Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
+1 for the Trails Illustrated maps. They have an incredible amount of detail! As best I can tell, if you go to https://gaiagps.com and create an account, you can look at the map for free, with Trails Illustrated being one of the layers you can select. It's also available in the app.
Good info for the techno geeks out there. Once off the grid however, I trust my good old fashioned paper maps and a compass.

Reactions: Billiebob and Road

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
In CNY (Central New York) finding places is challenging. Don't get me wrong, finding places where everybody else goes is easy. Finding places off the beaten path is hard. So I spend the winter on Google maps (satellite view) researching various state lands, their roads, and then cross-referencing those areas against state websites with usage rules/restrictions. Some of those turn into winter/off-season adventure drives where I and some OB friends scout the areas out. Some of those turn into winners. Some not. Winter is especially complicated here because many public forest access roads become snowmobile-only during the winter.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Good info for the techno geeks out there. Once off the grid however, I trust my good old fashioned paper maps and a compass.
I love my tech and mobile gear, but we ought to get a few of us that have been doing this since wayyy before tech and mobile devices to lead orienteering workshops for those interested in learning more about paper maps and compass.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

If you have the app and a subscription, the maps are downloadable to your device. Still, I always travel with a printed material as well. Our local Bass Pro has a rack of the Trails Illustrated maps for about $12 per area. I also have an Delorme VA Road Atlas that I've had for 10 years or better.

Reactions: Road

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I use the Backroadmapbooks for here in Canada. I also search for camping on crown lands on the internet. I also talk to people in parking lots that have a rig that looks like they might have some good ideas.

Usually with paper maps and landmarks to get around.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I use the Backroadmapbooks for here in Canada. I also search for camping on crown lands on the internet. I also talk to people in parking lots that have a rig that looks like they might have some good ideas.

Usually with paper maps and landmarks to get around.
I got three of the Backroad Mapbooks couple weeks ago; New Brunswick, Nova Scotia/PEI, and Newfoundland/Labrador and have to say these are terrific mapbooks. Two of them say on the cover "Includes Crown Land" and the other doesn't, for some reason, though I haven't yet checked to see if it actually does. These are very nicely done mapbooks, with a lot of accompanying info on various adventure spots. I'm sure I'll get more for the rest of Canada as I wander other provinces.

TIP: I found out after I ordered and paid mine that they are less expensive through Amazon--Backroad Mapbooks for Canada--especially if you're a Prime member, as shipping is less expensive. I paid $30 ($23.78 USD) for shipping to the states, and that was the least expensive option they had. Still a deal really, to purchase from them, as the US dollar is strong against the Canadian dollar right now, so the price ends up quite a bit less than is listed on their site even when you include approx $8USD shipping per book.

Reactions: JimInBC

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I like to watch youtube videos of other peoples trip in the area we are going, be surprised what info you can pick up that way
Very true. I do a lot of this during the winter. There happened to be a guy on youtube that filmed all of these tiny state forests in my region, with descriptions, and routes, and warnings. With an emphasis on free camping areas. I made sure to send a big thanks to him, his work introduced me to at least 3-4 new areas I wasn't aware of.

Reactions: REWDBOY

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Go to your locap outdoor outfitter store and ask any one in there where they go, what they do when the get there, and so forth. once you get an idea wheremothersmare going, make a plan to use that as a backup. Then head out early in the morning tomgive yourself time to explore.

When you are out day tripping be on the lookout for meat poles hanging in the trees... usually this means that you can camp for free here.

Attachments