Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
it basically means primitive camping or dispersed camping...free camping with nothing but what you bring. no supplied water, electric and generally its not even a designated spot, just an area and you set up wherever. this is common on BLM land, like in NM
The place you took your sweetie to make out before you could afford a motel room.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I completely understand and appreciate this reply!

Although I will say that "boondock/boondocking" is a term that is new to me. anyone kind enough to elaborate?? is this like a "forgetaboutit" situation.... lol

AA
It could be anywhere you have a good chance of getting stuck if you don't have a 4x4. Usually a place as far away as you can get from everyone else.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It could be anywhere you have a good chance of getting stuck if you don't have a 4x4. Usually a place as far away as you can get from everyone else.
Now you are defining a different word.

Boondocks (noun): Out in the sticks, far from civilization

Boondocking (verb): Camping in an undeveloped site

I grew up in the boondocks, but living there wasn't boondocking. We didn't get electricity until I was 6, but we did have running water and a water closet in the house.

Reactions: old_man

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
For us, boondocking is the same as camping at a state campground, only without the campground.

Usually off road kinda. An open field, a beach, private property, the frackin desert, etc.etc. Half way to overlanding, but held back by 25'+ giganto trailers.

Reactions: DoubleA_FL

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

I grew up in the boondocks, but living there wasn't boondocking. We didn't get electricity until I was 6, but we did have running water and a water closet in the house.
Mmm......It seems my answer in post #399 above falls on both....noun and verb. My bottom line,....just getting out there, away from the hustle and bustle of life,....aka....the rat race.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

When you boondock you are going boondocking, HUH ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For us, boondocking is the same as camping at a state campground, only without the campground.

Usually off road kinda. An open field, a beach, private property, the frackin desert, etc.etc. Half way to overlanding, but held back by 25'+ giganto trailers.
Out in the swamp by Grubworms shack.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Overlanding can be boondocking, but boondocking isn't overlanding.

as in

A Porterhouse is a t bone, but a t bone isn't a Porterhouse.
You got me there, I only eat hamburger and Spam. What is porterhouse and T bone anyway ?

• Haha
Reactions: MidOH and Captstout

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Everybody acts like this is a new thing. As professional photographers, my wife and I have backpacked the Rocky Mountains from Mexico to Canada. The idea was to stay as close to where you wanted to take the pix at sunrise the next morning. You can count on your fingers how many times I have paid to camp in the last 50 years, and those were normally self serve sites on state land. My wife just calls it being cheap.

Last edited:

