Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Planning a trip in mid-August to the Pacific Northwest, Eugene Oregon for sure, may drive up the 101 from there. Looking for a few good places to camp, hike, anything a must see in the area? We'll have franken-daughter with us, so we can't go too primitive. (Teenagers!)

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

The Sea Hag in Depoe Bay, best clam chowder on the planet. Look for Nana's Irish Pub in the Nye Beach area of Newport, try the meatloaf you won't be disappointed. And across the street is Stephanie's Cafe, a great place for breakfast. ( we travel to eat if you haven't already figured)

The Drift Creek Falls trail by Newport is a nice wooded stroll, nothing to serious. If you go to Pacific City you can drive on the beach and have a picnic.

Reactions: BeardedOverland

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Smith Rock State Park, north of Bend

Mt Hood area

Columbia River Gorge

If you're a track fan, you have to stop at Tracktown, USA in Eugene to see where Steve Prefontaine ran (daughter is a runner) and go to Voodoo Donuts without the crowds at the one in Portland. And as noted above, Crater Lake.

Along the coast, there's Tillamook Cheese, Ruby Beach, all the Lewis and Clark stuff in Astoria, and more. It took us almost a month just to get out of Washington and Oregon last fall.

Adventure Ready

Rank II

Advocate II

Tillamook State Forest has great trails (and lots of them) if you want to stay on that I-5 corridor. I'd also check out Highway 101 along the coast if you can get out there - one of the best drives in the country. If you want to get off road more and can get over to Eastern Oregon there's the Steens Mountain and Alford Desert area in the South and the John Day area in the North. And nothing but open land and roads all the way in between.
Cheers!

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
We made it back.... 3500 miles on the road in five days. We drove to central Oregon coast and camped there for three days, and ran over to Eugene to visit an old friend. Then we made the trek to Yosemite Valley to visit family on their last season in the park before driving back to Arizona. A lot of drive time, but great family time all the more. We did see some amazing country, and are planning another trip to the area, thinking of flying to Portland and hiking the PCT down the coast... 20160814_155335.jpg 20160814_155211.jpg 20160814_142924.jpg 20160813_180115.jpg 20160818_174833.jpg 20160818_174509.jpg IMG_20160817_111838.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Steve and Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

We made it back.... 3500 miles on the road in five days. We drove to central Oregon coast and camped there for three days, and ran over to Eugene to visit an old friend. Then we made the trek to Yosemite Valley to visit family on their last season in the park before driving back to Arizona. A lot of drive time, but great family time all the more. We did see some amazing country, and are planning another trip to the area, thinking of flying to Portland and hiking the PCT down the coast... View attachment 7115 View attachment 7116 View attachment 7117 View attachment 7118 View attachment 7119 View attachment 7120 View attachment 7121
The Oregon Coast is beautiful. Glad you had fun. Hiking the PCT sounds exciting!

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Did you stop at the Sea Lion caves? I do not know what it is about that place, I just have to stop and walk down and see them. The first time I was there I was 7; oh so many years ago.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Did you stop at the Sea Lion caves? I do not know what it is about that place, I just have to stop and walk down and see them. The first time I was there I was 7; oh so many years ago.
We did, the family really enjoyed it. Almost too much to see and do in the area. We're going to have to plan another trip soon.

Reactions: Gunnermoose

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
And of course after you get home, you always find a guide like this...

The Oregon Coast draws tourists from around the world every year, attracted to the region for its rugged terrain and natural beauty. But while many of these visitors might not explore beyond the viewpoints lining Highway 101, Oregonians know that the best views require a little work.

Just in time for the weekend, check out these five hikes with beautiful views on the Oregon Coast. Mostly situated along the northern and central coast, they come with occasional boulder scrambles, muddy paths, and some extra effort to reach the summit. But is there any other way to really appreciate the view from the top?

1. Neahkahnie Mountain

Neahkahnie Mountain, part of the Oregon Coast Trail, offers breathtaking views of Manzanita and the Pacific Ocean.

