Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

For around 40k I can get a new 2020 rebel or for around 37k I can get a 1 owner 13 raptor with 60000 miles in clean shape.
mom almost leaning to the Raptor just for Value. They don’t seem to be losing a lot of value.
I live in the desert and I’m thinking the ford will be better in sandy conditions.
So I’ll throw it out there. If you had to make a decision what would it be.
it’s not my daily driver I have a commuter this would be mostly for over landing or just playing in the desert.

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

And I’m sorry that this is my third decision I’m trying to make on this forum. I did t think my truck had enough value to cover what I owe. I’m not upside down anymore so I can get out of my ram without carrying over to the new truck

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
raptors are a ton of fun and way more capable in the desert than the rebel. There’s a HUGE aftermarket for them as well if you find yourself getting bit by the mod bug. They’ve been holding their value very well because the new ones don’t have a V8, which a lot of people want in an off road truck still

I’m biased because I have a 2010 raptor and I absolutely love it. You have the option to speed up and have a lot of fun in fast paced off roading or keeping it slow and cruise. One down side is how wide these trucks are. They run about 87” wide and have more trouble squeezing through tight trails than a regular full size truck. The super crew raptors have a 36 gal fuel tank which is a huge advantage compared to the super cabs, which only have a 26gal so keep that in mind when choosing between the 2 (if you decide to go that route)

if you have any questions feel free to ask and I’ll answer as best I can

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

[/QUOTE]
Assuming the truck is in good condition should a high mileage raptor scare me off there’s a few in the 75-90k mileage. What are normal failures on these trucks?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'd be all over the Rebel..

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously tho, I'd go for the Raptor.
Way more aftermarket. I think Rebel, ??? I don't think fun.
But then I think overlanding and I rank Rebel, Raptor just slightly ahead of Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Rebel. Never buy American cars used. Especially one that's prone to flatbiller ownership.

Those two trucks have nothing in common. If you're on a $40k budget, also consider normal trucks and build them up over time. I decided to build a $38k F250.

Reactions: grubworm

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

If I had to choose I most likely go with the raptor. so much aftermarket support and I think its a more fun truck. Ive been thinking about trading my current Silverado for a new raptor. The only thing that stopped my from getting one at the time when I got the Silverado is that the raptor comes with a tiny bed and I like the 6.6ft bed on my Silverado. I tow mini bikes a lot for different rides we do and things so I like being able to load it and close the tailgate.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I am a Dodge guy but I really like the Raptor. Still, I would go with the newer truck if they are close to the same price. Carli Suspensions is now making 1500 suspension systems so you can really up the performance of a Dodge1500 - even if you started with a base model instead of the Rebel. I have a big heavy Cummins with a Carli system on it. Crazy how much the offroad performance changed. I would love to take a spin in a truck with one of their 1500 kits.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Assuming the truck is in good condition should a high mileage raptor scare me off there’s a few in the 75-90k mileage. What are normal failures on these trucks?
[/QUOTE]

I bought my 2010 with 105,000 on it, and i knew the previous owner used it for what it was built for. It didnt scare me one bit, and I now have 140,000 on it, with a a bunch of hard off road trips to NV, and one 2,000 (all off road miles) mile trip along the Baja Peninsula and I haven't had a single problem with it. I drove it from San Francisco to San diego, across the border, then back home in just over a week. only trail fix I had to do was that my Volant intake tube came off the throttle body at the silicone coupling. there was a handful of new raptors and old ones with us as well. none of the trucks had problems.

if you are looking into them and want to use it occasionally for high speed fun, some things to know about are the Fox shocks do need to be rebuilt/oil changed occasionally. Intervals depend on how often and hard you use the truck. If you get into going fast often (especially if you up the tire size to 37"s) then upgrading the power steering reservoir, pump, and cooler are a good idea. I have an upgraded reservoir and cooler to keep the factory pump quiet and happy. Some raptor owners have problems with the steering racks leaking, but a lot of the trucks that have the problems are modified with suspension upgrades, larger tires, etc and tend to push their trucks more than the weekend/occasional desert racer. just an FYI: I have yet to have a rack fail.

another common issue (not just specific to raptors, but all f150s) are the IWEs. its Ford's vacuum actuated "integrated wheel end" which is a splined gear attached to a vacuum controlled system that keeps the 4wd from engaging when in 2wd. some people have them fail intermittently and they can make a loud grinding noise in the front wheel. You can replace the damaged one for about $100. I swapped mine out, and kept the old ones as spares, just before the trip to Baja just for a piece of mind since I was going to be in another country and 1,000 miles away from home.

Those are the most common issues I can think of. those issues might not come up depending on how you drive it. not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum, but if you look at ford raptor forums for sale section, you can find quite a few nice ones in your price range.

Reactions: 2xcrash

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I am a Dodge guy but I really like the Raptor. Still, I would go with the newer truck if they are close to the same price. Carli Suspensions is now making 1500 suspension systems so you can really up the performance of a Dodge1500 - even if you started with a base model instead of the Rebel. I have a big heavy Cummins with a Carli system on it. Crazy how much the offroad performance changed. I would love to take a spin in a truck with one of their 1500 kits.
Carli Suspension is awesome. If you decide to go with a Rebel, then I'd suggest looking into them for suspension upgrades. What they can do with a 3/4ton truck is unreal. I too would like to see how a 1/2ton with their setup will do.

Reactions: Brewbud

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

I went to a Ram Dealer that had a good price on the Rebel and it was a BS add with a bunch of add ons that couldn't be taken off. Then having to think of payments again I decided to take tha 4k I was going to put down and start working on my Stock 2500 mega cab, then I am selling a jet boat after the new year and will get a beater and build it for overlanding where the Ram cant take me.

Thanks everyone.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Does the raptor come with a factory Locker? That would make my decision real quick

Reactions: Jaytperry89

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I absolutely hate dodge products but between the two id pick the rebel or better yet power wagon. Most of those raptors have been ridden pretty hard by previous owners thinking they have a real 7700 class trophy truck. Ive personalky seen some of the raptor destruction. Now i havent driven a dodge pickup since 01 i had a 2500 and it was a piece o crap but id expect the newer stuff to be somewhat better. And to be clear it was the engine sensors going out on the gas dodge and plastic trim that made me think its crap. If it comes with a cummins then thats the way to go the engine would last longer than the body.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Our company stopped using Dodge trucks in the late 90's , but since 02' they have started up and have had decent life out of them. Just as good as the other two companies . Only two problems were the duty cycle on the driver's door "hinge problem" and reversed water pumps on the five seven...

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

why would you look Nissan Titan, it can be even XD model with diesel. There are about 30-35K with ~ 50K on them. The Pro-4x has locker, plus available upgrade 1.2 K for the front locker.
Also Tundra, it's last forever.
In term of RAM trucks, I wold not buy a new Raptor, instead will get used Poerwagon, if you have 40+ K .