First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
That's funny.
I have a similar but opposite story. I was leading a "beginner" trail ride at a 4wd event with about 30 rigs. I had 3 brand new H1 Hummers (two were shiny black)and a new Grand Cherokee. I kind of cringed when I was walking the line up checking the rigs and making sure everyone was ready and aired down. I thought "gawd I hope they don't get mad about the scratches they will get on this route ( I did cover possible miner damage at driver meeting)This was a mild drive in the desert about 2 levels harder than a dirt road with a few low rock piles. At lunch break I discovered that one of the Hummers some how caved in a rear quarter panel. Not sure how he did that but there it was. The funny part was the Hummers and the Cherokee were actually friends and relatives. The wife was the one who dented the Hummer and her comment was "OH Well" stuff happens. Its a good thing we own a Jeep/Hummer dealership. After back at camp, they sought me out and thanked me for a great trail ride and asked about other slightly more difficult trails they could go play at.
I guess it's all how you look at it.
Good story that's probably seen and heard every day somewhere. Yes, I think you could look at it a little differently when your loaded with dough and own the Damn dealership.
I hate to hear that guiltless saying "things happen" coming from anyone's mouth. I wonder if the lady would say the same thing if someone sucked her cat up the vacuum cleaner so carelessly ?

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Conspicuous consumption is a hallmark of 21st century civilization, for better or for worse many will judge you by what you have not who you are.

I'm new to this, but I find this community to be friendly, accommodating and generally non judgemental. That is refreshing indeed.

I am fortunate to have the assets to obtain what I need, and even more so to be able to obtain what I want.

Less is more.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I pull all of the tape out of my tape measure, crumble it up, set to retract, then throw it at my cat.

If it scares an industrial drywall guy, you should see how cats react to it.
Must be some ornery in me, I love to tease cats to see how they will react. I have a red laser light pen and my cat would almost climb the wall to get it. I use to let her chase it across the room while aiming it under the couch that she couldn't get under. She would sit there for hours waiting for the lite to come out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Conspicuous consumption is a hallmark of 21st century civilization, for better or for worse many will judge you by what you have not who you are.

I'm new to this, but I find this community to be friendly, accommodating and generally non judgemental. That is refreshing indeed.

I am fortunate to have the assets to obtain what I need, and even more so to be able to obtain what I want.
Less is more.
There is no such thing as equal in the world so to think one can make it happen is foolish. In my opinion seeing people with more dosent make me want what they have, but it does give me more drive to work harder to obtain what I want. We cant all be millionaires or even rich but we can all fulfill our desires when we work hard and be frugal. We appreciate it more as well. God sees to my needs, I see to my wants !

Contributor I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
K
I’m brand new to this. So I’ll give my perspective. These “elitists” create Popularity popularity attracts new comers. New comers bring in more minds. More minds brings innovation. Innovation creates competition. Competition creates better value and more selection. There will always be high and low valued gear. It’s in every hobby. Sometimes we are lucky enough where the cheaper products can be just as good.

I am coming from a travel trailer that I have owned a year and haven’t even truly used it yet. It’s inconvenient, bulky, maintenance, and just an overall PIA. I’ve done some reflection of my youth. Tents, truck beds, dirt bikes, fishing, bonfires, bullets and beers. That’s camping for me. And that’s what I want for my kids. Not a parking lot for driveway drinking and satellite tv.

gone are the days of going to a family friends property for the weekend. Getting out there requires a little more planning at this stage. The overland forums, thanks to popularity make all of this a little easier for me. I can still go to all the same places the 10k gear goes. Sure some of it’s luxury, but for the most part, being out there is all that matters. There will always be someone with more stuff than me, and I’m ok with that. As long as people are people and stay humble, life is good. Maybe they will even share their fancy gear.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

Less is more.
Hmmmm, I know quite a few minimalists that are quite the eletists in their own right.

• Haha
Reactions: DoggMan1163

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hmmmm, I know quite a few minimalists that are quite the eletists in their own right.
How so, could you (or anyone here in this thread) give me an example of any elitist. I don't know how to define an elitist for lack of experience with the type of people in this hobby. I might be one and don't even realize it. Is it a bad thing and if so how, why ? I know what elite means and it has always been associated with the rich (exclusive), but is it bad to be rich ? Are the minimalist elite you know rich, poor or in between ? If being elite is not bad, why does it bother everyone ? Are we just jealous ? If being elite is good, then why do we complain about the elite ? I have no opinion as of yet myself !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My wife gives me hell when I tear up my rig I just remind her that I'm not driving her car
Uh oh, I smell a money issue not your driving skills. To solve that issue you must place in her had an equal amount of money as your rig damage cost you. It won't stop her from giving you hell and may even find her inspecting your rig after each outing, but when she finds the damage it will make her a happy camper...:relieved:

• Haha

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't drink ,Bud, Coors, Miller that makes me a eletists. As for overlanding anybody getting out there is good with me. If you're going to tell me how to manage a point in the trail. I might want to look at your rig first. Not being a eletiste, I just want to make sure you know your stuff, feel free to look under my hood too.

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Uh oh, I smell a money issue not your driving skills. To solve that issue you must place in her had an equal amount of money as your rig damage cost you. It won't stop her from giving you hell and may even find her inspecting your rig after each outing, but when she finds the damage it will make her a happy camper...:relieved:
I gave her the opportunity to go get her own vehicle and she returned wit a Buick I promptly offered her to buy it a lift kit and put a winch bumper on it which was met with a book dodging answer lol

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
How so, could you (or anyone here in this thread) give me an example of any elitist. I don't know how to define an elitist for lack of experience with the type of people in this hobby. I might be one and don't even realize it. Is it a bad thing and if so how, why ? I know what elite means and it has always been associated with the rich (exclusive), but is it bad to be rich ? Are the minimalist elite you know rich, poor or in between ? If being elite is not bad, why does it bother everyone ? Are we just jealous ? If being elite is good, then why do we complain about the elite ? I have no opinion as of yet myself !
Search Youtube for "Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen" and you will have the perfect example of elite minimalism. Just swap a few words like RTT for house, tent for cardboard box, trail mix for gravel... I am sure you will be able to recognize where you have seen such a perspective before.

• Haha

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I don't think he is specifically referring to people in this thread, or even the over landing community.

Elitists come in all shapes and sizes, but it you want to find "minimalist elitists" look to the ultralight backpacking community for some of the best examples you will ever see.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I gave her the opportunity to go get her own vehicle and she returned wit a Buick I promptly offered her to buy it a lift kit and put a winch bumper on it which was met with a book dodging answer lol
You did the right thing, you know women though, she has an option of changing her mind on a whim. She may want the 44" light bar too.LOL.

• Haha