Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have had good service from Ram/FCA, it would be a no brainer for me.

If the Raptor was a year old and had 19k miles on it I might reconsider.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Brand new vs. a used vehicle that is especially known for being abused by owners. I'm not sure it's even a question...

-TJ

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I had Jeep WK2, even it's nice SUV, but it's more like "mom/dad soccer SUV". I had diesel, were small things , like mirror defroster never work, but dealer told it works as is, really low heat on feet area, always cold, my wife complained a lot, other small issues, nothing major.
Still wanted Powerwagon, but needed up with Titan XD. So far was good.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Raptors have a stigma of being either only being used and abused and sold, or driven by "broskis with flatbills." seems like a lot of people here view them in that light, which is fine but not entirely true. here in Northern CA I have seen quite a few raptor owners (Gen1 and Gen2). occasionally I start a conversation with them if I have time, and most of them are older men who don't have a clue of what they're capable of. very rarely are younger kids driving them. A handful of them even have lumber racks and company logos on them and have never even seen dirt, and probably won't under their current ownership. Even in SoCal, raptors are kind of looked upon as jokes in the "serious prerunning" community. their thought is for the money you spend on a raptor, you could get a fully built Prerunner to run through 3' whoops at 60-70mph with ease. but that fully built prerunner isn't fir for daily driving, most likely is loud as hell inside the cab, doesnt have heat or AC, or cant throw anything in the bed to hall it across town.

Are there "broskis with flatbills" driving them around? yes, but they just aren't raptor specific. I see 100x more of those people driving lifted F250/Chevy2500/ram2500 diesels with 24"x14" wheels wrapped in 33" tires, with their frames painted to match the truck and chromed out suspension parts than in any raptor. these guys are far more concerned about rolling coal on the prius ahead and making sure the all the hotties at the mall can hear their turbo whistle as they cruise by. and this isn't just in the bay area, but everywhere I travelled.

for people who actually use their raptors for what they're built for won't keep stock suspension components for long after using them and finding where the trucks limits are. First upgrades are usually 3.0 shocks (upgrades from the 2.5s on the gen1) and leaf springs along with a bumpstop kit. the skys the limit with these things. If the truck the OP was looking at was pretty much stock and visually in good shape, I don't see any problem with buying one used. I did, and I haven't had a problem yet.

New rebel vs used raptor in most cases I'd suggest the new Rebel. Rebel has it beat in almost every category, but OP mentioned he lives in SoCal and wants to use the truck in the desert, which is what the Raptor was made for. They are a great truck regardless of how much people on OB look down on them. getting a rebel to keep up with a raptor in that area will cost a good amount of $.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you go a SCORE race there are lots of teams that are running Raptors, most have replaced the A arms and sway bars. Both rigs will do what you want. The Ford has more aftermarket parts.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
If you go a SCORE race there are lots of teams that are running Raptors, most have replaced the A arms and sway bars. Both rigs will do what you want. The Ford has more aftermarket parts.
totally right. I forgot about those races for a minute. There are a bunch at those events. Sky’s the limit for aftermarket on those trucks.

Here we are bantering Back and forth about which we think is the best, and the OP already said he’s not looking at either anymore haha

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I think everyone whom is looking some kind advice needs to research a little on own. First capability and where i going to be use, like off road trial, is it Rubicon type or just gravel with few stairs things, towing, how much towing, dog in or out of truck, family size, tent to trailer with tent, everyday commuter ?, or second car o driveway, than how many trip per year are you looking?, mpg, upgrades , lockers .
Remember it's expensive hobby even it looks cool. It's lots money just to finish even just Rubicon, tires alone ~2,000!, I 'm talking from experience as i did Jeep WK2 and won't good!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 19mystic96

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It seems to be brand loyalty mostly in this thread
Not sure about that i have a chevy and reccomend a dodge since the fords have been beat on pretty bad, they are not trophy trucks and most have been jumped . Even older raptors are expensive since everyone wants the v8 ones. If you want a real trophy truck get a 2000s model ford ranger and build it into a 7700 class truck ie long travel suspension, roll cage, tube chassis, v8 swap etc.
If it were a brand loyalty thing id say go get a zr2 bison by aev but you pretty much need to win the lottery for that.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Not sure about that i have a chevy and reccomend a dodge since the fords have been beat on pretty bad, they are not trophy trucks and most have been jumped . Even older raptors are expensive since everyone wants the v8 ones. If you want a real trophy truck get a 2000s model ford ranger and build it into a 7700 class truck ie long travel suspension, roll cage, tube chassis, v8 swap etc.
If it were a brand loyalty thing id say go get a zr2 bison by aev but you pretty much need to win the lottery for that.
Yea I looked into the bison as well for a little bit and I cant see spending that much when I can get more truck from a full size. I just hope the OP finds what he really needs

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I would get a new vehicle over a older high mileage vehicle that you know nothing about. A Raptor would have a good chance of having the sheet beat out of it .

