Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Arrrgh, turns out they are not a dealer. They don't even know why they were listed....
I'm a hands on guy I want to feel the heft and balance before i buy.

Reactions: Road

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not that I don't like it, but the handles tend to break and you can't replace the handle.
If it breaks it is from user error. I know because I screwed one up. However, the warranty is for life, and they sent me a new hatchet. I didn’t even have to pay for shipping

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Here you go, hatchet/machete in one tool LOL! Personally I like having a couple of hatchets and machetes, I like the idea of the Woodsman Pal but someone has to make one that isn't so crazy expensive!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Found this when I searched Woodsman Pal on Amazon, not bad for $26, rated 4.7 out of 5!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've clicked both since posting them and I can see the item and it opens the link just fine. I'm on my work computer behind a firewall and proxy server using the Edge browser.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I've clicked both since posting them and I can see the item and it opens the link just fine. I'm on my work computer behind a firewall and proxy server using the Edge browser.
I'm not picking on your links, I get the same results from everyone's Amazon links. Using Firefox behind a VPN routing to a US address. The link is always dead.
Screenshot_20210309-102637~2.png

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Is it just me or do Amazon links not work for everyone?

All I see is the Amazon "A" icon, and the link is inop on every one of them.
Bruce - I see that in my browser because of my Permissions/Tracking settings. If I change my permissions back, I see a working link. Not sure about mobile, however.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Not that I don't like it, but the handles tend to break and you can't replace the handle.
I have 2 fiskars for more than 10 years, they went through some serious abuse, almost everybody I knew that does stuff with wood has got a fiskars and I knew only one broken handle and that was real hardcore user error.
About machete, I really like them, I have a crkt "Ken Onion - halfachance" that is regularly used. It's more versatile than a axe in my opinion, just not good chopping or splitting hard wood.
Machete is perfect for clearing brushes and small wood stuff. I'd say small axe + machete is the best combination.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Bruce - I see that in my browser because of my Permissions/Tracking settings. If I change my permissions back, I see a working link. Not sure about mobile, however.
Yeah I use U Origin and Privacy Badger both, they are probably blocking the attached trackers and breaking the link.

Oh well, I think I'll just keep using them
Screenshot_20210309-124718.png
ETA : U Origin

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought a harbor freight axe for $8 and use a coarse file to sharpen it and it works pretty good. did the same with a harbor freight machete.
i used more expensive gear in the past and this does everything it did. i had a mid priced gerber machete and that blade chipped like nothing, so i actually like my cheap HF machete better because the steel is softer and doesnt chip and using a file to sharpen it actually makes a bunch of mini serrations on the blade and it goes thru tall grass and light brush with ease

HF had the machete on sale for $3.99 and i bought a couple. even used one to whack a water mocassin, so its pretty sharp

here i have harbor freight axe and machete and kershaw and ka-bar machete

IMG_0517.JPG

1615388227283.png

Last edited:

sleak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I think the answer to this question should start with, "Where are you going?" Machetes are good for clearing southern brush (kudzu, etc.), but not much use out west. There you need something to process larger wood, such as a saw and a hatchet or knife for batonning.
I also have a WWII-era Woodman's Pal I inherited from my father; it has a knuckle guard (like a sword) and a green canvas case with pistol belt hooks. They're kind of all-around tools for when you don't know where you'll be; brush hook, machete/ax, and the end can dig small holes.

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

I have both, but definitely finding a need for a bigger axe or saw(like the ones just listed on the OB store!) for chopping bigger logs

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
The Arny still used Machetes when I was in. Engineer tool boxes had them as standard issue. Had a sharperner in the sheath so every time you removed and replaced it, it fixed the edge. Pretty nice for clearing underbrush for firing lanes

Reactions: sleak

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
How big are the trees and deadfall in the areas where you usually camp? If you can find 3-6" diameter limbs then there's not much need to split logs, you can use some smaller branches to get the fire started. I like to use a Silky saw (Big Boy) to buck up limbs into logs since it is lower effort and wastes less wood than an axe or hatchet. I do carry a hatchet, but I hardly ever use it.

Reactions: MazeVX

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I carry a Fisker splitting axe , a regular axe and a machete. Here in BC you find rounds left from logging that can spilt up pretty easy, the machete works on low scrub and branches on downed trees.

I used the axe to notch bigger trees on the road so I can pull them free, a handsaw or chain saw works works to, but I like swinging an axe

Slambo1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gaffney, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Slamin
Member #

Service Branch
Army/Air Force
I am looking to get a new hatchet to replace my Fiskars, fiber handled one. I've been online looking for American made and came upon the Woodmans pal machete; Emergency Survival & Outdoor Brush Clearing Tool - Woodman's Pak

Anyone have one and yer thoughts? Or a traditional hatchet for those camp uses, kindiling, tent stakes, small branch lopping, throwing at small animals and children, Just kidding on the last one!
Woodman’s is the best! An American Icon! I try to avoid purchasing products made in China as much as possible!

Reactions: Sparksalot

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Has anyone seen the guy that purchased the harbor freight axe and made some small revisions and swears it is the best axe now?