Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Trip end date is estimated at JULY 31. There's four weeks for ya! I was hoping you could hop on in CO. :)
That might work... I miss the Colorado Front Range... I am heading to CS sometime in 2021 to visit my kids, so even if this doesn’t work out, I’ll be up in your region sometime before the snow flies again in 2021... I’ll keep you posted on my plans.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

To the best of my knowledge the Shadow route is easier (for the most part) than continuing straight. There is one rocky section on Tincup Pass that will slow you down for a bit. I've been over it in my stock full size Chevy and would do it again. Last year we had a stock Jeep Commander on street tires with us. It might have been a little harder than he wanted, but he came through it unscathed. This whole trail can be easily bypassed by taking beautiful Cottonwood Pass.
Thanks for the information!

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Sounds good.

I'm planning on sticking with Sam's official TAT maps and routes to keep everyone on the same track and minimize confusion. But yes, other routes might come in handy if we needed to detour for whatever reason.

I had to make the call about whether we do the Shadow of the Rockies or keep going an skip Colorado. Both options have their perks, but in the end I picked the Shadow route for us. We may have more than one vehicle that keeps going and doesn't do the Shadow portion, so you still might not be going solo.

You're only about 6hrs from where we'll be starting out in WV. Are you sure you don't want to get in from the beginning?

It'll be fun, and quite the adventure!
Hmmm. It's true it's only about 6hrs from my location. But, with a 9am departure, that means leaving home at 3am, or arriving the night before. I'll have to think on that. I did the Atlantic to Maggie Valley portion summer '19 by moto. So, my plan was to just pick it up there, and finish that little bit from Maggie to the Oregon Coast, hahaha.

I don't disagree with the Shadow portion. I'm easy. I just like keeping options open.

It makes sense to stick with Sam's routes. Both for continuity and legality. Some folks following alternates end up on, or blocked by private land. One guy I follow on YouTube came across quite a few locked gates following some version of Kevin's. I'm hoping the layers in GAIA will help identify those potential issues as I plot. in any case, having detour options is my only reasoning for having alternates.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

I'm leaving from SW WA about 2600 miles away. So I'll plan to get there at least a day or two early.
Makes sense.

After some though, I decided I'll wait to see if we can link up in/near NC, instead of going North to come back South. My plan includes covering similar territory on the return trip via the MABDR. So, it would be redundant for me.

June 11th is also my wife's birthday, so there's that, lol.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Makes sense.

After some though, I decided I'll wait to see if we can link up in/near NC, instead of going North to come back South. My plan includes covering similar territory on the return trip via the MABDR. So, it would be redundant for me.

June 11th is also my wife's birthday, so there's that, lol.
You don't want to miss that or cut that one short. We'll make it work.

Reactions: Solo Saga

Contributor I

Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whoolery
Member #

Hey I just found your post today about an hour ago and have read it top to bottom. I just bought the WV gpx route and was wanting to do it soon. I live in Charleston, WV which is 25 minutes south on the interstate from Ripley. I grew up in Spencer which the TAT goes right through. I would love to join you for a few days either by myself or with my two oldest (6 & 8 by the time of the trip). Not sure how they will do yet breaking camp first thing and riding in the truck all day. I’ll float it past my wife in the next day or two. I don’t think she will mind me being gone for two or three days just have to work out the logistics with the boys.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Hey I just found your post today about an hour ago and have read it top to bottom. I just bought the WV gpx route and was wanting to do it soon. I live in Charleston, WV which is 25 minutes south on the interstate from Ripley. I grew up in Spencer which the TAT goes right through. I would love to join you for a few days either by myself or with my two oldest (6 & 8 by the time of the trip). Not sure how they will do yet breaking camp first thing and riding in the truck all day. I’ll float it past my wife in the next day or two. I don’t think she will mind me being gone for two or three days just have to work out the logistics with the boys.
Sounds like fun! Gotta get those boys used to being in the outdoors!

Reactions: DevilDodge

Contributor I

Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whoolery
Member #

Sounds like fun! Gotta get those boys used to being in the outdoors!
So Kelley gave me the go ahead on joining the trip for a few days. Garrett overheard us talking about it and got really excited to go. So we will have to see how he and Carson do this spring and they may get to go with me.

2G4R

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUC
Ive been wanting to do this for a while.. Do you have a date set? Got all the maps from Sam if you want the gpx's

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Pretty cool thread. My Brother and I plan on doing the TAT in a couple of years. We started our longer distance adventures last year by doing the Az BDR. This July, we are planning on doing the Colorado BDR, by starting out with a 1 day exploration of Monument Valley on July 5th. We are planning on about July 11 to finish up at the Wyoming border, then head down to Grand Junction to do the Kokopelli trail to Moab. This will take us to July 17th about, when we will all head home our seperate ways.

