Hi-Lift: How many people NOT running them?

• HTML tutorial

Are you running a Hi-Lift?

• Yes

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.6%
  • Yes but all for looks and/or extra piece of mind

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
I'm a "no" in most vehicles. Factory bottle jack is my first preference. Exhaust jack or hydraulic jack would be the next. The Hi-Lift can and does work and shown by the 50+ years of their popularity. They do require maintenance, training and safe jacking locations. Tools are tools, no single answer for every job imo.

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
I will almost always opt for a different kind of jack when needing to lift a vehicle. Now there are many other cases were they are great but lifting is not one of them for me. Also I see this a lot keeping a High Lift style jack out side in the elements is a sure fire way for it not to work as intended on the trail.

A few years ago we came up with this. A simple bottle jack and a piece of channel it works well on a number of different axle sizes and can help keep the bottle jack from slipping.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I will almost always opt for a different kind of jack when needing to lift a vehicle. Now there are many other cases were they are great but lifting is not one of them for me. Also I see this a lot keeping a High Lift style jack out side in the elements is a sure fire way for it not to work as intended on the trail.

A few years ago we came up with this. A simple bottle jack and a piece of channel it works well on a number of different axle sizes and can help keep the bottle jack from slipping.

That’s great, wish one of those was available commercially. Slippage is my biggest concern with a bottle jack.

Traveler I

I recently had to swap a tire on a rough trail, and used a bottle jack and two jack stands. No problems. I'm nervous about hi-lifts and can't really imagine a situation I'd get into where I'd need one over a basic bottle jack and/or some other recovery solution.

Reactions: blackntan

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I have a hi-Lift, but stopped carrying it. With the plastic bumpers on the LC I could only use the lift-mate. I carry the bottle jack with some wood as a base, and a Takla air jack. I still question if it’s the right decision.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I quite like the classic hi-lift & everything it can do (lift, winch, pry, squeeze, etc) while at the same time being well aware of the weight & risks. I've had one mounted on various vehicles for going on 17 years now. Mine is currently mounted up on the roof rack, not ideal I know, & I'm looking forward to building a rear bumper so I can move all that weight down low. I like the idea of the newer aluminum takes on the hi-lift design... but that price tag is brutal!

The ARB aluminum "hi-lift"

The Radflo aluminum "hi-lift"

Original hi-lift mounted on my Disco:

Reactions: RainGoat

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
It is a great tool in the right hands!
I have used them for more non vehicle related scenarios than vehicular.
I have never needed or wanted one.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

The jack does require you do spend some time getting familiar with how it works, and have an understanding that it is inherently unstable. It is a dangerous tool if you don't know what you're doing and commands a lot of respect. However with proper training, it can be one of the most versatile pieces of kit you carry.
^^^THIS^^^

Should be a sticky.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
CHANGE AND FIX TYRES LIKE A PRO. OFF ROAD
Ronny dahl.
YOUTUBE. A MUST WATCH FOR BEGINERS AND EXPERIENCED 4x4. ENTHUSIAST
If only calsberg done. Youtube videos. :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I used Hi-lift on my LC in the past but not for my Dodge. I'll need like a 5-6 foot jack. I carry a bottle jack and wood plank for a platform for safety. It does fine.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'll carry mine when it's just me or a small group and no one else has one. But, in a large group and I know at least one person will have, I'll leave mine at home.

I always carry my bottle jack/jack stand thing though.

Reactions: RainGoat

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Yea I'm thinking of just going for an xjack and find a way to block the other exhaust until I get a metal bumpers.
Even then bud you will have to lift some way to get to your wheel change hight and the foces created allways amaze me But every one to there own devises

Reactions: Fozzy325