Hi-Lift: How many people NOT running them?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Are you running a Hi-Lift?

• Yes

Votes: 57 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Yes but all for looks and/or extra piece of mind

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Advocate II

Yewtah
I'm a "no" in most vehicles. Factory bottle jack is my first preference. Exhaust jack or hydraulic jack would be the next. The Hi-Lift can and does work and shown by the 50+ years of their popularity. They do require maintenance, training and safe jacking locations. Tools are tools, no single answer for every job imo.

Irongrave

Rank IV

Advocate II

I will almost always opt for a different kind of jack when needing to lift a vehicle. Now there are many other cases were they are great but lifting is not one of them for me. Also I see this a lot keeping a High Lift style jack out side in the elements is a sure fire way for it not to work as intended on the trail.

A few years ago we came up with this. A simple bottle jack and a piece of channel it works well on a number of different axle sizes and can help keep the bottle jack from slipping.

RainGoat

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Kirkland, WA
Member #

I will almost always opt for a different kind of jack when needing to lift a vehicle. Now there are many other cases were they are great but lifting is not one of them for me. Also I see this a lot keeping a High Lift style jack out side in the elements is a sure fire way for it not to work as intended on the trail.

A few years ago we came up with this. A simple bottle jack and a piece of channel it works well on a number of different axle sizes and can help keep the bottle jack from slipping.

That’s great, wish one of those was available commercially. Slippage is my biggest concern with a bottle jack.

Traveler II

I recently had to swap a tire on a rough trail, and used a bottle jack and two jack stands. No problems. I'm nervous about hi-lifts and can't really imagine a situation I'd get into where I'd need one over a basic bottle jack and/or some other recovery solution.

Reactions: blackntan

NotGumby

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
C
Member #

I have a hi-Lift, but stopped carrying it. With the plastic bumpers on the LC I could only use the lift-mate. I carry the bottle jack with some wood as a base, and a Takla air jack. I still question if it’s the right decision.

Tinker

Rank V

Pathfinder I

West Michigan
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE8HKQ
I quite like the classic hi-lift & everything it can do (lift, winch, pry, squeeze, etc) while at the same time being well aware of the weight & risks. I've had one mounted on various vehicles for going on 17 years now. Mine is currently mounted up on the roof rack, not ideal I know, & I'm looking forward to building a rear bumper so I can move all that weight down low. I like the idea of the newer aluminum takes on the hi-lift design... but that price tag is brutal!

The ARB aluminum "hi-lift"

The Radflo aluminum "hi-lift"

Original hi-lift mounted on my Disco:

Reactions: RainGoat

Laud

Rank V

Advocate III

Southeast Arlington TX
Member #

Ham Callsign
-KG5QHC-
It is a great tool in the right hands!
I have used them for more non vehicle related scenarios than vehicular.
I have never needed or wanted one.

Lunch Box

Rank I

Enthusiast I

The jack does require you do spend some time getting familiar with how it works, and have an understanding that it is inherently unstable. It is a dangerous tool if you don't know what you're doing and commands a lot of respect. However with proper training, it can be one of the most versatile pieces of kit you carry.
^^^THIS^^^

Should be a sticky.

Reactions: NovaBound

blackntan

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
Member #

CHANGE AND FIX TYRES LIKE A PRO. OFF ROAD
Ronny dahl.
YOUTUBE. A MUST WATCH FOR BEGINERS AND EXPERIENCED 4x4. ENTHUSIAST
If only calsberg done. Youtube videos. :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

Inthewoods

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Porterville, CA
Member #

I used Hi-lift on my LC in the past but not for my Dodge. I'll need like a 5-6 foot jack. I carry a bottle jack and wood plank for a platform for safety. It does fine.

The other Sean

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'll carry mine when it's just me or a small group and no one else has one. But, in a large group and I know at least one person will have, I'll leave mine at home.

I always carry my bottle jack/jack stand thing though.

Reactions: RainGoat