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Its crazy that all of this now adays have titles. Like Tom just said everyone thinks its the new fancy dancy thing...give it a name and boom its claimed. Its been a thing sense folks in wagons came across the divide, and there and in between. Makes my laugh about how its the whole in thing nowadays. Its like um weren’t we doing the same thing before. Like fasion, kids are wearing what is cool now was how everything was in the 80s. Been there done that..have the tshirt. With new technology advances it makes stuff way easier. But boonedocking is just a facy word for dry camping. Spent alot of time in a back county of colorado with nothing but a saddle horse with saddle bags full of my own stuff and a pack horse full of gear. Cant remember how many times sleeping in a horse trailer felt nice because it was off the ground. Traveling some of those old wagon trails or the actual route of the overland stage by horse, foot gives a person the perspective of the view when people first saw alot of the country we get to access. If those people could see what we are using now to “overland” and “boondock”. They’d be pretty jealous, 50 years ago to now I am sure dry camping then to now seems primitive.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I love how folks state that you dont need such and such vehicle for overlanding or mud tires or winch etc etc. But i see posts asking what is the best all terrain tire to not get stuck ( short answer mud tires) then there is conversations about what the best sand tracks are (short answer air down your those mud tires and you wont sink in the sand ) the truth about all terrain tires is they are fancy street tires. So the answer to the elitism question is maybe were not elitist maybe some folks have been playing off road long enough to know what works. If your just going camping at state parks, a day on the beach or walmart parking lot you really dont need anything special just a vehicle, but if you plan to go deep into the wilderness then you need the 4x4 mud tires and a winch other wise it may be a while before you see any civilization. If you dont go offroad with your overlanding vehicle then maybe you dont have anything to say about gear or the use therein. If i come across someone who is stuck offroad in a non offroad vehicle because they think they are overlanding im more than happy to get you out but i am going to ask you why you thought you can go where clearly your vehicle dont belong. Example 2 weeks ago my wife and i were playing around in some muddy water around 5 ft deep we have a snorkel and associated watercrossing preparations and a guy in a brand new raptor figured his expensive truck can do it stock ya know its a raptor and all and he seen his mortal enemy the colorado doing something fun so he had to try, he gunned the raptor into the water and before he knew it his AT tires were slipping, truck was dead and he was sitting neck deep in water, we winched him out and i showed him how to get all the water out of the engine and electronics and much repect to ford after 2 cans of wd40 it started again. Point of the story is the guy learned even though he has an expesive production offroad vehicle he cant go everywhere someone with a purpose modified 4x4 can go. I was the elitist that day but when a jeep can go where i cant or have trouble getting too hes the elitist its all relative. Everyones a dick sometimes.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Its crazy that all of this now adays have titles. Like Tom just said everyone thinks its the new fancy dancy thing...give it a name and boom its claimed. Its been a thing sense folks in wagons came across the divide, and there and in between. Makes my laugh about how its the whole in thing nowadays. Its like um weren’t we doing the same thing before. Like fasion, kids are wearing what is cool now was how everything was in the 80s. Been there done that..have the tshirt. With new technology advances it makes stuff way easier. But boonedocking is just a facy word for dry camping. Spent alot of time in a back county of colorado with nothing but a saddle horse with saddle bags full of my own stuff and a pack horse full of gear. Cant remember how many times sleeping in a horse trailer felt nice because it was off the ground. Traveling some of those old wagon trails or the actual route of the overland stage by horse, foot gives a person the perspective of the view when people first saw alot of the country we get to access. If those people could see what we are using now to “overland” and “boondock”. They’d be pretty jealous, 50 years ago to now I am sure dry camping then to now seems primitive.
Where did you go in Colorado. I probably packed or hiked those same trails. I even packed my city wife up to the Boulderfield on Longs. I lived in Walden and did a ton in what is now Zerkel. Back then it wasn't wilderness.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Where did you go in Colorado. I probably packed or hiked those same trails. I even packed my city wife up to the Boulderfield on Longs. I lived in Walden and did a ton in what is now Zerkel. Back then it wasn't wilderness.
I am sure you have sense most of that time spent was in your back yard. rawahs wilderness and the Comanche peak wilderness was a lead guide and packer for a company called rawah wilderness outfitters that operated out of rawah ranch. So from 230 from wyocolo to highway 14 and up close to rocky mtn National park. Alot of time spent on ute pass rawah peaks shipman park west branch trails blue lake. That list can go a long ways. We had Garth Peterson’s old forest permits and did alot with jim brink. Ive had my horses all over colorado personally trying to find places to get away from people. Its breath taking to sit on top of grassy pass and look down and see walden to the west and see for ever to the east. Been up into wyoming quite a bit. Dont like going farther north cus of bears and horses dont mix well. Least mine dont. Know that area well enough to ride from sunset to sun up with out looking at a map. That was a while ago. Had to become an adult and work for a living instead of for fun. The zerks are amazing. I really like the flattops too. Spent a pile of money in a walden bar!! Hauled hay and cows out of north park from 2011 tell last year. Havent been up there in a 6 months. Its a good place where its still pretty untamed

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
It don't really matter how little it costs. If your vehicles does what you expect it to do and your gear does the job you want it to do...you're all set and good to go.
It works for me.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The Little Grizzly and Big Grizzly creeks came together on our property and formed the North Platte. I spent a ton of time hiking up to Kathleen, Bighorn, Blue, and Peggy Lakes in what is now Zerkel Wilderness. Kathleen is one of the prettiest places to camp in Colorado. You should do a search on the unexplained lake monster sightings over the last 80 years. It is several hundred feet deep. It is a short 3 mile hike from the trailhead. You access it through the Noffsinger Ranch access. The fishing was great in the beaver ponds as well. Peggy lake had a bunch of hungry trout that were probably 22" inches long but extremely skinny.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Ive been on some guided fishing trips with the north park anglers and got to fish some cool waters. How many rivers in north park I dont remember but there are alot. Use to haul hay out of a place straight west of the old grizzly ranch. The road that takes you to buffalo pass before it turns to dirt the road forks and to go right back into an amazing area. South of the noffsinger ranch. They call it coalmont went in there with my semi at 2 in the morning thinking i was lost woke up at the base of those mountains wasnt lost but was pretty. That hike has been on my bucket list for almost a year now.