How long to wait for Gobi rack? coming up on 19 weeks

• HTML tutorial

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
About 15 years for me.

in the early '00s when they were pretty new they had told me on a board I posted on that they wanted to do a Grand Cherokee model and would send me a prototype. They never followed up on it.

Reactions: Leclerc.27

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

About 15 years for me.

in the early '00s when they were pretty new they had told me on a board I posted on that they wanted to do a Grand Cherokee model and would send me a prototype. They never followed up on it.
LOL! That's a long wait my friend. Gobi pulled the money out of my account a couple of days ago, so I should be seeing it any day now. It was a lot easier when I had given up hope, now it's back to waiting everyday!!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

They can be tough to get a hold of, but every time I called I was able to talk to someone eventually. I actually bought my rack used from a buddy of mine (he no longer needed a rack) and they were still happy to help me with all my needs. I'm only about 1.5 hours south of them, so I drove up to pick up the front light bar (entire front frame of their racks) as that was the only part of the rack my buddy wanted to keep. I was having trouble finding bolts that would fit some of there brackets so I took those with me. They gave them to one of the shop guys to look at and he determined that the threads down in the bolt holes were messed up some and that's why I could not thread the bolts in. They re tapped them and gave them back to me free of charge. They also found some left over parts I need (the rack I got was of a past version) and cut me a very good deal on them.

So, while they suck at emails and are not good on the phone, in person they are great and the product is very nice. That said, they do need to get their production times down.

Reactions: McCannUSA

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

They can be tough to get a hold of, but every time I called I was able to talk to someone eventually. I actually bought my rack used from a buddy of mine (he no longer needed a rack) and they were still happy to help me with all my needs. I'm only about 1.5 hours south of them, so I drove up to pick up the front light bar (entire front frame of their racks) as that was the only part of the rack my buddy wanted to keep. I was having trouble finding bolts that would fit some of there brackets so I took those with me. They gave them to one of the shop guys to look at and he determined that the threads down in the bolt holes were messed up some and that's why I could not thread the bolts in. They re tapped them and gave them back to me free of charge. They also found some left over parts I need (the rack I got was of a past version) and cut me a very good deal on them.

So, while they suck at emails and are not good on the phone, in person they are great and the product is very nice. That said, they do need to get their production times down.
That's petty much what I heard and expected. Getting a gobi rack for my Grand Cherokee was the plan since the day I drove it off the lot, so I didn't mind waiting but when i couldn't get a hold of anybody going into week 20 I was definitely worried i had wasted a lot of time. Can't wait for it to show up now.

Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
Been waiting on my Gobi rack since Nov2017, but to be fair Christmas was really not counted. when i hit end of March i got email that the dealer i bought rack thru Trail Duty had passed away and Gobi hadn't been paid so rack was sitting at shop. I had to repay this time to Gobi and rack will be at house this Friday . Gobi really helped with the mess with Trail Duty and honored the price that TD had originally sold rack for , my bank is still working on credit card refund from Trail Duty.

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

Been waiting on my Gobi rack since Nov2017, but to be fair Christmas was really not counted. when i hit end of March i got email that the dealer i bought rack thru Trail Duty had passed away and Gobi hadn't been paid so rack was sitting at shop. I had to repay this time to Gobi and rack will be at house this Friday . Gobi really helped with the mess with Trail Duty and honored the price that TD had originally sold rack for , my bank is still working on credit card refund from Trail Duty.
Man, that was such a bad situation with Trail Duty. Glad to hear Gobi was doing what they could to help.

Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
Gobi Roof Rack.jpg Up date received rack , was worth the wait, i worked at Lazy Turtle speed from Friday afternoon til Sunday evening rack installed by myself , need to adjust wind deflector.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve and Etoimos

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

View attachment 55562 Up date received rack , was worth the wait, i worked at Lazy Turtle speed from Friday afternoon til Sunday evening rack installed by myself , need to adjust wind deflector.
Looks great! I got my rack and ladder on Monday and got it put on. So I ordered it on Nov. 10th and received it April 30th. So worth the wait. I am so happy I went with the Gobi rack. Everything you hear about Gobi is true. They are slow, unresponsive, and make one hell of a rack!
20180502_191300.jpg 20180502_191225.jpg

Reactions: Leclerc.27

M ROD

Rank 0

Traveler I

FYI Just ordered my Gobi rack from Gobi (5-15-18). They told me 12 to 18 weeks for delivery.

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

One of my buddies just sold his and went to a Frontrunner rack. Person that bought his Gobi now has to wait 8-10 weeks for a new gasket set before they can install....yeah I'd be pissed if I were them. Why does a few pieces of rubber take 8-10 weeks to get? I'd love to know. He sold because it was loud, heavy, and was tired of waiting for months and months every time he needed a new bracket or mount for an addition. CS was non-existant.