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'm a Ford guy and voted Rebel.

I can hang out with Dodge guys as long as they make fun of GM's.
LOL, GM has been completely unable to rectify the "one functioning fog lamp" issue for about 20 years.

I don't think they realize how that discourages potential buyers.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
There must be some kind of goofy light module or body controller on GM's.

We have a ton of them where random lights, light up when you hit the brakes. Right rear brake light on 24/7, but turns off when the brakes are applied, and then the right reverse light comes on.

GM also just can't lie to a tape measure. Wheelweels, ground clearance, breakover angle. Literal **** measuring. Lol.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

There must be some kind of goofy light module or body controller on GM's.

We have a ton of them where random lights, light up when you hit the brakes. Right rear brake light on 24/7, but turns off when the brakes are applied, and then the right reverse light comes on.

GM also just can't lie to a tape measure. Wheelweels, ground clearance, breakover angle. Literal **** measuring. Lol.
I have a 2011 Chevy I bought brand new in Oct of 2010... haven't had a single light issue. It's my tow pig (and was my DD until about 2 years ago) and certainly isn't a wheeler. That said, it has spent a ton of time offroad, just not what I'd call "wheeling". Mostly either in sand dunes to recover things, or on forest service roads. It has a 4" lift and 35x12.5-18"s (I went down from the factory 20" rims so I could have more sidewall) but I certainly don't think it's a rock crawler, lol.

-TJ

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd venture to guess that hinky work trailer plugs might have something to do with it over time, maybe.

35x12.5r18 is what my clique, pretty much, requires for 1 tons. 33" for half tons and Suv's over 5000 pounds. Anything goes for the 'lil trucks.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I'm a Chevy guy and would go with the Rebel. Also in this video the Raptor is like 10k more.

Reactions: phlfly

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'd venture to guess that hinky work trailer plugs might have something to do with it over time, maybe.

35x12.5r18 is what my clique, pretty much, requires for 1 tons. 33" for half tons and Suv's over 5000 pounds. Anything goes for the 'lil trucks.
Yeah, the 35"s just give it decent enough clearance for the giant pumpkin, the lower shock mounts, my giant 60 gallon under-belly fuel tank, etc. Again, it is NOT a crawler or remotely a hardcore wheeler. I'm sure I could get it through some pretty hairy stuff if I cared less about it, lol. But it still needs to tow our 5'er and be reliable (and presentable) for that. The tire-size was mostly about giving me a good footprint and the option to air-down when I'm towing the ~16k lbs trailer through soft sand (or recovering broken stuff in the same soft sand).

I'm a Chevy guy and would go with the Rebel. Also in this video the Raptor is like 10k more.

Same. I'm a Chevy guy, though her truck is a '19 RAM 1500 (not a Rebel, it's a Laramie but we did level it and add 35x12.5-20"s). The new RAMs are just stupid nice inside, much nicer than high-end luxury cars just 10 years ago. I have to admit to considering a brand new Raptor, but at the end of the day she's a Hemi girl. ;) Anyway, a brand new Raptor is one thing, but I'd have a really hard time buying any used Raptor that I didn't know the previous owner(s) and EXACTLY how it was used and treated.

-TJ

Reactions: RoarinRow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Oh, and just to throw a curve-ball out there what about a new 2019 Gladiator? I've seen a few 2019s discounted already with the 2020s out and the initial hype and mark-ups mostly gone. If you don't need to tow particularly heavy and can live with the NA V6 or turbo I4 (vs. the new diesel option that's on the way) you might be able to score one for close to your current budget. In terms of off-road capability it will easily trump either of your current options, perhaps with the exception of some very specific types of high-speed desert running where the Raptor has an advantage (until it bends the frame).

-TJ

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Oh, and just to throw a curve-ball out there what about a new 2019 Gladiator? I've seen a few 2019s discounted already with the 2020s out and the initial hype and mark-ups mostly gone. If you don't need to tow particularly heavy and can live with the NA V6 or turbo I4 (vs. the new diesel option that's on the way) you might be able to score one for close to your current budget. In terms of off-road capability it will easily trump either of your current options, perhaps with the exception of some very specific types of high-speed desert running where the Raptor has an advantage (until it bends the frame).

-TJ
There is no 2019 Gladiator, the first model year for the JT is 2020