Thomas Shahan
There are two routes for scaling Neahkahnie Mountain : The northernmost trailhead starts along Highway 101 and promises a longer, steeper climb, while the southern trailhead offers a shorter ascent but the same breathtaking payoff.

Hikers coming from the northern trailhead will start along an exposed meadow before entering a dense forest, with occasional ocean views and seasonal wildflower displays along the way.

It’s a moderately steep hike to the top, and a small rock scramble to the summit might unnerve some hikers. But it’s worth the effort: The viewpoint from atop Neahkahnie Mountain offers unencumbered views of Manzanita, roughly eight miles to the south, as well as the Oregon Coast Range and the mouth of the Nehalem River.

2. Cascade Head

Cascade Head offers some of the best views on the Oregon Coast; it's also a popular whale-watching destination.

Numerous trails—all catering to hikers of all experience levels—offer something for everyone on and around Cascade Head . Attractions include colorful wildflowers, barking sea lions, windswept meadows, old-growth forest, and breathtaking ocean views

The view from the top of the viewpoint, which requires an occasionally steep climb to access, is one of the best along the Oregon Coast.

3. Cape Falcon

Cape Falcon offers views of Smugglers Cove and Neahkahnie Mountain en route to a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Eli Duke
The Cape Falcon trail, one of numerous hikes throughout Oswald West State Park, takes hikers through an old-growth forest that feels worlds away from the Oregon Coast. In roughly three miles, hikers cross creeks, dodge downed tree trunks, and walk among towering Sitka spruce trees.

But the coast is never far away: A junction at the half-mile mark leads to Short Sand Beach, a secluded stretch that’s popular with surfers during the warmer months. Back on the main trail, hikers start a climb through thick forest toward the viewpoint, roughly 200 feet above the sea. Occasional views of Smugglers Cove and Neahkahnie Mountain open up en route to the end of the trail, where hikers have unfettered views of the Pacific Ocean.

The hike gains less than 500 feet over about three miles, making it accessible even to casual hikers. But the trail is often muddy and wet for long stretches, so hikers should come equipped with proper footwear.

4. Ecola State Park

Ecola State Park is home to nearly 10 miles of trails.

Ralph Arvesen
Nearly 10 miles of trails are available to hikers throughout Ecola State Park , situated between Cannon Beach and Seaside. Even better: None are especially daunting (though most are frequently muddy), and numerous viewpoints at Ecola Point, Indian Point, Indian Beach, and Tillamook Head make frequent breaks an especially inviting option.

Hikers wanting to check out the beach can take the trails to Indian Beach and Crescent Beach, while those looking for scenic viewpoints can enjoy the climb over Tillamook Head (which offers views of the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse).

Backpackers can stay overnight at Hikers’ Camp, a small enclave of covered shelters with wooden bunk platforms; the campsite includes a picnic shelter, fire pit, and firewood available for purchase.

5. Saddle Mountain

Saddle Mountain offers panoramic views on clear days.

brx0
On a sunny day, few other hikes in the state can match the views afforded at theSaddle Mountain summit, about 15 miles inland from the northern Oregon Coast. Getting there takes a little work, though.

The hike climbs more than 1,600 feet in less than three miles, with dense forests, open meadows, and seasonal wildflower displays along the way. The hike is recommended for more experienced hikers with the proper footwear, thanks to to its steep ascent and occasionally rocky scrambles.

Shortly after the two-mile mark, hikers must traverse a small “saddle”—losing a few feet of elevation before one final, merciful scramble—en route to the summit. On clear days, the summit offers panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean, the mouth of the Columbia River and nearby Astoria, and the stunning Cascade Range.

Originally written by RootsRated. https://marmot.com/love-the-outside/5-hikes-with-beautiful-views-on-the-oregon-coast

Featured image provided by Thomas Shahan

Reactions: AlysonH

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I lived in Oregon when I was 10. Just for a short time due to my Dad's work. We could see Mt. Hood from our front yard. It was near Bend, Tumalo. The Deshutes river was in our back yard.

This thread has made me decide to go back up there and show my wife.

It'll be a few years, but the decision is made.

Do you have any idea how much you are going to cost me ............ ?