Heating for sleeping

• HTML tutorial

FamilyAdventuresOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Virginia Beach, Va
Member #

Here's a couple of shots from our last weekend up in WV. Was around 5-10 degrees outside with the windchill factor. I also had our smaller one hanging in the RTT and only turned it on if I had to. I put a reflective emergency blanket, not the cheap Mylar one, between the support poles and the roof of the tent to help keep the heat from escaping through the fabric, protect the fabric & reflect the heat back down to us. Worked great!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Here's a couple of shots from our last weekend up in WV. Was around 5-10 degrees outside with the windchill factor. I also had our smaller one hanging in the RTT and only turned it on if I had to. I put a reflective emergency blanket, not the cheap Mylar one, between the support poles and the roof of the tent to help keep the heat from escaping through the fabric, protect the fabric & reflect the heat back down to us. Worked great!!

Nice man...looks like a cozy toasty setup !
What kind of tent temperature were you maintaining in that weather?

FamilyAdventuresOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Virginia Beach, Va
Member #

Nice man...looks like a cozy toasty setup !
What kind of tent temperature were you maintaining in that weather?
The first night we only had our small heater hanging on the tent and had to have it run pretty much all night to stay warm. We were bundled up in sleeping bags with a quilt under us and on top of us. The next morning we went and bought the one pictured and put it in the annex. That night I only had to run the little one 3 times for about 15min to take the chill out of the tent. Not sure what the temps were inside, but can tell you the second night I slept on top of the sleeping bag and quilt. The only other thing we did differently between the two nights was the emergency blanket on the roof. The first night it was folded up and stuffed above the heater only. The second night I unfolded the emergency blanket and covered the ceiling from the center to our heads. This made all of the difference in the world!! The next time I'm thinking about getting 2 more emergency blankets and lining the walls in front of the windows. I'm convinced we could get away with just the small one then. Long winded, but I hope that helps.

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

The first night we only had our small heater hanging on the tent and had to have it run pretty much all night to stay warm. We were bundled up in sleeping bags with a quilt under us and on top of us. The next morning we went and bought the one pictured and put it in the annex. That night I only had to run the little one 3 times for about 15min to take the chill out of the tent. Not sure what the temps were inside, but can tell you the second night I slept on top of the sleeping bag and quilt. The only other thing we did differently between the two nights was the emergency blanket on the roof. The first night it was folded up and stuffed above the heater only. The second night I unfolded the emergency blanket and covered the ceiling from the center to our heads. This made all of the difference in the world!! The next time I'm thinking about getting 2 more emergency blankets and lining the walls in front of the windows. I'm convinced we could get away with just the small one then. Long winded, but I hope that helps.

Awesome! We have the same setup as you pretty much with tent/annex and the same heater. Your second night description is what I envisioned. The emergency blanket is a great idea for the real cold nights. So we have a 20lb tank also. Did you heat and cook on it for a couple of days in camp or just heat? Im wondering how long it would last. I don't think that heater would put a huge hit on the tank for a couple nights. If this weather don't break soon, we will be finding out ourselves in a week...lol.

Thx for the info my friend, looked like a great time :sunglasses:

FamilyAdventuresOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Virginia Beach, Va
Member #

Awesome! We have the same setup as you pretty much with tent/annex and the same heater. Your second night description is what I envisioned. The emergency blanket is a great idea for the real cold nights. So we have a 20lb tank also. Did you heat and cook on it for a couple of days in camp or just heat? Im wondering how long it would last. I don't think that heater would put a huge hit on the tank for a couple nights. If this weather don't break soon, we will be finding out ourselves in a week...lol.

Thx for the info my friend, looked like a great time :sunglasses:
We cooked and used it for heat. The little one we have goes through a 1lbs bottle every 5hrs. The larger one burns a little more. So figure no more than 2lbs of propane per night. That's at least 9-10 nights of heat in a 20lbs bottle. The best part of the annex is its toasty warm when you come down the ladder to change in the morning.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Does anyone use an electric blanket for warming the bed and tent? I can run one for a while off my goal zero 400. But is that effective? I’ve never used an electric blanket, warm enough?

Reactions: OCD7785

AJoslin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tempe, Arizona
First Name
Abram
Last Name
Joslin
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We have the Mr buddy heater and I like it. We used it in our big tent (8-10 person size) and it didn't seem to warm it up too much, but I had nothing to direct or keep the heat in the tent, so it all went out the top. I've got some good ideas to keep the heat in the tent now by reading this thread, though.

Traveler I

@NomadJeep15 something that helps a lot if you’re going to be sleeping in your car is getting a handful of those reflective windshield inserts that block out the sun during the summer. You can find them really cheap. Cut those out to fit each window and it will serve two purposes, insulate the vehicle really well and also black out the windows so you have privacy and keeps light out. You can put them all together and roll them up to store. Mine rolls up into about the size of your typical sleeping pad

Reactions: AJoslin

OCD7785

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Goose Creek, SC
Member #

Does anyone use an electric blanket for warming the bed and tent? I can run one for a while off my goal zero 400. But is that effective? I’ve never used an electric blanket, warm enough?

My wife has one she got off of amazon it uses a 12 volt socket. Just to warm up her sleeping bag about 20 min before bed. It’s alittle bigger than a throw size.

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF

I think anything heating related with battery power will suck down the amps pretty quickly. An electric blanket might not be as bad as an actual heater or hot plate stove type of thing though.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

I think anything heating related with battery power will suck down the amps pretty quickly. An electric blanket might not be as bad as an actual heater or hot plate stove type of thing though.
I picked up an electric blanket from Macy’s. I’m running on my yeti 400 and it pulls 197w and hour. But I only need 30 mins right before bed to get it all toasty. Works great. Just don’t forget to turn it off.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Is this hose specific to this heating unit? Or is it just the Coleman small bottle propane tread? Looking for something like this for my double burner.

It should work on anything using the small propane canisters. I just ordered a propane double burner myself with the intention of using the adapter hose.

Reactions: 805RADO

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

IMO & for the safety of me & the wife, I purchased the Propex H2000, thermostatically controlled blown air heating system (duct in to the tent) fueled by propane & 12v. for our RTT. No worries of dangerous CO2's or fire from small propane type heater tipping over onto sleeping bags or anything combustible. The H2000 has solid state electronic thermostat (is in the tent) which automatically switches the heating unit on and off to maintain the desired temperature. The unit itself is outside & the heating ducting is in fished inside the tent. When the inside of the tent temperature drops below the selected temperature on the thermostat, the Propex heating system will automatically ignite and run until the inside of the tent reaches the selected temperature again. This works much like the same as your household heating system.

http://store.adventuretrailers.com/copy-of-portable-furnace-heatsource-hs2000/

Last edited:

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
I was wondering if there is a solution for a good portable power source that is charged at home - to power a good ole' 12V electric blanket? I was hoping to avoid using an inverter/extra battery and my ceiling in my RTT is too short (40") to run propane heat inside. This is an example of my tent in the picture, so an electric blanket would be ideal - and I don't plan on any arctic expeditions, just some fall and spring outings.

Attachments

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We just got back from our trip to Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. Some of the nights got pretty cold when we were at higher elevations. I put a heating pad in bed with us and it was awsome! It drew hardly any current. Turned it on about an hour before we went to bed and it was nice a toasty.

Reactions: ob4838