you don't think your factory jack is up to the task or is missing, check out Safe Jack.

I didn't mention a first-aid kit as a requirement, but I'd hope everyone has one in their vehicle.

Speaking of medical stuff (help me out here nOmad)...

If you're doing this trip with us solo and you have a medical condition (diabetes, seizures, cardiac history, etc.) let me know about it before we hit the trail. I don't need all the details. And have some sort of PRINTED OUT abbreviated medical chart/record with you with a basic history (medical and surgical), list of medications, and a point-of-contact to notify along with your main physician's contact info. And keep it in the glove box where we can find it. So if something happens to you out in the middle of nowhere and we need to get you help, we'll have something to go-by to tell the EMS or hospital. Doesn't do us any good if all the info is on your phone and you're passed-out and we know nothing.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Got a question. Once you do get the gps tracks and the departure date set do you think you will have a better idea of when you will be doing certain portions of the TAT? I think 2021 will the year I start doing electronic maps and gps magic.
Possibly. Part of this trip is to enjoy the ride. I don't want to rush through it, but I also don't plan on being a slowpoke. So I think it will be hard to tell before we start where we will be at a certain future date - I wish I could. Once we've been traveling for a few days and get a rhythm going, we will be in a better position to predict.

I pretty much plan on us getting up in the morning and moving out unless we've decided we're spending part or all of the day there. Depending on where (think town or attraction) we're going through will determine if we drive on through, or stop and explore for a bit (one hour? two hours? half a day? It depends). Eventually we'll have to stop for a day to do laundry, catch our breath, explore, resupply/shop, etc. Hopefully we won't have any breakdowns, but if someone rips a sidewall we might stop at the next town with a tire shop to get them a new tire mounted and balanced. Or a water pump needs replacing. Stuff happens to even new(er) vehicles.

I believe Sam from TAT has suggested stopping points along the way. But not having ever run the TAT, I won't have pre-determined stopping/camping spots picked-out for every night. You never know - we might end-up spending the night in a Walmart parking lot some evening. That is part of the adventure - embrace it folks! You'll have stories to tell.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
When I originally cautioned you about the Colorado Passes being open I was overlooking your plans to do the Shadow route. Since you're not doing the stretch that includes the Passes around Lake City and Ouray it's not nearly as big of a concern. As best as I can tell, the only pass that may be an issue is Tincup Pass and you'll have a beautiful highway bypass of Cottonwood Pass. I suspect that Tincup will be at the top of the list on the rockiest of trails you'll encounter.

I've been coordinating the June Jam in Buena Vista the last couple years for a couple reasons. The first is that it's only a couple hours drive for most of us on the front range of CO. The other is that it has a lot of fun mild trails that are already open if the high elevation trails aren't. I do it in June in order to save July - Sept for trips to places like Ouray to give them time to melt out. Given the choice between Ouray and Buena Vista, however, I would choose Ouray hands down.

I mention all of this because, in my opinion, Ouray, CO and Moab, UT are two of the crown jewels of the TAT route. If you can figure a way to include these portions (even if you miss the Buena Vista event) I highly recommend you do so. (I must mention though that while the weather in CO will be great at that time, Moab will be getting quite warm.) These two areas have so many great off-road travel options that there are many variations to the TAT route in those areas. Depending on which route you choose, these are some of the trails you could take:

Engineer Pass <--Click me
California Pass
Hurricane Pass
Corkscrew Pass
Ophir Pass
Imogene Pass
Black Bear Pass (Optional Side Trip)

Long Canyon
Gemini Bridges

This is the main trail on Shadow that you'd miss:
Tincup Pass

But whatever you decide, I hope we're able to share at least a couple CO campfires!
Yeah; decisions... decisions. Neither one is a bad choice.

However, I think we're going to do the Shadow of the Rockies portion. I've been to Moab (Easter Safari one year). Had a great time. But I want to try and keep the group together, and (in my opinion) if you don't have someone there in Moab that knows where they're going to lead, mishaps are more likely to happen. Plus I think Colorado is pretty country.

Maybe 2022 will be the year of "Doing the parts of the TAT we missed in 2021".

Definitely hope we can share at least a couple of CO campfires!

Someday I'd like to do the Colorado Fall Color Tour with my Willys.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@armyRN

From your response I'm not sure I was able to completely convey my point.

I promise I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. I just want to be sure that you understand that you're going to miss the majority of the amazing trails that make Colorado famous. The stretch between Lake City and Telluride is the main attraction.

Levine98

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Levine
Member #

"According to the TAT website: "The average days ride is about 200-miles, and that’s a full day from 7AM to 6PM". And this for motorcycle riders. This may be a bit optimistic for a group of 4x4s."

I've been following this thread and hope to be able to join up for a good part of the route. Right now our planned deapture date from VA is June 19th, so not sure they work for your schedule since you're looking at departing WV the week before, and based on my experience in that area, you'll be well past the VA and NC sections before we even start. Hopefully things will align.

I also wanted to share my experience with daily milage averages in the WV, VA, NC sections. I've ridden a lot of this area on a 650 dual sport and 200 per day is very doable, partly becasue a fair bit is on 2 lane paved connector roads or hardpack forest service roads-- in dry conditions on a properly outfitted bike can tool along pretty quickly, switchbacks excepted. However I've been surprised how much slower the going is along the same routes when I'm out in my 4runner. Not sure why, but it seems like 150 per day is a comfrotable average assuming you get off an hour or so after sunrise and drive until an hour before sunset. Would expect it would only be more challenging once you reach the Rockies.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
"According to the TAT website: "The average days ride is about 200-miles, and that’s a full day from 7AM to 6PM". And this for motorcycle riders. This may be a bit optimistic for a group of 4x4s."

I've been following this thread and hope to be able to join up for a good part of the route. Right now our planned deapture date from VA is June 19th, so not sure they work for your schedule since you're looking at departing WV the week before, and based on my experience in that area, you'll be well past the VA and NC sections before we even start. Hopefully things will align.

I also wanted to share my experience with daily milage averages in the WV, VA, NC sections. I've ridden a lot of this area on a 650 dual sport and 200 per day is very doable, partly becasue a fair bit is on 2 lane paved connector roads or hardpack forest service roads-- in dry conditions on a properly outfitted bike can tool along pretty quickly, switchbacks excepted. However I've been surprised how much slower the going is along the same routes when I'm out in my 4runner. Not sure why, but it seems like 150 per day is a comfrotable average assuming you get off an hour or so after sunrise and drive until an hour before sunset. Would expect it would only be more challenging once you reach the Rockies.
Yeah; that's why I earlier mentioned figuring 100 - 150 miles/day. Seems like the more vehicles you have, the longer it takes at gas stops, getting everyone through obstacles, etc. Once we get a rhythm going we'll have a better idea of miles per day.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I appreciate you letting us know your experiences. I need that kind of information!

Reactions: Levine98