The whole Gobi shipping timeline is a complete joke. How they remain in business is beyond me. Why does anyone order from them? I mean seriously why do you care so much about a rack that isn't very good in the first place? Sure they "look" cool if you want that Land Rover old school safari look, but Frontrunner and Rhino Rack blow Gobi out of the water on modularity and mounting.

Oh you want a Frontrunner or Rhino Rack, yeah you'll have it in a week or less and if you have questions someone will take your call and acutally give a crap about having you as a customer.

Rant over, do as you wish. I just feel sorry for people when I see threads like this when people knew good and well what Gobi was about (or wasn't depending on how you look at it) and what they were getting themselves into then they complain about the same things....it's been 17 years and 3 months and I still don't have my rack what should I do?..etc.

CMJeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Minnesota
Member #

They do seem to grow them from tiny seeds. The one I ordered for my JKU took one day shy of 19 weeks to show up at my door. I had one before for my Nissan Xterra so knew of the loooooong wait times but also know they make a quality product.
34321865_10156537378818708_3192109467793620992_n.jpg
DJI_0098-small.jpg

M ROD

Rank 0

Traveler I

I ordered mine in May 2018. I was told 12 to 18 week wait. But, if it is a 4 1/2 to 5 months wait, I'll be looking to get it by October. I'll cross my fingers. Word of mouth is very powerful. I wonder if this company is paying attention to all this talk. Hope it stays in business. Something has to improve.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've been down the steel rack route before. I bought into it because of the world class powder coating, etc etc etc. After only 10 years of use I ended up having stainless steel hoops fabricated to replace the rusted out ones, front and rear. It was literally caving in upon itself. The stainless hoops cost over $400 to fabricate. A couple of years later I sold my jeep with the rack still upon it. I showed the buyer the stainless that I added, and showed him the rusted out areas on the rest of the rack.
I can't believe that Gobi survives with the business model that they are using. In this day and age a four week window should be plenty of time to build from scratch and deliver the goods . They are also very expensive when compared to the top names in modular aluminum racks, that, by the way, will never rust out. Lets hope that they don't begin to rust in a shorter time than what it takes to build and deliver one. Don't get me wrong. I buy American made products whenever I can, but I will not by American made products that cannot compete with the Aussies or the South Africans, in overall quality, design, customer service, and "bang for the buck".

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado

1 1/2 hours out you in my neck of the woods. I am in Pueblo. I waited 17 weeks for my Gobi, they installed for free! So far extremely happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Nickzero

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Thank you, I was really happy to find out that the wind deflector is also made of aluminum! You definitely get what you pay for.
You again! Haha. I’d been talking to Gobi for the last few weeks, trying to figure out if their “12-16 week” wait time was legit or just due to an uptick in orders. I asked them that directly and then they said it was 16 or more. So, it sucks. They look AWESOME and that it comes with the deflector, ladder (sickkk) and rails is a bargain. I like that they’re walled/railed around the circumference too. But...especially after these horror stories, I don’t know. Though, yours looks super good.

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

I tell you what, the wait sucked!! but it was so worth it. I love the rack and I would do it over again without hesitation now that I have seen and used the rack. The only other piece of advise I would give is to order any accessories you want with the rack. I also got the ax and shovel mount but I wish I would have got the awning mount too. There is a reason people spend that kind of money and wait that long. It's not just hype, it's a nice rack!

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

I tell you what, the wait sucked!! but it was so worth it. I love the rack and I would do it over again without hesitation now that I have seen and used the rack. The only other piece of advise I would give is to order any accessories you want with the rack. I also got the ax and shovel mount but I wish I would have got the awning mount too. There is a reason people spend that kind of money and wait that long. It's not just hype, it's a nice rack!
Do you have a shot of the ladder and rack from the rear? You could sway me. The ladder in itself just seems so useful if you have a rack like that. I looked at front runner and you can get the expedition-style frame things for it, but with all the stuff you need to order to make it like th Gobi, it’s about the same price. Though, it ships next day haha.

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

Do you have a shot of the ladder and rack from the rear? You could sway me. The ladder in itself just seems so useful if you have a rack like that. I looked at front runner and you can get the expedition-style frame things for it, but with all the stuff you need to order to make it like th Gobi, it’s about the same price. Though, it ships next day haha.
Not having to wait would be nice but I thought about how long I would be using the rack and owning the vehicle and decided the wait would be worth it. The ladder is great too!20180625_190755.jpg 20180702_202735.jpg