Has overlanding become elitist ?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

old_man

Rank V

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham Callsign
WØNUT
The Little Grizzly and Big Grizzly creeks came together on our property and formed the North Platte. I spent a ton of time hiking up to Kathleen, Bighorn, Blue, and Peggy Lakes in what is now Zerkel Wilderness. Kathleen is one of the prettiest places to camp in Colorado. You should do a search on the unexplained lake monster sightings over the last 80 years. It is several hundred feet deep. It is a short 3 mile hike from the trailhead. You access it through the Noffsinger Ranch access. The fishing was great in the beaver ponds as well. Peggy lake had a bunch of hungry trout that were probably 22" inches long but extremely skinny.

Roam_CO85

Rank VI

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Ive been on some guided fishing trips with the north park anglers and got to fish some cool waters. How many rivers in north park I dont remember but there are alot. Use to haul hay out of a place straight west of the old grizzly ranch. The road that takes you to buffalo pass before it turns to dirt the road forks and to go right back into an amazing area. South of the noffsinger ranch. They call it coalmont went in there with my semi at 2 in the morning thinking i was lost woke up at the base of those mountains wasnt lost but was pretty. That hike has been on my bucket list for almost a year now.

Roam_CO85

Rank VI

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

You are from that area too than? The muntz ranch is the only one besides the Harvat’s ranch that i know who they are. There are few more that i cant remember besides the spicer ranch

Michael Dean

Rank II

Traveler III

Brownsville Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Ham Callsign
KG5QZV
My Rig is. 1999 K1500 Suburban with a 2.5” lift. It takes me everywhere I need to go in North America. I have always used the tools and camping equipment I collected over the years. Oldi but goodie is the word. What I love about Overland Bound is “whatever you drive” Adventure is Necessary! Unlike other overland sights, i am not judged by my gear or the rig i drive.
Just keep being the best version of you wherever you explore.

Michael Dean

Attachments

Reactions: Wallygator

Contributor I

The Netherlands
First Name
Steve
Last Name
K
Thats the thing nowadays with socialmedia.. constantly seeing mostly these €100.000 "overland rigs".
I know most of these guys worked hard for there goodies and or let other things pas in life to buy that sweet cruiser.

Do i want a €100.000 overland vehicle.. absolutly! Can i afford one... no freaken way.. not now.

And so i bought a new RTT , threw it on the roof of my old €2000 Nissan sedan and made an 3 week epic roadtrip trough some of the most beautiful and remote backcountry roads in Norwegian Lapland ...
Would it been more comfortabel in a shiny Landcruiser, absolutly, and would have saved my 2 back wheels bearings of my Nissan sedan haha.. But i was still out there, enjoying every minute of it!

So long story short.. most of this elitist thing is i our mind, don't let it stop you going on adventures,
do with what you have and maybe one day do that in that €100.000 rig but don't be waiting at home for that day to come!

Steve.

412DAF24-1BBF-4380-8A3B-AA97F7C156DC.jpeg

Last edited: