Off-Road Ranger I

Rogers,AR
First Name
Mace
Last Name
Bewley
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ5NWA
Checking in with another vote for ICOM radios, ID5100 mobile in the Jeep and a ID51a coming for Xmas.

But I wont knock the Boafengs, for the price i keep a couple in the bag just in case...

Reactions: Graeman

whitneysc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whitney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I bought one for our Death Valley trip! The only thing I could hear was the rig in front of me and the one behind me!
Was this new user unfamiliarity with the equipment or proven to be a problem with the radios inability to perform?
I like to give equipment the benefit of the doubt until I prove it's the gear and not user error. Could have easily been a low power setting or a bad rubber duck antenna that caused poor performance

I'm new to current HAM technology but have been making comms since the '70s. VHF tactical, UHF for aircraft, long-haul HF with a fishing reel long wire antenna and currently SATCOM data shots across the globe. We have Yaesu's and ICOM's in our kit and they are awesome, rugged and reliable. I wouldn't trust a Baofeng on deployment. Yet they're too expensive to dive into as a starter.
The point I was trying to make for a new user like SDRover who only wants limited purpose comms that may (or may not) catch the HAM bug, these are easy to use, and a low barrier to entry (cost). My entire dual-band HAM investment (including install) for a vehicle mobile with dual antennas and four HTs (with multiple antennas is less than $500. These give me the flexibility for all family members on a single vehicle or equipping five separate vehicles.

That's what I call bang for the Buck!

If at a later time an individual decides to upgrade to something better... then this entire investment still holds resale value.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Wow wasn’t trying to run anyone off or create a controversy, Was just relating my personal experience with the Boefeng I purchased!

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
I don't see anybody running anybody off here, we all provided our experiences with the radios. I never said don't buy one, nor did I ever say just give up and don't run HAM. Perhaps not aimed at me but I also didn't see anybody else who crossed that line.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Im thinking more as a cautionary note than pointing at anybody. I have seen some forums where the established hams really laid it on thick. A couple right here on OB. I like to think of this group as inclusionary, and I hope we can maintain that in all our discussions. Sorry to offend anyone - not pointing the finger.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Nope, that's a fair point, I too have seen that when I ask HF related questions. To big DXers those of us using 2m can be looked at derogatorily at times. I hope nothing I said came off that way to the OP or anybody else. Always excited to see the comms world grow and the hobby gain users, we're all here to learn and all started somewhere. [emoji106]

Reactions: Overland Commander

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Im thinking more as a cautionary note than pointing at anybody. I have seen some forums where the established hams really laid it on thick. A couple right here on OB. I like to think of this group as inclusionary, and I hope we can maintain that in all our discussions. Sorry to offend anyone - not pointing the finger.
No offense taken, I probably should have elaborated more about my experience with the Boefeng, other than just stay away from it!

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
I have an Icom IC-T70A dual band HT. Does 2m/70cm fairly well. On medium power (0.5w L, 1.5w M, 5w H) I can hit the repeater 5 miles from my house and talk to anyone in the Anchorage and lower Mat-Su valley. It’s ruggedized as I’m dropsey and have dropped it on dirt, the floor and pavement a few times. Still works great. I bought the same setup for my kid when he passed his Tech. Was $200 new from Universal Radio near Columbus, OH.

Several people in my local radio club (KL7AA) have the Chinese radios with varying experience. With the vast quality variances and general issues in programming, I went with an established brand.

I have a Kenwood 271 Mobile I will be putting in my new Jeep come spring. It’s a 2 meter only, but does 25w or 65w. I picked it up on eBay for $80. There’s the current version (281) online for $155 new, I think on Amazon. If you want to be budget, find a decent one on eBay, but get a decent antenna new. I bought a dual band one from HRO online for about $50.

Good luck and welcome to ham radio. 73’s

KL4OF

Reactions: Magic Mike

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
We should never be such equipment snobs that we run people off. Its a hard area to understand at first, and we need to make it easier, not harder.
I agree with you 100%. Not everyone can just go out and spend that kind of money on a radio. Baofeng's are better than nothing at all and if you know how to operate/set it up the radio is surprisingly good. I have a UV-5R and my next purchase will be the BF-F8HP due to the fact that it has 8watts output. I would like a Kenwood or Yaesu, some day...
My Overland is about function - not bling, like so many others think of when you say "I'm an Overlander"

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP
I have both a Yaesu FT70DR and a Baofeng UV-5R, and both serve their purpose. If you have the means, then get one of the big 3 radios (Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom); however if you are on a budget or the Baofeng is something already purchased, then you can do 2 simple upgrades. First get a better antenna (way cheaper than a radio upgrade), second make a tigers tail for the radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4L_Warrior

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Otter155...

The Tiger Tail is a great DIY item to have in your rig or pack all the time no matter which HT you run.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
I also have had no problems with my uv-5r. Not the greatest at 5 watts, but tbe new ones are still $40 and are 8 watts.
I think the "cheap" ones are the only ones offering 8 watts. My Icom only does 5 watts on high (IC-T70A). The Kenwood and Yaesu models I looked at were all 5 watts max.

I went with the Icom because it's decently priced ($200) and it's ruggedized. I get the dropsies with my arthritis. I've dropped it a few times, once in a parking lot, and it's still working. Drawback for some is no digital modes. I have no DStar repeaters near me, so it's not a deal breaker for me. It's also supper easy to program with the RTSystems cable and software. My radio was used and came with that for the new unit price. That's also why I bought another when my kid got his Tech license.

Nothing wrong with the cheap route as long as the hardware doesn't cause issues with others.

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
It does look like the Baofeng is the only handheld that has 8 watts. The groups that I ride with are all switching to Baofengs and ham radios in general due to the better range than the old school cb radio. Some people are still using the shorty rubber antenna and have problems with reception. I loaned out my 771 antenna and it made a huge difference for him as he was able to pick up what the tail gunner was trying to communicate. I use an external magnetic mount 19" and have no problems with tx & rx with the group no matter how far apart we get when trail riding. I would like to add the 8watt unit to my vehicle just for that extra oomph, though.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It does look like the Baofeng is the only handheld that has 8 watts. The groups that I ride with are all switching to Baofengs and ham radios in general due to the better range than the old school cb radio. Some people are still using the shorty rubber antenna and have problems with reception. I loaned out my 771 antenna and it made a huge difference for him as he was able to pick up what the tail gunner was trying to communicate. I use an external magnetic mount 19" and have no problems with tx & rx with the group no matter how far apart we get when trail riding. I would like to add the 8watt unit to my vehicle just for that extra oomph, though.
I would suggest going ahead and buying a decent mobile. 5W vs 8W is a negligible gain when you can get a 25-50W mobile radio for not much more. I have several 2m only and 2m/440 radios I've bought used from Hamfests or other locals for $35-150. A TYT TH-9800, Kenwood TM-G707A, Icom IC-2100H, Yaesu FT-1900R and I won a Yaesu FT-2980R from our local club's raffle at the auction this year. All preform quite well. I also have two Baofeng HTs. One works good, the other will randomly open squelch and just make racket and the only way to stop it is key it up. It's annoying so I don't really use it but don't want to pass it off on someone and burden them with it.

I'm looking to add a good HT like the FT-60R, FT-70R or the VX-6R but can't make a final decision on which one I want.

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

I agree with TerryD. Are the cheaply made radios better than nothing? Yes, unless they give you a false sense of comms security. Go ahead and buy one .. or five.

I don't own any of them. Like Terry said, keep an ear out for someone selling used radio gear. Just two weeks ago l picked up a brand new looking Yaesu FT60R with all the original paperwork and accessories for $65 bucks. That makes three if them now.

Wonder if folks would buy a Chinese knock off of a HiLift jack because it's a fraction of the cost and saying it's better than nothing.

One or two less times of going out to dinner and you can get a better radio.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
I bought a 2 meter Kenwood TM-271A on eBay for $80. Works pretty good still. Does 25 or 65 watts. I have also used my HT connected to a good mag mount antenna with decent results as well for a cheaper option. If the cost of a full mobile is out, I'd suggest going that route. At least lets you talk and hear others. Then when $ is available, find a mobile unit to replace the HT in the vehicle. Better than nothing and better than the stock rubber duck antennas.

Reactions: Drifterman