We are looking to have about 3 jeeps, a roxor, a Sportsmobile Sprinter, and 5 motos. Last year we had 1 jeep, the Sportsmobile Sprinter, and 2 motos. The speed kinda evened out, because the Motos could cross the terrain quite a bit faster than the 4x4's, but it was rougher on the riders, so they were able to rest up a bit as the 4x4's caught up. It actually worked out pretty well.

Sounds like you guys are planning on being in Colorado around the same time we are. I will be following your progress as you go, and look forward to seeing how the 4x4's do on the TAT.

Here's a couple of pics:20200515_082507.jpg

20200511_161139.jpg

Attachments

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

armyRN, how did your jeep do with the trailer? I am planning on pulling a small trailer with my jeep (The white YJ in the pics on my last post) I have the 4.0 engine, but 3.07 gears. The trailer will be smaller than yours . We are still building it, but figure similar to yours with out the box on it.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Sounds like fun!

After the year we had, I decided we were doing the TAT from one-end to the other in 2021.

The Colorado BDR is on my wish list. I'll want to hear about your trip.

Reactions: Trailjeeper

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
armyRN, how did your jeep do with the trailer? I am planning on pulling a small trailer with my jeep (The white YJ in the pics on my last post) I have the 4.0 engine, but 3.07 gears. The trailer will be smaller than yours . We are still building it, but figure similar to yours with out the box on it.
The Jeep and trailer do fine. It helps with the trailer being narrower than the TJ when threading through trees and rocks (the track width of the trailer is the same as my Willys). The trailer is based off a little Harbor Freight 4' trailer frame (heavily modified). The tub at the base is only 40" x 50". Read all about it here (very long thread):

Link: Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

As I'm sure you're aware, these little Wranglers don't have much room inside for gear (even with the back seat removed). Even with my lil' trailer being on the small side, there's just so much more stuff you can take with you in (or on outside) a little trailer like this. I may be doing the WABDR this summer right after the NWOR. I'm thinking of taking the Willys and trailer on that one. And there's even less room for gear in the Willys compared to the TJ, so thank goodness for the trailer.

Willys and trailer.6 (2).jpg

Willys and trailer.7 (2).jpg

Here's a video of the Jeep TJ and trailer in action:

(207) TJ and trailer - YouTube

And one more thing - you'll be amazed at what a gear change will do for your YJ. I'm running 4.88 gears with 33" tires on my TJ, but I've got the 2.5 four-cylinder engine. With the 4.0 six, usually 4.10 gears work well with 31" tires, and 4.56 gears work well with 33" tires. You'll not only get your fifth gear back to where you can use it, but you'll really like having the lower gears when starting out in first gear (especially on the trail starting an uphill climb).

Last edited:

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

The Jeep and trailer do fine. It helps with the trailer being narrower than the TJ when threading through trees and rocks (the track width of the trailer is the same as my Willys). The trailer is based off a little Harbor Freight 4' trailer frame (heavily modified). The tub at the base is only 40" x 50". Read all about it here (very long thread):

Link: Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

As I'm sure you're aware, these little Wranglers don't have much room inside for gear (even with the back seat removed). Even with my lil' trailer being on the small side, there's just so much more stuff you can take with you in (or on outside) a little trailer like this. I may be doing the WABDR this summer right after the NWOR. I'm thinking of taking the Willys and trailer on that one. And there's even les room for gear in the Willys compared to the TJ, so thank goodness for the trailer.

View attachment 187630

View attachment 187631

Here's a video of the Jeep TJ and trailer in action:

(207) TJ and trailer - YouTube

And one more thing - you'll be amazed at what a gear change will do for your YJ. I'm running 4.88 gears with 33" tires on my TJ, but I've got the 2.5 four-cylinder engine. With the 4.0 six, usually 4.10 gears work well with 31" tires, and 4.56 gears work well with 33" tires. You'll not only get your fifth gear back to where you can use it, but you'll really like having the lower gears when starting out in first gear (especially on the trail starting an uphill climb).
I see Jeff Sherb posted several times on your thread. I followed a lot of his builds, which are amazing. My brother and I are building a small trailer that will be capable of carrying a motorcycle, if one breaks on our trip. My brother had a front brake line get punctured on our last BDR, and this trip will be twice as long. I'll post some pics when it is done

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
We did it a few years ago and had a great time. We did get knocked off the trail in OR due to forest fires and landslides but nevertheless, I would go again in a heartbeat. Here’s our trip report.

Last edited: